Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tottenham v Chelsea

Three Point Lane

True , it yielded us 3 points in our last Chelski match ! Nice attention to details Seapok !

:o

haha well spotted Chon, you know we have a great record at your place and tonight will just go to show how dominating we have been over the years, long may it continue.

Tottenham 1-2 Chelsea

Shevchenko scores his 13th goal of the season

Chelsea set up an FA Cup semi-final meeting with Blackburn Rovers thanks to superb second-half strikes from Andriy Shevchenko and Shaun Wright-Phillips.

After a poor opening period, Shevchenko fired in a left-footed shot, a goal quite breathtaking in its execution.

Just past the hour Wright-Phillips picked up Didier Drogba's chested pass to volley past keeper Paul Robinson.

Dimitar Berbatov won a penalty that Robbie Keane scored, but Chelsea held on comfortably to reach the last four.

Chelsea's victory means Jose Mourinho's side remain in contention to win four trophies.

Spurs are still involved in the Uefa Cup, but must be wondering why they will not be playing Blackburn given they were leading 3-1 in the quarter-final at Stamford Bridge.

Chelsea's defence had been uncharacteristically sloppy in that original tie, but there was no sign of such fragility on Monday.

The presence of John Terry, who had missed the first game, had much to do with that greater defensive solidity, while Mikel Jon Obi played well as a holding player.

Ricardo Carvalho brought down Berbatov to concede the penalty, but even after Keane's successful spot-kick, Spurs struggled to prise open the Chelsea defence.

The frustration for Spurs was that Berbatov as well as Aaron Lennon had such quiet games.

So defensively assured were Chelsea that Petr Cech did not have a save to make until the early stages of the second half, when he denied Pascal Chimbonda and Steed Malbranque in quick succession.

Like Cech, Robinson was similarly inactive in that disappointing first half.

Michael Ballack and Wright-Phillips tried their luck with long-range shots, while Pascal Chimbonda had to be alert in heading clear a Shevchenko cross.

Having not had a save to make, Robinson suddenly found himself beaten by those magnificent shots in the space of six minutes.

Shevchenko has had a difficult time since joining Chelsea, but his superlative goal was a timely reminder of why the club's owner Roman Abramovich was so keen to bankroll the Ukrainian's £30m transfer.

There seemed no danger to Spurs when Shevchenko entered the penalty area from the right wing on 55 minutes.

The Chelsea striker beat Steed Malbranque by cleverly checking his run, in the process switching the ball to his left boot.

He then arced a shot into the top corner with a simply unstoppable shot.

Wright-Phillips was next to enter the Chelsea shooting gallery, sending a left-footed half-volley past Robinson, after Drogba deftly chested the ball into the path of the England winger.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tottenham: Robinson, Chimbonda, Young-Pyo Lee, Dawson, Rocha (Stalteri 84), Lennon, Zokora, Jenas, Malbranque (Defoe 64), Berbatov, Keane.

Subs Not Used: Cerny, Ghaly, Huddlestone.

Booked: Chimbonda.

Goals: Keane 79 pen.

Chelsea: Cech, Diarra (Ferreira 90), Ashley Cole, Carvalho, Terry, Wright-Phillips (Kalou 86), Lampard, Ballack, Mikel, Shevchenko (Robben 81), Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Boulahrouz.

Booked: Diarra, Drogba, Cech.

Goals: Shevchenko 55, Wright-Phillips 61.

Att: 35,519.

Ref: M Atkinson (W Yorkshire).

Mourinho lavishes praise on Mikel

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho pinpointed Nigerian Mikel Jon Obi as the key to his side's FA Cup victory over Spurs.

"The best team won," said Mourinho after Chelsea triumphed in the quarter-final replay 2-1 to set up a last-four meeting with Blackburn.

"We were very solid defensively and had good control of ball possession, with Mikel Jon Obi the key.

"In the last two games Shaun Wright-Phillips in a new role has also been possibly man-of-the match."

Chelsea's FA Cup victory means Mourinho's side remain in contention for four trophies.

"This is a special season already. Yes we were champions over the last two seasons but at the moment this is better than the others," he added.

"Only this team with their character could survive - this team works and fights together."

Tottenham boss Martin Jol identified Spurs' lack of a goal threat as the reason behind his side's FA Cup defeat.

"It's a big disappointment but I can't fault our players because they did everything," he said.

"We lacked a cutting edge but they defended very well.

"I thought we were the better team, we controlled the game, I don't think Paul Robinson had a save to make."

FA to contact Spurs over incident

The Football Association will contact Tottenham after a fan ran on to the pitch at White Hart Lane and aimed a punch at Chelsea's Frank Lampard.

The incident, which the FA described as "totally unacceptable", occurred after Chelsea beat Spurs 2-1 in Monday's FA Cup quarter-final replay.

"I thought I might get one on me," said Lampard. "I just ducked."

Police arrested two people, one for encroaching and the other for encroaching and suspicion of assault.

An FA spokesman said: "These scenes were totally unacceptable and we will be contacting Spurs as a matter of priority.

"We want to establish what safety and security provisions were in place for the game and to confirm what action was taken against the fans who ran on to the pitch.

"We understand that both individuals were arrested and we would expect them to be given football banning orders."

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho was unhappy about the incident, which came as Chelsea celebrated their win on the pitch afterwards.

"Frank said the man went crazy, coming from nowhere," said Mourinho.

"Three, four or five people had to catch him before the security men came."

Tottenham boss Martin Jol added: "I have not seen it. I can understand the fans' frustration but they shouldn't do that."

Chelsea won the game following second-half goals from Andriy Shevchenko and Shaun Wright-Phillips.

we can win 4 at home and draw 4 away now

We'll try and make it 3 away draws and 1 loss :o:D

mate it is your cup final i would not expect anything less :D

Absolutely nev, we've <deleted> all else to play for this season...................................again :D

FA Cup venues decided

Old Trafford and Villa Park will stage this season's FA Cup semi-finals, following confirmation from The Football Association.

After Monday's two quarter-final replays, Manchester United set up a meeting with Watford, while Chelsea will face Blackburn Rovers.

United's last four encounter with Watford will be held at Villa Park on Saturday 14th April, with kick-off at 5.30pm.

The second semi-final between Chelsea and Blackburn will take place at Old Trafford the following day, kick-off at 4pm and will be live on Sky Sports.

A place in the final - to be staged at the new Wembley Stadium - is up for grabs, with Watford and Blackburn hoping to pull off cup upsets.

Meanwhile, a date for a potential Premiership title showdown between United and Chelsea will now have to be found in the calendar.

The title rivals were due to meet at Stamford Bridge on Sunday 15th April, but the two clubs' FA Cup commitments have forced the fixture to be postponed.

With both sides also still involved in the UEFA Champions League, the final week of the season is currently the likely window for the match to be staged.

Chelsea-Man Utd game moved to May

Manchester United's potentially crucial Premiership trip to Chelsea has been re-arranged for Wednesday 9 May.

Chelsea were due to host United on 14 April, but with both sides reaching the FA Cup semi-finals, it was automatically postponed.

It means the match will now be the second-last game of the campaign for both teams.

United currently lead Chelsea by six points with both teams having eight Premiership matches remaining.

If United continue to maintain their current six-point lead by the time they play Chelsea, the title is likely to be secure because of their vastly superior goal difference.

The Old Trafford club have also confirmed the home clash with Sheffield United, which was due to be played on 10 April but was called off because of the Champions League quarter-final with AS Roma, has been put back to Tuesday, 17 April.

Gentlemen, I've just posted this in our forum.. but should you not catch it.. :o

From The Guardian:

'Whisper it on Merseyside or in Milan, or even in those pockets of Lancashire and Hertfordshire where optimism lingers, but the suspicion grows that Manchester United and Chelsea are converging inexorably on the season's grand finale. A trio of possible meetings between the clubs, to be staged within just over two weeks in May, could decide this season's major honours. Sky have already brought us Judgment Day and Super Sunday Summit in recent times, though voiceover men everywhere will be struggling to contain their excitement at the dramatic sobriquets to come.

Three mouthwatering tête-à-têtes remains possible rather than probable at present. Both clubs still have to get through the Champions League quarter-finals, and then potentially beyond Liverpool or Milan in the semis, if they are to reach Athens, while Blackburn and Watford represent awkward hurdles in the last four of the FA Cup. But such has been their steamrollering progress in recent weeks that the likelihood of an unprecedented end to the campaign looms larger with each Cristiano Ronaldo penalty or reminder of Andriy Shevchenko's class. United are aiming to repeat their treble of 1999, while Chelsea have hopes of a staggering quadruple success. The rest can only watch in envy.

The pair's progress into the FA Cup semi-finals on Monday forced the postponement of their scheduled Premiership game at Stamford Bridge on April 15, with the match rearranged for May 9, the penultimate game of the season. The FA Cup final is due to take place at Wembley on May 19, with the Champions League decided four days later in Athens. There was excitement among former United and Chelsea figures yesterday at the thought of such a decisive fortnight.

"It is remarkable it might end with three games between two sides to decide the honours," said Alex Stepney, who enjoyed a brief spell at Chelsea before moving to United, with whom he won the European Cup in 1968. "The managers won't be jumping the gun but, if it does happen, what odds would you have got from the bookmakers at the start of the season? These are two outstanding sides who have dominated in recent times - United for as good as 14 years, and Chelsea as a powerhouse in the last few years. It's open to debate whether it's good for football in this country, but the possibility of two of our clubs getting to the European Cup final suggests British football is strong."

"It's a wonderful prospect," agreed John Hollins, a Chelsea stalwart as a player and a manager of the club in the 80s. "These sides have been superbly consistent, they've had that bit extra to break free of the other challengers, and they've been steered by wonderfully intelligent managers. Whatever their manager has tried, it's come off. Ronaldo has been a revelation . His goals, from whatever angle and with his head as well as his quick feet, have taken the pressure off Wayne Rooney, while Henrik Larsson's signing was a coup by Sir Alex Ferguson.

"Chelsea, dare I say it, have actually cut their squad back from having two players per position but have unearthed utility players of huge talent and value, such as Michael Essien and Lassana Diarra. Those players are invaluable when you're challenging on so many fronts. Both Jose Mourinho and Sir Alex have juggled their selections a bit to keep things fresh but, when they've taken a chance, they've got away with it. That makes it good judgment. At the end of May, though, crunch time could come when they play each other. They can draw in the league, but the others are cut-throat competitions."

The idea has been mooted that these sides could field relatively weakened teams when the FA Cup final returns to Wembley if they have a weightier European Cup to contest just four days later.

"If they both reach the FA Cup final, I'd like to think both clubs would go hel_l for leather in both competitions and not rest any of their big names," said Paul Parker, the former England defender who represented both clubs in the 90s. "Sir Alex wants a second European Cup to go past Sir Matt Busby, while Mourinho's ego needs the glory of winning the Champions League again. But neither can afford to treat an FA Cup final lightly, even if they have a Champions League final a few days later. "The FA Cup is still a big enough deal for both Sir Alex and Mourinho to treat with respect, and there would be nothing worse for either of them if they were to leave the new Wembley as the first team to lose there."

"It all boils down to that need to secure silverware," added Stepney. "People say the FA Cup is the third priority but I don't think any manager would put a team out that they don't think is capable of winning that game. The mystique is back with the Cup final at Wembley. The FA would consider Chelsea versus United to be a dream final. I'm not sure what Uefa would think but, if it all pans out, what a finale to the season this could be."

Thanks for that Muckypups, I'm sure it will be tough but I reckon we will beat Blackburn so it should be a great final with Chelsea vs Watford :D

Rosicky: Chelsea are boring

Arsenal star Tomas Rosicky has labelled Chelsea a boring team.

There is no love lost between the two sides following their Carling Cup brawl and Rosicky has stoked the fires by hitting out at Chelsea's style of play.

Rosicky made the claim after being asked if he was keeping an eye on Chelsea midfielder Michael Ballack ahead of Czech Republic's Euro 2008 qualifier with Germany this weekend.

"I don't know [about Ballack's form], I have not been watching Chelsea. They are boring," Rosicky told Idnes.

"Do you enjoy their football?"

The clash with Germany will also see Rosicky come up against his Arsenal team-mate Jens Lehmann and he knows the goalkeeper will provide a formidable barrier to his side's chances of victory.

"He is a great goalkeeper as well as a person," added Rosicky. "He is sometimes wild on the pitch, but very different in private life.

"I don't know if it is an advantage [knowing his style of play] as on the other hand he knows me.

"He is very tall and he gets everywhere."

Former Borussia Dortmund midfielder Rosicky is looking forward to the challenge of taking on Germany.

"They are very confident," continued Rosicky. "Self-confidence is their main weapon.

"As far as I know, they have got a very experienced midfield. Ballack, Frings, Schneider.

"It could be a very good game. It will be a very big experience for us and the fans.

"I am looking forward to it very much as I enjoy these sort of games."

I'm not being funny Rosicky but you might play good exciting football at times but where does it get you? out of 3 cups in 11 days! I'd rather play boring and be in with a shout at getting the quadruple! :o

Winning teams know when it's time to be practical.. i.e. secure the result at any cost. That's why United and Chelsea are a country mile ahead of their nearest challengers..

Thanks for that Muckypups, I'm sure it will be tough but I reckon we will beat Blackburn so it should be a great final with Chelsea vs Watford

I worry about this semi-final.. anything could happen..

Winning teams know when it's time to be practical.. i.e. secure the result at any cost. That's why United and Chelsea are a country mile ahead of their nearest challengers..
Thanks for that Muckypups, I'm sure it will be tough but I reckon we will beat Blackburn so it should be a great final with Chelsea vs Watford

I worry about this semi-final.. anything could happen..

Good shout Muckypups. We have not been playing that well but have been grinding out results and that is the bottom line. It is not always pretty but as they say points mean prises...........

CFC v MU would be a great final. Jose M would love to win the FA Cup as that would be the final trophy for him to win in the english game. It would also be a pretty good collection of trophies considering the time he has been at the club. The European Cup would be the one but there is still a long way to go.

Cole targets return

England's Joe Cole remains on course to return to action early next month.

The Chelsea midfielder is making rapid progress in his recovery from a broken foot.

He is now back running and placing weight on the injury and has already targeted a return to first-team training in early April.

Cole has already told Jose Mourinho that he hopes to be fit for the UEFA Champions League quarter-final tie with Valencia.

And according to skipper John Terry the former West Ham man could achieve his goal.

The England skipper said: "Joe is a little boy. Having asked the doc every day for the last three months `am I nearly there', with his recovery, he has now started running and what does he immediately do?

"When he walks around the corridors inside at the training ground, he walks with a ball at his feet, doing little tricks all the time.

"Everywhere he goes he's dribbling at the same time. He's looking happy again and he deserves to be."

Seapok I must congratulate you geez. You are doing a great job with the CFC posts. Keep um coming gov.

Cheers mate, I must admit it was a little tiresome at the start as I wasn't getting much feed back from our fellow blue brothers but it has picked up now and its good fun having a bit of banter with our rivals. :o

Blues 'sign Feyenoord starlet'

Chelsea have raided Feyenoord's youth team to sign teenage midfielder Jeffrey Bruma, according to reports in Holland.

Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad reports that The Blues have secured the 15-year-old on a prospective four-year deal.

Bruma has not signed a professional deal at De Kuip as he is yet to turn 16, and Chelsea appear to have taken advantage by convincing the starlet to make the move to England.

Sporting director Frank Arnesen (pictured) has exercised his keen knowledge of the Dutch market, developed during a lengthy spell in PSV Eindhoven's managerial ranks, to clinch the signing of the player who will be lifted from Feyenoord's Under 16 team.

The Dutch side have one of Holland's finest youth academies - with previous graduates including Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Robin van Persie and Celtic's Evander Sno - but Bruma will now be looking to rise through the ranks in West London, not Rotterdam.

Tue, 27th Mar 2007

Summer game in Scotland BookedChelsea will travel to Glasgow in July to play a pre-season friendly against Rangers.

The date of the game is Saturday July 28, kick-off 3pm, a week after the squad returns from a programme of three matches in the USA.

The game will be the first time Chelsea have played the Glasgow giants since 1985 and 1986 when we contested friendlies both home and away.

The first, held in May 1985 at Stamford Bridge to raise funds following the Bradford Fire Disaster a few days earlier, saw Chelsea win 3-2 thanks to goals from Duncan Shearer, Kerry Dixon and an own-goal.

At Ibrox the following February, we were on the other end of a 3-2 scoreline, the Chelsea goals coming from Keith Jones and future Rangers player Nigel Spackman.

We also played at home to Rangers in a testimonial for Ron Harris in November 1971, a 1-0 defeat.

Next July's game comes on the back of a friendly at the Bridge last summer against the other half of Glasgow's 'Old Firm', Celtic.

Ticket details for July's game will follow nearer the fixture.

Watford 0-1 Chelsea

Salomon Kalou scored an injury-time header to ensure Chelsea remain six points behind Manchester United.

Chelsea seemed certain to slip eight points behind the leaders after a frustrating afternoon before Kalou converted Andrei Shevchenko's cross.

Both sides spurned earlier chances, with Michael Ballack missing the ball and Ben Foster denying Didier Drogba.

Petr Cech made excellent saves from Damien Francis and Steve Kabba, who also missed a chance from six yards.

The leaders had extended their lead over Chelsea to nine points earlier in the day with a 4-1 win over Blackburn, while Watford's relegation rivals West Ham and Charlton also won.

Watford now find themselves 11 points adrift of safety - while Chelsea remain in the hunt for the title.

For so long it seemed as though Chelsea's challenge would founder at Vicarage Road after Watford battled manfully - and Kalou's winner was a painful blow for the home team.

Chelsea skipper John Terry's afternoon had got off to a painful start when Darius Henderson accidentally caught him with a stray elbow in the first minute of the match.

The defender spent several minutes receiving treatment but was eventually able to continue.

Terry's difficult opening might have seen him concede a penalty after he appeared to handle Tommy Smith's cross but referee Uriah Rennie turned down Watford's vociferous appeals.

Watford's positive start continued when Kabba forced a save from Cech with a spectacular overhead kick, while Henderson shot wide on the turn and, later, directed a weak header at goal.

Chelsea had a penalty appeal of their own turned down when Lampard - playing with a support on his broken wrist - went down after a clumsy challenge, while Foster made a brilliant save with his legs to deny Drogba.

It was a far from convincing opening 45 minutes by the champions, who struggled to come to terms with the robust style of the home team.

Aidy Boothroyd's team hurried and harried the champions, while Terry found himself dragged into an on-running verbal spat with Henderson.

Chelsea might even have found themselves trailing minutes after the restart but for Kabba's awful miss, the 26-year-old failing to hit the target from six yards after Henderson played the ball to him at the far post.

Frustrations started to show, with Jose Mourinho and Boothroyd exchanging words on the touchline.

And Mourinho had used all his substitutes by the 58th minute - a measure of how difficult Watford made life for his team.

But Chelsea should have scored seconds later when the ball fell invitingly for Ballack six yards from goal only for the German to completely miss it with his attempted shot.

Lampard appeared to be through on goal but was thwarted by a excellent block by Jay DeMerit.

The late drama almost belonged to Watford, Cech making an excellent save at the far post to deny Francis - and shortly afterwards Kalou struck with his decisive header at the other end.

Watford boss Adrian Boothroyd:

"It is hard to take. I'm proud of my team but disappointed.

"We did very well in many aspects. It was scrappy and we wanted it that way to make it difficult for them.

"What pleased me was that last time we played Chelsea we looked like little boys out autograph hunting but we stood up to them this time."

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho:

"I think that if we had gone from six points to eight or nine behind Manchester United, mathematically it would still be possible to win the title but mentally not.

"Every game is crucial. If we win every game then I think we can be champions.

"Maybe the draw was a fair result. We have a strong group and we have to go all the way in every match."

Watford: Foster, Chambers, DeMerit, Shittu, Stewart, Smith, Mahon, Francis, Rinaldi, Henderson (Priskin 69), Kabba (Bouazza 81).

Subs Not Used: Lee, Doyley, Bangura.

Booked: Francis.

Chelsea: Cech, Geremi (Ferreira 46), Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole (Mikel 58), Makelele (Kalou 46), Lampard, Ballack, Wright-Phillips, Drogba, Shevchenko.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Boulahrouz.

Booked: Wright-Phillips, Ferreira, Carvalho.

Goals: Kalou 90.

Att: 19,793

Ref: U Rennie (S Yorkshire).

Robben set to miss rest of season

Chelsea winger Arjen Robben could miss the rest of the season after opting to have surgery on a knee injury.

Robben, 23, returned from international duty with Holland on Thursday and after examinations, a decision was taken on Friday to operate on the knee.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho told Chelsea TV: "For me it's difficult to accept as he played two matches for his country.

"The next day he came here and he is injured. He needs surgery. We lose an important player maybe for the season."

Robben played the full 90 minutes in Holland's 1-0 Euro 2008 qualifying win in Slovenia on Wednesday.

Mourinho said that Joe Cole was returning to full fitness and said the England international's return would ease his selection headache.

But he said he was still frustrated by the injuries at Chelsea this season.

As well as Robben and Cole, Chelsea have also lost captain John Terry and goalkeeper Petr Cech to injury.

"Joe Cole is coming back and maybe next week we have him," said Mourinho.

"But again we can never have our best team with every player available. But if I can lose one and gain one, it is not so bad.

"At this time we just want to have no more injuries because the matches are arriving and all of them are like finals.

"We want to be under pressure and being under pressure is to play every three days.

"We have fought a lot to be in this situation. It is difficult but we cannot complain, we need to be happy."

Cole eyes return against Valencia

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole hopes to make his comeback in Wednesday's Champions League quarter-final against Valencia after four months out injured.

Cole has been sidelined since November with a stress fracture of the foot.

The 25-year-old England international told Chelsea TV: "I feel my body is so close to being absolutely perfect.

"I have been out a long time but hopefully I can hit the ground running. I will do what I can, even if it is only for 10 or 15 minutes."

It was feared Cole would miss the whole season after picking up the injury in Chelsea's 1-1 draw with Manchester United at Old Trafford at the end of November.

But he is keen to help his side in their chase for glory in the Premiership and Champions League.

"It's not nice being injured - you feel like you are letting your manager and the players down," Cole added.

"Everyone's been great though and I've fought every day to get back - and you get your rewards.

"Some said I wouldn't play this season but I want to come back and make an impact - and hopefully that'll be on Wednesday."

Chelsea v Valencia

Champions League quarter-final first leg: Chelsea v Valencia

Date: Wednesday, 4 April

Kick-off: 1945 BST

Venue: Stamford Bridge

Coverage: Updates on Five Live and on the BBC Sport website

Midfielder Joe Cole is included in Chelsea's squad after recovering from a stress fracture in his foot which has kept him out since November.

Left-back Wayne Bridge is also back in the frame after knee surgery, but winger Arjen Robben is set to miss the rest of the season with a knee injury.

Valencia will travel to London without striker Fernando Morientes, who has a dislocated shoulder.

Carlos Marchena and David Navarro are also are serving long-term suspensions.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Geremi, Diarra, Terry, Carvalho, Bridge, A Cole, Ballack, Makelele, Lampard, Essien, Wright-Phillips, Drogba, Kalou, Shevchenko, Mikel, J Cole.

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

Chelsea and Valencia have never met before in any European Cup competition.

Chelsea have played nine European home matches against clubs from Spain and have lost only once, winning seven and drawing one. The loss came on 22 February 2006 when the Blues were defeated 1-2 at Stamford Bridge by Barcelona in the round of the last 16. Overall, Chelsea have won nine of the 21 European encounters they have had with Spanish clubs.

Valencia have played 13 European away matches in England and have won only twice, drawn eight and lost three. Their last away victory on English soil took place on 30 October 2002 when they defeated Liverpool 0-1 at Anfield. Overall, Valencia have played English clubs 27 times in Europe, winning nine and losing only five.

European history

Chelsea's biggest success in European competition is winning the Cup Winners' Cup twice (1971 and 1998). They also won the European Super Cup in 1998. This is Chelsea's fifth CL participation. Their best result is reaching the semi-finals, which they managed on two occasions (2003-04 and 2004-05).

Valencia have won four European Cups: the Cup Winners' Cup once (1980) and the Fairs/Uefa Cup three times (1962, 1963 and 2004). They won the European Super Cup twice, in 1980 and 2004. This is Valencia's fifth Champions League season. They have twice been losing finalists. In 2000, they fell 3-0 to Real Madrid, while they lost on penalties against Bayern Munich in 2001.

Current European form

Chelsea have won their last four Champions League home matches. Overall, the Londoners are unbeaten in their last three encounters in the competition.

Valencia are winless in their last three CL matches, and have not won any of their last three on their Champions League travels.

Player and disciplinary info

Arjen Robben, Michael Essien, Joe Cole (Chelsea) and Miguel Angulo (Valencia) will all be suspended if booked. David Navarro and Carlos Marchena (Valencia) are both suspended for this match following the brawl after the return leg in the last 16 against Internazionale.

Valencia reserve goalkeeper Ludovic Butelle (03 Apr 1983) and striker Fernando Morientes (05 Apr 1976) celebrate their birthday the day before and the day following this match respectively.

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports

I haven't noticed any Chelsea threads here so I thought I would start my own, all Chelsea boys and girls please post anything you want, would be good to hear other genuine true blue supporters opinions and stories.

Lets forget all the one sided slagging off we are getting from the media and other jealous supporters and just stick together.

Come on the BLUES!!!!!!!!!

sawadee cap seapok , so how do you reckon you'll fare against Valencia tonight ??. I've got you down to get beat over the 2 legs . And how can the fans of the double premier league champions be feeling sorry for themselves because they get a bit of stick from the media !!!! , surely you shandy drinking lot are stronger than that !!!!!!!!

I haven't noticed any Chelsea threads here so I thought I would start my own, all Chelsea boys and girls please post anything you want, would be good to hear other genuine true blue supporters opinions and stories.

Lets forget all the one sided slagging off we are getting from the media and other jealous supporters and just stick together.

sawadee cap seapok , so how do you reckon you'll fare against Valencia tonight ??. I've got you down to get beat over the 2 legs . And how can the fans of the double premier league champions be feeling sorry for themselves because they get a bit of stick from the media !!!! , surely you shandy drinking lot are stronger than that !!!!!!!!

Thats cheap coming from a bunch of car thieves you wooley back. See you in the Britania Pub next time your in town thats if you are not robbing anything......Calm Down, Calm Down............. Good banter thats what we need here.

Chelsea 1-1 Valencia

David Silva's blistering drive gave Valencia a crucial away goal but Didier Drogba kept Chelsea's hopes alive in this Champions League quarter-final.

Silva capped an outstanding display with a fierce shot into the top corner to open the scoring on 30 minutes.

Earlier, Salomon Kalou cracked an effort onto the bar after Andrei Shevchenko had been poleaxed by Roberto Ayala yet denied a penalty.

On 53 minutes, Drogba nodded home to leave the second leg finely balanced.

However, Chelsea may feel they could have got more out of the game after coming back from a shaky opening to dominate the second half.

And they may also reflect that they could well have been playing against 10 men had the referee taken action against Ayala for smashing into Shevchenko's face with his shoulder with just nine minutes played.

Whether the challenge was just outside the box or not is debatable - that the referee did not even deem it a foul was bemusing.

Valencia's good luck continued as Kalou's sweetly-struck shot pinged back off the frame of the goal.

But fortune supposedly favours the brave and Valencia - in an attacking 4-4-2 line-up despite missing seven first-team players - soon showed they were just that.

After overcoming initial pressure from Chelsea and coming to terms with the darting runs of Kalou and a more authoritative performance from Michael Ballack, Valencia began to settle.

Silva, dropping deep behind his strike partner David Villa, started to dictate the tempo as well as leave Jon Obi Mikel chasing shadows.

Mikel, preferred to Claude Makelele, got away with loose marking when Silva - completely free in the box - could not quite latch on to Joaquin's dragged shot.

But the Blues midfielder was severely punished when Silva again found space, cut in from the left flank and cracked an audacious effort beyond Petr Cech, who was left groping the air as the ball powered past.

A laboured-looking Chelsea desperately needed to play with more pace and purpose but it took them until after the interval to do so.

The first chance of the half came quickly as Lassana Diarra picked out Kalou with a pin-point centre, but the striker swung at the ball and missed.

However, soon after Drogba showed how to finish clinically when his pace got him to Ashley Cole's hopeful punt forward and he headed the ball over Santiago Canizares.

It was Drogba's 30th goal of the season - the first time a Chelsea player has hit that mark since Kerry Dixon.

Yet, if the Chelsea faithful were expecting Drogba's strike to set up victory, that was not to be the case.

Despite plenty of possession - and Mikel's improvement at shackling Silva - Chelsea could not fashion any clear-cut chances.

Ricardo Carvalho's hesitant prodded shot was typical - and Shevchenko's superb overheard kick which followed it was deflected over.

And even the return of Joe Cole could not inspire Chelsea, but they will need to be more creative and potent in the return leg in Spain, as they know they must score to survive.

Chelsea: Cech, Diarra, Terry, Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Kalou (Wright-Phillips 74), Ballack, Lampard, Mikel (Joe Cole 74), Shevchenko, Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Makelele, Boulahrouz, Bridge, Ferreira.

Booked: Drogba, Diarra.

Goals: Drogba 53.

Valencia: Canizares, Miguel, Ayala, Moretti, Del Horno, Vicente (Angulo 57), Albelda, Albiol, Joaquin (Hugo Viana 86), Silva, Villa (Jorge Lopez 90).

Subs Not Used: Butelle, Curro Torres, Nacho Insa, Pallardo. Booked: Silva, Albelda, Ayala.

Goals: Silva 30.

Att: 38,065

Ref: Frank De Bleeckere (Belgium).

Alrite Scousemouse, you've got some balls ain't ya for a newbie! haha well we got the draw tonight at home, Valencia played well in the 1st half and sat back in the 2nd. I must admit we are in for a real battle next tuesday over there! I reckon we can beat them in their own backyards and keep a clean sheet also.

Your lot are lucky to get such an easy draw with PSV, if or should I say when we get to the semi's we will do you lot in both legs!! :o

Terry & Drog: We can do it

Chelsea captain John Terry is refusing to be downbeat after his side's 1-1 draw with Valencia at Stamford Bridge, despite the fact their Spanish visitors now have an away goal to take into the UEFA Champions League quarter-final second leg.

Chelsea had to come from behind on home soil, through Didier Drogba's second half header, after David Silva had silenced the majority in West London with a stunning effort from distance on the half hour mark.

Terry has hailed his team-mates for the manner in which they rose to the occasion after failing behind, paying special tribute to goalscorer Drogba.

"We scored a great goal and the fighting spirit was just what we needed," Terry told Sky Sports.

"We have shown in the Champions League we can go away and go through.

"We need to be on our game and full of confidence and take the game to them.

"With Didier scoring goals we are sure we can score a few goals. We just need to keep a clean sheet."

Drogba's goal was his 30th of the season and while he becomes the first Chelsea player to do so since Kerry Dixon, the Ivorian claims personal accolades are not important.

He added: "It was difficult. They were playing well but we didn't panic. We knew we were going to have one chance.

"The most important thing is not my goal to score, to come back into the game and we believe we can qualify there."

Mourinho: All to play for

Jose Mourinho believes Chelsea still have an excellent chance of progressing to the UEFA Champions League semi-finals after a 1-1 draw at home to Valencia.

The quarter-final first leg at Stamford Bridge ended all-square after Didier Drogba cancelled out David Silva's stunning first-half strike.

Chelsea must score at least once in Spain next week and Mourinho is confident his side can advance despite only drawing the home leg.

"It is open," Mourinho told Sky Sports.

"Normally a team that plays at home considers a victory a good result and a draw a bad result but with a draw everything is open and we can go to Valencia and reach the semi-finals.

"I believe they believe they are in a better position now because they are at home (in the second leg) but why not win in Valencia or get a draw and go into extra time?

"We need to play well. We know the atmosphere we will get there so we need a good referee too.

"This result still gives us one more week to believe we can progress in the Champions League."

Mourinho believes the first leg took a lot out of both sides, with Chelsea pushing for victory late in the second half.

"It was a tough game for both teams, both teams are really tired I believe," he said.

"Chelsea because we tried to change the result and fought a lot to do it and Valencia because they defend, well organised and with a lot of commitment."

Meanwhile, Mourinho was pleased to see Joe Cole return to action as a 74th minute substitute after four months out with a broken foot.

He added: "It is important he is back, of course he is not ready to play more than he did but at least we have him."

Archived