BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Foreign ladies sunbathing in undies not happy to have to cover up - but police say it was for their

although I think the women were being a bit insensitive to local mores, does one then have to logically come to the conclusion that most Thai men must therefore regard partially clad women has an invitation to rape?

"unwrapped candy"

That's from the top voice of authority, pretty much sums it up.

And this is coming from a country with hundreds of thousand of half naked bar girls and street walkers...

did any one said double standards here?......

A "naked bar" is an appropriate place for women who want to expose their bodies to do so.

People who go to those bars expect to see that and are not offended by it.

doing so in a public place where those who do not want to see it are exposed to it, is not appropriate at all.

And this is coming from a country with hundreds of thousand of half naked bar girls and street walkers...

True.. When speaking of a tiny fraction of Thailand. You should get out more.

Yes a stupid comment.

"Half naked"? Not in Pattaya. They are fully naked.

But you don't see even bar girls lying around public parks in Ayuttaya. There are strippers in most countries but it doesn't mean you can strip in public parks or on church grounds.

The cop pulled them up for inappropriate behaiviour and then they were rude to him. He should have arrested them and given them some Thai style attitude adjustment. It sounded like they needed it. Rude western slags.

If and when they actually get molested or raped here, they'll remember the advice of this "annoying" policeman.

Last month I had to spend a night in a hotel/resort, near the airport in Bangkok.

There was a young American woman at the pool wearing nothing but a skimpy bra and thong style panties.

She actually pointed out to me that she was wearing underwear and not a bikini.

She laughed and said the really was not much difference.

There was a difference, when wet, she may has well have been naked.

People with children were leaving the pool area as soon as they saw her.

Except for western tourist resort areas, bikinis are pretty rare to see in Thailand.

It is a modest culture.

I am not in favour of girls sunbathing in a public park in their undies, but.....

Well, it is all about the girls, yes?

The policeman warned them because he was afraid the local man might not be able to restrain themselves?

Beg pardon, is that not the same reasoning behind the female coverings favoured by the "religion of peace".

Which is in fact a means to restrict women?

No

True.. When speaking of a tiny fraction of Thailand. You should get out more.

Yes a stupid comment.

"Half naked"? Not in Pattaya. They are fully naked.

But you don't see even bar girls lying around public parks in Ayuttaya. There are strippers in most countries but it doesn't mean you can strip in public parks or on church grounds.

The cop pulled them up for inappropriate behaiviour and then they were rude to him. He should have arrested them and given them some Thai style attitude adjustment. It sounded like they needed it. Rude western slags.

Article says they walked off in a huff. Which of course is exactly how anyone would expect them to react. People don't like being told what to do, especially western females.

This is definitely mountains out mole hills.

although I think the women were being a bit insensitive to local mores, does one then have to logically come to the conclusion that most Thai men must therefore regard partially clad women has an invitation to rape?

On the evidence, yes.

Agreed. I think topless sunbathing is frowned upon here also.

Thai society can be quite conservative in some ways I think.

Also, it's not unheard of for young western women to be raped/murdered here. They need to realise that things are very different here to the West. Occasionally we hear of Westerners getting into trouble in places like Dubai, for carrying-on on the beach as if they are in a Mediterranean resort.

I'm with the cops on this one.

(The blonde looks rather comely!thumbsup.gifrolleyes.gif).

Let's be fair for a change??this is Thailand, it is not normal to sunbathe in your bikini in a public park.Girls may do that at home but this is not home.You must accept their rules and respect the culture too.If you don't like it lump it

I am curious, having not lived in Europe for 37 years, is it now quite normal for girls to sunbathe in their underwear?

they don't

I have it on the highest authority that it would have been OK if they were fat and ugly?

Seriously, though, given what we read on a daily basis, I think the police officer was absolutely correct.

They shouldn't be sunbathing in their underwear anywhere but a beach or pool. Its not right at Ayutthaya.

And I think he has a duty to protect. If this was a secluded space, they were absolutely putting themselves at risk.

We here a lot about lack of police presence and not protecting tourists and yet when this officer does just that he comes in for criticism.

I say, well done sir.

Let's be fair for a change??this is Thailand, it is not normal to sunbathe in your bikini in a public park.Girls may do that at home but this is not home.You must accept their rules and respect the culture too.If you don't like it lump it

except the policemn wasn't citing "cultural rules" was he? He was suggesting they might be sexually assaulted. Is it part of "Thai culture" that scantily clad women must be "gagging for it"?

Exactly ! On my first trip here, 20 years ago already, the Lonely planet for Thailand recommended not to do this and advised always to adhere to local customs especially around temples and official buildings.

You would think that today, with the internet and all and almost everybody carrying a smart phone, that people are better informed nowadays....yeah right!