Where to have lunch in Sawang Daen Din?

Ombra

I'll be driving from Nakhon Phanom to Nong Khai on Tuesday, and I expect to be near Sawang Daen Din around lunchtime. If anyone can recommend a decent quality restaurant, I'd be very grateful.

Bansuan Swetkamol is adjoining the Chuanthanapanya Resort, about 1.5km from the centre of Sawang Daen Din, turn up by the Bangkok Bank traffic lights on the corner.

Stayed a few nights at the resort and had several meals at this adjoining restaurant. It really is very nice.

Google maps seems to use its thai text name of บ้านสวนเศวตกมล - next to Ban Suan Saowamuk

This is very helpful, Bredbury Blue. I've found the place on the map and I look forward to having lunch there. It has the added bonus of a resort next door that is worth knowing about. Thanks very much indeed.

Thank you for the additional information. I'll make sure that we leave home a bit earlier so that we have time to look around the resort.

The restaurant was open yesterday and so we managed to avoid Tesco and the gai yaang with MSG. It is a lovely place and we had a very enjoyable lunch. The wife is sending pictures to her friends. We were impressed by the hotel as well. What surprised me, though, was to see how many customers the place had on a Thursday lunchtime a couple of weeks after payday. The parking spaces on the road were almost all taken when we left at about 12.15. Thanks again for an excellent recommendation.

Question for you:

You were driving from Nakhon Phanom to Nong Khai via Udon presumably. Ever go following the mekong route, is it a nice route, anything of interest, anywhere decent to stay/eat?

I ask as the wife is from Sakon area so we go along the khon kaen..Ubon..Sakon..Nakhon P..Mukdahan route often but we've never followed the river from Nakhon Phanom to Nong Khai or vice versa.

You are right. We drove from Nakhon Phanom via Udon, and yesterday we were in a hurry because one of my wife's relatives was waiting in Nong Khai to take us to Vientiane. We parked the car with one relative and travelled with another. I was thinking of returning on the road you mentioned because I have heard that is an interesting trip, but so far I know nothing about it.

A beautiful road I did many times on my MTBike; we are speaking about the road 212 along the Mekong; but often too far from it .

You can have a good lunch or dinner at Beung Khan, restaurant along the Mekong .;

Some photos shot in march 2014, cycling with a french friend

Not far from Nong Khai

25640829015_96a19ded84_b.jpg

25614615606_2215e5dd8b_b.jpg

We are at Beung Khan

25640777425_ba99bedd69_b.jpg

25614549326_a3f579dce7_b.jpg

You can often follow a secondary road which is close the Mekong

25273021239_d61e367a08_b.jpg

and discover sometimes ...it's name is " Little Italy "; it belongs to a thai who has a mill to make ice and water for the table

25548305661_d4b148c8d2_b.jpg

25522270922_da56f023ce_b.jpg

25522258932_8b7132f449_b.jpg

There is a nice outdoor " museum " about dinosaures on the right side of the road

26036586346_970693d761_b.jpg

25457809864_23189b29de_b.jpg

25457790684_ed7e12acd7_b.jpg

Many catholic churches and colleges in Nakhon Phanom province ( also in Sakon Nakhon and Udon Thani )

25789592590_e118c413cd_b.jpg

25459870793_6f96f47c48_b.jpg

25457665254_3a65eed653_b.jpg

The cathedral of Nakhon Phanom, but you know about it

25996040221_f821353826_b.jpg

Thanks for posting and I will be doing that trip in the coming years.

Interesting about the catholics in that area. My wife is from Sakon, her story is that the vietnamese, who flooded in during the war there, established the catholic churches; I don't know if she's correct, she also says the dogmeat trade for eating in Sakon is for the vietnamese and the thai/lao don't eat it but receive the bad press.

I'm living with my wife not far from Sawang Daen Din in Sakon Nakhon province;

Saw the question too late but my answer should be the same;

on the road to Song Dao , this restaurant and Resort belongs to a thai originating from Vietnam;

Phangkhon which is a town between Sawang and Sakon is a vietnamese town; nearly 80% of the population coming from Vietnam .

In the morning we can eat vietnamese breakfast, with the coffee as in Vietnam, in a little restaurant not far from the main cross road .

Interesting about the catholics in that area. My wife is from Sakon, her story is that the vietnamese, who flooded in during the war there, established the catholic churches; I don't know if she's correct, she also says the dogmeat trade for eating in Sakon is for the vietnamese and the thai/lao don't eat it but receive the bad press.

This are Notorious in this area for eating dog in Sakon even a couple of shops near Seka, Chantaburi is also Vietnam influenced, Beautiful Cathedral, Chiang Kahn is gorgeous ride on Mekong, known as bycycle town, exciting on weekends a bore during the week

I'm living with my wife not far from Sawang Daen Din in Sakon Nakhon province;

Saw the question too late but my answer should be the same;

on the road to Song Dao , this restaurant and Resort belongs to a thai originating from Vietnam;

Phangkhon which is a town between Sawang and Sakon is a vietnamese town; nearly 80% of the population coming from Vietnam .

In the morning we can eat vietnamese breakfast, with the coffee as in Vietnam, in a little restaurant not far from the main cross road .

Very familiar with Phangkhon - great kai yaang on the main road - as that's the closest town to here village. I thought the 80% was high, but I just read your comments as the wife agreed with you including there are great viatnamese food there.

This are Notorious in this area for eating dog in Sakon even a couple of shops near Seka, Chantaburi is also Vietnam influenced, Beautiful Cathedral, Chiang Kahn is gorgeous ride on Mekong, known as bycycle town, exciting on weekends a bore during the week

We visited Loie meung and province last May, and really liked it. We enjoyed our stay in loie centre and we decided to visit Chiang Khan first to check it out before moving the hour north to stay there; glad we did, as I found Chiang Khan to be too busy for my liking weekend so we cancelled our plan to stay there. It is though a nice place to visit but too many tourists.

We were at the chanthaburi cathedral 2 weeks back, our 2nd visit, and what a wonderful place it is. Love the cathedral, a gem of a place, and the old street just over the river bridge from the cathedral is worth visiting.

Three decades here and i still come alive when we go touring upcountry.

Archived