Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Charlton v Chelsea

The Valley

Saturday, 3 February

Kick-off: 1500 GMT

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on MOTD

Charlton's new signing, midfielder Alexandre Song, is missing after contracting a bug.

Fellow signing Madjid Bougherra is also out as he is struggling with a calf injury, while Andy Reid, Darren Bent and Luke Young are injured.

Chelsea are boosted by the return of captain John Terry after nearly two months out with back and calf injuries.

But left-back Ashley Cole is out with damaged ligaments, so Wayne Bridge will replace him.

Charlton (from): Carson, Sankofa, El Karkouri, Hreidarsson, Thatcher, Rommedahl, Kishishev, Faye, Diawara, Holland, Hughes, Thomas, Hasselbaink, M Bent, Ambrose, Myhre.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Geremi, Ferreira, Diarra, Terry, Carvalho, Essien, Bridge, Lampard, Ballack, Makelele, Obi, Drogba, Kalou, Shevchenko, Wright-Phillips, Morais, Woods.

Charlton manager Alan Pardew:

"You can see there is a good spirit building in the group, and we have got two games now (against Chelsea and Man Utd) where we can just throw the dice and see what happens - and that is what I intend to do.

"We have worked hard on certain individuals to try to get them in the right frame of mind and convince them that our target is achievable - and that all the games are winnable, regardless of the opposition."

Chelsea captain John Terry

"We've got to make up six points on Manchester United in 13 games - seven really to go ahead.

"What that means is that we've just got to go on winning games because we can't really afford to lose points.

"If we do go on winning games, they can't afford to lose points. The race is on."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

CHARLTON ATHLETIC against Chelsea brings together the second bottom and second top clubs in the Premiership. It pits the south Londoners, who have conceded 44 League goals this season, against the west Londoners, who have scored 44. It matches the joint most frequent losers with the joint most infrequent losers. The Addicks have been beaten 15 times, the Blues just three.

It's parity for Pardew. The new Charlton boss has won two, drawn two and lost two of his six Premiership matches in charge. But this is the first of a double-header against the top two. Charlton are away to Manchester United next Saturday.

The Addicks have drawn one and lost five of their last six Premiership meetings with Chelsea. They have not beaten the Blues since a 4-2 victory on Boxing Day 2003, when Hermann Hreidarsson, Matt Holland, Jonatan Johansson and Jason Euell scored in what was a major upset. They did however hold Chelsea to a 1-1 draw in last season's third round Carling Cup tie at the Bridge on 26 October 2005, and won 5-4 on penalties - one of the few occasions Mourinho's side have been beaten in front of the home supporters.

CHELSEA are still in the running for quadruple honours this season. The reigning double Premiership champions and Carling Cup finalists have the opportunity to close the gap on League leaders Manchester United to three points once again, as the Red Devils don't visit Tottenham until Sunday. The champions have already won seven top flight games on the road - Charlton have managed only five victories home and away.

The Stamford Bridge side are seeking a 75th victory in their 102nd Premier League match under Jose Mourinho, and their fifth maximum from a London derby this season. While Chelsea have won half of their eight capital clashes in the highest League, Charlton are yet to win one. They've claimed just two points from a possible 24 against London opposition.

The Blues are pursuing a third successive victory at the Valley to complete a fourth Premiership 'double' over Charlton.

REFEREE

Mark Halsey (Lancashire)

Premiership referees' table

Mark Halsey's 2006-07 Premiership card count

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

CHARLTON ATHLETIC

Club stats

Fixtures

19th 20 points

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 17th

Lowest could fall: 19th

1. Won two of the last five Premiership outings.

2. Failed to win seven of the last nine top tier matches.

3. Won five Premiership matches all season - only Watford have registered fewer (two).

4. Need to win one more game to total 900 post war League victories.

5. Lost 15 Premiership matches this season - only West Ham have also lost that many.

6. Conceded 50 goals in all competitions this term.

7. Shipped 44 goals in the Premiership - more than any other club. That equates to one every 41 minutes on average.

8. Own the biggest negative goal difference in the highest League of -24.

9. Won two, drawn two and lost three of the seven League and Cup games under Alan Pardew.

10. Away to Manchester United after this, before two vital relegation six pointers, home to West Ham and away to Watford.

CHELSEA

Club stats

Fixtures

2nd 54 points

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 2nd

Lowest could fall: 2nd

1. Won 11 of the last 17 in all competitions, including the last three in a row, in which 10 goals were scored.

2. Lost one of 18 League and Cup matches.

3. The current tally of 54 points after the first 25 Premiership fixtures, compares with 66 points at this same stage last season.

4. Won 16 top flight games. Only leaders Manchester United (19) have won more, and both have lost just three times - fewer than any other club.

5. Scored the opening goal in 19 top tier clashes. Only the Red Devils can match that.

6. Conceded the opener on fewer occasions than any other club in Premiership matches this season (five).

7. Dropped 21 Premiership points. Only the Red Devils have dropped fewer (15).

8. Lost the last away trip (2-0 at Liverpool on 20 January).

9. Kept more clean sheets in top League encounters away from home than any other club (six).

10. Home to Middlesbrough next, before the FA Cup fifth round tie, home to either Blackpool or Norwich, and the Champions League visit to Porto.

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

CHARLTON ATHLETIC

Squad profiles

DARREN BENT is Charlton's top scorer with 10. He has netted eight in the Premiership, six more than any other club mate.

MARCUS BENT is one shy of 100 club career goals.

Talal EL-KARKOURI is the only remaining player to have figured in every minute of the Addicks' Premiership games this term.

If he plays, Amdy FAYE will be making his 100th career Premiership appearance (Portsmouth, Newcastle and Charlton).

If involved from the outset, Radostin KISHISHEV will be making his 150th start in the Premiership.

Jimmy Floyd HASSELBAINK made 177 appearances and scored 87 goals for Chelsea between June 2000 and July 2004. Of those, 136 appearances and 69 goals were in the Premiership.

CHELSEA

Squad profiles

Didier DROGBA is the highest scoring Premiership player this season with 23 goals, 15 of which are League goals putting him one clear of Manchester United's Cristiano RONALDO at the top of the table for the Barclays Golden Boot award.

Only Michael ESSIEN has figured in every minute of every one of Chelsea's Premiership matches this season.

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Charlton Athletic 0-2 Chelsea

17 September 2005 - Ref: Howard Webb

Chelsea scorers: Crespo 55, Robben 90

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Chelsea 2-1 Charlton Athletic

9 September 2006 - Ref: Alan Wiley

Chelsea scorers: Drogba 6, Ricardo Carvalho 63

Charlton scorers: Hasselbaink 54

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

Home and away

League: Charlton 22 wins, Chelsea 27, Draws 16

Prem: Charlton 5 wins, Chelsea 9, Draws 1

at Charlton only

League: Charlton 12 wins, Chelsea 11, Draws 9

Prem: Charlton 3 wins, Chelsea 4, Draws 0

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlton 0-1 Chelsea

Frank Lampard's first-half strike ensured Chelsea closed the gap on Manchester United to three points.

Lampard scored with a long-range strike and was later denied by Scott Carson, who also saved from Didier Drogba and Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Salomon Kalou clipped the post for the Blues, while Michael Ballack and Andrei Shevchenko both headed wide.

Charlton's two best chances fell to Amady Faye - and he hit the target both times but could not beat Petr Cech.

The victory was Chelsea's fourth in succession in all competitions - and with John Terry returning from injury as a late substitute, the winter blip seems well and truly over.

Chelsea started superbly - Shevchenko forced a good save with a vicious strike from a tight angle and Ballack missed the target with a header before Lampard struck with 18 minutes gone.

But Charlton rallied late on and Chelsea were hanging on at the end as the home team threw everything forward.

Lampard's goal came after Faye lost possession in midfield.

The ball found its way to Lampard, who shifted to his right to create the opening before shooting beyond Carson.

Wayne Bridge - in for Ashley Cole - delivered a series of telling crosses, one of which was met by Shevchenko, but the Ukrainian could not keep his header on target.

Carson saved a low strike from Drogba as the visiting team threatened to take the game away from Charlton.

But Alan Pardew's side almost equalised when a cross from Talal El Karkouri forced a fingertip save from Cech.

And Charlton finally enjoyed a spell of possession shortly before the break - though it was Lampard who came closest to scoring the next goal with a thunderous free-kick that Carson palmed clear on the stroke of half time.

Charlton brought on Hasselbaink for Dennis Rommedahl at the start of the second half.

But it all seemed very comfortable for Chelsea, who knocked the ball around with ease until the 68th minute, when Charlton finally opened them up.

A clever touch from Bent picked out Faye in space but his strike was athletically tipped over by Cech.

Faye was to have another good chance after getting the wrong side of Makelele but Cech denied him once more.

Chelsea substitute Kalou hit the post and Carson twice saved from Wright-Phillips - but it was Charlton who enjoyed most of the late pressure without conjuring an equaliser.

Charlton: Carson, Sankofa, El Karkouri, Hreidarsson, Thatcher, Rommedahl (Hasselbaink 46), Faye, Holland (Lisbie 78), Hughes, Thomas (Diawara 88), Marcus Bent.

Subs Not Used: Randolph, Ambrose.

Chelsea: Cech, Diarra, Essien, Carvalho, Bridge, Mikel (Wright-Phillips 75), Makelele (Terry 88), Ballack, Lampard, Shevchenko (Kalou 75), Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Geremi.

Booked: Diarra.

Goals: Lampard 18.

Att: 27,111

Ref: M Halsey (Lancashire).

I thought Bridge was superb, as usual. Also the Ref had a lot to do with letting the game flow, and not blowing up every time someone farted.

Yeah I agree, Bridgey hasn't had a bad game this season, I know he hasn't played that many games but it should be Ashley fighting for a game and not Bridge, he has at last a chance to cement a place as Cole will be out for a few weeks at least.

Halsey along with Mark Clattenburg are 2 of the best offical's in the Premiership at the moment, just been watching the Reading v Villa game and he has let things go all game, unlike some refs Poll comes to mind straight away!

I know its a big ask but we could do with Charlton upsetting the Mancs today, they surely can't go all season on this form!!

Mikel reveals family threat

Chelsea midfielder John Obi Mikel has stated he had to play for his country Nigeria on Tuesday due to threats to his family.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho wanted Mikel to pull out of the squad to face Ghana at Griffin Park due to a thigh strain.

However, Mikel was under intense pressure to feature and defied Mourinho by playing the full 90 minutes in the 4-1 defeat at Brentford.

The 19-year-old is not contemplating what could have happened to his family had he withdrawn and is hoping Mourinho understands his reasons for playing.

"Nigerian fans were threatening my family back home," Mikel told The Sun. "They believe I have started picking the games I play for my country.

"People are still angry that I didn't play in Lesotho for the 2008 African Championship qualifier.

"Only a few people know what I have been through at home in the past due to this situation.

"It was just too much for me to handle or control. God knows what would have happened to my family if I'd stayed away from this game.

"Was Jose Mourinho angry with me for playing? Definitely. He was totally disappointed. Hopefully he'll understand what I've been through.

"There was just too much pressure from the Nigerian football officials and, even though I tried to explain things to them, they refused to hear me out."

Lampard talks cleared up

Frank Lampard's agent has stated the England international is still awaiting a fresh contract offer from Chelsea and is not stalling on committing his future to the club.

It had been rumoured the ex-West Ham ace was stalling over putting pen-to-paper on a new long-term contract with the Stamford Bridge outfit.

However, agent Steve Kutner has stated while negotiations started at the back end of last year, the 28-year-old does not have a firm offer on the table.

Kutner is keen to end all the speculation surrounding his client's future, after being strongly linked with Barcelona, and has stated he loves The Blues.

"With all the rumours and conspiracy theories going around we want to make the situation on Frank's contract absolutely clear," Kutner told The Sun.

"I spoke to Peter Kenyon towards the end of last season about extending Frank's contract.

"Frank absolutely loves the club and his relationship with the supporters is fantastic. They have been great ever since he arrived.

"Before Christmas last year we started negotiations. At present we are waiting for Chelsea to get back to us with an offer.

"In the meantime Frank is just concentrating on winning every game he plays for Chelsea."

Chelsea v Middlesbrough

Stamford Bridge

Saturday, 10 February

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on MOTD

Chelsea are waiting for fitness reports on Wayne Bridge and Michael Ballack, who both have thigh injuries, but skipper John Terry returns.

Khalid Boulahrouz (knee) may be fit and Arjen Robben could return after being sidelined with an ankle injury.

Middlesbrough striker Mark Viduka is a doubt with a calf injury.

Lee Cattermole (hamstring) is out but keeper Mark Schwarzer is likely to return and new signing Dong Gook Leeis in the squad for the first time.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Geremi, Terry, Carvalho, Essien, Makelele, Lampard, Obi, Diarra, Morais, Ballack, Bridge, Drogba, Shevchenko, Wright-Phillips, Kalou.

Middlesbrough (from): Schwarzer, Jones, Turnbull, Xavier, Davies, Woodgate, Pogatetz, Taylor, Hines, Boateng, Lee, Arca, Morrison, Downing, Euell, Rochemback, Johnson, Yakubu, Viduka, Christie, Lee.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho on making it three years unbeaten at Stamford Bridge:

"If we draw then that will be the record, but it is not a good result.

"So I am not looking for the record. If I want to chase that record, I will also chase my personal record because Chelsea are three years at home undefeated in league games, I am six years. "But that is not the point. The point is we have to win and I believe we will."

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate:

"Mark Viduka (calf) is 50-50 but he is an outstanding player so I'm hoping he comes through. As long as he keeps that belief, he will always cause teams problems. He is a massive influence.

"Having said that, one of the keys to our recent good form has been fringe players coming into the team and doing a job.

"The likes of Jason Euell, Malcolm Christie and Andrew Davies. They have been unbelievably supportive."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

CHELSEA entertain Middlesbrough knowing that three points is essential to keep leaders Manchester United in their sights. The Blues, who are nine points behind their tally at this same stage of last season's title winning campaign, play their last Premiership fixture of the month six points off the pace. FA Cup, Champions League and Carling Cup ties follow before another League fixture, by which time they could be 15 points behind Sir Alex Ferguson's side.

The Londoners have won their last four League and Cup matches and lost just one of 19 in all competitions. They are unbeaten in 57 Premiership encounters at Stamford Bridge.

The Blues have won 11 of the last 14 home meetings in League and Cup with Middlesbrough, and have not lost to the Teessiders at the Bridge since 1975. The last time Chelsea were relegated in 1987-88, it was Middlesbrough who sent them down with a 2-1 aggregate win in the play-offs.

MIDDLESBROUGH have not lost this year. They are undefeated in the eight Premiership and FA Cup fixtures contested in 2007.

Gareth Southgate has only seen his side win once on their Premiership travels and that was on the most recent sojourn to London, beating Charlton 1-3 at the Valley on 13 January. When the sides take the field Southgate will be two days short of 250 in charge at the Riverside, while Jose Mourinho will be celebrating his 950th day in the Stamford Bridge hot seat.

'Boro are bidding for a third successive victory over Chelsea, but they've never won in the Premiership at Stamford Bridge. Mark Viduka came off the bench to secure a last ditch victory and second successive home maximum over the champions in August, when Andriy Shevchenko scored his first League goal in England for the Londoners. The Teessiders are aiming for a first 'double' over Chelsea in 70 years. They last achieved it in the top flight in 1937-38.

REFEREE

Chris Foy (St Helens, Merseyside)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

CHELSEA

Club stats

Fixtures

2nd 56 points

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 2nd

Lowest could fall: 2nd

1. Won the last four against Wycombe (Carling Cup), Nottingham Forest (FA Cup), Blackburn (PL) and Charlton (PL), scoring 11 and conceding none in the process.

2. Won 17 top flight games. Only Manchester United have registered more (20). Both have lost just three - fewer than any other clubs.

3. Scored 45 top League goals - only Manchester United (61) and Arsenal (46) have netted more often.

4. Conceded 19 times in the top tier. Only Liverpool (17) and Manchester United (18) have tighter defences.

5. Won 16 of the 20 top League games in which they've opened the scoring. Only Manchester United have scored first that often in a Premiership game this season.

6. Failed to score in only two Premiership games against Aston Villa 0-0 (a) and Liverpool 0-2 (a). No club has missed the target less often, although Manchester United have also failed to net in two games.

7. Kept 14 Premiership clean sheets, including the last two. Only Liverpool have done better, with 15 block-outs.

8. Won the last five in all competitions at Stamford Bridge, scoring 10 and conceding none in the last three.

9. Not lost a home Premiership game under Mourinho (won 41, drawn 10), nor been defeated in the top division at the Bridge since a 1-2 reverse to Arsenal on 21 February 2004 (won 45, drawn 12). If they can maintain that run until the end of this season they will equal Liverpool's record of 63 home League matches without defeat.

10. A home fifth round FA Cup tie follows this next Saturday, before a visit to Porto in the Champions League, a trip to the Millennium Stadium for the Carling Cup final against Arsenal and an outing to Portsmouth in the Premiership.

MIDDLESBROUGH

Club stats

Fixtures

12th 32 points

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 9th

Lowest could fall: 15th

1. Drawn the last three in League and Cup, against Bristol City (FA Cup), Portsmouth (PL) and Arsenal (PL).

2. Undefeated in eight.

3. Won four and drawn four in all competitions, since losing 2-1 at Blackburn in the Premiership on 30 December.

4. Unbeaten in five League games (11 points frm the 15 available in 2007).

5. Scored 30 times and conceded 30 in this Premiership season.

6. Home to Bristol City next Tuesday in an FA Cup fourth round replay, before the north-east derby at Newcastle and home fixture with Manchester City in the Premiership.

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

CHELSEA

Squad profiles

Didier DROGBA is the highest scoring Premiership player this season with 23 goals, 15 of which are League goals. The Ivory Coast International is level with Manchester United's Cristiano RONALDO at the top of the table for the Barclays Golden Boot award.

Only Michael ESSIEN has figured in every minute of every one of Chelsea's Premiership matches this season.

If he participates, GEREMI will be facing his former club. The Cameroon international midfielder made 34 appearances (33 Prem) and scored seven goals (all Prem) in his season on loan to Middlesbrough from Real Madrid (2002-03).

MIDDLESBROUGH

Squad profiles

Aiyegbeni YAKUBU is Middlesbrough's top scorer with 13 goals - 11 in the Premiership.

Only YAKUBU has figured in at least a part of every one of the Teessiders' Premiership games this term.

If he plays, Emanuel POGATETZ will be making his 50th Premiership appearance - all for Middlesbrough.

If on the field from the outset, Jonathan WOODGATE will be making his 150th English League start (Leeds, Newcastle and Middlesbrough).

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Chelsea 1-0 Middlesbrough

3 December 2005 - Ref: Mike Riley

Chelsea scorer: Terry 62

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Middlesbrough 2-1 Chelsea

23 August 2006 - Ref: Howard Webb

Middlesbrough scorers: Pogatetz 80, Viduka 90

Chelsea scorer: Shevchenko 16

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

Home and away

League: Chelsea 42 wins, Middlesbrough 28, Draws 29

Prem: Chelsea 12 wins, Middlesbrough 5, Draws 6

at Chelsea only

League: Chelsea 31 wins, Middlesbrough 5, Draws 13

Prem: Chelsea 8 wins, Middlesbrough 0, Draws 3

Chelsea 3-0 Middlesbrough

Two Didier Drogba strikes and an own goal from Abel Xavier were enough to give Chelsea victory against Middlesbrough at Stamford Bridge.

Drogba opened the scoring when he curled in a low 20-yard free-kick.

Xavier poked in Arjen Robben's driven ball, before Drogba added his second with a free-kick that looped in following an Andrew Davies deflection.

Boro's best chance came in the opening moments of the game when Mark Viduka headed wide from six yards.

The visitors more than matched their esteemed Premiership rivals for much of the opening half and were unlucky to go into the break a goal down.

Arguably, the best chance of the 45 minutes fell to the visitors when Viduka, almost inexplicably, headed wide from six yards after connecting with Andrew Taylor's left-wing cross.

His strike partner, Yakubu, also caused the Chelsea defence - minus Ricardo Carvalho - a lot of bother.

The bulky Nigeria forward sprung the offiside trap and took the ball into the area before cutting back only to see keeper Petr Cech palm the ball away and deprive Viduka of a shot on goal.

Chelsea duo Drogba and Andriy Shevchenko also looked lively, although perhaps they did not work as well in tandem as their rival pairing.

Nevertheless, individually they were a joy to watch. Ukraine's star striker Shevchenko created one piece of sublime trickery on the touchline to beat two Boro markers and also struck a shot from 25 yards that flew two yards wide.

Drogba also saw two fierce efforts fly narrowly wide early in the half, before finally hitting the bullseye when his sidefooted 20-yard free-kick broke through the flimsy Boro wall to beat the dive of Schwarzer.

Boro came close to levelling the scores midway through the second half when Yakubu's jinking run ended with a scooped shot over the bar.

The striker and the rest of Gareth Southgate's team were left to rue that miss, when Portuguese defender Xavier inadvertantly deflected substitute Robben's driven ball past the helpless Schwarzer.

Robben, who had been out for four games with an ankle injury, had only been on the pitch for a minute after coming on to replace the injured Lassana Diarra.

Chelsea rounded off the scoring late in the game when Drogba, with the aid of Davies' shoulder, scored his 25th goal of the season from a set-piece on the left-corner of the 18-yard box.

Chelsea: Cech, Diarra (Robben 65), Ferreira, Terry, Bridge, Essien, Makelele, Lampard, Kalou (Wright-Phillips 85), Drogba, Shevchenko (Geremi 88).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Boulahrouz.

Goals: Drogba 45, Xavier 66 og, Drogba 83.

Middlesbrough: Schwarzer, Davies, Xavier, Pogatetz, Taylor, Morrison (Euell 73), Boateng, Arca (Rochemback 84), Downing, Viduka (Christie 84), Yakubu.

Subs Not Used: Jones, Hines.

Booked: Downing.

Att: 41,699

Ref: C Foy (Merseyside).

Oh well, it certainly was a big ask of lowly Charlton to do us a favour and beat the leading lights at the weekened. I really can't see them keeping it up for the remainder of the season. They have 3 consecutive away games coming up, albeit 1 of those being in the Champions League and the other 2 against Fulham and Liverpool. I may be clutching at straws but a dip in form is surely around the corner. All we can do is just keeping winning so when they do slip up we are there to take advantage.

We are coming back to form and looking stronger each game, having said that we have struggled in the 1st half of our last 2 games but luckly still came away with maximum points. Its also great having JT & Cech back in the fold, must be a massive boost for the team which can only lift moral and team spirit.

Winning the Premiership last season wasn't that great for me as it was far too easy, if we win it this season and I'm sure we will its going to be such a great achievement as we are fighting Man Utd all the way. Its a shame the other so called big 2 aren't giving us more of a challenge, then that would be interesting.

COME ON THE BLUES!!

Lampard won't invoke Fifa rule

Frank Lampard's agent insists the Chelsea midfielder is not planning to invoke a Fifa rule which would allow him to leave at the end of this season.

The England international has been in discussions regarding a contract extension at Stamford Bridge and is waiting for the Premiership champions to return with an offer.

But, under Article 17 of Fifa's transfer regulations, Lampard would be entitled to unilaterally cancel his contract in the summer.

A three-year 'protected period' on his present deal will have expired at the end of the season, allowing the midfielder to buy out the remainder of his contract.

However, his representative Steve Kutner has played down fears Lampard could walk away from Chelsea, although he is determined to ensure the 28-year-old is paid what he is worth.

"He's not intending to invoke the clause," Kutner told The Independent.

"We know about the rule and I've talked to (Chelsea chief executive) Peter Kenyon about what Frank's worth to Chelsea, and what he's worth to other clubs.

"The fact of the matter is that Frank's about as indispensable to Chelsea as anyone, not just creating goals and scoring them, but as a marketing icon.

"His shirt sales outstrip any other player by four to one."

Diarra eyes Blues stay

Lassana Diarra has vowed to prove himself at Chelsea after making peace with manager Jose Mourinho.

The 21-year-old appeared to be on his way out of Stamford Bridge last month following a run-in with his coach.

He turned up late for the FA Cup win over Macclesfield, prompting Mourinho to hand the midfielder a severe dressing down.

Paris Saint Germain came in with a loan offer for Diarra in January, but Mourinho called a halt to the deal at the 11th hour and the pair have since made their peace.

"We had a long discussion and both made our point," Diarra told The Sun.

"He did not promise I would be first choice but said I would get a chance."

Diarra has been a regular starter in recent games and he is determined to establish himself at Stamford Bridge.

He added: "Now I am starting in more matches and the team is also winning.

"I have a contract at Chelsea and am staying.

Cole eyes quick Blues return

Ashley Cole is hopeful of returning to full training for Chelsea in a matter of weeks.

The former Arsenal full-back has been out of action since damaging knee ligaments against Blackburn on transfer deadline day.

Chelsea feared the England international could face a lengthy spell on the sideline following the injury, although to Cole's relief he did not rip his cruciate.

Instead of missing the rest of this season and the start of next term, Cole was given a two-month recovery period and now the 26-year-old is looking to resume full training next month.

"When you get injured you have to start your rehabilitation straight away. After I did it the next day I was in a leg brace trying to keep the muscle going," he told Chelsea TV.

"You can't let it get too relaxed and not work enough to protect your leg in other parts. It's been hard for me, but I'm enjoying it.

"It's not worth it for me to go sit on a beach somewhere when I could be here training and trying to get fit. It's been great to be around the lads as well.

"I didn't rip the cruciate which is a good thing. I think if I'd had done it would have been maybe eight to nine months out, but obviously from then it's now six to eight weeks.

"I'm getting stronger now and working hard and hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be back."

Essien: We can keep title

Chelsea midfielder Michael Essien believes his side can still retain the Premiership title.

The Blues have won five games on the bounce in all competitions, with the West Londoners already in the Carling Cup final later this month.

Despite being six points behind leaders Manchester United in the table, the Ghana international feels Chelsea are in their best form.

"We still believe in ourselves that we can do it," Essien told Sky Sports News.

"It's up to us to keep going, to fight hard, and will see what we can do.

"For the past four or five games, we've been playing fantastic.

"We hope things will continue like that."

Chelsea remain in the hunt for four honours this season, and the former Lyon star feels The Blues can win them all.

"We know anything can happen," he added. "We should just believe in ourselves."

In order to fulfil the achievement, Jose Mourinho's side must face another lower division club in Championship side Norwich City in the FA Cup fifth round on Saturday.

"It's going to be difficult when you play against a smaller team, they are always motivated against you," Essien said.

"We have to be strong in our head to play our best football. Hopefully, was can beat them."

The 24-year-old gave his support to beleaguered striker Andrei Shevchenko, claiming the former Milan star can still be a top striker in English football.

"He's had a very difficult time, but I think he's getting better and he's getting used to the Premiership," he said.

"We should give him some time and he will be at the top."

Chelsea v Norwich

Stamford Bridge

Saturday 17 February

Fifth Round

Referee: Rob Styles (Hampshire)

Replay date (if required) : Tues, 27 Feb, 1945 GMT

FA Cup coverage on the BBC Sport website includes animated highlights, your player ratings and live text commentaries. Radio and television coverage on BBC Radio Five Live and Match of the Day on BBC One.

Chelsea defender Ricardo Carvalho is set to return after recovering from a fever and should start alongside skipper John Terry.

Mikel Jon Obi (thigh) returns to the squad but Ashley Cole, Joe Cole and Michael Ballack are unavailable.

Norwich manager Peter Grant is expected to name the same team that started the replay against Blackpool.

In-form striker Darren Huckerby will continue up front as he hopes to add to the two goals he scored in midweek.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Geremi, Terry, Carvalho, Essien, Makelele, Lampard, Obi, Diarra, Morais, Ballack, Bridge, Drogba, Shevchenko, Wright-Phillips, Kalou.

Chelsea assistant manager Steve Clarke:

"The pitch has been poor since December when we changed it, but it hasn't affected our performances at home.

"The pitch is poor, but it's not a leveller for Norwich. We played on poor pitches against Wycombe and Forest.

"If you have the class it should be enough. The banana skin aspect comes with the territory, we're comfortable being favourites."

Norwich boss Peter Grant:

"We're not going there with a white flag, we're going there to win the game.

"There haven't been too many shocks in the competition so far, and these two clubs were playing each other in the league not too long ago.

"We know there are certain things we can exploit but to do that we've got to have the ball and be brave in possession."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

CHELSEA have had the luck of the draw on their side, as they look to progress one step nearer to the first FA Cup final to be staged at the new Wembley, having won the last to be contested there in 2000 (beating Aston Villa 1-0). They've been drawn at home to lower division opposition in all three rounds, beating League Two Macclesfield and League One Nottingham Forest by an aggregate score of 9-1. Now they entertain Norwich City of the Championship, the lowest ranked club still in the competition.

Still pursuing Manchester United in defence of their League trophy, the Premiership champions play away to FC Porto in the knock out stages of the Champions League on Wednesday, and Arsenal in the final of the Carling Cup at the Millennium Stadium next Sunday. The FA Cup is still the only domestic honour to elude manager Jose Mourinho and owner Roman Abramovich, despite investment of over £400 million. The Londoners have won their last five in all competitions, and six on the bounce at Stamford Bridge, where they've not been beaten in 28 games, nor in 58 Premiership matches stretching back three years.

Last season's semi-finalists have fallen at the fifth round hurdle in two of the last three years. But since their third round elimination in 1998, Chelsea have been winners once, losing finalists once, been knocked out in the semi-finals once and in the quarter-finals twice. They have not been humbled by a lower division side since second tier Millwall defeated them on penalties in a fourth round replay at the Bridge on 8 February 1995.

NORWICH CITY faced few problems in overcoming the potential banana skin of non League Tamworth in the third round, but required extra time in a fourth round replay against League One Blackpool before progressing 3-2 at Carrow Road on Wednesday night. Now the side, just four places above the Championship relegation zone and 36 places below Chelsea, have a glamour tie and the chance to ply their trade in London's west end against some of the best players in the world.

This is one of four Premiership against Championship fifth round fixtures, and the fourth time Chelsea and Norwich have been drawn against each other in the FA Cup. The Canaries are yet to knock out the Londoners, but did hold them to a goalless draw at Carrow Road in the third round in 2002, before losing the replay 4-0 to goals from Mario Stanic, Frank Lampard, Gianfranco Zola and Mikael Forssell.

The Norfolk club have lost their last three meetings with Chelsea in the Premiership and FA Cup, scoring one goal and conceding 11. They've failed to win in four against them and failed to score in three of that quartet. Manager Peter Grant was assistant to West Ham's Alan Pardew when the Hammers lost last season's final against Liverpool. Now the Scot is hoping Norwich can become the first club to beat Chelsea inside 90 minutes at Stamford Bridge since Barcelona in March last year, and thus qualify for the quarter-finals for the first time in 15 years, when they went on to reach the semi-finals for the third time in their history.

Abramovich 'committed to Chelsea'

Chelsea assistant boss Steve Clarke has insisted that owner Roman Abramovich is not losing interest in the club.

The Russian billionaire has not attended any of Chelsea's last six matches, leading to speculation that he could be considering his position.

But ahead of Saturday's FA Cup tie with Norwich, Clarke said: "Roman has been on business. He is back today and we're looking forward to seeing him.

"There is no question he is committed to Chelsea."

Abramovich will be in the stands as Chelsea play host to the Canaries in the fifth round.

And Clarke admits it will be good for the club as a whole - and he hopes it will also send out a message to the doubters.

Clarke added: "Roman doesn't have to prove anything else. It's good when you see him with and around the team. He enjoys being with the players and coaching staff.

"It will be good for the atmosphere around the club and maybe the speculation over why he's not there will stop.

"He has been in Russia taking care of business and, if you're worth that amount of money, it's understandable when he has matters to take care of."

Clarke's contract expires at the end of the season but the former Blues defender is in no hurry to begin negotiations over a new deal.

He said: "It's not difficult when I see speculation about other coaches being brought in.

"I focus on my job. I'm a level-headed fellow and the speculation doesn't affect me. I've been at this club for 18 out of the last 20 years.

"I see no reason why they would want to get rid of me. I sleep very well at night and look forward to the next day of work.

"I haven't spoken to manager Jose Mourinho at all about my contract. Contracts are a personal thing for me and it's the same for the boss."

Chelsea 4-0 Norwich

Chelsea overcame a resolute Norwich side and an awful Stamford Bridge pitch to move into the FA Cup quarter-finals.

The Championship side hit the post through Dickson Etuhu before Shaun Wright-Phillips' deflected half-volley gave the Blues a barely deserved lead.

Didier Drogba's neat spin and shot made it 2-0 and Chelsea sealed the win with two injury-time strikes.

Michael Essien tapped in the first from close range and fellow sub Andriy Shevchenko's fine header made it 4-0.

The scoreline was more than a little harsh on the visitors who were in the game until Essien's late goal.

Norwich had the worst possible start when goalkeeper David Marshall was forced off with a badly twisted ankle.

Marshall stumbled awkwardly on the uneven playing surface and had to be replaced by Paul Gallacher.

But Norwich had started brightly and very nearly took a deserved lead when Etuhu strode through the midfield and hit a low shot which bobbled past Petr Cech only to come back off the inside off the post.

Lee Croft looked set to stroke in the rebound but Khaild Boulahrouz did superbly to clear the follow-up.

Boulahrouz - back in the side after six weeks out with a knee injury - was soon joining Gallacher back in the treatment rooms though after damaging his shoulder when defending a corner.

Championship side Norwich were on top and Chelsea's play was looking a little disjointed.

Mikel Jon Obi, Arjen Robben and Wright-Phillips were struggling to get in the game and Norwich, with Etuhu and Darren Huckerby to the fore, were posing problems.

Blues skipper John Terry had to react quickly to deny Huckerby a free shot from five yards after a Boulahrouz mis-kick.

But with the Canaries beginning to look comfortable and Chelsea far from their best, the Londoners took the lead.

Lampard, who had earlier twice been denied by decent parried saves, had a third shot blocked on the edge of the area but the ball broke to Wright-Phillips whose deflected half-volley flashed past Gallacher.

And Chelsea effectively sealed the tie minutes into the second half when a Lampard corner rebounded off Chris Brown and back towards goal and Drogba was able to turn and shoot home.

The impressive Arjen Robben was a constant threat and wasted several glorious openings while Lampard curled a free-kick narrowly over the bar.

But Norwich almost set up a nervy finale with a frantic five-minute spell.

Croft was unlucky to see his measured volley canon back off the bar and Jason Shackell had a sharp effort well saved by Cech seconds later.

Dion Dublin also tested the Blues keeper with a header but Chelsea doubled the advantage with two injury-time strikes.

Essien tapped home the first from close range after a fine run and pull-back from Shevchenko.

And Shevchenko completed the scoring with a superb header from Salomon Kalou's pinpoint cross.

Chelsea: Cech, Geremi, Boulahrouz (Essien 44), Terry, Ferreira, Diarra, Mikel, Lampard (Shevchenko 69), Robben, Wright-Phillips, Drogba (Kalou 56).

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Bridge.

Booked: Diarra.

Goals: Wright-Phillips 39, Drogba 51, Essien 90, Shevchenko 90.

Norwich: Marshall (Gallacher 11), Hughes, Shackell, Dublin, Drury, Croft, Safri, Etuhu (Fotheringham 59), Lappin (Martin 79), Huckerby, Brown.

Subs Not Used: Colin, Doherty.

Booked: Hughes, Fotheringham.

Att: 41,537

Ref: R Styles (Hampshire).

Roman's empire makes £80.2m loss

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich has no intention of walking away from Stamford Bridge, with the reassurance coming on the morning the club revealed losses of £80.2million for the year ended June 2006.

The club's director of public affairs Simon Greenberg has moved to quell fears with regards Abramovich's future, following the billionaire's non-appearance at Chelsea games in recent weeks, amidst talk of a spat with manager Jose Mourinho.

Although Greenberg believes the confirmed losses do need to be reduced, he is confident that costs being cut by 42.9 per cent indicates the club are heading in the right direction, of the opinion they are still on course for their long-term plan to break even by 2010.

While Abramovich has ploughed £500million of his personal fortune into the club and in the process made them perhaps the biggest player in the global transfer market, Greenberg has intimated that the idea is turn Chelsea's policy from buying big, into one of nurturing young talent of their own.

"No, I do not think it is success," he told Radio 4. "It is moving in the right direction, reducing losses and increasing major income streams.

"Our turnover was up and football activities increased income by 6.6 per cent.

"It matters to him (Abramovich) and it matters to us as we have an ambitious and challenging target of breaking even by June 2012. We are on track or at least hope to get very near to it.

"We are not spending as much as we used to do on wages and they are more manageable. We are not spending as much on players, wages are down by 2 per cent. We think that has become more stable and as revenues grow the business will become more successful."

Greenberg insisted that Abramovich remains entirely committed to Chelsea's cause, explaining his absence from games in recent weeks was due to other business commitments.

"He has a lot of business to attend to," he added. "Mr Abramovich made his views clear about transfer policy and investing in the academy.

"You can never say never [that Chelsea would not buy a £20million player] but that would be an exception.

"We would hope not to have to go to that level and that our academy would bear fruit in the near future."

In summary, Chelsea reduced losses by £60million to the year ended June 30, 2006. Losses were reduced by 42.9 per cent from £140.4million (2004-05) to £80.2million (2005-06), while turnover increased by 2.3 per cent from £146.6million (2004-05) to £150million (2005-06).

Merchandising increased by 44 per cent from £7.7million to £11.1million, and football activities increased by 6.3 per cent from £122.7million to £130.4million.

Well things are certainly looking up! haha whats a mere £80 million to a man that is worth in the region of between 8 - 14 Billion pounds.

I do believe in wage capping but I think that is too late now for the big boys in squad, John Terry and Frank Lampard are supposedly about to sign long term contracts for £150,000 per week! No wonder the normal fan is being priced out of the game. How can anyone seriously justify that kind of money. I'm sure if I was in his shoes I would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Surely they could survive on £60,000 a week and then make up the rest by receiving cash bonuses on goals and glory.

Come on Chelsea think about the man who put you where you are! the everyday fan who supports you over land and sea - and Leicester! :o

Big guns kept apart in Cup draw

Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal will avoid each other if they all reach the FA Cup quarter-finals.

The winner of the replay between United and Reading will travel to Middlesbrough or West Bromwich Albion.

Chelsea will face Tottenham at home while Arsenal or Blackburn will host Manchester City in the ties to be played on 10 and 11 March.

Ian Holloway's Plymouth meet Watford at Home Park in a repeat of the 1984 semi-final, won by the Hornets.

"We're delighted with anybody at home," Holloway told BBC Five Live. "They've got the travelling and our fans can come out and celebrate.

"All I want to do is give them a hel_l of a game.

"Watford will get themselves out of where they are in the league and their team is epitomised by never ever giving up."

Watford forward Tommy Smith believes victory at Argyle can help the club's bid for Premiership survival.

He said: "Most clubs want to avoid the bigger clubs so we're fairly pleased with the trip to Plymouth.

"We didn't play brilliantly in the last round and Ipswich gave us a tough time.

"I think the cup run has helped though. It gives you a bit of momentum that you can carry from the cup into the league."

FA Cup quarter-final draw

Middlesbrough or West Brom v Manchester United or Reading

Arsenal or Blackburn v Manchester City

Chelsea v Tottenham

Plymouth v Watford

Mourinho & Lampard to stay - Buck

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck says he expects manager Jose Mourinho and midfielder Frank Lampard to both be at the club next season.

Like Mourinho, Lampard's future has been the subject of much speculation - but Buck is confident they will stay.

"We are in the process of renegotiating contracts for Frank and for John Terry too," Buck told Sky Sports.

"We love Jose - he has done a great job here. He told us he has not had talks with other clubs and I believe him."

Lampard, 28, has been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge and could take advantage of a ruling that would allow him to buy out the remainder of his contract and move on for a fraction of his market value.

But Buck is confident he and Terry will sign up and said: "I am hopeful both will sign revised contracts and be here in the long term."

There were reports earlier this season that Mourinho's relationship with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich had become strained - and that he was unhappy with the club's lack of spending in the January transfer window.

But Buck denied there were problems between the manager and the board.

"To put the record straight - the manager, the board and the owner will never agree on all things at all times," stated Buck.

"There have been many discussions over the last few years and at the end of them we have always come out with a unified course of action.

"I think he has more than the support he needs."

Asked if he believed Mourinho would be in charge at Stamford Bridge beyond the current campaign, Buck replied: "I do and I hope so too."

Buck was also upbeat over Chelsea's latest financial results.

On Monday the club announced losses of £80.2m for the year up to June 2006 - which represents an improvement of around £60m on last year's results.

Buck remains confident the club will eventually be a self-sustaining business, even if they miss their break-even target of 2010.

"We're still hopeful of being able to achieve that," added Buck.

"The owner is aware of our business plan and we're confident of his support.

"He understands the vagaries of business. He is very supportive of what we are doing and is pleased with our progress."

FC Porto v Chelsea

Champions League first knock-out round, first leg

Date: Wednesday 21 February

Kick off: 1945 GMT

Venue: Estadio do Dragao

Coverage on BBC Radio Five Live and the BBC Sport website

Chelsea include midfielder Michael Ballack after he recovered from a thigh suffered earlier this month.

Chelsea are still without Ashley Cole (knee), Joe Cole (foot) and Khalid Boulahrouz (shoulder) but have no other fresh injuries to contend with.

Porto welcome back winger Ricardo Quaresma after suspension.

Coach Jesualdo Ferreira is set to revert to a 4-3-3 formation with Argentine strikers Lucho Gonzalez and Lisandro Lopez iin the line-up.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Hilario, Cudicini, Ferreira, Geremi, Diarra, Carvalho, Terry, Bridge, Morais, Obi, Lampard, Makelele, Ballack, Essien, Shevchenko, Drogba, Robben, Kalou, Wright-Phillips.

SCOUTING REPORT ON THE OPPOSITION

Who are they? Champions of Portugal and cup winners for good measure, this is the 10th time in 12 seasons Porto have been in the competition, and the third time in succession.

Recent form: They are still top of the Liga but have only just started firing on all cylinders after the winter break. Going into Christmas they were unbeaten in 13, but in the four matches since they have 50:50 win:loss ratio. After single-goal defeats to Leiria and Amadora they bounced back with a bang and sunk Naval 4-0 at the weekend.

European record: They won the title by beating Monaco in 2004 under the self-styled 'Special One', Jose Mourinho. He refused to celebrate, moved on to Chelsea and Porto's fortunes have since dwindled as the squad broke up.

How did they get here? By winning the bwin Liga.

Ones to watch: Much has changed since Jose Mourinho left Porto, but he will need no second introduction to striker Helder Postiga whom he helped to develop while he was in charge at the Dragao. If the name rings a bell it is because he had a poor spell at Spurs, but now back in his homeland he has twice helped dump England out of major competitions, is banging in the goals and is the club's leading scorer this term. He has been ably supported by Lucho Gonzalez, Lisandro Lopez and the quicksilver Ricardo Quaresma.

Did you know? That quartet have scored 68% of Porto's goals this season, Postiga weighing in with 10, Gonzalez nine, Lopez eight and Quaresma seven. And if Chelsea are to prioritise who to keep quiet they should keep tabs on Argentine duo Gonzalez and Lopez. When they have scored this term, Porto have won.

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

FC Porto and Chelsea have met each other twice in European history. Both matches were played in the group phase of the 2004-05 Champions League. On 29 September, Chelsea won 3-1 at Stamford Bridge with goals from Smertin, Drogba and Terry for the home side and Benni McCarthy for Porto. In the reverse match on 7 December, Porto won 2-1. Duff gave the English side the lead, but Diego and Benni McCarthy secured victory for the Portuguese.

Porto have a very good record in home matches against clubs from England; unbeaten in all nine meetings (four wins, five draws). Chelsea have never played a club from Portugal in a European match, apart from Porto.

European history

FC Porto won the Champions League in the 2003-04 season, defeating AS Monaco 3-0 in the final. They have also won the Champions Cup (1987), the Uefa Cup (2003), the European Super Cup (1987) and the Intercontinental Cup (1987, 2004) twice. This is their 12th Champions League season, a record jointly held with Manchester United.

Chelsea's biggest success in European competition is winning the Cup Winners' Cup twice (1971 and 1998). They also won the European Super Cup in 1998. This is their fifth CL participation. They have now reached at least the last 16 in each of their four CL campaigns, and were semi-finalists in 2003-04 and 2004-05.

Current European form

Porto are unbeaten in their last five home matches in the Champions League. Their last home defeat came on 28 September 2005 when succumbing 2-3 to Artmedia Bratislava.

Overall, FC Porto have not lost in their last four CL matches. Their last defeat dates back to 26 September 2006 when Arsenal beat them 2-0.

Player and disciplinary info

Joe Cole (Chelsea) will suffer a ban if booked. John Terry (Chelsea) returns after suspension.

Lisandro Lopez and Luis Gonzalez are Porto's top scorers in this competition with four goals. Gonzalez, Bruno Alves, Helton and Pepe are all yet to miss a minute this season. Andriy Shevchenko is the most experienced Chelsea player with 84 CL appearances. He's also the most prolific goalscorer in Chelsea's squad with 44 career CL goals. Michael Essien is the only player to have been on the field for every minute of the Londoners' CL campaign this season.

Other miscellaneous facts

This is the 150th match in Europe's elite club competition, the Champions Cup/Champions League combined, for the Oporto-based club. Their next defeat will be the club's 50th in the history of the Champions Cup/Champions League.

Porto lead the Portuguese League with 43 points from 18 matches, holding a four-point advantage over Benfica. Chelsea are going strong in all four competitions. The Carling Cup finalists and FA Cup quarter-finalists trail Manchester United by six points at the top of the Premiership.

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports

Well things are certainly looking up! haha whats a mere £80 million to a man that is worth in the region of between 8 - 14 Billion pounds.

There is 6 BILLION Pounds difference between 8 & 14. :o

Surely he must know more acuratley than that what he's worth.

ie......I know that I had 8 baht in my pocket today, not 14 otherwise I could have had some pork with my stick rice today :D

Seems my maths is better than his or his advisors...imagine being one of them?

"Vell Vot am I vorth today zen comarades" Vell ve vink vou vere verth 14 Billion yesterday, vut today it may be 8.....BANG BANG ...new advisors :D

There is 6 BILLION Pounds difference between 8 & 14. :D

Surely he must know more acuratley than that what he's worth.

ie......I know that I had 8 baht in my pocket today, not 14 otherwise I could have had some pork with my stick rice today :D

Seems my maths is better than his or his advisors...imagine being one of them?

"Vell Vot am I vorth today zen comarades" Vell ve vink vou vere verth 14 Billion yesterday, vut today it may be 8.....BANG BANG ...new advisors :D

I'm sure he and his advisors know exactly how much he is worth, its just so many different reports in the press, you never know which to believe thats why I said between. :o

FC Porto 1-1 Chelsea

Chelsea recovered from the loss of an early goal and an injury to John Terry to seal a valuable draw in Porto thanks to Andriy Shevchenko's fine strike.

Terry had to go off after injuring his ankle just seven minutes into the Champions League tie, and things got worse when Raul Meireles volleyed in.

Shevchenko levelled six minutes later, though, firing low into the corner, while Didier Drogba hit a post late on.

Porto's Ricardo Quaresma also struck a post, but neither side found a winner.

The last 16 first-leg clash got off to the worst possible start for Chelsea when influential skipper Terry went over on his right ankle, the same ankle he injured in training on Tuesday, and could not continue.

And, to make matters worse, as the defender was being stretchered off behind the goal, Meireles latched on to Claude Makelele's poor header to lash into the corner on the volley, via a deflection off Frank Lampard.

It had taken Jose Mourinho four-and-a-half minutes to replace his skipper and Terry's absence did not help the Blues' defence.

However, the goal prompted a change from Mourinho with Arjen Robben - and not Mikel Jon Obi as was planned seconds earlier - replacing Terry, and it paid immediate dividends.

On 16 minutes, the Dutchman surged at the Porto defence and slipped in Shevchenko, who fired low into the far corner with aplomb.

Chelsea's recovery could have been even better had Didier Drogba not headed over unmarked from Frank Lampard's long free-kick.

But, in truth, it was Porto that edged an eventful opening half, with Petr Cech brilliantly denying Lisandro Lopez and Ricardo Quaresma twice going close - the second time striking the woodwork with a delightful effort with the outside of his boot.

Such was the winger's growing influence that Mourinho brought off Robben at half-time to be replaced by Mikel, who was tasked with man-marking the 23-year-old.

Strangely, Porto also decided to opt for safety first, with defender Marek Cech replacing goalscorer Meireles and, as a result, the second half failed to live up to the quality of the first.

Still, though, Ricardo Carvalho had to be at his brightest to clear Bruno Moraes's dangerous cross on 68 minutes, while Adriano looked odds-on to score five minutes from time only to be denied by the linesman's flag.

The Blues almost snatched victory themselves with 11 minutes remaining when Drogba, ineffectual up to that point, fired past keeper Helton only for his effort to cannon off the post from the angle.

However, Chelsea comfortably saw out the game in the end with bookings for Cech, Michael Essien, Michael Ballack and Makelele marring an otherwise satisfactory night's work.

FC Porto: Helton, Bosingwa, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Fucile (Bruno Moraes 64), Gonzalez, Paulo Assuncao, Raul Meireles (Cech 55), Lopez, Postiga (Adriano 77), Quaresma.

Subs Not Used: Vitor Baia, Ricardo Costa, Alan, Joao Paulo.

Booked: Pepe.

Goals: Raul Meireles 12.

Chelsea: Cech, Diarra, Terry (Robben 14), Carvalho, Bridge, Essien, Makelele, Ballack, Lampard, Shevchenko (Kalou 88), Drogba, Robben (Mikel 47).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Geremi, Ferreira, Wright-Phillips.

Booked: Makelele, Essien, Cech, Ballack.

Goals: Shevchenko 16.

Att: 49,000

Ref: Massimo Busacca (Switzerland).

Injured Terry will miss cup final

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says John Terry will miss Sunday's Carling Cup final against Arsenal after his captain limped out of the draw at Porto.

The defender was stretchered off after just seven minutes of the Champions League tie in Portugal, and Mourinho said: "All we know now is it is bad.

"He has injured his ankle ligaments and was not happy when he came off."

The injury looked to have aggravated the problem he sustained in training on Tuesday ahead of the last 16 match.

And it leaves Chelsea with just one recognised centre-half for the Millennium Stadium clash in Ricardo Carvalho.

Mourinho said: "We are not in an easy situation. I do not know when John will be back, but I am cool about it.

"It is unbelievable because of the injuries we keep getting. We don't have Khalid Boulahrouz and we don't have John Terry. We have one central defender - Ricardo Carvalho."

Michael Essien deputised for Terry in defence during the skipper's recent absence, and slotted in again when he left the field against Porto, so is the most likely candidate to replace him.

Drogba ponders Blues stay

After transforming his public image and becoming England's most feared marksman over the past eight months, Didier Drogba has revealed he is keen to end his career at Chelsea.

The Ivory Coast international was forced to consider his future at Stamford Bridge last season after being hounded by accusations of cheating and diving, but having opted to stay in England has become a prime contender for the individual accolades come the end of the campaign.

Drogba has struck 26 goals for The Blues to shed his tag as an expensive battering ram, and lays the credit for his transformation squarely at the feet of his manager Jose Mourinho.

Whilst doubts have surrounded the Portuguese tactician's own position in recent months, Drogba admits he could well foresee spending the final years of his career at Stamford Bridge.

"At 28, I am definitely thinking of ending my career at Chelsea - if that's what the fans want to hear. But I will play the game until I can no longer push myself," said Drogba.

"At one time, I did think about leaving the club because of many reasons.

"But I think I've come to stay in England and I hope that will end all the confusion of the past.

"As a professional, I've always put my own needs and goals above anything else. But I decided to stay at Chelsea because of the encouragement I've received from our manager.

"I am not playing well just because I wanted to sign a new contract. I am playing well because I feel good and I am happy to train with my friends.

"I want to say thank you to Jose for believing in me since the beginning and now we will be together for a long time. This is the best form of my career.

"I am happy because, when I came here, it wasn't easy for me to say I would be signing a new contract with Chelsea because everybody knows the first year was difficult. The second one was okay, but I knew I could do better."

Drogba has also admitted his surprise at the strong criticism that came his way when, against Manchester City last season, he handled the ball in an attempt to score - an incident that further blackened his name in the English game.

"I can understand if they are unhappy when I don't play well," Drogba added.

"Wherever I play, I always give everything for my team, and I always have a lot of respect for my shirt and my club.

"I handled the ball [against City] but this is part of the game. I try to score and, if the referee sees the handball, there is a restart."

Lampard admits Terry worry

Frank Lampard admits Chelsea captain John Terry fears he has suffered a bad injury.

Terry was forced off during the early stages off The Blues' 1-1 draw with Porto in the first leg of their last 16 UEFA Champions League tie on Wednesday.

The centre-half was taken off with ankle ligament damage and has already been ruled out of Sunday's Carling Cup final against Arsenal.

Early reports have suggested that Terry is also facing a battle to be fit in time for England's Euro 2008 qualifiers with Israel and Andorra at the end of March.

His Chelsea team-mate Lampard spoke to his skipper about the injury and feels Terry would not have come off for just a minor knock.

"It's an ankle injury," Lampard told Sky Sports News.

"I asked him at half-time and he wasn't sure how bad it was, it felt bad at the time.

"I don't think John comes off unless it's pretty painful."

Andrei Shevchenko's goal earned Chelsea the draw in Portugal and Lampard feels the result sets the players up for the cup showpiece with Arsenal.

He added: "We're confident anyway, we're playing well as a team and it's a good result for us.

"It's a massive game, Arsenal are a big team, but we want to get our first trophy."

Shevchenko 'to set final alight'

Chelsea legend Kerry Dixon believes Andriy Shevchenko's fine display in the Champions League against Porto proves the striker is back to his best.

Shevchenko's equaliser was his fifth goal in seven games and Dixon says the timing is perfect ahead of Sunday's Carling Cup final against Arsenal.

"We haven't seen the best of him but he played his best game so far and scored a great goal," Dixon told BBC Sport.

"He's a great, great player and I've no doubt he will be a big success."

Dixon - who scored 193 goals during his nine-year career at Stamford Bridge - laughs off talk that the Ukraine striker has been a failure following his £30.8m summer move from AC Milan.

"No, no, no," Dixon scoffs. "I wouldn't say that at all.

"Andriy Shevchenko is a world class player and things just haven't been going for him since he arrived at the club. But you can't write off a player like that.

"He has still worked hard for the team and has scored a few goals without being prolific - if he'd scored just five more goals people would be saying he'd had a good season goals wise."

And former England striker Dixon believes 30-year-old Shevchenko will not be the last big name player to find the going tough in England.

Dixon said: "A lot of foreign players have struggled to adapt to the English Premiership - you have only got to look at the likes of Didier Drogba and Thierry Henry who found it tough in the Premiership at first and have gone on to establish themselves.

"It's a different country, different tactics, different team-mates, different surroundings, and a completely different culture. He had to learn a new language - and it all takes time.

"You can't question his quality - he was world class before he arrived at Chelsea and nothing has changed."

Blues boss Jose Mourinho seemed to be far less understanding.

The Ukraine superstar has been left out at various times this season with Mourinho dropping none-too subtle hints that Shevchenko needed to do more to keep his place.

But the Premiership defeat against Liverpool - where Chelsea were completely outplayed - seems to have been the turning point for Shevchenko and he has responded to his coach's criticism with a series of impressive performances.

And Dixon, who combines working for Chelsea on match days with media work, also denied concerns that Shevchenko's arrival has caused major disruption.

Jose Mourinho's favoured 4-3-3 system - a system which has delivered two consecutive Premiership titles - has often been ditched in favour of 4-4-2 to accomodate Shevchenko but Dixon says that means nothing.

"I don't think the formation matters," he said. "Chelsea can play 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 and they both work. They have top players all over the pitch and can easily play in different styles - that's not a problem."

Terry fit to lead Blues in final

Chelsea have confirmed that inspirational skipper John Terry will make a shock return from injury to play in the Carling Cup final on Sunday, live on Sky Sports 1.

The England star had been expected to miss the London derby with rivals Arsenal after sustaining an ankle injury during The Blues' 1-1 draw with Porto in midweek.

However, Terry has made stunning progress after rupturing his ankle ligaments and will now marshal Jose Mourinho's side as they aim to secure the first domestic silverware of the season.

"On Thursday he (Terry) started walking and he was treated at the training ground," club doctor Bryan English told the club's official website.

"On Friday I was of the impression that this injury would still take five more days to recover and so informed Jose that John would not be available for selection for the Carling Cup Final.

"Today (Saturday) John felt a big improvement in his ankle and requested that the medical department performed a fitness test. On passing this test he was put into a full training session and was able to train fully.

"This rate of recovery has surprised the medical department. I have apologised to Jose for providing him with misleading information that led to his statements in relation to John Terry's injury yesterday."

Chelsea will also be able to field Arjen Robben at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium as the Dutch winger has made a full recovery from the hamstring problem he picked up in the UEFA Champions League on Wednesday.

Archived