Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Jose wants new Lamps deal

Jose Mourinho has urged the Chelsea paymasters to ensure Frank Lampard is handed a new deal at Stamford Bridge.

The Portuguese's own future is in the spotlight once again, as a report on Sunday claims Blues owner Roman Abramovich refused to confirm to fans that Mourinho would be in charge of team affairs next term, but he has chosen to focus on his team.

Lampard will look to prove his quality in Sunday's Carling Cup final against Arsenal and Mourinho feels the England midfielder is imperative to Chelsea's futures and should be handed a new deal.

"I keep saying the same thing, Lampard is unique," Mourinho told the News of the World. "He's good defensively, good in attack, scores a lot of goals and works unbelievably hard.

"His contract is something he has to sort out with the club, not me. I'm not involved in negotiations.

"A contract is between him, his agent and the board. The one thing I will say is he is crucial.

"Chelsea should fight with everything they have to keep such an important player."

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carling Cup final - Chelsea vs Arsenal

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho is expecting to have left-back Ashley Cole and winger Arjen Robben available for Sunday's Carling Cup final.

John Terry has surprisingly recovered from an ankle injury and could start the game after earlier being ruled out.

Arsenal full-backs Justin Hoyte (hamstring) and Gael Clichy (foot) will have fitness tests.

Meanwhile, the youngsters who have led Gunners to the final are likely to be leading the challenge in Cardiff.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Hilario, Cudicini, Ferreira, A Cole, Geremi, Diarra, Carvalho, Bridge, Morais, Mikel, Lampard, Makelele, Ballack, Essien, Shevchenko, Drogba, Robben, Kalou, Wright-Phillips.

Arsenal (from): Almunia, Poom, Hoyte, Senderos, Toure, Djourou, Clichy, Traore, Walcott, Diaby, Flamini, Fabregas, Denilson, Aliadiere, Adebayor, Baptista, Hleb, Rosicky, Randall, Connolly.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

CHELSEA and Arsenal meet for the 47th League Cup Final, the fourth in its current guise as the Carling Cup, and seventh and last to be staged at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium. This is also the fifth time that two teams from the top four of the highest League have contested the final, and the first such occurrence for 20 years. It is also the first ever occasion a London derby has graced this great showpiece.

The Blues are battling to lift the League Cup for the fourth time from their fifth appearance in the final, and the second in three seasons. They're chasing a 13th major piece of silverware in the club's history, and fourth under Jose Mourinho. The 44 year old Portuguese strategist is hoping to add to his eight major honours as a manager, having already won the Champions League, the Uefa Cup, four League titles, a domestic Cup with FC Porto and this Cup with Chelsea. In addition Chelsea have won the Community Shield on his watch.

If this final lives up to the one in 2005 against Liverpool, it will be quite a spectacle. John Arne Riise had put Liverpool ahead in the first minute before Steven Gerrard's ill-fated header into his own net 11 minutes from the end of normal time. In the second period of extra time Didier Drogba and Mateja Kezman scored in quick succession and although Antonio Nunez headed Liverpool back into contention, they could not force penalties. It was Mourinho's first trophy in English football, but he was not on the touchline to see it having been sent from the dug-out for allegedly taunting Liverpool fans.

This is the 165th competitive meeting of these clubs, with Arsenal leading the head-to-head standings by 67 wins to 47, with 50 draws. Chelsea are unbeaten in eight against the Gunners, comprised of with three wins and two draws in the Premiership, a win and a draw in the Champions League and a 2-1 victory in the FA Community Shield, when the pair last met at the Millennium Stadium on 7 August 2005.

ARSENAL travel to Cardiff in search of their third League Cup and 28th major honour in their history. They first won this competition, known then as the Littlewoods Cup, in 1987, beating Liverpool 2-1 in the final at Wembley with a brace from Charlie Nicholas, after Ian Rush opened the scoring. It was the first time in 145 matches over five and a half years that Liverpool had failed to win a match in which Rush had scored. It was also the most recent final between two top four clubs. Arsenal won the League Cup a second time in 1993, when it was the Coca Cola Cup, beating Sheffield Wednesday 2-1. It was ecstasy and agony for Gunners midfielder Steve Morrow, who hit the winner and then broke his arm in the celebrations at full-time. The Gunners have also been runners-up three times.

Since 57 year old Arsene Wenger took over, the Gunners have won three Premiership titles and four FA Cups, including the League and Cup double in 2001-02. This will be the seventh time Wenger has plotted tactics against Mourinho, and he's yet to get the better of him (three draws, three defeats). The midweek defeat to PSV in the Champions League was Wenger's 600th match in charge of Arsenal. The Frenchmen's 500th was the 1-0 Premiership defeat to Chelsea at the Bridge on 21 August 2005.

This will be Arsenal's 10th visit to the Millennium Stadium - a venue in which they've won six times and lost on three occasions. They've won three FA Cups there, been runners-up once there, won an FA Cup semi-final and two Charity/Community Shields.

Arsenal have not beaten Chelsea since a 1-2 victory in the Premiership at Stamford Bridge on 21 February 2004. They've met just once this season so far. The League clash at the Bridge on 10 December 2006 was a drawn.

Makelele won't leave Blues

Claude Makelele has revealed that he intends to see out his career at Chelsea.

The 34-year-old is widely regarded as the finest holding midfielder on the planet and has honed his skills during spells at Nantes, Marseille, Celta Vigo and Real Madrid.

He made the move to Stamford Bridge in 2003 and has played a key part in the club's success over the last couple of seasons.

Makelele is content with his lot at Chelsea and is not looking to move on from Stamford Bridge.

"When I finish playing, I finish at Chelsea," Makelele told The Independent.

Makelele has been integral to Chelsea's success over the last two seasons, but he has heaped praise on manager Jose Mourinho for instilling a winning mentality into the squad.

"Jose changed a lot of things at Chelsea," said Makelele. "He put every player in the right frame of mind to win a trophy. He gave a lot of responsibility to players.

"Everybody at Chelsea knows now that we are here to win trophies, win every single game. He puts pressure on us, a lot of players need good pressure to win every game."

Such is the midfielder's quality that his position has been labelled 'the Makelele role' and he admits that it is a tremendous honour to be held in such regard.

"It's the ultimate honour to have it named after me, I suppose it shows that I have achieved everything I have worked for," he noted. "I really learnt how to play that role at Real Madrid where, if we were losing 1-0, we would say 'Right, lock up shop'.

"The four at the back and the one in front of them - me - would concentrate only on defence and let the others go and do what they had to up front. They would take the risks, I would take care of the opposition's attacks.

"In every team you need to know what your role is and one of the keys to my role is to keep the balance of the team right. So when Didier [Drogba] goes here, I do this. When Frank [Lampard] goes there, I go there. Same with Michael [ballack]. When one person moves out of position, then someone else comes in and covers for them."

Chelsea 2-1 Arsenal

Didier Drogba grabbed both goals as Chelsea came from behind to win a Carling Cup final that ended in ugly scenes at the Millennium Stadium.

Theo Walcott gave Arsenal the lead after ghosting past Ricardo Carvalho.

But Chelsea equalised when Drogba was given the benefit of the linesman's flag to slot home and with six minutes to go he headed in a powerful winner.

A brawl erupted between the sides late on that led to dismissals for Mikel Jon Obi, Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor.

It was a disappointing climax to an intriguing final and cruel luck on Arsenal's young side, who dominated for large spells in the last League Cup final in Cardiff.

Arsenal's outfield players had an average age of less than 21 but they showed few nerves in producing some wonderful football before eventually running out of steam.

And they fell victim to the clinical finishing of Drogba, who scored his 27th and 28th goals of the season to again deny Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger a League Cup medal.

The Blues had Petr Cech to thank in the 11th minute for a stunning save after Julio Baptista had drilled a shot through the legs of John Terry, who surprisingly overcame an ankle injury to play but ended the day in hospital.

Chelsea failed to clear the resulting corner and Walcott exchanged passes with Abou Diaby and glided past Carvalho before keeping his cool to slot the ball past Cech.

The 17-year-old could not have chosen a better time to score his first goal for the Gunners.

Chelsea equalised in clinical but controversial fashion in the 20th minute, with their first real attack on goal.

The Arsenal back line pushed up when Michael Ballack played a ball over the top for Drogba, who ran on to slip the ball under Manuel Almunia.

It was a split decision given in favour of the attacking player but Wenger spent much of the opening half displaying his anger at a linesman's failure to flag.

Arsenal continued to hit Chelsea from all angles and could have restored their lead just before half-time - but for a Carvalho intervention to deny Jeremie Aliadiere.

And the Gunners continued to look the more likely scorers after the break, with Diaby denied by Cech and Fabregas shooting just the wrong side of the post.

The Blues lost skipper Terry midway through the half when he took a boot in the face from Diaby as he tried to finish off an Arjen Robben corner.

Terry looked to be knocked unconscious and a mask was applied to his face to help with his breathing before he was carried off the field and taken to hospital.

The blow seemed to fire up his team-mates and they finished strongly and Arsenal's young legs began to tire.

Drogba had a shot well saved by Almunia and Frank Lampard produced a dipping long-range shot that smacked against the bar.

In the 84th minute Robben's cross picked out Drogba and he headed past a stranded Almunia.

Shevchenko could have made the seven minutes of injury time more bearable but his drilled shot thundered back off the bar.

The game ended disappointingly when Obi clashed with Toure and several players from each team, as well as both managers, got involved in an ugly scuffle.

Referee Howard Webb dished out three red cards as well as yellows to Fabregas and Lampard.

Over 11 minutes of added-on time was played before the final whistle was blown to hand the first major trophy of the season to Jose Mourinho's side, who are still in the hunt for three other pieces of silverware.

Chelsea: Cech, Diarra, Terry (Mikel 63), Carvalho, Bridge, Makelele (Robben 46), Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Shevchenko (Kalou 90), Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Ashley Cole.

Sent Off: Mikel (90).

Booked: Essien, Carvalho, Diarra, Lampard.

Goals: Drogba 20, 84.

Arsenal: Almunia, Hoyte, Toure, Senderos, Traore (Eboue 66), Walcott, Fabregas, Denilson, Diaby (Hleb 68), Aliadiere (Adebayor 80), Julio Baptista.

Subs Not Used: Poom, Djourou.

Sent Off: Toure (90), Adebayor (90).

Booked: Denilson, Eboue, Fabregas.

Goals: Walcott 12.

Att: 70,073.

Ref: H Webb (S Yorkshire).

Terry recovers after head injury

England captain John Terry was checked over but then discharged from hospital on Sunday after receiving a sickening blow to the head.

Terry was accidentally kicked in the face by Arsenal's Abou Diaby during the Carling Cup final which the Blues won 2-1 at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium.

He lost consciousness and was carried from the field by stretcher, then taken to the University Hospital of Wales.

But by 1800 GMT he was back at the stadium and able to celebrate the win.

"John risked himself and the Arsenal player was trying to protect his goal," said Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho. "I have no criticism about that."

When the incident happened thoughts returned to the two serious head injuries suffered by goalkeepers Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini in one match earlier this season, away to Reading.

"Sometimes in football, dramatic things happen," added Mourinho.

"This season we have already had the situations with Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini and the negative thoughts come directly to your mind.

"The first point is 'Is he safe? Is the man fine?'

"John's wife, his little babies are here, so the most important thing is that the man is safe. Once we know he is okay, then we can think about the football."

Cech is still playing with a protective cap - a legacy of the injury he suffered at Reading - and the goalkeeper admitted Terry's injury brought it all back.

"I think it's one of the worst moments I have experienced on the pitch because I can't remember my injury," Cech said.

"But you saw the reaction of the players. For the first three or four minutes after the injury, I had other emotions. I hope he will be all right."

The England captain had only just recovered from damaged ankle ligaments, which he suffered in the Champions League tie at Porto, to play in the final.

He was carried off seven minutes into that game but recovered quicker than medical staff expected.

Yet soon after the start of the second half against Arsenal Terry suffered the horrible injury which left him unconscious and with blood on his face.

Fans of both teams at the Millennium Stadium, who had been hushed as Terry was put into a neck brace, applauded the England skipper from the field.

"I was with the fourth official, who was in direct communication with (referee) Howard Webb, so I knew everything," said Mourinho.

"The Arsenal medical department was already there because they had been treating an injury close to the situation, so by the time our people got there, everything was under control."

England manager Steve McClaren was at the stadium and would have been as relieved as Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho to see Terry up and about afterwards.

MORE RENT BOYS IN TROUBLE?

Tuesday 27th February 2007

Essien and Drogba are tipped to be suspended.

The Indie:

Chelsea face losing two key players to suspension, jeopardising their title challenge, in the wake of the Carling Cup final brawl. Detailed analysis of the incident at the Millennium Stadium on Sunday suggests both Didier Drogba, the country's leading goalscorer, and Michael Essien, their versatile midfielder, struck opponents as Arsenal and Chelsea players grappled.

Neither incident was seen by the referee Howard Webb, but both should be spotted by the Football Association's football regulation unit as it studies tapes of the fracas. Broadcast material indicates that Essien cuffed Denilson on the face, and Drogba slapped the back of Cesc Fabregas' head. The FA also has access to film that was not broadcast on the day. If the FA is prepared to follow the letter of the law, and risk the wrath of Chelsea and their lawyers, Drogba and Essien should be suspended for three games, the penalty for "violent conduct".

The unit's first task is to consider appeals against the dismissals of Emmanuel Adebayor and John Obi Mikel, who were sent off along with Kolo Touré as the final exploded in injury-time. Arsenal yesterday appealed against Adebayor's red card on the grounds of mistaken identity. But while video evidence confirms it was Emmanuel Eboué, his team-mate, who struck Wayne Bridge, it does not fully exonerate Adebayor. Adebayor is seen aggressively wading into the fracas, though it is not certain, on the evidence available to The Independent, that he struck anyone.

Adebayor said: "I did not do anything. I did not hit anybody. I just came in to break it up. If people see fighting it is not good for the image of football."

He was supported by Bridge, who said: "The referee sent the wrong man off. I can understand his [Adebayor's] frustration at getting sent off."

Even if his appeal is upheld, Adebayor could receive a ban for refusing to leave the field immediately when dismissed. At present he faces a three-match ban.

Chelsea's appeal, also made yesterday, on behalf of Mikel is in the belief his punishment was excessive. If the appeal fails, Mikel would receive a four-match ban as it was his second dismissal for violent conduct this season. The FA will rule on the appeals today, and determine possible charges for anyone else.

Eboué is sure to be charged. Both clubs can expect to be charged with failing to control their players.

The managers, Arsène Wenger and Jose Mourinho, could also face censure for coming on to the pitch. They were criticised yesterday by Keith Hackett, the general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Board, which administers referees.

redrus

MORE RENT BOYS IN TROUBLE?

Tuesday 27th February 2007

Essien and Drogba are tipped to be suspended.

The Indie:

Chelsea face losing two key players to suspension, jeopardising their title challenge, in the wake of the Carling Cup final brawl. Detailed analysis of the incident at the Millennium Stadium on Sunday suggests both Didier Drogba, the country's leading goalscorer, and Michael Essien, their versatile midfielder, struck opponents as Arsenal and Chelsea players grappled.

Neither incident was seen by the referee Howard Webb, but both should be spotted by the Football Association's football regulation unit as it studies tapes of the fracas. Broadcast material indicates that Essien cuffed Denilson on the face, and Drogba slapped the back of Cesc Fabregas' head. The FA also has access to film that was not broadcast on the day. If the FA is prepared to follow the letter of the law, and risk the wrath of Chelsea and their lawyers, Drogba and Essien should be suspended for three games, the penalty for "violent conduct".

The unit's first task is to consider appeals against the dismissals of Emmanuel Adebayor and John Obi Mikel, who were sent off along with Kolo Touré as the final exploded in injury-time. Arsenal yesterday appealed against Adebayor's red card on the grounds of mistaken identity. But while video evidence confirms it was Emmanuel Eboué, his team-mate, who struck Wayne Bridge, it does not fully exonerate Adebayor. Adebayor is seen aggressively wading into the fracas, though it is not certain, on the evidence available to The Independent, that he struck anyone.

Adebayor said: "I did not do anything. I did not hit anybody. I just came in to break it up. If people see fighting it is not good for the image of football."

He was supported by Bridge, who said: "The referee sent the wrong man off. I can understand his [Adebayor's] frustration at getting sent off."

Even if his appeal is upheld, Adebayor could receive a ban for refusing to leave the field immediately when dismissed. At present he faces a three-match ban.

Chelsea's appeal, also made yesterday, on behalf of Mikel is in the belief his punishment was excessive. If the appeal fails, Mikel would receive a four-match ban as it was his second dismissal for violent conduct this season. The FA will rule on the appeals today, and determine possible charges for anyone else.

Eboué is sure to be charged. Both clubs can expect to be charged with failing to control their players.

The managers, Arsène Wenger and Jose Mourinho, could also face censure for coming on to the pitch. They were criticised yesterday by Keith Hackett, the general manager of the Professional Game Match Officials Board, which administers referees.

redrus

Your making that up aint ya Red? I can't see that happening, I've searched all the media websites and haven't heard a peep! we would be seriously in trouble if that were the case!! No doubt Lampards good work by helping Adebayor out we might get a reprieve!! well thats my wishful thinking anyway!

Drogba wins African player award

Chelsea and Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba has been named the 2006 Caf African Footballer of the Year.

It is the first time Drogba has won the award and, in edging out Samuel Eto'o, he denied Barcelona's Cameroon striker a record fourth-successive award.

Another Chelsea player, Ghana's Michael Essien, finished third.

Drogba, 28, captained his country to the 2006 African Nations Cup final and played at the World Cup finals as well as helping Chelsea win the Premiership.

"It is a great honour to be recognised," Drogba said. "I feel an indescribable joy and it's also a reward for all the sacrifices I have made in the past."

His success comes four days after he scored twice for Chelsea to help them beat Arsenal in the Carling Cup final.

Drogba polled 79 votes in the poll of Africa's 53 national team coaches, ahead of Eto'o with 74 and Essien's 36.

Eto'o had pipped Drogba to the 2005 award by two votes in the closest race in the award's 36-year history, with Essien again third.

But the tables were turned this year and Drogba becomes only the third English-based footballer to win the award after Nwankwo Kanu, then of Arsenal, in 1999 and Senegal's El Hadji Diouf, who was with Liverpool when he took the title in 2002.

Arsenal defenders Emmanuel Eboue and Kolo Toure and Tottenham midfielder Didier Zokora, both Ivory Coast internationals, were named in the 2006 Team of the Year with Chelsea rivals Drogba and Essien the other Premiership stars to feature.

Meanwhile, Marseille defender Taye Taiwo was named Young Player of the Year while Ghana won the Team of the Year award.

Egyptian side Al Ahli were Club of the Year after defending their African Champions League title and their coach Manue Jose won the Coach of the Year category.

African club competition Player of the Year was midfielder Mohamed Aboutrika, also of Al Ahli while Nigeria's Cynthia Uwak was Women's Footballer of the Year.

Portsmouth v Chelsea

Fratton Park

Saturday, 3 March

Kick-off: 1715 GMT

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on MOTD

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp is set to hand midfielder Richard Hughes a rare start, with Pedro Mendes definitely out with an ankle injury.

Lauren (muscle tear), Gary O'Neil and Sean Davis are all struggling and Glen Johnson is unable to feature.

Chelsea captain John Terry is set to miss the trip to Fratton Park in order to rest after his head injury.

Midfielder Joe Cole (foot) and defender Khalid Boulahrouz (shoulder) remain out for Premiership champions Chelsea.

Portsmouth (from): James, Primus, Campbell, Traore, Pamarot, Hughes, O'Neil, Krancjar, Taylor, LuaLua, Kanu, Ashdown, Stefanovic, O'Brien, Davis, Mvuemba, Benjani, Douala, Cole, Todorov.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Hilario, Cudicini, Hedman, Ferreira, Diarra, Geremi, Bridge, A Cole, Carvalho, Essien, Lampard, Ballack, Makelele, Robben, Shevchenko, Morais, Drogba, Kalou, Wright-Phillips.

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp, who will celebrate his 60th birthday, said:

"It would be a fantastic birthday present. We have got a real tough run of home games coming up with the top four and Newcastle.

"Our fans should enjoy these games and we're in a great position on 41 points.

"Who would have thought at the beginning of the season we would be 21 points ahead of West Ham?"

PORTSMOUTH and Chelsea meet in the Saturday early evening fixture, by which time Pompey will know if a return to the top six is possible and the defending champions will have discovered if the deficit behind pacesetters Manchester United has been increased to 12 points.

The south coast side were a top three club in December, but failure to win seven of the last eight has seen them slipping out of the places for European qualification. However it's a mark of Harry Redknapp's ability as a manager when you consider Portsmouth have 41 points on the board, as opposed to only 18 by this same stage last season. Three points against the Blues would provide Redknapp with a very welcome, if possibly unexpected 60th birthday present, a day after the actual occasion.

Pompey are yet to register a Premiership point against Chelsea, but did score their first goal in this League against them through Benjamin Mwaruwari, in the reverse fixture in October. It's 20 League matches and 50 years since Pompey last tasted victory over the Blues - a 3-0 top flight triumph at Fratton Park on Boxing Day 1957.

CHELSEA go to Fratton Park as newly crowned Carling Cup winners, FA Cup quarter-finalists, and on level terms with FC Porto ahead of Tuesday's home leg for a place in the last eight of the Champions League. Indeed, Mourinho's men have only lost five of 44 League and Cup games this season. It's a record unmatched by any other club.

The west Londoners have won as many Premiership matches on the road this season, as Pompey have notched at home - eight - and are bidding for a fourth successive victory (home and away). But such has been the standard Manchester United have set, Chelsea have not so much been playing catch-up as keeping pace with the Red Devils.

The Blues have won all seven Premiership fixtures against Pompey and the last nine in all competitions against them. Each of the three Premier League fixtures at Fratton Park have been won by 0-2 margins. Frank Lampard clinched victory with a penalty on his record 160th consecutive Premiership appearance in this corresponding fixture last season, and Andriy Shevchenko ended his personal goal misery by firing his first goal in front of the home fans at Stamford Bridge in the reverse fixture four and a half months ago.

REFEREE

Mark Halsey (Lancashire)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

PORTSMOUTH

8th 41 points

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 6th

Lowest could fall: 8th

1. Won one of seven in all competitions.

2. Lost 3-0 at Blackburn last time out, but have not suffered back-to-back defeats in 21 Premiership outings since succombing to Bolton (h) and Spurs (a) on 25 September and 1 October respectively.

3. The most vulnerable club in the first five minutes of Premiership games, when four goals have been conceded.

4. Second bottom in the Premiership's "Last Six Current Form" table, with five points from the possible 18. Only West Ham are below them with two points.

5. Failed to score in four of the last five League games. The 2-1 home win over Manchester City on 10 February being the exception.

6. Won just one of the last four home top flight matches since Christmas.

7. Short trips to Reading and Fulham follow this, before Manchester United visit Fratton Park.

CHELSEA

2nd 60 points

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 2nd

Lowest could fall: 2nd

1. Won seven and drawn one of an undefeated last eight in all competitions.

2. The 2-0 loss at Liverpool on 20 January, is the only defeat in 23 League and Cup games since mid-November.

3. Claimed nine points out of nine from a 3-0 home win over Blackburn, a 0-1 triumph at Charlton, and 3-0 eclipse of Middlesbrough at Stamford Bridge.

4. Opened the scoring in 21 Premiership matches, and failed to score in two. No club can beat either of those achievements, although Manchester United can match them.

5. Conceded the opening goal in only five top flight games - fewer than any other club.

6. Lost three Premiership games away from home this season, but only one in the last seven (against Liverpool).

7. The three Premiership fixtures after this are against clubs in the bottom six, away to Manchester City, home to Sheffield United and away to Watford.

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

PORTSMOUTH

Nwankwo KANU is Portsmouth's leading scorer with 12 goals - 10 of which were in the Premiership.

KANU is a hat trick shy of 50 career League goals in England.

If he keeps goal as usual, David JAMES will be making his 122nd consecutive Premiership appearance (Manchester City and Portsmouth).

JAMES is the only remaining player to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Portsmouth's Premiership matches this season.

The 36 year old England International keeper has kept 140 clean sheets in the Premiership. He needs just two more to pass David Seaman's record in this League. (James played 84 minutes of the 90 in one of the clean sheets contributing to the 140, when in goal for Aston Villa in the 4-0 victory over Middlesbrough on Valentines Day 2000).

Lomano Tresor LUALUA needs a brace to total 50 goals in English club football (Colchester, Newcastle and Portsmouth).

If involved, LUA LUA will be making his 200th career League appearance (Colchester, Newcastle and Portsmouth).

If he plays, Richard HUGHES will be making his 250th club career appearance (Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Grimsby).

If on the field from the outset, Linvoy PRIMUS will be making his 200th start in a Pompey shirt.

CHELSEA

Didier DROGBA is the highest scoring Premiership player this season with 28 goals, 17 of which are League goals. The Ivory Coast International leads Manchester United's Cristiano RONALDO by one at the top of the table for the Barclays Golden Boot award.

Only Michael ESSIEN has figured in every minute of every one of Chelsea's Premiership matches this season.

If he lines up for the opening whistle as usual, Frank LAMPARD will be making his 350th career League start (West Ham, Swansea and Chelsea).

Suspended: Mikel Jon OBI

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Portsmouth 0-2 Chelsea

26 November 2005 - Ref: Phil Dowd

Chelsea scorers: Crespo 27, Lampard 67 pen

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Chelsea 2-1 Portsmouth

21 October 2006 - Ref: Mark Clattenburg

Chelsea scorers: Shevchenko 55, Ballack 57

Portsmouth scorer: Mwaruwari 69

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

Home and away

League: Portsmouth 19 wins, Chelsea 27, Draws 21

Prem: Portsmouth 0 wins, Chelsea 7, Draws 0

at Portsmouth only

League: Portsmouth 13 wins, Chelsea 11, Draws 9

Prem: Portsmouth 0 wins, Chelsea 3, Draws 0

Portsmouth 0-2 Chelsea

Didier Drogba struck his 29th goal of the season as Chelsea won a hard-fought game at Portsmouth to keep the Premiership title race alive.

Drogba struck the opener just after the half-hour mark, volleying Ashley Cole's left-wing cross into the ground and past Portsmouth goalkeeper David James.

Pompey enjoyed plenty of possession, but Andy Cole and Kanu both saw headers magnificently saved by Petr Cech.

Salomon Kalou wrapped it up, sliding in after Ashley Cole's header forward.

Manchester United's win at Liverpool earlier in the day made victory imperative for Chelsea, as they sought to keep United's lead at the top to nine points.

The Pompey fans were revelling in Chelsea's deficit, as chorus after chorus of 'Where's your title gone?' rang around Fratton Park as the game kicked off.

Pompey looked lively too, no-one more so than the unplayable Kanu, who was winning everything in the air and providing a classy lesson in hold-up play to boot.

Kanu and Lomana LuaLua were giving Chelsea a real headache, but the visitors were using their pace on the break as the game swung from end to end.

Andriy Shevchenko was brilliantly played in down the left by Arjen Robben, but the Ukraine international - without a goal in the Premiership since 11 November - blazed hopelessly over.

Since Shevchenko's last league goal Drogba has scored nine and after he blazed woefully wide from his strike partner's clever pass, the newly-crowned African Footballer of the Year gave the visitors the lead.

Peeling away at the back post, Drogba met Ashley Cole's cross from the left to volley into the ground and past James.

Seconds after the restart, the champions wasted a fabulous chance to wrap up the points.

Robben played a sumptuous one-two with Drogba but instead of passing across the six-yard box to the unmarked Shevchenko, he shot against the post and Pompey survived.

It was shaping up to be a classic Chelsea performance away from Stamford Bridge, the sort of slender, battling win that hallmarked their two recent championship successes.

Claude Makelele and Michael Essien were magnificently keeping the Pompey attack at bay, with Essien at centre-back once more admirably stepping into the absent John Terry's shoes.

When Portsmouth did manage to breach the Blues' defence, they found Cech in world-class form between the posts.

He wonderfully stuck out his left hand to save a goalbound Andy Cole header, before flying low down to his right to parry away Kanu's nodded effort.

Cech's heroics were not in vain, as Chelsea raced up the other end and Ashley Cole headed into the box for substitute Kalou to slip past the advancing James.

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp:

"We played well and I was disappointed to be 1-0 at half-time.

"In the second half we were a lot stronger and I thought there was an equaliser there, but the keeper has pulled off a couple of fantastic saves.

"We got caught pushing forward for their second, but overall I was very happy with the players."

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho:

"Our job is to keep winning matches and get back to six points (behind Manchester United) and have the pressure on them.

"We have to win all our matches and wait for them to drop some points.

"It was a big victory today and no injuries. That is almost unique this season."

Portsmouth: James, Pamarot, Primus, Campbell, Traore (Kranjcar 68), O'Neil, Davis, Hughes, Taylor, Kanu, LuaLua (Cole 73).

Subs Not Used: Ashdown, O'Brien, Mvuemba.

Chelsea: Cech, Diarra, Carvalho, Essien, Ashley Cole, Makelele, Lampard, Ballack, Robben (Wright-Phillips 76), Shevchenko (Kalou 76), Drogba (Bridge 84).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ferreira.

Booked: Ballack, Makelele.

Goals: Drogba 33, Kalou 82.

Att: 20,219.

Ref: M Halsey (Lancashire).

Thought you guys might be interested in this article from The Independent, it's a few days old so sorry if a duplicate post..

Victory in Europe will provide Mourinho with perfect parting shot at Abramovich

'For Mourinho, his odd situation retains the most exquisite possibilities'

Jose Mourinho showed five fingers to Roman Abramovich, one for every trophy he has won at Chelsea. The surprise, given all his circumstances, was he didn't raise up just two.

One guess at why not is that maybe he is waiting for the Champions League final that he is still favoured by the bookmakers to win. At such a triumphant moment, Mourinho could perhaps bring to the gesture a theatricality that would be more appropriate from a double winner of the greatest prize in club football than someone who had merely scored a predictable victory over Arsène Wenger's silkily precocious but still raw selection in a Carling Cup final.

With or without another European Cup, however, Mourinho's work at Stamford Bridge - the work that is, not the accoutrements from ego hel_l - would justify some expression of contempt for the oligarch who on recent evidence appears to have brought far more money than common sense to his football playpen. Indeed, the latest appraisal insists that the one thing Abramovich has got right thus far is the appointment of Mourinho.

Now that he seems so likely to part with his Portuguese messiah - an impression only heightened by the weekend fly-on-the-wall account of Abramovich's deadpan reaction to the issue during an otherwise warm collision with a pack of Chelsea fans in the team hotel after last week's game in Oporto - serious question marks have to be placed against the club's future operation.

This is because while the motivation for parting company with Mourinho is plain enough, the consequences of such action are potentially filled with hazards, and not least because of the reasons for his dismissal. While sanitising his club's image, Abramovich may be opening it up to a more serious infection, one that brings a collapse in all the certainties that have marked Mourinho's reign.

None of this, however, threatens the health of Mourinho's career, merely the location of his next empire. His inflammatory style, his genius for making enemies - and piling one resentment upon another as the rest of the football world looks sourly at a rival with unlimited resources - is obviously the cause of Abramovich's disaffection.

The Russian didn't invest in his own unpopularity. He wanted someone not only to win but to put the best possible face on unbridled wealth, and one of the richest men in the world is probably right, by all that he has known before, to believe that one out of two is just not good enough. The trouble is that football is not like the oil or any other business ... and that the half of the requirement Mourinho has delivered is the one that all Abramovich's resources may never again guarantee.

This is something the voices in Abramovich's ear are plainly not broaching as the rift between the owner and the coach appears to grow a little wider each day.

From a purely football perspective, it is illiteracy. Mourinho, despite an apparent freeze on his spending power during the January transfer window, has emerged from the injury crisis which attacked the core of his team in central defence not only as a survivor but the potential winner of an unprecedented four trophies in one season. This, when you think about it for a moment, is astonishing work, especially when set against the follies that have occurred outside the sphere of his command.

It is football's worst-kept secret that Andrei Shevchenko and Michael Ballack were imposed upon Mourinho, and with initially devastating consequences on the fierce team unity which had been so integral to Chelsea's sweep to two straight titles. Shevchenko may now be finding a little of his old leg power, and appetite in front of goal, but it doesn't alter the fact that the damage his arrival did to Chelsea's balance, with Didier Drogba working so effectively across the front of attack, could have shattered a campaign in the hands of someone less driven, and sound on football's realities, than Mourinho.

Abramovich's absurd suggestion that Shevchenko received tutelage from a coach specially imported was brusquely rejected, as no doubt, were some of the thoughts emanating from the office of the director of football, Frank Arnesen, a mythic job, surely, when a Mourinho, no less than a Sir Alex Ferguson or Wenger, is in charge of team affairs. It means all that has flowed from this impasse has been quite inevitable, given the nature of both the owner and his top employee.

Though Mourinho has recently been suggesting an extreme reluctance to leave Stamford Bridge, the reality is surely that, unlike Abramovich, he simply cannot lose.

In another football age, and before he became the idolised coach of Ireland, Jack Charlton insisted that a football man would be mad to stay in charge of a club for more than three years. He said there would always be one end, however much glory was accumulated along the way.

Sooner or later you lose your effect and, however the trick is performed, you are sent on your way. Ferguson and Wenger are notable exceptions, but men of the quality of Jock Stein and Bill Shankly and Brian Clough were not. It is also true Ferguson has heard boos at Old Trafford and, the season before last, Wenger had to listen to calls for his head after losing a Champions League game to Bayern Munich.

For Mourinho, though, his odd and partly self-induced situation, retains the most exquisite possibilities. There is, after all, an extremely good chance that he will leave Stamford Bridge not only undiminished but as a contender for football man of his age. Real Madrid, Milan, and judging by the current body language of both Frank Rijkaard and his team, probably Barcelona, will be among his suitors.

Mourinho is 44 - young enough to believe he can go on winning for ever, and old enough to pick the right place at the right time. He is probably already counting down the months - on not many more than two fingers.

Thanks for that Muckypups, it was a very interesting read but its one that I've read over and over. From watching Chelsea tv where they have cameras behind the scenes and shows the bonding and team spirit between the players and the coaching staff, it is hard to believe the players will let Mourinho just pack up and walk away in a few months time.

Abramovich is obviously the big boss and what he says goes but surely he can pick up on the resentment which would be heading his way if he forced Jose out. I reckon he will get one more season as head coach and if the rift doesn't heal Mourinho will be free to walk. Most of all the stories is merely paper talk but they do say there is no fire without smoke!

Sheva: I am happy at Chelsea

Andrei Shevchenko has ruled out a return to Milan saying he is happy at Chelsea.

The Ukrainian says he has finally adjusted to English football and remains optimistic about his team's chances in the UEFA Champions League.

"At the beginning it was difficult. I had to change the way I played, adapt to English football. I believe it's normal to have a period of adjustment," the 30-year-old told Radio Italia.

"I arrived at Chelsea following a difficult season for me with injuries and a World Cup behind me, but I have now overcome that difficult time."

The striker also said he had patched up his differences with coach Jose Mourinho and was enjoying his football again.

"With Mourinho, things are going well," he added.

Shevchenko is still a fan of Milan and remains close friends with club president Silvio Berlusconi.

There have been reports linking the former Dynamo Kiev star with a return to Milan, but he has no intention of going back.

"I speak with president Berlusconi often," added Shevchenko.

"For me, it was extremely difficult to tell the president that I wanted to leave.

"I'll never forget Milan. For me, it was a very important experience and one which has allowed me to become the player I am.

"But I made my choice, I arrived in England and now I want to continue on this path."

Thanks for that Muckypups, it was a very interesting read but its one that I've read over and over. From watching Chelsea tv where they have cameras behind the scenes and shows the bonding and team spirit between the players and the coaching staff, it is hard to believe the players will let Mourinho just pack up and walk away in a few months time.

Abramovich is obviously the big boss and what he says goes but surely he can pick up on the resentment which would be heading his way if he forced Jose out. I reckon he will get one more season as head coach and if the rift doesn't heal Mourinho will be free to walk. Most of all the stories is merely paper talk but they do say there is no fire without smoke!

I agree Seapok, although ego's seem to be playing a big part in their rift I can't believe Abramovich would be crazy enough to let a manager of Mourinho's obvious quality walk away.. he didn't amass his fortune by making highly emotional decisions affect his better judgement I imagine. Anyway, it wouldn't be the first time a manager and owner/chairman didn't see eye to eye but worked together for the good of the club.

Chances are Mourinho will do at least one more season.. and who knows, if you win the Champions League they'll probably be all smiles again...

Jose not feeling the pressure

Jose Mourinho has insisted he does not feel under pressure to deliver more trophies to Chelsea.

The Blues have already won the Carling Cup this season and are still in the UEFA Champions League, FA Cup and the race for the Premiership title.

There has been speculation about Mourinho's future amid rumours of a rift between him and billionaire owner Roman Abramovich, but the Portuguese manager claims he will walk away with £1million in his pocket and land another job inside a couple of months if he is sacked.

"I am not under any pressure to win something else because the only pressure I am under is from the pressure I put on myself," he explained.

"I don't accept pressure from other people. I don't get depressed. If the club decides to sack me because of bad results, that's part of the game.

"If that happens, I will be a millionaire and I will get another club a couple of months later."

Chelsea have struggled with injuries this season and Mourinho feels his players deserve recognition for staying on track in all competitions.

"I have to give credit to Michael Essien for the way he's been playing in a position that is not his normal one," praised Mourinho.

"I have to give credit to Ricardo Carvalho for playing with a partner who is not a central defender, and I have to give credit to Frank Lampard because he is playing every game with the added responsibility of wearing the captain's armband.

"I have to give more credit to Lassana Diarra because he is a young boy playing at this level at this moment, and I have to give more credit to Petr Cech because he came back after his head injury and looks better than he was before.

"I have to credit the attackers for playing every game with no rotation like last season."

Chelsea are among the favourites to win the Champions League but Mourinho feels his side have a better chance in the Premiership, despite the nine-point lead Manchester United hold.

He remarked: "At the moment in the Champions League, 16 teams can win it and only two can win the Premiership. From that aspect, it looks more difficult to win the Champions League because the 16 teams have the same chances.

"At this moment in the Premiership, Manchester United are in front and because of that they have more chances to win it than us.

"But Chelsea are alive in the three competitions we are involved with and we want more than the league cup.

Chelsea are level at 1-1 with Porto ahead of Tuesday's Champions League second leg tie and Mourinho expects his side to progress to the quarter-finals.

But he does not want the game against his former club to be hyped up out of all proportion.

"I respect our opponents and I expect they will be strong but I have good players and I expect they will perform well," he said.

"I don't think it is an issue any more. One day I will play against Chelsea. I cannot make my career thinking about how I was once in this club or that club.

"I have to play the game without such emotions. This is just another game. I just want to be in the quarter-final."

Chelsea v FC Porto (agg 1-1)

Champions League first knock-out round, second leg

Date: Tuesday 6 March

Kick off: 1945 GMT

Venue: Stamford Bridge

First-leg score: 1-1

Coverage on BBC Radio Five Live and the BBC Sport website

Chelsea captain John Terry is out of the second leg of the Champions League clash against Porto on Tuesday.

The 26-year-old is still recovering from the head injury he suffered in the Carling Cup final.

Defender Khalid Boulahrouz returns after being out for the last three weeks because of a dislocated shoulder.

Porto defender Jose Bosingwa will be replaced by Slovakian Marek Cech after picking up a thigh injury in the 1-0 win over Braga.

SCOUTING REPORT ON THE OPPOSITION

Who are they? Champions of Portugal and cup winners for good measure, this is the 10th time in 12 seasons Porto have been in the competition and the third time in succession.

Recent form: They tuned up for the return with a 1-0 weekend win against fourth-placed Sporting Braga. Adriano scored the goal and since the first leg he has bagged two, Porto have notched six and they have also kept two clean sheets to cement their place at the top of the Superliga.

European record: They won the title by beating Monaco in 2004 under the self-styled 'Special One', Jose Mourinho. He refused to celebrate and moved on to Chelsea and Porto's fortunes have since dwindled as the squad broke up.

How did they get here? Do you remember that bit about them doing the double in Portugal last season?

Ones to watch: Helder Postiga, Lucho Gonzalez, Lisandro Lopez and Ricardo Quaresma are the main goal threats having scored a touch over 63% of Porto's goals this season. But in the last four games, during which they have scored 11 goals, others have been chipping in to share the burden, which is necessary since Postiga has not scored this year. Adriano scored three of the 11 while Raul Meireles has hit the target twice, including the goal against Chelsea in the first leg.

Did you know? Porto have seen off English clubs in Europe before, including Wolves in the 1970s and Manchester United on two occasions, most recently when Mourinho was in charge in 2004 and they went on to win the Champions League. But they have never won a match on English soil.

They say: "The Braga game was not the best we could have had for saving energy because of the quality of the opposition. But the intensity of the game was positive, not only from a physical but from a mental point of view, because in London we will face a game with the same sort of high pace."

Jesualdo Ferreira, FC Porto coach

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

Chelsea and FC Porto have met each other three times in European history. Two weeks ago, the two teams drew 1-1 in Portugal after goals from Raul Meireles and Andriy Shevchenko. During the 2004-05 CL group phase, they met twice, each club winning the home match.

Besides FC Porto, Chelsea have never played a Portuguese club in a European match. Porto have been eliminated by an English club from the European knock-out stages on four occasions. These were against Newcastle United (1969-70 Fairs Cup), Tottenham Hotspur (1991-92 Cup Winners' Cup), Manchester United (1996-97 Champions League) and Liverpool (2000-01 Uefa Cup).

European history

Chelsea, the 1971 and 1998 Cup Winners' Cup winners, are engaged in their fifth CL participation. Their best result is reaching the semi-finals, which they managed on two occasions (2003-04, and 2004-05).

FC Porto, champions of Europe in 1987 and 2004, are playing their 12th Champions League season, a record jointly held with Manchester United.

Current European form

Chelsea have won their last three Champions League home matches, keeping a clean-sheet on each occasion.

FC Porto have won their last two CL away matches. They have have not lost in five home and away since 26 September 2006 when they were beaten 2-0, away to Arsenal.

Player and disciplinary info

Michael Essien, Joe Cole (Chelsea) and Pepe (FC Porto) will all be suspended if booked.

Chelsea defender Ashley Cole could make his 50th Champions League appearance, if he plays. Team mate Didier Drogba is joint top scorer of this season's Champions League with five goals.

Other miscellaneous facts

This is Porto's 100th Champions League match. The next defeat will be their 50th in the history of the Champions Cup/Champions League.

Chelsea's Jose Mourinho is looking to win the Champions League for the second time in his managerial career. He was head coach of FC Porto when they lifted the silverware three years ago.

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports

Chelsea 2-1 FC Porto (agg 3-2)

Michael Ballack's late strike put Chelsea into the last eight of the Champions League after they came from behind to beat Porto.

The visitors took the lead when Ricardo Quaresma beat the offside trap to slide the ball under keeper Petr Cech.

The Blues equalised when Porto keeper Heldon let a fairly tame Arjen Robben shot slip through his hands.

And with 10 minutes left Ballack was on hand to volley in Andriy Shevchenko's carefully-weighted headed pass.

For a while it seemed that Jose Mourinho's multi-million pound outfit would bow out at the first knock-out stage.

Frankly, the Blues were poor in the first half, with wayward passing and a resolute Porto rearguard limiting the home side to a couple of chances.

Those chances were wasted by Ballack, who air-kicked Ashley Cole's cross, and Frank Lampard, who failed to connect with Shevchenko's through-ball.

Porto took the lead after just 15 minutes when a slick move ended with Quaresma poking the ball under the body of the outstretched Petr Cech after picking up Lucho Gonzalez's pass.

Thereafter, at least for the rest of the half, the visitors looked in control and it seemed only a mistake or a moment of brilliance would affect their position.

As it happened, it was a mistake. And what a howler it was at the start of the second half.

Robben, who picked up a yellow card for diving early in the half, received ball on the right and cut inside before firing in a relatively tame shot that keeper Heldon got a hand to, but not a strong enough one as the ball looped into the net.

Chelsea pressed for a winner and sent in a number of teasing crosses testing the Porto shot-stopper, who looked a little jittery after his error.

However, it was not an error that handed Chelsea their much-valued win but a well-worked move that saw Didier Drogba nod Ashley Cole's centre on to the head of Shevchenko who in turn found Ballack.

The German steadied himself, swivelled and fired a low volley from six yards past Heldon and into the quarter finals.

Chelsea will discover on Friday who they are paired with in the last eight.

Chelsea: Cech, Diarra (Ferreira 65), Essien, Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Makelele (Mikel 46), Robben, Ballack, Lampard, Shevchenko (Kalou 84), Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Hilario, Boulahrouz, Bridge, Wright-Phillips.

Booked: Robben, Diarra.

Goals: Robben 48, Ballack 79.

FC Porto: Helton, Fucile, Pepe, Bruno Alves, Cech (Ibson 55), Gonzalez, Ricardo Costa, Paulo Assuncao, Raul Meireles (Adriano 55), Lopez (Bruno Moraes 82), Quaresma.

Subs Not Used: Vitor Baia, Alan, Postiga, Joao Paulo.

Booked: Quaresma, Fucile, Adriano.

Goals: Quaresma 15.

Agg (3-2)

Att: 39,041

Ref: Roberto Rosetti (Italy).

Thanks for that mrbojangles, for 45 minutes I thought we weren't going to make it! not the most convincing of wins I must say but we pulled it together in the second half thank <deleted>!

I reckon we will be drawn against Liverpool or Man U in the next round, thats if Man U make it of course! :o

:o Mr B...How could you?.. anyway.,I second that, congrats to both Chelsea and Liverpool, I'm a Brit and love to see our teams do well in Europe.. Wish our International side was as reliable.. :D

What's this? could people be softening up to the Russian Revolution! credit where credit is due, I wonder if Redrus or Chonabot will be so congratulatory after their own up and coming european fixtures! :D

:D Mr B...How could you?.. anyway.,I second that, congrats to both Chelsea and Liverpool, I'm a Brit and love to see our teams do well in Europe.. Wish our International side was as reliable.. :D

Sorry muckypups, i'm bitter through and through and although i want English clubs to do well, i can't bring myself to want United to do well. Besides, i would fail Redrus, if i started to say anything nice about Utd :o

Sheva seeks Euro glory

Andrei Shevchenko sees no reason why Chelsea cannot be crowned champions of Europe this season.

The Blues are through to the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League after coming from behind to beat Porto on Tuesday.

Although Chelsea were not at their free-flowing best at Stamford Bridge, the former Milan star knows the importance of winning while not at your best.

Shevchenko believes Jose Mourinho's side have the potential to go all the way to the final and win, emulating his 2003 success with Milan in the process.

"It is important we keep winning when we are not playing well," stated Shevchenko. "The first half was difficult.

"Porto scored a goal and closed the space and made it difficult for strikers. In the second half we played better and had more opportunities.

"It's definitely possible for us to win the Champions League."

Well done Chelsea. It will be an interesting draw for the Quarter's

Thanks for that mate, :o

I can't wait for the draw tomorrow, whats the bet we get either Liverpool or Man Utd, I fancy a nice trip to Madrid myself but we shall see.

Just goes to show what I know!, Madrid aren't even in the next round for the draw Friday. So in that case my preference would be Munich or Roma :o

Koeman planning Chelsea talks

PSV Eindhoven boss Ronald Koeman paid tribute to Alex after his super-show dumped Arsenal out of Europe and hinted the defender could be heading to the Premiership in the summer.

The rugged Brazilian defender netted at both ends at Emirates Stadium on Wednesday, with his late header at the right end proving enough to send PSV through to the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League.

Alex's future has been a hot topic of debate for some time, as it has always been rumoured that he was a Chelsea player on a long-term loan at PSV.

Koeman has confirmed this and hinted the defender could be on the move, provided he can secure a work permit.

"He is a player of PSV until the end of this season and after that we will be talking to Chelsea about the situation of the player," Koeman said on Sky Sports News.

Koeman added: "He's Chelsea's player and PSV rent him from Chelsea because he's still not allowed to play in England. We would like to keep him.

"I think Chelsea will be happy Alex scored against Arsenal."

Seapok I'm back geez. The draw today should be interesting. Gut feeling mate we will draw the scum.....sorry Redrus............ Seriously it would be great if all 3 English Clubs avoid each other.

Spurs on Sunday. History has to be on our side lads. CFC to win and march on.

"Carefree"

What's this? could people be softening up to the Russian Revolution! credit where credit is due, I wonder if Redrus or Chonabot will be so congratulatory after their own up and coming european fixtures! :D

No problem here , I love to see English/British teams do well in Europe.

Now the match on Sunday, that's different........ :o

Quarter-final draw

AC Milan v Bayern Munich

PSV Eindhoven v LIVERPOOL

Roma v MANCHESTER UNITED

CHELSEA v Valencia

(First legs to be played on 3/4 April and second legs on 10/11 April)

Semi-final draw

CHELSEA or Valencia v PSV Eindhoven or LIVERPOOL

Roma or MANCHESTER UNITED v AC Milan or Bayern Munich

(First legs to be played on 24/25 April and second legs on 1/2 May)

Seapok I'm back geez. The draw today should be interesting. Gut feeling mate we will draw the scum.....sorry Redrus............ Seriously it would be great if all 3 English Clubs avoid each other.

Spurs on Sunday. History has to be on our side lads. CFC to win and march on.

"Carefree"

Welcome back son, well the draw has been made, all the English teams have avoided each other but we could meet the scousers in the semi's! thats if they beat our reserve team PSV 1st of course!

I'm really looking forward to Sundays game, its a shame its an early KO as I would like to have a skin full before! :o

I suppose it will suit the boys and girls in LOS though.

Archived