Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Terry: Title tilt still on

Chelsea captain John Terry insists the Premiership champions still have what it takes to defend their title.

The Blues remain six-points adrift of Manchester United but that gap could be halved with Chelsea tackling Tottenham in the early kick-off on Saturday.

With Chelsea and United also still to play in league, Terry feels everything is still to play for.

"All we can do at this stage of the season is keep winning, winning, winning," Terry said.

"It's such a busy period but if we do keep winning, we're going to be successful.

"Manchester United are doing well, there's no denying that, but anything can happen and they've still got to come to our place."

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chelsea v Tottenham

Stamford Bridge

Saturday, 7 April

Kick-off: 1245 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on MOTD

Midfielder Joe Cole keeps his place in the Chelsea squad after his successful return to first-team action against Valencia in midweek.

Arjen Robben (knee) and Michael Essien (knee) are still out but Chelsea have no new injury worries.

Tottenham defender Ricardo Rocha is set to return after he was ineligible for Thursday's Uefa Cup defeat to Sevilla.

Skipper Ledley King is close to a return but he is unlikely to be risked against the Premiership champions.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Geremi, Carvalho, Terry, Bridge, A Cole, J Cole, Lampard, Ballack, Makelele, Obi, Diarra, Drogba, Wright-Phillips, Boulahrouz, Shevchenko, Kalou.

Tottenham (from): Robinson, Stalteri, Chimbonda, Dawson, Young-Pyo Lee, Rocha, Lennon, Malbranque, Zokora, Jenas, Tainio, Ghaly, Keane, Berbatov, Cerny, Mido, Defoe, Taarabt, Ifil, C Lee.

Chelsea captain John Terry:

"All we can do at this stage of the season is keep winning, winning, winning. It's such a busy period but if we do keep winning, we're going to be successful.

"Manchester United are doing well, there's no denying that, but anything can happen and they've still got to come to our place.

"We beat Watford last Saturday in the end and we've now won 13 and drawn two of our last 15 games."

Tottenham goalkeeper Paul Robinson:

"We can't just sit there and moan about the penalty decision that went against us on Thursday, we've got a big game against Chelsea on Saturday and then Sevilla at the Lane next week.

"Chelsea have a strong squad whoever plays - whether it's Shevchenko, Drogba or Kalou up front - and we are preparing for another tough game.

"We've a good chance of getting back into the Uefa Cup through the league and that's what we're concentrating on."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

CHELSEA and Tottenham meet for the fourth time this season, in what had become the most one-sided fixture in Premier League history. The Blues go into this Easter Saturday lunchtime kick-off, in search of their 50th League victory over Spurs and keen to avenge their first ever Premiership defeat by Tottenham on Guy Fawkes Day last year.

The Premiership's top two, Manchester United and Chelsea are both on the longest current winning sequences in the Premiership of seven matches. The Stamford Bridge club has been keeping pace with the Red Devils and victory here will close the gap on the leaders to three points, for four and a half hours at the very least, until United conclude their tea time fixture at Portsmouth. Chelsea are hoping to extend their unbeaten home record run to 60 matches - which would take them to within three matches of the top flight record.

The Blues are bidding for their second victory over Tottenham in 19 days, after the 1-2 FA Cup quarter-final replay triumph at White Hart Lane.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR will arrive at Stamford Bridge just 38 hours after coming off the field in Spain, following their 2-1 defeat to Sevilla in the first leg of the Uefa Cup quarter-final. Domestically, Martin Jol's side are in great form, bidding for a sixth successive Premiership victory. The match pits the clubs second and third in the top flight's "form" table.

Spurs are aiming to match last season's highest ever Premiership finish of fifth. Their Premiership games have generated 88 goals so far this season (44 for and 44 against) - only Manchester United's have been more productive (95). This is the 10th London Premiership derby for both clubs. Chelsea have the edge with six wins, two draws and one defeat - Spurs have five wins, three draws and one defeat.

Hotspur produced a stunning and historical fightback in the reverse fixture in November against a Chelsea side reduced to 10-men after the sending off of John Terry. The 2-1 win was their first in the League over Chelsea since Gary Lineker famously got the winner in a 2-1 triumph at the Bridge in February 1990. Now Tottenham are vying to 'double' the Blues for the first time since 1970-71.

REFEREE

Rob Styles (Waterlooville, Hampshire)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

CHELSEA

2nd 72 points

Highest achievable after Saturday's matches: 2nd

Lowest could fall: 2nd

(all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premiership fixtures)

1. Won 13 and drawn three of the last 16 in all competitions, since losing 2-0 at Liverpool on 20 January - their only defeat in 31.

2. Won eight more Premiership games than Tottenham (22 to 14).

3. Won the last seven Premiership matches with clean sheets in all seven and in nine of the last 10.

4. Not conceded in 702 minutes (11 hours 42 minutes) of Premiership football, since Jermaine Pennant scored Liverpool's second at Anfield on 20 January.

5. Had 80 points after 31 games in 2004-05 and 78 points to the same stage last season, but only 72 this time around.

6. Won 22 times in the top division so far this season - only Manchester United have gained more victories (25).

7. Opened the scoring in more Premiership matches than any other club (25), and failed to score in two, and only Manchester United can match that.

8. Kept 19 clean sheets in the Premiership (won 18, drawn one), and conceded the opening goal in only five top flight games - better than any other club on both counts.

9. Not lost a home Premiership game under Mourinho (won 43, drawn 10), nor been defeated in the top division at the Bridge since a 1-2 reverse to Arsenal on 21 February 2004 (won 47, drawn 12). If they can maintain that run until the end of this season they will equal Liverpool's top flight record of 63 home League matches without defeat. Combining Mourinho's record with FC Porto, he is unbeaten in 91 home games in the English and Portuguese leagues (won 79, drawn 12).

10. The away leg against Valencia in the quarter-finals of the Champions League follows this, before the FA Cup semi-final against Blackburn next weekend. The rest of the League programme takes in a short trip to West Ham, a long trip to Newcastle, a home fixture against Bolton, yet another London derby at Arsenal, the much-hyped home match against Manchester United and final home fixture against Everton.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Going into the weekend: 6th 48 points

(all statistics are ahead of this weekend's round of Premiership fixtures)

1. Won the last five Premiership matches against Everton (a), Bolton (h), West Ham (a), Watford (h) and Reading (h), with an aggregate of 14-6.

2. Not dropped a point since losing away to Sheffield United on 10 February.

3. Never achieved six victories on the bounce in the Premiership era.

4. Scored in each of the last six, and failed to score in one of the last 10 League outings.

5. The 1-0 home win over Reading in the most recent League game, was their first clean sheet in 21 Premiership matches. Managed only five shut-outs all season - the joint lowest with Newcastle and West Ham.

6. One stalemate short of 150 Premier League draws all time.

7. Won the last two away League encounters - losing one of the last five.

8. Own the longest goalscorers list in the highest League of some 16 players.

9. The return leg in the quarter-finals of the Uefa Cup, home to Sevilla follows this. Thereafter are three Premiership fixtures in April, away to Wigan, home to arch rivals Arsenal and away to Middlesbrough.

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

CHELSEA

Didier DROGBA is the highest scoring Premiership player this season with 30 goals, 18 of which are League goals. The Ivory Coast International leads Manchester United's Cristiano RONALDO by two at the top of the table for the Barclays Golden Boot award.

Frank LAMPARD is the only remaining player to have started every one of Chelsea's Premiership matches this season.

If on the field from the outset, John TERRY will be making his 200th career League start (Nottingham Forest and Chelsea).

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR

Dimitar BERBATOV is Tottenham's leading scorer with 19 goals.

Jermain DEFOE and BERBATOV are the club's joint top marksmen in the Premiership, with eight each.

Steed MALBRANQUE is one shy of totalling 50 career goals for English clubs.

Paul ROBINSON is the only remaining player to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Tottenham's Premiership matches this season.

If he continues in goal, ROBINSON will be making his 250th club career appearance (Leeds and Tottenham).

If he plays, Jermaine JENAS will be making his 50th Premiership appearance in a Tottenham shirt.

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Chelsea 2-1 Tottenham Hotspur

11 March 2006 - Ref: Graham Poll

Chelsea scorers: Essien 14, Gallas 90

Spurs scorer: Jenas 45

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Tottenham Hotspur 2-1 Chelsea

5 November 2006 - Ref: Graham Poll

Spurs scorers: Dawson 25, Lennon 52

Chelsea scorer: Makelele 15

Sent Off: Terry (Chelsea) 72

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

Home and Spurs

League: Chelsea 49 wins, Spurs 41, Draws 27

Prem: Chelsea 18 wins, Spurs 1, Draws 10

at Chelsea only

League: Chelsea 27 wins, Spurs 19, Draws 12

Prem: Chelsea 9 wins, Spurs 0, Draws 5

Jose: Chelsea owe it all to me

JOSE MOURINHO insists that Chelsea’s success is all down to one man . . . himself.

The Special One reckons the Blues were nothing before he took charge three years ago and warns they could fall apart without his leadership.

And owner Roman Abramovich is left under no illusion about what he stands to lose if Mourinho leaves — or is sacked — in the summer.

Speaking about the team he inherited in 2004, Mourinho says players like Frank Lampard and John Terry only became world-class through his guidance.

The Blues boss said: “Who were Lampard, Terry, Drogba two years ago? They were certainly not world stars.

“And in this moment who are they? They are like Shevchenko or Ballack.

“Up until now my stars were stars that grew with me. We grew at the same time.

“When I coached Porto nobody was a star and everybody ended up rising to the national level.

“At Chelsea the players that were there already were not world-class stars and we also ended up growing in that direction. We won together. There was a big growth.”

Red Rom’s millions have enabled Mourinho to have an unrivalled pick in the transfer market.

But the Portuguese chief insists the likes of £30.8million summer signing Andriy Shevchenko and German midfield star Michael Ballack would not have moved to Stamford Bridge unless he had already created a special team.

Mourinho’s ego climbs to new heights as his secret thoughts are unveiled in a thesis written by biographer Luis Lourenco in Portugal.

He added: “People say I modified my transfer strategy because I bought Shevchenko and Ballack.

“I did not modify my transfer strategy. I bought stars for the environment of stars.

“I would never have bought Shevchenko and Ballack for a team without stars, for a team that had won nothing, for a team of players without titles, for a team that would be built around those two figures and 20 Joe Nobodies.

“In this moment they are stars but I also have Frank Lampard, who won the silver ball, was the second-best player in the world last season.

“And I have Terry, who was the best player in England.

“I have starters from different national teams and, finally, we were twice champions.

“I did not change my strategy. I think that my group, my players, are on a level and of a stature such that the others have to come to their reality.”

Chelsea entertain Tottenham today, with Mourinho aiming to make history by capturing his third straight Premiership title as well as the Quadruple.

But he has no doubts what would happen if he ever deserted his Blues troops.

Despite insisting publicly he will see out the rest of his contract to 2010, Mourinho has increasingly become a marginalised figure at Stamford Bridge and is no longer on speaking terms with Abramovich.

The Russian supremo wants to bring in Guus Hiddink as general manager in the summer.

But Mourinho said: “Leadership can be felt in the smallest of things, in the smallest details, with a look from, or just the presence of, the leader himself.

“I have players who say to me that when they do a drill in which I do not take an active part, my absence makes all the difference.

"For a period at Chelsea I deliberately stopped acting as a leader and thought ‘Let’s see what’s going to happen’.

"I came to the conclusion that it is not possible for me to step away.

“Even if the group is mature and strong after two, three, four years’ work, my leadership has to be applied every day.”

Mourinho is still reeling from his side’s 2-1 Premiership defeat at Spurs last November.

He said: “We had a goal by Drogba disallowed which would have made it 2-0, we had the sending-off of Terry, but it’s best not to talk about that because I might get another fine.”

Chelsea 1-0 Tottenham

Chelsea closed the gap on Premiership leaders Manchester United after Ricardo Carvalho's strike gave them victory over Tottenham at Stamford Bridge.

The defender made a rare venture into the Spurs half and fired a low 30-yard drive past the reach of Paul Robinson.

Frank Lampard had a volley blocked by Michael Dawson while Salomon Kalou wasted a 12-yard shot for the Blues.

Spurs' best chances came from strikers Mido and Dimitar Berbatov who both had headers tipped over by Petr Cech.

Neither team played at 100%, which was not a huge surprise considering the Premiership fixture was sandwiched between the two sides' respective European ties.

And with Thursday's return leg against Sevilla in mind, Spurs boss Martin Jol chose to leave out five key players from the starting XI, including Dimitar Berbatov, Aaron Lennon and Robbie Keane.

But by choosing to sacrifice the creative force, Jol's XI produced very litttle threat for much of a game dominated by a 'second string' Chelsea, which on paper looked just as strong as the first team.

The Blues, in with a shout of winning a unique quadruple, did not let the new-look Spurs settle during the match with Claude Makelele forever snapping at the heels of his opposing midfielders.

Up front Mido and Jermain Defoe, who have not played many games of late, looked rusty for Spurs and were well shackled by Carvalho and skipper John Terry.

Mido, who is unlikely to feature in the Jol's squad next season, almost made amends for his largely lackadaisical first-half efforts by giving Spurs a surprise lead after the break, but his bullet header from six yards was brilliantly tipped over by Cech.

Just a few minutes later, Chelsea took the lead through an unlikely source when defender Carvalho, who had a shot saved in the first half, rifled in a 30-yard angled shot from the right.

It was deserved reward for the home side who posed more problems in the Spurs area, with Lampard's volley blocked by Michael Dawson and Wright-Phillips just missing with a fizzing drive earlier in the game.

Salomon Kalou should have given his side a little bit more daylight following Carvalho's goal, but failed to get a good connection on Didier Drogba's square pass from 12 yards, allowing Robinson to scoop the ball away.

Spurs upped their tempo and 17-year-old substitute Adel Taarabt came close to bringing the scores level with almost his first touch, but his low 20-yard shot was tipped away by the alert Cech.

Jol then added Berbatov to the proceedings, and the Bulgarian also almost gave the travelling fans some cheer, but his powerful header was once again tipped over by Cech.

Tottenham pressed more, but Chelsea doggedly hung on to their 1-0 lead as they have done so many times this season to keep the heat on leaders Manchester United and keep them in the hunt for the quadruple.

:D

How do you like those apples Markr? We didn't play well yet again but we are still far to strong for the Spurs!.....Can we play you every week! :o

I wont be commenting unfortunately, I'm at work so couldn't watch!

Congratulations! :D

WE WILL HAVE OUR DAY!

nothing really changed still in our hands,can see us getting a result at chelsea,we have no problem in the bigger games.

chelsea have to go west ham newcastle arsenal, bolton everton and us, not all easy can chelsea win all 6 games, if they do they will deserve the league if we cannot win 5 out of our last 6.

there will be points lost by both teams.

i]Can we play you every week[/i]! :o

Sure, as long as we can have Ledley King fit.

Even without him we managed a 50% success rate against the money boys.

So based on these figures, if we played every week you would be about 9th - nice ....

It should be a nice tight finish to the season with the other money boys though.

nothing really changed still in our hands,can see us getting a result at chelsea,we have no problem in the bigger games.

chelsea have to go west ham newcastle arsenal, bolton everton and us, not all easy can chelsea win all 6 games, if they do they will deserve the league if we cannot win 5 out of our last 6.

there will be points lost by both teams.

Its certainly going to be difficult but I really think we can win all our remaining games, a couple of tricky ones especially Arsenal away but as West Ham showed yesterday Arsenal are not playing well right now.

So based on these figures, if we played every week you would be about 9th - nice ....

It should be a nice tight finish to the season with the other money boys though.

Do you really rate Ledley King as a good defender? he does play well now and again but isn't as dominating and consistant as say...John Terry, we have beaten you loads of times even when Ledley was in the team, Spurs are a good cup team, I can't see them becoming one of the top 4 teams in the league for many years to come. :D

Mourinho baits Man Utd over title

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has taunted Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson by claiming United are "lucky" not to be playing the Blues next week.

Chelsea cut United's lead at the top of the Premiership to three points at the weekend after beating Tottenham, while United lost to Portsmouth.

Mourinho said: "United are very lucky they don't have to play here next week. Can you imagine them here next weekend?

"That's the game where they will slip up, against us, so they're very lucky."

The Premiership champions face relegation-threatened West Ham on 18 April, while United's next game is at home to struggling Sheffield United.

And the top two go head-to-head at Stamford Bridge in the penultimate game of the season in a match which may decide the destination of the title.

Before this weekend's games Ferguson had bemoaned Tottenham getting just 36 hours recovery time from their Uefa Cup quarter-final in Seville.

But Mourinho said: "I was not surprised Ferguson complained about our fixture because he is intelligent and maybe he thinks other people are stupid.

"But the truth is United are very, very lucky with the fixtures because, until now, they have always played before us."

Mourinho added: "Ferguson is an intelligent man, a successful man with a great career.

"But when you think other people are stupid it is not a good quality."

Ferguson though, believes Chelsea have the more difficult run-in and is confident the Blues will slip up in their remaining six fixtures.

He said: "Chelsea have a lot of tough games coming up so someone will make them suffer. It is hard to believe they will go six games without that happening.

"We are still three points ahead and if I was given that option at the start of the season I would have taken it."

Man Utd's remaining Premiership fixtures:

Tuesday, 17 April

(H) Sheff Utd

Saturday, 21 April

(H) Middlesbrough

Saturday, 28 April

(A) Everton

Saturday, 5 May

(A) Man City

Wednesday, 9 May

(A) Chelsea

Sunday, 13 May

(H) West Ham

Chelsea's remaining Premiership fixtures:

Wednesday, 18 April

(A) West Ham

Sunday, 22 April

(A) Newcastle

Saturday, 28 April

(H) Bolton

Sunday, 6 May

(A) Arsenal

Wednesday, 9 May

(H) Man Utd

Sunday, 13 May

(H) Everton

Do you really rate Ledley King as a good defender? he does play well now and again but isn't as dominating and consistant as say...John Terry, we have beaten you loads of times even when Ledley was in the team, Spurs are a good cup team, I can't see them becoming one of the top 4 teams in the league for many years to come. :D

People said similar things about CFC not too long along ago.

Good luck tonight chaps, seriously.. (the last thing we (United fans) need is your mob concentrating solely on The Premiership! :o)

Saw this in The Guardian:

Mourinho undaunted by Valencia cauldron

Chelsea issue reassurance over role of Spanish police

Blues buoyed by return of Essien for key clash

Matt Scott in Valencia

Chelsea last night issued a statement reassuring their fans that the Spanish national police, whose reaction in dealing with Tottenham's supporters last week in Seville was so excessive, will be less intemperate in Valencia tonight.

There could be no similar declaration of security for the Chelsea manager, Jose Mourinho, however, whose position at Stamford Bridge seems to hinge on his club's success in the Champions League. Given the pressure of his situation, he might have preferred more forgiving surroundings than the Mestalla Stadium, where the fevered atmosphere has undone many English clubs.

In eight matches against Premiership opposition Valencia have gone unbeaten - the latest the 1-1 draw in west London last Wednesday that puts Chelsea's hopes of European success on a knife edge. Moreover, Los Che have not lost to an English team in 11 meetings at home.

Though history might stand in his way, Mourinho offered serene comments last night. "Pressure never killed anyone," he said. "The problem is to play well. I know Mestalla. I came here with Barça and the supporters are not so important because they don't get a goal. The relationships outside and the atmosphere [are good] and I want Chelsea to be proud of their own fans and have a beer together."

The prize for winning the match is likely to be an encounter with Liverpool in the semi-finals. Though he would not look beyond this finely poised tie, Mourinho would no doubt relish the opportunity to erase the memory of the "ghost goal" in last Champions League semi-final meeting between the two English clubs, with which he seems fixated. "The only goal the fans have ever scored in my experience is the one which beat us two years ago at Liverpool," he reiterated last night.

Chelsea know they must score to extend their European campaign, but again the statistics work against the visitors, since Valencia have not lost at home in the Champions League this season.

To Mourinho's chagrin Valencia's manager, Quique Sánchez Flores, further stacked the odds in his own team's favour by resting seven of those who will start tonight during their 1-0 defeat to Athletic Bilbao on Saturday. However, the Chelsea manager was keen to talk up his team's chances, having emerged unscathed from meetings against Porto, whom he led to Champions League success in 2004, and the reigning European champions, Barcelona.

"Valencia did [rest] some players but that is the difference between a team trying to win the Champions League and one trying to win everything," said Mourinho, reminding the world that even if tonight's result goes against his team there will still be life in Chelsea's season. "We know this is not a points game. It's a game which is decisive and we need a result and that means to score a goal. Maybe one goal is enough but we know we have to score. Now Chelsea have done very well. We have played past champions and now we have one game against Valencia which was not a good result - to draw at home - but we have the chance to play better and go through."

Chelsea will be lifted by the return from injury of Michael Essien, but much will depend on the performance of Didier Drogba, whose goal last Wednesday ensured Chelsea have a platform on which to build. That goal came when Drogba beat Roberto Ayala to a high ball, but it has not diminished the Ivorian's respect for his opponent. "Ayala is the best defender I have come across in my life, along with Terry, Carvalho and Gallas," he said. "In the air and on the ground he is incredible. He's always in the right place and he doesn't give you an inch. The thing that really impresses me is that he plays right on the edge but never commits fouls."

Valencia conceded at Stamford Bridge after, having been strangled in midfield, Chelsea abandoned build-up play in favour of launching balls forward. But Sánchez Flores warned Mourinho that a repeat tactic tonight would backfire.

"Of course Mourinho thinks and when he thinks he can consider different options," he said. "Direct football is easier to defend against. What is important is that we push up from our back line. If we defend too deep they could benefit from a loose ball. We have to put them under pressure in the middle of the pitch and at the other end as well."

Grabbing some stories from The Telegraph for our thread and read this.. interesting article I think:

Jose on top form in the mind game

Jose Mourinho appears to be leaving nothing to chance, so much so that he has managed to convince his Chelsea players that the task facing them at the Mestalla tonight is even more daunting than it actually is. "We need to score two goals to win," declared a misguided Ashley Cole.

One will do if Chelsea can defend as effectively as they have in the Premiership for eight successive games. But one is also the minimum requirement after last week's 1-1 draw and that has to be of some concern to the English champions.

As Mourinho will be only too aware, Valencia are no pushovers in front of their hugely passionate home fans. They are unbeaten here in the Champions League this season. Unbeaten in eight Champions League games versus English opposition.

Unbeaten, in fact, in all 11 European encounters with English clubs. And only once in those 11 meetings have they conceded more than one goal.

Just as great a worry is their ability to grind out the goalless draw they need to progress to a probable semi-final with Liverpool. They did exactly that against Inter Milan in the previous round and, while the game ended in an extraordinary bout of fisticuffs, Quique Sanchez Flores's side again proved themselves the meanest of hosts.

Confidence flowed through the veins of Sanchez Flores yesterday when he was asked to reflect on a comment Mourinho made in the wake of last Wednesday's game at Stamford Bridge. Mourinho called for a 'courageous' referee and Valencia's coach suggested his side would progress if Kyros Vassaras displayed such a quality.

Mindful of the fact that Chelsea need to attack with more urgency than their opponents this evening, Mourinho is giving strong consideration to a recall for Michael Essien. Chelsea's 'train' has been sidelined for three weeks with a knee injury but Mourinho could use his pace and power against a solid, brilliantly organised Valencia.

"Essien told me yesterday that he wanted to travel," revealed Mourinho. "I said 'on holiday or to play?'. He said 'to play'. So he is part of my plans for this game."

As significant for Valencia, however, is the probable return of Fernando Morientes.

Significant, also, for Chelsea if he proves anything like as influential as he was in the 2004 Champions League semi-final. In both legs for Monaco he scored twice, ending Chelsea's run in the competition that season and ruining any hope Claudio Ranieri had of avoiding the sack.

Three years on and Mourinho seems to be in as precarious position as his predecessor. Nobody can be certain, at this stage, that Roman Abramovich will dismiss his Portuguese manager at the end of the season.

The imminent arrival of Portsmouth's Avram Grant would suggest Mourinho might now be prepared to be more compliant if he is letting his employers recruit members of his coaching staff. But fail to guide Chelsea to a third semi-final in four years and Mourinho would be that little bit easier to sack. If sacking the best manager in Europe can ever be easy.

So strong is Mourinho mentally that such thoughts do not appear to enter his mind at the moment.

Yesterday he was thinking only of victory and the chance to maintain this remarkable pursuit for an unprecedented quadruple.

Even when it came to mention of a title race that is now gathering pace, Mourinho's initial attempts to dismiss the question were eventually followed by an amusing response.

"Before I go back to the Premiership I have to play a Champions League quarter-final against Valencia and an FA Cup semi-final against Blackburn," he said. "But what I will say is this, and I mean no disrespect to Roma because I like Roma and the I like the Italian clubs. I would like Manchester United to win tomorrow. I would like them to get to the semi-final. Why? Because it means they then have two more games, of course."

Mourinho says the current demands on his team are greater than they are on Valencia, pointing to the fact that Sanchez Flores rested seven players - including his goalkeeper - last weekend.

"There is a big difference between a team trying to win the Champions League and a team trying to win everything." he said.

But Mourinho nevertheless believes his side are quite capable of squeezing past Valencia and succeeding in a competition he won with Porto three years ago.

"We have had a good Champions League so far," he said. "We finished top of a group that included the champions (Barcelona) and we also beat a good Porto team.

"But winning the Champions League is about details, and sometimes there is nothing between success and no success. I'll give you two great examples.

"I won the Champions League with a goal in the last minute and a year later I lost a semi-final without conceding a goal. The pressure doesn't kill. Not even at the Mestalla because the supporters can't score the goals. Only on one occasion have the supporters scored a goal and that was for Liverpool."

He is referring, of course, to the goal that was scored by Liverpool's Luis Garcia in that 2005 semi-final. A goal that will forever be known by Mourinho as "the ghost goal".

He would happily accept one this evening, though. In fact, he'd even take two.

Probable teams: Cech; Diarra, Carvalho, Terry, A Cole; Essien, Ballack, Lampard, Mikel; Drogba, Shevchenko.

Valencia: Canizares; Miguel, Ayala, Moretti, Del Horno; Joaquin, Albiol, Albelda, Silva; Morientes, Villa.

Referee: K Vassaras (Greece).

Valencia v Chelsea (agg 1-1)

Champions League quarter-final, 2nd leg

Date: Tuesday, 10 April

Kick-off: 1945 BST

Venue: Estadio Mestalla

Referee: Kyros Vassaras (Greece)

Listen: BBC Radio Five Live

Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is hoping midfielder Michael Essien will recover from a knee injury to play some part.

Essien has been out of action since damaging ligaments in the FA Cup draw with Tottenham on 19 March.

Chelsea have no fresh injury worries but winger Arjen Robben remains sidelined with a knee injury.

Valencia striker Fernando Morientes is available after a shoulder injury, but winger Vicente Rodriguez is definitely ruled out through injury.

Valencia (probable): Canizares; Miguel, Ayala, Moretti, Del Horno; Joaquin, Albelda, Raul Albiol, Angulo; Silva, Villa.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Geremi, Carvalho, Terry, Boulahrouz, A Cole, Bridge, J Cole, Makelele, Ballack, Lampard, Essien, Diarra, Mikel, Shevchenko, Drogba, Kalou, Wright-Phillips.

BIG MATCH STATS

Definitions of terms used:-

Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.

Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.

European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).

Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.

Head-to-heads

Valencia and Chelsea's meeting last week was the first ever European encounter between the two clubs.

Valencia have played 13 European home matches against English clubs and have lost only twice. Chelsea have played 10 European away matches against clubs from Spain and have won only once.

European history

This is Valencia's fifth Champions League season. Their best result in the competition is reaching the final twice, losing both of them. In 2000, they fell 3-0 to Real Madrid, while they lost on penalties against Bayern Munich in 2001.

This is also Chelsea's fifth CL participation. Their best result is reaching the semi-finals, which they managed on two occasions (2003-04, 2004-05).

Current European form

Valencia are winless in their four CL matches, but undefeated in three. At home, the Spanish club have not lost in their last four in this competition.

Chelsea are unbeaten in three CL away matches. Overall, the Blues are unbeaten in four in Europe's premier club competition.

Player and disciplinary info

Arjen Robben, Michael Essien, Joe Cole, Didier Drogba, Lassana Diarra (all Chelsea), Roberto Ayala, David Albelda and Miguel Angulo (all Valencia) will all be suspended if booked.

David Navarro and Carlos Marchena (Valencia) are both suspended for this match following the brawl after the return leg in the last 16 against Internazionale.

Other miscellaneous facts

Valencia lost 1-0 at Athletic Bilbao in the Spanish League on Sunday, and have dropped into fifth place in the Primera Division.

Chelsea's home win over Spurs, did not only keep the pressure on Manchester United at the top of the Premiership table, it took the Londoners' unbeaten run in all competitions to 17 games

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports

Thanks for the updates Muckypups, you beat me to it!, its going to be one hel_l of a fight tonight to get the result we need. I know we only need 1 goal to goal through but if we score early I think my fingers will be biten to the knuckle by the end of the match.

We cannot afford to sit back against a team of Valencia's quality, 2-0 will do for me, then on to face the scousers! COME ON THE BLUES!!

Thanks for the well wishes Mr B. :o

Valencia 1-2 Chelsea (agg 2-3)

Michael Essien scored in the last minute to book Chelsea's place in the Champions League semi-finals and break Valencia's hearts in the Mestalla.

Essien's angled drive beat Santiago Canizares at his near post, a disaster for the keeper who had just made a wonder save to deny Michael Ballack.

Valencia took the lead when Joaquin crossed for Fernando Morientes to slide in, just after Morientes hit a post.

Chelsea's incredible comeback looks likely to set up an all-English last-four tie with Liverpool, presuming they finish the job against PSV Eindhoven on Wednesday.

It was a stunning climax to an absorbing contest and Chelsea deserved their reward for a second-half display full of guts and determination.

Valencia made the better start to the game, but having failed to snatch an early goal they looked happy to sit back and soak up Chelsea pressure.

The visitors had chances early on, as Ricardo Carvalho and Shevchenko both nodded wide and Ballack's powerful header was saved by Canizares.

Valencia were not threatening at all. But as the clock ticked around to the half-hour mark, they suddenly came to the party.

David Villa exploded into life and surged at the Chelsea defence, playing in Morientes, who saw his thunderous left-foot strike cannon back off the post from 20 yards.

Moments later, Valencia led. Joaquin crossed from the right and the Chelsea defence uncharacteristically went missing, Morientes sneaking in at the far post to half-volley home from six yards.

Drogba nearly levelled soon after, the Ivorian's flashing header superbly clawed away from the top corner by the 37-year-old Canizares.

Chelsea needed a response straight after half-time and Jose Mourinho walked down the tunnel before the first period had ended to gather his thoughts ahead of a crucial 15 minutes in their season.

Yet again, the Portuguese master-manager worked the oracle, as the Blues hauled themselves level just seven minutes after the restart.

It was scrappy, but they all count. An Essien free-kick fell to Drogba and as Roberto Ayala could only divert his shot into Shevchenko's path, the striker slammed in from two yards.

Suddenly it was the travelling Blues fans who were in full voice as the partizan home crowd were instantly silenced.

On the pitch, Chelsea sensed blood. One more goal and Valencia would need two, and Drogba forced Canizares to save low to his left from a quick counter-attack.

It was turning into a classic European tie, as Shevchenko crashed one wide and Miguel Angel Angulo fired over as the two heavyweights traded blows.

With five minutes to go, Canizares made one of the greatest saves you could ever wish to see.

Ballack's bullet header from Frank Lampard's free-kick was destined for the bottom corner, only for the keeper to get down to his left and somehow not only save it with his left hand, but get it up and over the crossbar.

But the bleach-blond custodian dramatically went from hero to villain in the dying stages as he left a crucial gap at his near post for Essien to rifle in a winner.

Valencia: Canizares, Miguel, Ayala, Moretti, Del Horno, Joaquin, Albelda, Albiol (Hugo Viana 72), Silva, Morientes (Angulo 65), Villa.

Subs Not Used: Butelle, Jorge Lopez, Curro Torres, Nacho Insa, Pallardo.

Booked: Del Horno, Albelda, Ayala, Moretti. Goals: Morientes 32.

Chelsea: Cech, Diarra (Joe Cole 46), Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Mikel, Essien, Lampard (Makelele 90), Ballack, Shevchenko (Kalou 90), Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Bridge, Ferreira, Wright-Phillips.

Booked: Essien, Ballack.

Goals: Shevchenko 52, Essien 90.

Att: 53,000.

Ref: Kyros Vassaras (Greece).

Mourinho hails 'amazing' Chelsea

Jose Mourinho hailed 'an amazing' second half performance from his team as Chelsea defeated Valencia 2-1 in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals.

Michael Essien's 90th minute drive saw The Blues come from behind after Andrei Shevchenko had cancelled out Fernando Morientes's first half opener.

A tactical rejig at the interval saw The Blues take the game to Valencia in superb style.

"It was a great performance, especially in the second half," said Mourinho. "A great performance against a good team. We had a difficult start and were losing 1-0 and out of the competition.

"But the second half was amazing. We dominated the second half but I did not have to give a hot half-time talk. I was just telling my players to be strong and to have a strong mentality.

"I told them to resist the pressure. We made a tactical change by putting Essien at right-back. He is offensive and powerful in that position and Joe Cole and (Andrei) Shevchenko helped us to create more two-on-one situations.

"We deserved to win the game over 90 minutes. (Santiago) Canizares made two unbelievable saves - especially the one against Michael Ballack's header.

"I thought the team was very strong. I had the changes ready if it went to extra-time. But when I saw the ball in the net in the last minute with Valencia needing to score two, it was great.

"It happened to me when I was at Porto - we scored in Old Trafford in the last moment. Like all goals, there was great emotion."

Mourinho reserved special praise for his matchwinner, who is suspended for the first leg of the semi-final following a first half booking.

"Essien is a special player. He is an athlete. He can run forever. He could play a game every day. He is a superb athlete," added Mourinho.

"When we lost him one month ago it was a big, big loss. But he was ready to come for this crucial game. I know he is suspended for the next game but this one was the crucial one. The next one is not crucial."

Chelsea now seem set to meet Liverpool in the tournament's semi-final but Mourinho insists he is not contemplating revenge for their defeat by The Reds at the same stage in 2005.

"Revenge is not for me. It is not a word for me in football or life. We know we start from behind and why - it is simple because Liverpool plays only Champions League we play everything else.

"We have players suspended and on yellow cards and Liverpool is in a very clean situation so I think they start in front of us. But the mentality and the character my players are showing - we will be ready for them."

Cheers guys! what a brilliant team performance in the 2nd half, I really thought it was going to the wire, just cracking open another beer for the extra 30 mins and up steps "The Bisson" what a fabulous run from his latest position, the man really doesn't tire. Bring on the scousers in a fortnight!!

Mourinho delight at Chelsea show

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho said his side's last-gasp 2-1 win in Valencia was the best away performance in Europe in his time in charge at the club.

"I was starting to prepare my brain for extra-time but we deserved to win over the 90 minutes, clearly," he said.

"We completely dominated in the second half and they had no chances.

"It is maybe our best performance away from home in three seasons. This is an unbelievable group and what we are doing this season is amazing."

Mourinho added: "I am proud of this group because this is a special season. Nobody has had so many problems as we had. We have had big problems with more than 50% of the team.

"But they resist and resist and mentally they are very strong. I could not be more proud of these players.

"It is an amazing situation for English football with three teams in the semi-finals of the competition.

"But we deserved to win the game over 90 minutes. Santiago Canizares made two unbelievable saves - especially the one against Michael Ballack's header.

"I thought the team was very strong. I had the changes ready if it went to extra-time. But when I saw the ball in the net in the last minute with Valencia needing to score two, it was great.

"It happened to me when I was at Porto - we scored in Old Trafford in the last moment. Like all goals, there was great emotion.

"Michael Essien is a special player. He is an athlete. He can run forever. He could play a game every day. He is a superb athlete.

"When we lost him one month ago it was a big, big loss. But he was ready to come for this crucial game. I know he is suspended for the next game but this one was the crucial one. The next one is not crucial."

The win means that Chelsea remain challenging on four fronts this season.

The Carling Cup winners are also in contention for the Premiership and FA Cup.

"It was a great performance in the second half, we were under pressure. We were losing 1-0 and it was an unbelievable performance," he said.

Chelsea will be joined in the last four of the Champions League by Manchester United, their rivals for the Premiership crown.

"I am very pleased Manchester United are also in the Champions League semi-finals because they will also have to play two more matches and their focus is also in three competitions," he said.

The Portuguese was also upbeat about the extra games facing Chelsea.

"Being in the semi-final is great for the team, great for the group," he said.

"This is amazing. We have won a competition and are in two semi-finals.

"We have a difficult semi-final on Sunday but hopefully we can be in the FA Cup final and we are still fighting for the Premiership."

Chelsea skipper John Terry admitted that Mourinho had given his players a verbal rocket at half-time, when they went in trailing 1-0.

"We had to be a lot better than in the first half. We were not good enough and we got a kick up the backside.

"We came out in the second half and we dominated. We never gave up and we had said before if we went a goal down it wouldn't change anything."

Archived