Why are teaching salaries in Chiang Mai so low?

Don't believe some of the bs posts. Lung Jon hit the nail on the head. A few guys here are agents. Agencies are the problem and why wages have not gone up for teachers in 10 or 20 years. The agenices keep the money... so if a school has 45k these lazy greedy sleazdballs give a kickback to the school then offer a teacher 25 or 30k often not even paying for the off months. These guys should be tarred, feathered and run out of town. They are the problem.!

Agencies are not the problem it is the foreigners who USE "agencies" who are the problem ...............

No it isn't the foreigners who USE agencies ...it is because schools won't hire directly because it goes against the mafia program of creaming off part of the wages for the agent and kicking some of it back to certain individuals who control the hiring at the schools.

If no under/un qualified, foreign, pretend "teachers" signed up with the agencies what would happen ?

How many of these "teachers" have an appropriate visa, a work permit and approval from the Thai Teaching Council ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agencies are not the problem it is the foreigners who USE "agencies" who are the problem ...............

No it isn't the foreigners who USE agencies ...it is because schools won't hire directly because it goes against the mafia program of creaming off part of the wages for the agent and kicking some of it back to certain individuals who control the hiring at the schools.

If no under/un qualified, foreign, pretend "teachers" signed up with the agencies what would happen ?

How many of these "teachers" have an appropriate visa, a work permit and approval from the Thai Teaching Council ?

None of the "teachers" have those things, as far as I know, IF they are at the point of going to an agency to look for a job ...don't you need the job first???

I agree with the premise that there is a large supply of people who want to teach in CM ... probably both who are qualified (or could be if they wanted to be) and unqualified, and that in general would drive down prices. Has the government started sending LESS money to the schools for each foreign teacher over the last decade? I don't know, but I guess no.

I do know of private school management who can hire, want to hire, and do offer jobs to people who ARE qualified ...yet steer them through an agency ...i.e. they find the candidate, they send them to agency, to then come back and work for them. The agency does not offer a work permit.

And would it not be the agent's job to screen out "pretend teachers" who are not qualified? Or is their real value in this supply chain, something else? (It isn't necessarily finding teachers, or screening teachers, or getting them work permits.)

I think some of you all are pretty warm on the agency scams. I follow the China Forums on Dave's and a few have said that while their pay is pretty low (not nearly as low as CM), their workload is minute, as in 3 classes per week. The school gets the funding, the kids don't want to learn English, and they just need the white face for the photo ops, and the administrator gets to pocket half or more of the allotment. So everyone is happy. One poster said for maybe 20% more pay; he would have to do four times the work, and it's just not worth it.

Don't believe some of the bs posts. Lung Jon hit the nail on the head. A few guys here are agents. Agencies are the problem and why wages have not gone up for teachers in 10 or 20 years. The agenices keep the money... so if a school has 45k these lazy greedy sleazdballs give a kickback to the school then offer a teacher 25 or 30k often not even paying for the off months. These guys should be tarred, feathered and run out of town. They are the problem.!

Ignorant coment blaming the victim. I guess the problem is not with muggers but with those mugged?

Archived