Why are teaching salaries in Chiang Mai so low?

I'm just interested, not looking for a job in CM.

The typical salary for a NES in government schools seems to be about 25k/month, according to the many job adverts that I've seen listed. In darkest Issan, it is about 30k. Even the private and so-called international schools seem to offer very low salaries when compared to their counterparts in other provinces.

Is it simply a question of supply and demand? Personally, I cannot think of any good reason to teach in a city with a proven reputation for haze/smoke pollution.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if you can't think of any reason to work here, what do you care what the salaries are or aren't? The whole haze/pollution thing is really not the issue that a few big babies make it out to be. But again what do you care? You're not coming here, you've made up your mind, why ask at all? Stick to Isaan. It's very nice there and those of us who spend any time at Chiang Mai immigration will be grateful for one less person in the queue.

Yes I suspect it is indeed supply and demand. There are a lot of both young and old in Chiang Mai looking to pass time and make a few baht in the process. In less foreign populated regions they may have to attract teachers with higher income.

So if you can't think of any reason to work here, what do you care what the salaries are or aren't?

Ah, you've just given me a very good reason not to come to CM ==> to avoid miserable **** like you coffee1.gif

You have too much time on your hands.

Yes you're right. I have plenty of time on my hands to think and discuss a HUGE range of topics.

Why does Mars look red? (I'm not going to live there, but I'm still interested).

Why are there so few short ladyboys? (I'm not interested in banging one, but I'm still interested...)

Why did the country of Upper Volta change its name?? etc etc etc

It is called gaining knowledge, rather than living in a bubble :)

Simon, I think you will find that it is because Chiang Mai is a popular place to visit and spend a few months or a year or so.

I have seen lots of quite well qualified people travelling and just looking for teaching to pay the rent and enable them to stay a little longer. They then use CM as a base for trips around the area. So basically it is just to pad out their travelling budget.

,I wonder why garbage collectors in NJ have such low wages? I hate NJ and have no interest in garbage collecting but still, the quest of knowledge and all,I'd really like to understand this.

I'm not "in the know" but I thought private schools paid as high as 60k. 25k doesn't sound right at all. Those higher salaries come with a heavy workload, as I understand it. Working 6 days per week is apparently not uncommon, even 6 1/2.

Edit: government schools were mentioned by the OP. I've no idea about that.

more like trolling.

Is it trolling to initiate a discussion about the apparent low salary levels in CM? You have got a weird idea of what trolling is coffee1.gif

No, it is not trolling. It is a legitimate question. Not every topic has to have a very specific purpose for a particular member.

Posters are under no obligation to read the thread or to post. If you chose to do so, then please be civil and stick to the topic.

I don't know too much about CM, but I know it seems to be a fairly desirable location for foreign teachers and so I suspect that the supply side is good.

I was involved with helping to staff a school located in one of the provinces toward the southern end of Thailand (but not in the deep South). It was very difficult to get staff, for some reason. There are apparently not a lot of foreigners in the area and applicants were reluctant to relocate. The school had to sweeten the financial end of it to get fully staffed. It was also interesting that it was particularly difficult to get Filipino teachers, which are used as Teaching Assistants and Home room teachers for Nursery and KG.

Conversely at another school in a province, there is a waiting list of teachers for the school. There is no sweetening of the pot at that school.

Because it's a weirdly popular place for farangs to live.

I don't get it either. But apparently they get really defensive if you question it, so perhaps best to leave it at that.

It is possibly popular as it is at higher elevation and hence cooler than in say Bangkok

I suspect the latitude has more to do with coolness than the 300 meter elevation difference however.

And although I always liked Chiang Mai it always seemed designed to attract the low end spenders; keeping prices down. So value for money might also be a reason.

I don't get it either. But apparently they get really defensive if you question it, so perhaps best to leave it at that.

It is possibly popular as it is at higher elevation and hence cooler than in say Bangkok

Truth be known its popular because the poor farangs can rent a house just outside town from several thousand baht a month, its just coincidental about the elevation. I guarantee 95% would be on the first bus to Bangkok if the rent wasnt x5

He just made the "mistake" of mentioning the pollution. Question was legitimate.

If you mention the pollution the "pollution deniers" will be on the warpath. The truth is that the levels of pollution here are pretty bad, and not at all good for your health. Just because you don't feel too bad does not mean your health is not being damaged. If you smoke and don't much care about it, come on board.

I like Chiang Mai ... but in future I'll be here between July and December.

He just made the "mistake" of mentioning the pollution. Question was legitimate.

If you mention the pollution the "pollution deniers" will be on the warpath. The truth is that the levels of pollution here are pretty bad, and not at all good for your health. Just because you don't feel too bad does not mean your health is not being damaged. If you smoke and don't much care about it, come on board.

I like Chiang Mai ... but in future I'll be here between July and December.

No, he made the mistake of saying he doesn't want to live there and then included the answer to his question in his OP. It's a business market, supply and demand, no shortage of white people in CM unlike most towns in Isaan.

I haven't met anybody in CM denying there's a pollution problem.

Look at the first response to his post. Only "big babies" complain about pollution in Chiang Mai, apparently? It isn't really that bad, apparently?

And that's not the only post on Thai Visa that I have read suggesting the issue is exaggerated.

You're living and working in a place you've chosen, so yeah, if you're in CM and complaining I'd say you're a whiner, I agree with the post. Are you complaining about CM?

You're living and working in a place you've chosen, so yeah, if you're in CM and complaining I'd say you're a whiner, I agree with the post. Are you complaining about CM?

Interestingly there is a Lung Cancer Conference taking place here this week ... more whiners in Chiang Mai. Looks like I have company?

Am I complaining about Chiang Mai? I'm pointing out that pollution in Chiang Mai is not a small matter. Take that away and I'd happily stay here. But for me to happily stay in Chiang Mai I would have to vacate the place for several months each year, so that makes it no longer an option.

Truth be known its popular because the poor farangs can rent a house just outside town from several thousand baht a month, its just coincidental about the elevation. I guarantee 95% would be on the first bus to Bangkok if the rent wasnt x5

Would you like to put money on your 95% guarantee. People are not here because of the cheap rent, people are here because they like the place and they don't want to live in a huge metropolis like Bangkok. Your 95% guarantee just makes you look like a typical TV know it all who in reality knows nothing.

Look at the first response to his post. Only "big babies" complain about pollution in Chiang Mai, apparently? It isn't really that bad, apparently?

And that's not the only post on Thai Visa that I have read suggesting the issue is exaggerated.

Believe me it can be very bad with thousands of people treated in hospital every year as a result and some deaths resulting from the air pollution. This year, with no rain, it is still a problem in May.

Archived