Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

Good article in The Mail:

Rafa must beware as Mourinho leads from the front

Jose Mourinho celebrated Chelsea's dramatic last-minute winner against Valencia by claiming that their likely semi- final opponents Liverpool are already favourites to reach the final.

Rafa Benitez's men are expected to complete the formality of beating PSV Eindhoven at Anfield this evening and set up a second European Cup semi-final between the two teams in the last three years.

Mourinho, who will be without match winner Michael Essien for the first leg at Stamford Bridge after he picked up a second yellow card last night, said: "Revenge is not a word I like to use in football or in life.

"We have to beat them, but we will start the game from behind. When I look at Liverpool, I see that they are only playing for the Champions League.

"We are playing for the Champions League, the Premiership and the FA Cup. They start the tie in front of us."

Essien completed Chelsea's remarkable comeback when he rifled his shot past Santiago Canizares to inflict Valencia's first defeat by English opposition at the Mestalla since Leeds beat them in 1967. It was the 25th time this season Chelsea have scored in the final 10 minutes.

The Chelsea chief, whose side remain on course for an unprecedented quadruple, added: "Essien is a special player and we missed him when he was out through injury.

"In my mind, we were heading for extra time and I was preparing to get the sports drinks ready when he scored.

"For me it was a golden goal because it meant they had to score two and they just didn't have the time to do it.

"I am so proud of this group of players because we have had so many problems and they have stayed strong throughout the season.

At half time I told them that they were out of the Champions League, but the second half was amazing. We were the only team in it and it was a very special performance from a very special team."

More than 2,500 Chelsea supporters who made the trip celebrated their extraordinary victory, but there was no sign of their billionaire benefactor Roman Abramovich.

Chelsea claimed that Abramovich was in Russia on official business, but Mourinho admitted that his absence may be significant.

He added: "I want to stay in England at the end of the season and I want to stay at Chelsea, but sometimes you can't get what you want in life.

"If I can't coach here, I want to train another team in England."

Mourinho jumped all over John Terry as the Chelsea captain gave his post-match TV interview. Terry laughed: "I think he's happy now! He wasn't at half-time. We had to be a lot better than in the first half. We were not good enough and we got a kick up the backside."

Mourinho added: "This is an unbelievable group and what we are doing this season is amazing.

"I am very pleased Manchester United are also in the Champions League semi-finals because they will also have to play two more matches and their focus is also in three competitions."

After the high fives with Valencia coach Quique Sanchez Flores last week, Mourinho showed last night exacly who had the upper hand.

Following the friendly fire at Stamford Bridge in the first leg, Quique Sanchez Flores and Mourinho got down to the nitty gritty in the Mestalla.

Mourinho can stand toe to toe with any of the great coaches in the modern game after lifting the famous old trophy with Porto in 2004 and he has since gone on to become the most successful Chelsea manager in their history.

The Chelsea chief was first off the team bus when they arrived at the Mestalla an hour and a half before kick-off and he ignored the mob of angry Valencia fans baying for their blood.

Leading from the front is the measure of Mourinho and his team showed nerves of steel to progress to the semi-finals.

More than 50,000 frenzied locals were waiting to eat them alive in this breakfast bowl of a stadium and they took time to settle before Shevchenko secured their equaliser.

After that, there was only one team in it and Essien delivered the knockout blow in the dying seconds of normal time.

Mourinho added: "The feeling I have now is the same feeling I had when Porto scored in the last minute at Old Trafford to go through in 2004. I have that same emotion. Every Chelsea fan must be proud of their team and every England fan should be as well."

Until last night, Roma's Francesco Totti had been the only visiting player to score in this stadium in the Champions League when his side lost 2-1.

But Chelsea left an indelible mark on the Mestalla. For that, they undoubtedly have the grandmaster to thank.

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jose wants end to exit talk

Jose Mourinho has called for the intense speculation over his future to end as he is keen to continue his 'historic' work with Chelsea.

After steering his side into the UEFA Champions League semi-finals on Tuesday night, Mourinho appeared to reignite talk of a possible exit by admitting he could be forced to find alternative employment come the end of the season.

The Portuguese boss has seen his relationship with owner Roman Abramovich come under close scrutiny this season and he was openly frustrated with the club's stance during the January transfer window.

Barcelona, Real Madrid and Internazionale have all been suggested as possible destinations for the self-styled 'Special One', with a move to the Bernabeu as Fabio Capello's replacement seeming the most likely scenario at present.

However, Mourinho - who is still hunting an unprecedented quadruple this season - has now attempted to curb talk of a move to Spain by underlining his desire to remain at Stamford Bridge.

"I don't want my name linked with Madrid or with any other club because I want to stay with Chelsea," Mourinho told Marca.

"I've got a contract until 2010 and I want to carry on."

Mourinho went on to add that if he did leave Chelsea, he would be keen to return to the Premiership at some point in the future.

"If I have to leave for some reason or because someone wants me to... that's life in soccer.

"And if I leave I want to keep coaching next season at another European club.

"I like English soccer and I'd like to coach another club in the Premiership but not now.

"I don't imagine leaving Chelsea and going straight to another English club. It would be a very strange situation and I don't want it to happen."

Having claimed four major trophies in under three seasons, with the possibility of another three to follow in the coming weeks, Mourinho has described his superb work at Stamford Bridge as 'historic'.

However, the former Porto coach believes that this season could yet prove to be his most memorable as Chelsea remain in contention for the Premiership, FA Cup and UEFA Champions League.

"I have done work in these three years which could be termed historic, because some of the things we have done can only be described this way," Mourinho added.

"This season has been the best of all because we have had to overcome some incredible problems.

"It's been unbelievable what we've suffered because of injury problems this season, and look what we're still managing to do."

Jose bans agent exit talks

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has banned his agent from talking to other clubs, as rumours of a summer exit from Stamford Bridge refuse to be silenced.

Despite having repeatedly reiterated a desire to prolong his stay in West London, Mourinho has been linked with a move to Real Madrid at the close of the current campaign.

The Portuguese's existing contract at Chelsea expires in 2010 and Mourinho is determined to fulfil the deal he initially signed up for.

It has been suggested this week in Spain that Mourinho's agent Jorge Mendes has been talking to Madrid, about his client, but again this is speculation the Chelsea chief refuses to give credence.

"What I have said 20 times at least is that I want to be here and I can not do more than that," he told Sky Sports News.

"I am not a liar. I am honest. So when I say 200 times to my players, to my supporters, the board, to everybody, even the people who don't support Chelsea, that I want to stay at Chelsea, I want to honour my contract, I want to be here.

"I love the club, and I love English football, I can do no more that.

"I have forbidden my agent to speak with other clubs, I don't want my name to be linked with other jobs."

Blues celebrate double award

Chelsea have landed an awards double with Jose Mourinho being named Barclays manager of the month for March and goalkeeper Petr Cech the player of the month.

The Blues recorded four league wins without conceding a goal in March to maintain the pressure on Manchester United and keep their hopes of a quadruple alive.

Mourinho, as ever, was the mastermind behind the impressive run of form, but Czech Republic international Cech also played a crucial role in goal to continue his comeback from a life-threatening head injury sustained in October.

The former Rennes star becomes the first keeper to win the award since Leicester City's Tim Flowers in September 2000, and Mourinho was delighted with the efforts of his whole squad after claiming his first monthly award since January 2005.

"As I was saying before when they gave me the trophy you can call it 'manager of the month' but for me it is more 'team of the month'," said Mourinho.

"We won every game and played well and my players deserve the trophy. I cannot complain. I was 'manager of the year' in the last two years in the Premiership.

"Last month we won every game and we played more matches than other people because we had to play matches in hand.

"We didn't concede one single goal, and played well, it is normal."

Chelsea silent on Mourinho future

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho says the club's directors have not yet told him if he will be in charge next season.

Mourinho has received the backing of chief executive Peter Kenyon but says the directors have not yet given him any guarantees.

"I told the board in person I want to stay and I was satisfied with their reaction," he said.

But when asked why he could not be certain of staying at Chelsea, he said: "Because nobody told me."

Russian owner Roman Abramovich will have the final say on Mourinho's future, and he has yet to make any comment or give any signal, despite the club being in contention for an unprecedented quadruple.

Mourinho has made it clear that as far as he is concerned, he wants to stay, and expects his children to continue at their school next year.

"I love the club, I love English football. I can say for example that we have told the school that we want to keep their place next season," he said.

"Success is about groups. When we fail I accept the manager is the face of the failure, when we win I don't accept the manager is the face of the success.

"The players have been absolutely fantastic. The season has been difficult but great. This is a very, very special group."

Blackburn v Chelsea

Old Trafford

Sunday, 15 April

Semi-final

Kick-off: 1600 BST

Referee: Alan Wiley (Staffordshire)

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live & highlights on MOTD2

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes has no new injury or suspension problems for the FA Cup semi-final against Chelsea.

Long-term absentees Steven Reid and Robbie Savage remain on the sidelines.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho is also relatively injury-free for the Old Trafford encounter despite a punishing Champions League tie in Valencia.

Midfielder Michael Essien came through the 2-1 midweek victory unscathed, but Dutch winger Arjen Robben is still out with his knee problem.

Blackburn (from): Friedel, Emerton, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock, Bentley, Tugay, Mokoena, Pedersen, Derbyshire, McCarthy, Nonda, Khizanishvili, Dunn, Henchoz, Roberts, Peter, Enckelman, Gallagher, Brown.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Geremi, Carvalho, Terry, Boulahrouz, A Cole, Bridge, J Cole, Makelele, Ballack, Lampard, Essien, Diarra, Obi, Shevchenko, Drogba, Kalou, Wright-Phillips.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

BLACKBURN ROVERS take on Chelsea in the second semi-final of the FA Cup, hoping to put paid to the Blues dream of quadruple honours. It's is Rovers' 18th appearance in the semi-finals and second in three seasons. They made the last four in 2005, losing 3-0 to the eventual winners Arsenal. That semi-final required an X-rating for Blackburn's over-physical approach in a game of seven bookings.

The Ewood Park club were drawn away from home in all but one of their ties in this run, and have had to overcome Premiership opposition in three of the four rounds. They dismissed Everton and Championship strugglers Luton at the first time of asking on the road, needed a replay before beating Arsenal in Lancashire, and then dismissed Manchester City in the quarter-finals on their own patch. Matt Derbyshire has scored four goals in the process, and Benni McCarthy three. They've conceded just one goal in the entire journey, keeping clean sheets in the last four outings.

Rovers go into the tie on a three-match losing Premiership sequence, scoring three goals and conceding eight in succumbing to West Ham (h), Manchester United (a) and Aston Villa (h).

Mark Hughes was the only player to have picked up four FA Cup winners' medals in the 20th century. He tasted success with Manchester United in 1985, 1990 and 1994 and with Chelsea in 1997. But he is not the only player to have collected four - indeed in the previous century three players picked up five each.

Hughes is hoping to steer his side to the silverware for the seventh time in their history, and the first in 79 years since 1928. They last figured in the Wembley showpiece in 1960, losing 3-0 to Wolves. Blackburn were also the last club to win the FA Cup three times in a row (1884, 1885 and 1886).

CHELSEA head for Old Trafford, with one piece of silverware in the trophy cabinet and still challenging for three more. They're three points behind Manchester United at the top of the Premiership, preparing to face Liverpool in the Champions League semi-finals and one match away from appearing in the first FA Cup final to be contested at the new Wembley, having won the last at the old one.

This is the 15th consecutive season there has been a London club in the last four of the FA Cup. Chelsea have reached this stage for the 17th time in their history and the second in as many seasons. Twelve months ago they faced Liverpool in a pulsating tie at the same venue and lost 2-1. John Arne Riise and Luis Garcia put the Reds two-up before Didier Drogba's header sparked an ultimately fruitless last 20 minutes of constant Chelsea pressure.

The FA Cup remains the only domestic trophy Chelsea have not won under owner Roman Abramovich and manager Jose Mourinho. They go into the tie unbeaten in 18 matches in all competitions, culminating in Tuesday's epic 2-1 Champions League victory over Valencia in Spain. They've won 15 and drawn three League and Cup matches since losing 2-0, away to Liverpool in the Premiership - their only reverse in 33 outings.

They've already played, and beaten Blackburn three times this season, keeping clean sheets in all three games.

This will be the 100th competitive match between the pair. Chelsea's only defeat in the last nine was 1-0 at Ewood Park in the Premiership on 2 May 2006, when Steven Reid scored. They've been drawn together in the FA Cup for only the fourth time in their history. Northern Ireland international Noel Brotherston scored the only goal in Blackburn's third round victory in 1984 - their most recent meeting. It's 76 years since Chelsea last knocked out Rovers.

The west Londoners' road towards Wembley has not lacked goals. They've been drawn at home in every round and avoided Premiership opposition until the quarter-finals, beating Macclesfield, Nottingham Forest and Norwich with an aggregate score of 13-1. They then shared six goals with Tottenham at Stamford Bridge and won the replay 1-2 when Andrey Shevchenko scored for the third time in the competition. Frank Lampard is the club's top scorer of FA Cup goals so far this season with five.

Chelsea last reached the final in 2002, losing 2-0 to Arsenal at the Millennium Stadium. They beat Aston Villa 1-0 in 2000 with a goal from Roberto Di Matteo. The same player scored the fastest goal in Wembley Cup Final history three years earlier, when his strike after 43 seconds led to a 2-0 victory over Middlesbrough. It wasn't so clear cut in 1970 as the final went to a replay. The original tie played on a disgraceful surface that had earlier hosted the Horse of the Year Show ended 2-2 after 120 minutes. Chelsea prevailed 2-1 in the replay at Old Trafford. Peter Osgood ensured he scored in every round, and David Webb won it in extra time.

Blackburn 1-2 Chelsea (aet)

Chelsea's Michael Ballack grabbed an extra-time winner against Blackburn to set up an FA Cup final with Manchester United at Wembley on 19 May.

A tame Rovers had fallen behind when Frank Lampard raced on to a Ballack pass and angled in a shot.

But Blackburn produced a rousing fightback and Jason Roberts glanced in a shot before an unmarked Morten Gamst Pedersen headed wide from 10 yards.

The gripping tie went into extra time and Ballack slotted in on 109 minutes.

Chelsea had bided their time at the start of the game as they efficiently and comfortably contained Rovers, while searching for a breakthrough - which came in ruthless style after 16 minutes.

Keeper Petr Cech's long goal-kick found striker Didier Drogba and he used his strength to hold off towering centre-back Christopher Samba.

Drogba laid off the ball for Ballack to slide a pass into the run of Lampard, who skipped over a Ryan Nelsen challenge before sending an unerring finish across goal into the far corner.

Blackburn were having their game strangled out of them by Chelsea as the occasion seemed to send them into their shell.

But the Ewood Park side finally showed some signs of fight just before the break when David Dunn had a 20-yard strike saved by Cech.

Samba should have headed in the resultant corner only to see his effort go agonisingly over from eight yards.

Chelsea had a great chance to add a second shortly after the interval when they dubiously beat the offside trap.

Drogba broke through on goal before squaring the ball to an unmarked Shevchenko, who comically fell over as he tried to sidefoot the ball in.

But Blackburn were a more forceful and forward thinking side in the second half as they finally shook off the shackles to give Chelsea a fright.

Roberts turned and rifled in an angled shot, which was well-saved by Cech at his near post.

Pedersen hit the post with a far-post header from a deep David Bentley corner before Blackburn's efforts were rewarded with an equaliser.

Roberts diverted the ball past a despairing Cech by deflecting a shot home from 10 yards.

Norwegian Pedersen had a free header after 82 minutes and looked set to give Rovers the lead only to put the chance inches wide.

Chelsea skipper John Terry then almost scored an own goal but had Cech to thank for saving his blushes as the keeper tipped the ball away at full stretch and the game went into extra time.

The Blues mounted the greater pressure and Ballack grabbed the winner after before a Michael Essien shot struck the crossbar late on.

Chelsea have already won the Carling Cup and this win keeps alive their Quadruple challenge as they are still in the hunt for the FA Cup, Premiership and Champions League.

Blackburn: Friedel, Emerton, Samba, Nelsen, Warnock, Bentley (Derbyshire 114), Dunn (Peter 106), Mokoena, Pedersen, Roberts, McCarthy.

Subs Not Used: Enckelman, Kerimoglu, Henchoz.

Booked: Emerton, Mokoena, Pedersen, Warnock.

Goals: Roberts 64.

Chelsea: Cech, Essien, Carvalho, Terry, Ashley Cole, Ballack, Makelele (Mikel 81), Lampard, Shevchenko (Kalou 63), Drogba, Joe Cole (Wright-Phillips 97).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Boulahrouz.

Booked: Mikel, Ballack.

Goals: Lampard 16, Ballack 109.

Att: 50,559

Ref: A Wiley (Staffordshire).

I saw that game and thought Blackburn deserved to win :o

honest opinion :D

oops....wrong thread....but I didnt see a Blackburn thread ???

You do mean of course.............." Which Blackburn deserved to win after Chelsea sqandered chances to go 4 up"

Chelsea were better in the first half

Blackburn were better in the second half

Chelsea were better in extra time

So the score reflects the match 2-1

Of course the magician weaved his magic again, bringing on SWP to set up the winner.

I saw that game and thought Blackburn deserved to win :o

honest opinion :D

oops....wrong thread....but I didnt see a Blackburn thread ???

You do mean of course.............." Which Blackburn deserved to win after Chelsea sqandered chances to go 4 up"

Chelsea were better in the first half

Blackburn were better in the second half

Chelsea were better in extra time

So the score reflects the match 2-1

Of course the magician weaved his magic again, bringing on SWP to set up the winner.

another lucky win but a win is a win .see you man u fans in the final :D

You have to hand it to us, credit where credit is due, we've played so many games in such a short period of time and still never stop fighting until the whistle blows. We deserve everthing we are getting and a little more appraisal from the media wouldn't go amiss!! :o

Blues win earns Abramovich thanks

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho exchanged a celebratory hug with club owner Roman Abramovich as their relationship showed signs of improvement.

The pair embraced after Chelsea's 2-1 extra-time win over Blackburn in the FA Cup semi-final on Sunday.

"I have met him and we had a hug," said Mourinho, whose future has been in doubt following claims he has fallen out with Abramovich.

"I told him congratulations and he said the same. That is normal."

Mourinho has asked the Stamford Bridge club to break their silence about his future, but Abramovich has still to reveal his standing on the situation.

The Chelsea boss has received the backing of club chief executive Peter Kenyon but says the directors have not yet given him any guarantees.

Mourinho's contract runs until 2010 and he has repeatedly said he wants to stay at the club.

The embrace between Mourinho and Abramovich came in the directors' box at Old Trafford after the win over Blackburn set up an FA Cup final against Manchester United at Wembley on 19 May.

Chelsea are also still vying to add the Premiership and Champions League trophies to their Carling Cup victory as they chase an unprecedented Quadruple.

Blackburn gave Chelsea a scare and could have won it if Morten Gamst Pedersen had done better than send a free header wide after 83 minutes.

"I was afraid," said Mourinho. "If they had scored at the end of normal time, the game would probably have been over but my team were heroes again."

Mourinho singled out keeper Petr Cech after he made some vital saves to keep Blackburn at bay.

Cech was sidelined for three months after undergoing surgery on a fractured skull because of an injury picked up against Reading.

"He is the best goalkeeper in the world, everybody knows that, but to be the best in the world three months after that incredible surgery is amazing.

"When we saw him at Reading and then in the hospital, without hair and with a big scar, and then when he was trying all his different helmets on, there were a lot of question marks.

"We didn't know whether he could come back and still be the same. To come back and be so good, so quickly is fantastic."

Chelsea play West Ham on Wednesday before facing another Premiership match at Newcastle on Sunday and a Champions League semi-final, first leg against Liverpool three days later.

The Reds played out a 0-0 draw with Manchester City on Saturday and Mourinho said: "One of my assistants went to watch and he left after 60 minutes because it was like a testimonial match.

"We have just played for two hours, then in three days we have a match at West Ham which we have to win and on Sunday we have another at Newcastle where we are in exactly the same position.

"The way the matches are in this country is unbelievable."

Chelsea could also play Manchester United three times in a fortnight for a shoot-out for the Premiership on 9 May, FA Cup on 19 May and possibly the Champions League final on 23 May.

"I wouldn't be sad if we had to play them three times in a fortnight," he said.

"The way we have both played this season is absolutely unbelievable. We are both still fighting for the three major trophies, which is amazing.

"What we have to try to do is make sure our league game against them at Stamford Bridge is a final.

"We have to keep this run going and make sure we go into that game with a chance to be champions."

JT: Stalled talks not an issue

John Terry has reiterated his desire to stay at Chelsea for life, despite the fact talks over a new contract have stalled.

The England and Blues skipper has revealed that talks have indeed broken down - but he insists that is normal and that he does not see a problem in prolonging his stay at Stamford Bridge.

"I am in negotiations with the club at the moment," he told Sky Sports News.

"The contract is being talked about and they have broken down, like they have many times, it is still widely open.

"I have two years on my current deal and I am sure things will be sorted, I am Chelsea, through and through - I want to stay for life, I love the club, love the players, love the manager, Roman - and I want everyone around me when I do stay."

Terry added that he feels Jose Mourinho and close-friend Frank Lampard should also be handed new deals.

"I've made it clear, Frank has and the manager has, that we all want to stay," he said.

"We are a tight-knit family and we want to keep it that way for many years.

"If we can keep Frank and the manager, we can achieve great things at Chelsea over the years."

Terry also admitted the club have been boosted by the news that owner Roman Abramovich and manager Jose Mourinho appear to be getting on better.

Talk of a rift between Abramovich and Mourinho has dogged Chelsea's season - but still the Premiership champions have maintained their form.

They are still in with a chance of completing a remarkable quadruple having come through Sunday's FA Cup semi-final with Blackburn.

After the Blackburn win, Abramovich and Mourinho embraced - which Terry feels is 'great' for everyone at Chelsea.

"It is great for the players to see pictures of that in the paper today, nothing better and that should give us an extra boost and it is fantastic to see," he continued.

"As a group of players all we can do is perform well on the pitch and now hopefully the results can settle things outside.

"He [Mourinho] has been such a big part of it, he is the best manager in the world for me and certainly a lot of other players.

"He has come in and brought us players on leaps and bounds, and certainly any other player will tell you that from Chelsea.

"It is about the players, the manager, the backroom staff, it is like a family club at Chelsea, all fighting and pushing in the right direction."

Terry also feels Abramovich's continued presence is equally important to Chelsea.

"With Roman in charge as well with what he has brought over the years he is phenomenal and with him, the manager in charge and the group of players that we have got, who knows what we can achieve in the next few years," he added.

No rift at Chelsea, insists Terry

Chelsea skipper John Terry has denied that there is a rift between Russian owner Roman Abramovich and Portuguese manager Jose Mourinho.

There has been repeated speculation that Mourinho will leave Stamford Bridge in the summer after a breakdown of his relationship with Abramovich.

But Terry told BBC Five Live Sport: "We know what is going on, there are no dramas. There is no rift at the club."

Abramovich and Mourinho embraced after the FA Cup semi-final win on Sunday.

Chelsea beat Blackburn 2-1 in extra time and Terry added: "It was nice to see. Things are well at the club.

"Roman is a busy man and a businessman. He is there at every game for us - let us not forget that.

"If he has to shoot off for family or business reasons then he has to do that but he makes sure he is there supporting us - and I think that has been overshadowed a bit.

"It was nice to see the cuddle and I'm sure that when Roman has the time he will be the first man in the dressing room."

Mourinho was appointed manager at Chelsea in June 2004 and has made it clear that he wants to stay until his current deal expires in 2010.

"What I have said 20 times at least is that I want to be here and I cannot do more than that," said Mourinho.

"I am not a liar. I am honest. So when I say 200 times to my players, to my supporters, the board, to everybody, even the people who don't support Chelsea, that I want to stay at Chelsea, I want to honour my contract, I want to be here, I love the club, and I love English football, I can do no more that.

Meanwhile, Terry admitted that talks over a new deal had broken down - but said that he wanted to spend the rest of his career at the club.

"The talks have stalled at the minute but that is what happens in contract negotiations," stated the 26-year-old.

"I want something and the club wants to give me something else.

"We are at that stage - they have broken down, as they do with any, but all the players and the supporters know that I want to stay here for the rest of my career. I love the club.

"I want to make sure that not only myself but Frank Lampard, the manager and Roman are still here in four or five years because if we stay together we can achieve great things."

Chelsea have already won the Carling Cup this season and remain in the hunt for three more trophies.

They are in the FA Cup Final, the semi-finals of the Champions League and are second in the Premiership.

And Terry added: "We are in all competitions and they all mean so much to us.

"We have shown that when the chips are down we have got another level from somewhere within.

"We have got fresh legs coming back so everything is looking good for us."

Cole expecting Hammers stick

Chelsea's Joe Cole is expecting a frosty reception when he makes his West Ham return, live on Sky Sports 1.

The England international has not played at Upton Park since his move in 2003 as he was suspended for last season's clash.

Cole felt he left The Hammers on good terms, but is still expecting a rough ride from the Upton Park faithful on Wednesday night.

"I've not been back there as a player because I was suspended for the game last season," Cole said in the Daily Mirror.

"I'll probably get some stick, but that's football. I was skipper at West Ham. I did everything I could for the club.

"I left under good terms. Obviously we went down, but I was as gutted as everyone else.

"But when Chelsea come calling, you can't turn it down. This club has been amazing for me - I owe the people here a lot, I want to repay them."

West Ham v Chelsea

Upton Park

Wednesday, 18 April

Kick-off: 2000 BST

Coverage on the BBC Sport website & BBC Radio Five Live

West Ham manager Alan Curbishley has no fresh injury concerns and is set to name an unchanged squad.

Calum Davenport has not been considered after his foot injury and Matthew Upson and Danny Gabbidon are still out.

Chelsea expect strikers Didier Drogba and Andriy Shevchenko to be fit after suffering knocks in the FA Cup semi-final win over Blackburn.

Winger Arjen Robben remains sidelined with a knee injury but he is expected back to full fitness in around 10 days.

West Ham (from): Green, Neill, Collins, Ferdinand, McCartney, Bowyer, Reo-Coker, Noble, Etherington, Harewood, Tevez, Carroll, Walker, Benayoun, Konchesky, Dailly, Cole, Spector, Mullins, Zamora, Boa Morte, Sheringham.

Chelsea (from): Cech, Cudicini, Hilario, Ferreira, Geremi, Diarra, Carvalho, Terry, A Cole, Boulahrouz, J Cole, Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Makelele, Kalou, Obi, Shevchenko, Drogba, Wright-Phillips.

West Ham manager Alan Curbishley on his side's relegation battle:

"When we play the teams in a similar position to ourselves we haven't done enough against them.

"But I hope my players do not think it is all over. If we keep belief in ourselves, it is not."

Chelsea captain John Terry on the title race:

"In the last couple of years we have run away with it a little bit but United have shown great desire to come back and push us.

"We are pushing them right to the wire. We know we are within touching distance of them. One result and it swings back in our favour.

"But the respect is there for them and I think it's a mutual respect."

BIG-MATCH FACTS

WEST HAM UNITED continue the battle for top flight survival with this east versus west London derby against Jose Mourinho's Chelsea, who are still vying for quadruple honours. On the surface this would seem to be a mismatch between the clubs with the weakest and tightest defences in the highest League, between the sides who've recorded the most and the least Premiership defeats so far this season.

The Eastenders were on their best winning run of the season of three matches, when fellow relegation threatened Sheffield United inflicted a 3-0 defeat on them at Bramall Lane on Saturday. Three of their five remaining matches are at home, including this one. But they still have to visit Manchester United on the last day of the season, therefore to secure a third successive campaign at this level remains a very tough ask.

The Hammers are looking to beat Chelsea for the first time since notching a 1-0 victory in this equivalent fixture on 3 May 2003, thanks to the winner from substitute Paolo Di Canio.

CHELSEA return to League business after securing a Champions League semi-final with Liverpool and a date with Manchester United at the new Wembley for the FA Cup final. They visit West Ham bidding for a ninth successive Premiership victory to keep the pressure on the Red Devils at the top.

The defending champions are on the longest winning sequence by any club in the Premierrship this season, and have not dropped a point nor conceded a goal since Liverpool beat them 2-0 at Anfield on 20 January. It is their only reverse in 21 League outings, and in 34 games in all competitions.

A rare goal from Geremi, his first in 13 months, was sufficient for all three points for the Blues from the meeting with West Ham in November at the Bridge. It was their fourth straight victory over the Hammers in League and Cup. Now they're looking to 'double' the Hammers for the second successive season, and third time in the Premiership. If achieved it would be their eighth 'double' of the campaign having already beaten Wigan, Blackburn, Charlton, Portsmouth, Manchester City, Sheffield United and Watford home and away this season, while the Hammers have been 'doubled' five times (Portsmouth, Manchester City, Reading, Liverpool and Tottenham).

REFEREE

Mike Riley (Leeds, Yorkshire)

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

WEST HAM UNITED

Going into the midweek games: 19th 29 points

(all statistics are ahead of the midweek fixtures)

1. Lost more Premiership matches than any other club this season (20).

2. Scored 26 top flight goals - only Watford have netted fewer (24).

3. Kept just six clean sheets in this division. Only Tottenham have managed fewer shut-outs (five).

4. Conceded the opening goal in 69% of their League matches (23 of 33).

5. Failed to score in 17 Premiership matches. Only Manchester City and Watford have also fired that many blanks.

6. Lost more home games than any other club in the top table, with the exception of Wigan - both have lost eight.

7. The four-game run-in after this involves matches against Everton (h), Wigan (a), Bolton (h) and Manchester United (a).

CHELSEA

Going into the midweek games: 2nd 75 points

(all statistics are ahead of the midweek fixtures)

1. Won 16 and drawn three of the last 19 in all competitions, since losing 2-0 at Liverpool on 20 January.

2. Won 15 more Premiership games than West Ham (23 to eight).

3. Won the last eight Premiership matches with clean sheets in all eight and in 10 of the last 11.

4. Not conceded in 792 minutes (13 hours 12 minutes) of Premiership football, since Jermaine Pennant scored Liverpool's second at Anfield on 20 January.

5. Had 81 points after 32 games in 2004-05 and 79 points to the same stage last season, but only 75 this time around.

6. Won 23 times in the top division so far this season - only Manchester United have gained more victories (25).

7. Opened the scoring in more Premiership matches than any other club (26), and failed to score in two, and only Manchester United can match the latter of those two statistics.

8. Kept 20 clean sheets in the Premiership (won 19, drawn one), and conceded the opening goal in only five top flight games - better than any other club on both counts.

9. Lost only one of the last 10 League games on the road (to Liverpool), and won the last four (against Charlton, Portsmouth, Manchester City and Watford), without conceding. Kept more Premiership clean sheets away from home than any other club (10).

10. Visit Newcastle on Sunday, before next Wednesday's home leg of the Champions League semi-final against Liverpool. The remaining League fixtures after that are against Bolton (h), Arsenal (a), Manchester United (h) and Everton (h).

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

WEST HAM UNITED

Bobby ZAMORA is West Ham's leading scorer with 10 goals - all in the Premiership.

Marlon HAREWOOD is a double shy of 100 career League goals (Nottingham Forest, Ipswich and West Ham).

If on the field at kick off, HAREWOOD will be making his 150th start in a West Ham shirt.

Dean ASHTON needs a double to bring his career total of club goals to 100.

If selected in the 11, Matthew ETHERINGTON will be making his 150th start in a West Ham shirt.

If involved, Hayden MULLINS will be making his 150th West Ham appearance.

If on the field from the outset, George McCARTNEY will be making his 150th club career start (Sunderland and West Ham).

If he lines up for the kick-off, Daniel GABBIDON will be making his 50th Premiership start for West Ham.

When next he lines-up for the opening whistle, Teddy SHERINGHAM will be making his 50th start in a West Ham shirt.

If he participates, Matthew UPSON will be playing on his 28th birthday.

Carlton COLE began his professional career with Chelsea, making 31 appearances (25 in the Premiership) and scoring eight goals (four League) for them before his move to Upton Park in July 2006.

CHELSEA

Didier DROGBA is the highest scoring Premiership player this season with 30 goals, 18 of which are League goals. The Ivory Coast International leads Manchester United's Cristiano RONALDO by two at the top of the table for the Barclays Golden Boot award.

Frank LAMPARD is the only remaining player to have started every one of Chelsea's Premiership matches this season.

LAMPARD began his professional career with West Ham, making 187 appearances (148 in the League) and scoring 38 goals (23 League) in six seasons with them, before his £11m move to Stamford Bridge in June 2001.

If he plays, Salomon KALOU will be making his 50th appearance in a Chelsea shirt.

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

West Ham United 1-3 Chelsea

2 January 2006 - Ref: Howard Webb

West Ham scorer: Harewood 46

Chelsea scorers: Lampard 25, Crespo 61, Drogba 80

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Chelsea 1-0 West Ham United

18 November 2006 - Ref: Mike Dean

Chelsea scorer: Geremi 22

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

Home and away

League: West Ham 34 wins, Chelsea 28, Draws 15

Prem: West Ham 9 wins, Chelsea 11, Draws 3

at West Ham only

League: West Ham 22 wins, Chelsea 9, Draws 7

Prem: West Ham 5 wins, Chelsea 4, Draws 2

West Ham 1-4 Chelsea

Chelsea reduced Manchester United's lead at the Premiership summit to three points with an easy win that left West Ham staring relegation in the face.

Shaun Wright-Phillips' solo effort put Chelsea ahead after 30 minutes, but a rare Petr Cech slip allowed Carlos Tevez to level five minutes later.

Wright-Phillips volleyed in to restore Chelsea's lead within seconds.

Salomon Kalou bundled in the third after 53 minutes and Didier Drogba raced clear to wrap up the victory.

It means United's lead is still only three points as Jose Mourinho's side simply refuse to give up on their dogged pursuit of a third successive title.

Chelsea boss Mourinho made five changes from the side that reached the FA Cup final by beating Blackburn - but once again they demonstrated their enormous reserves of character.

The opening 30 minutes were evenly contested, and it took a moment of individual brilliance from Wright-Phillips to break the deadlock.

He had the strength to hold off Yossi Benayoun and the guile to deceive Jonathan Spector before driving a perfect finish across Robert Green.

But West Ham responded with vigour and equalised inside five minutes - courtesy of a rare lapse by Cech.

Tevez's angled shot from 20 yards carried power, but was at a comfortable height for Cech, only for the normally immaculate keeper to allow the ball through his grasp.

West Ham's delight lasted only a matter of seconds before another stunning finish from Wright-Phillips restored Chelsea's lead.

Bridge was the creator with a cross from the left, but it was met with an instinctive right-foot strike at the near post from Wright-Phillips that flashed high past Green.

West Ham had a chance to draw level in the opening moments of the second half, but once Bobby Zamora tamely turned George McCartney's cross into Cech's arms, the destiny of the points was decided.

Chelsea made it three after 52 minutes, when Frank Lampard's free-kick found Drogba, and even though Green blocked his effort on the line, Kalou was on hand to turn in.

Drogba shot inches wide before he made it four after 62 minutes, shaking off Lucas Neill's attentions to beat Green with ease.

SWP was quite magic last night.

I agree Mr B, why couldn't he have played like that from day 1? I suppose team selection and confidence has a big factor to do with it.

Another player that seems to be coming into his own is John Obi Mikel, playing in the Maka roll he is playing beyond his years! I wasn't that impressed when he 1st joined but I'm warming to him now!

No exit thoughts for Robben

Arjen Robben has no intention of leaving Chelsea, according to his agent and father Hans Robben.

The Blues winger has endured a frustrating season at Stamford Bridge, leading him to be linked with moves to Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Robben has made just 16 Premiership starts during the current campaign due to a combination of injuries and loss of form.

But Hans Robben is adamant the Dutch international is not considering leaving Chelsea at the end of the season.

"Arjen is not thinking about leaving Chelsea and there is no clause which allows him to move or makes one easier," he is quoted in Kicker.

"But you never know what happens in football. In the end, it is my son who decides what to do."

However, should Robben's situation change, his father says there would not be a lack of interest in his services.

And Hans Robben believes the former PSV Eindhoven star would be a huge hit in the Bundesliga.

"Bayern Munich is a possibility," he added.

"I think that he is a player for Bayern Munich because he would have a lot of opportunities to play well in German football.

"There are six or seven clubs that would come into question. Bayern is one of them."

No exit thoughts for Robben

Arjen Robben has no intention of leaving Chelsea, according to his agent and father Hans Robben.

The Blues winger has endured a frustrating season at Stamford Bridge, leading him to be linked with moves to Barcelona and Bayern Munich.

Robben has made just 16 Premiership starts during the current campaign due to a combination of injuries and loss of form.

But Hans Robben is adamant the Dutch international is not considering leaving Chelsea at the end of the season.

"Arjen is not thinking about leaving Chelsea and there is no clause which allows him to move or makes one easier," he is quoted in Kicker.

"But you never know what happens in football. In the end, it is my son who decides what to do."

However, should Robben's situation change, his father says there would not be a lack of interest in his services.

And Hans Robben believes the former PSV Eindhoven star would be a huge hit in the Bundesliga.

"Bayern Munich is a possibility," he added.

"I think that he is a player for Bayern Munich because he would have a lot of opportunities to play well in German football.

"There are six or seven clubs that would come into question. Bayern is one of them."

if wright-phillips can play like that all the time robben can go ,he showed his class the other night ,with hargreaves maybe going to man u robben could be the replacement. cole now getting fit robben wont be missed.

I know what your saying Lazeeboy but if I had to choose between Robben on his day or SWP then Robben would get it for me! SWP hasn't done a thing except for this game against the Hammers!.

At the end of the day we need to keep all the players we have, we don't have a big squad as it is and I'm sure we will be getting a few additions in the summer. It will be very interesting to see who we get, I would love to see a world class right back come in! Diarra has been great but he is a midfielder.

Lamps: United's advantage

Frank Lampard believes Chelsea have been forced to play second fiddle in the Premiership title race.

Chelsea closed the gap on leaders Manchester United to three points once more with victory on Lampard's only stamping ground West Ham on Wednesday.

The Blues' relentless charge - they have won 17 of their last 20 matches, drawing the other three - has been impressive but they have not been able to overhaul United at the top.

Lampard is still hopeful of overtaking United but believes The Red Devils have benefited from playing their matches ahead of The Blues, leaving the team from West London to play a game of catch up.

"It has been like that for a while. The only time we played ahead of them was when they lost to Portsmouth," said Lampard.

"We have virtually always been the second team playing and it has been difficult. There is an added pressure when they have won but we have learned to live with that problem.

"We have to keep winning and at this stage of the season it is so close that whether they win, lose or draw, we still have to do our thing and not take too much notice of their results.

"We are trying not to look too much at the points because we know it is tight. We know we have got to play United but we have got to keep winning. The moment we drop points it will become very tough for us."

Kenyon rules out Mourinho sacking

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon has revealed the club have no plans to sack boss Jose Mourinho in the summer.

Speculation over the Portuguese coach's future at Stamford Bridge - and his relationship with owner Roman Abramovich - has been rife all season.

But Kenyon has denied the club have been looking at potential replacements.

"Jose's got a contract until 2010 and we're not going to sack him. He's got the full support of the board, that's really important," he told Chelsea TV.

"We've been linked with something like 14 managers now I think, but we've not got a list and we're not looking."

Mourinho has masterminded back-to-back Premiership titles since arriving at the club from Porto in 2004.

He has also won the League Cup twice, the second coming earlier this season, and is still fighting for silverware on three fronts this term.

However, Mourinho has grown frustrated at the lack of transfer funds made available to him this season, particularly in the January transfer window when he was desperate to bring in some defensive reinforcements.

And the big-money summer arrival Andriy Shevchenko, thought to be a close friend of Abramovich, is also believed to be a bone of contention between owner and coach.

But the pair shared an embrace after the tense FA Cup semi-final victory over Blackburn, in a move interpreted by some as a sign of a thawing in relations between the two.

Some interesting reports in the press today about the thawing in relations between Mourinho and Abramovich.

This from The Independent:

Chelsea's pursuit of glory on four fronts spares Mourinho

It was, pure and simple, a chance meeting. But when Jose Mourinho unavoidably bumped into Roman Abramovich in the narrow white corridors that run between the directors' box and the press lounge at Old Trafford last Sunday there was the first contact between owner and manager of the richest club in the world for quite some time. It was brief and slightly awkward but it was celebratory.

The question remains over its significance. It could be that a dam did indeed burst and that it triggered yesterday's statement from chief executive Peter Kenyon that Mourinho, who has clearly become more conciliatory in recent weeks, was safe in his job. Or it could simply be that the Chelsea hierarchy, given the importance of the games from now until the end of the season, wanted to calm matters down.

One source last night stressed that what will define Mourinho's future is not statements from Kenyon but results on the pitch - and how Abramovich reacts to them. He could, the source said, simply wake up one morning and decide that a change is needed and that Mourinho's antics, which have increasingly irritated the Chelsea owner, remain too tiresome. By receiving Kenyon's backing, Mourinho also has less reason to complain that he has worked under intolerable conditions, or make public pleas that he craves the support of the Chelsea board.

Abramovich probably does now want to keep him. But he will want to do so on his own terms and will not kow-tow to demands or Mourinho's own attempts to seize more control at the club.

Abramovich's relationship with Mourinho is a curious one. The Russian, according to those who know him, hates confrontation. The Portuguese, for most of his life, has thrived on it. Much was made of the meeting at Old Trafford but it was interesting that the day after sources were playing down the significance of the "hug" and also denying that the billionaire had gone into the players' dressing room for the first time since January.

A problem is, of course, that Abramovich says little. He doesn't even speak that much within his own "golden circle". There is a wide network of people around him, some who flit in and out of London. "It's peculiar," one source said. "If Roman no longer needs you or wants you he doesn't say you are out. You just know you are." Mourinho has suffered from the same treatment since the rift between him and Abramovich - or, more specifically, his friends, associates or those who do his bidding - emerged at the turn of the year. In fact, Mourinho's threat to walk out over the perceived lack of support at the club and the interference of others was a familiar tactic. He had said the same two years ago - only for Abramovich to fly in, sort things out and, crucially, award Mourinho an improved £5.2m-a-season contract until 2010.

It made him the highest-paid manager in the world and the best-paid employee at Chelsea which, much to his annoyance following the arrival of Andrei Shevchenko and Michael Ballack, he no longer is.

Back-to-back Premiership titles were fine and Abramovich approved even if, two autumns ago, when Chelsea were toiling to dispose of Anderlecht he sniped to friends that Mourinho should go and get a haircut. That was regarded as a reflection of Abramovich's increasing irritation. After all he had spent unheard of millions and was watching football that was hardly enthralling.

Kenyon had said some time ago that Abramovich wanted to see champagne football, that he dreamed of 5-0 wins with the final goal a volley from the edge of the area. It appeared a flippant comment. The problem was that Abramovich does want that even if, above all, he wants to win. He also likes to listen, and Mourinho has had to endure others being able to get his boss's ear. People such as Frank Arnesen, the chief scout and director of youth development and his ally Piet de Visser and, more recently, the former Israeli coach Avram Grant who is now working at Portsmouth.

According to sources close to Abramovich, a low point was reached during half-time of the FA Cup quarter-final at home to Tottenham Hotspur last month when Chelsea were trailing 3-1. Abramovich scoffed that this was not what was expected from a coach who had set out a philosophy that victories were earned through defence. Indeed some claim, somewhat amazingly, that Abramovich promised to sack Mourinho on the spot if things did not turn around in the second half.

If that was a low point then matters have improved steadily since. Mourinho clearly has taken on board, after threatening to walk, just how close he came to losing his job. Friends say he appears less of an angry figure while he certainly learned a lesson from his remark, before the Champions League tie against Porto, that he didn't care if he lost his job because he would walk away a millionaire. That one got straight back to Abramovich.

Just as significant - if not more so than Mourinho's rapprochement - has been the undeniable fact that he has proved his mettle as a coach. Chelsea have improved, they are playing better football. It may well be that Abramovich will simply now wait and see what Mourinho delivers. Kenyon's statement will soon be forgotten if Chelsea lose out.

Talking the talk; Mourinho's take on a very public relationship

* If he helped me out in training, we would be bottom of the league and if I had to work in his world of big business, we would be bankrupt!

On Roman Abramovich, March 2005

* There are only two ways for me to leave Chelsea. One way is in June 2010 when I finish my contract and if the club doesn't give me a renewal. It is the end of my contract and I'm out. The second way is for Chelsea to sack me. The way of the manager leaving the club, no chance! I will never do this to Chelsea supporters.

After Carling Cup final, February 2007

* If the club decides to sack me because of bad results that is part of the game. If that happens, I will be a millionaire and I will get another club a couple of months later.

March 2007

* [Abramovich] would never do this. If he does this, it's because he doesn't trust the manager. If he doesn't trust the manager, he has enough money to sack me. The day he doesn't respect me, just give me the cheque and send me home."

On Abramovich picking the team, March 2007

* I don't want my name linked with Madrid or with any other club because I want to stay with Chelsea. I've got a contract until 2010 and I want to carry on. If I have to leave for some reason or because someone wants me to ... that's life in soccer. And, if I leave, I want to keep coaching next season at another European club. I like English soccer and I'd like to coach another club in the Premiership but not now. I don't imagine leaving Chelsea and going straight to another English club. It would be a very strange situation and I don't want it to happen.

April 10, 2007

*Nobody told me.

When asked, last week, if his job at Chelsea next season had been assured.

* I have told them I want to stay. I have spoken a lot to Peter Kenyon. Peter Kenyon told me, 'Great, I'm very happy with your decision'. Of course , since the first day.

April 13, 2007

*My contract is here. I have forbidden my agent to speak to other clubs, I don't want my name to be linked with other jobs.

Before last week's FA Cup semi-final

* I have met [Abramovich] and we had a hug. I told him congratulations and he said the same. That is normal.

After last Sunday's semi-final win over Blackburn

Sheva hails 'key man' Mourinho

Andrei Shevchenko has hailed Jose Mourinho as Chelsea's 'key man'.

Mourinho's future at Stamford Bridge has been the subject of great debate, even if The Blues cleared up some of the uncertainty on Friday.

Chelsea chief executive Peter Kenyon insisted his club had no intention of sacking the self-styled 'Special One' and that news will come as music to the ears of Shevchenko.

The Ukrainian believes Chelsea's dream of a remarkable quadruple is testament to the skills of the former Porto boss.

"Mourinho is an excellent coach who can lead us to four trophies in one season. That says everything about him," Shevchenko told MF Dnes.

"He has been successful at every club he has been at, he unites the players, he motivates and teaches them. He is the key man for Chelsea."

Shevchenko has not been exempt from speculation, indeed the striker's involvement was thought at one time to be a bone of political contention between Mourinho and owner Roman Abramovich, a known champion of the former Milan man.

Shevchenko's cause has not been helped by an indifferent first season in English football on the pitch, but the player claims he is unperturbed by the naysayers.

"I can accept criticism if it concerns football but these critics were not concerned with football," said Shevchenko.

"For me, it is my performances that are important, not my mouth. I try to ignore the critics and instead focus on improving my game on the pitch."

Down to the wire I think...:

Newcastle 0-0 Chelsea

Chelsea failed to close the gap on Premiership leaders Manchester United after a goalless draw at Newcastle.

The Blues would have been just one point behind the Reds had they won at Newcastle but never really found their form and created few openings.

Frank Lampard shot over, Salomon Kalou had a tame stab at goal and Joe Cole missed by inches in injury time.

Chelsea keeper Petr Cech made a good save from Kieron Dyer, while Obafemi Martins headed over from a corner.

But in truth it was a poor game - and an especially disappointing performance from Chelsea given the opportunity that was before them.

Jose Mourinho's team rarely looked like taking advantage of United's draw at home to Middlesbrough on Saturday.

Chelsea are three points behind United, who they play on 9 May, but with a vastly inferior goal difference.

There were no clear-cut openings in the first half, though Newcastle played with the greater sense of urgency and did create several half chances.

Kieron Dyer hooked the ball wide under pressure, while a deflected Martins strike missed the target and a promising position for Stephen Carr came to nothing after he cut in from the left.

Chelsea went in to the match with Michael Ballack and Claude Makelele restored to the starting line-up.

But German Ballack limped off after 18 minutes following a heavy challenge from Titus Bramble.

The Blues did have one opening in the first-half, but John Terry headed wide from a Frank Lampard free-kick under pressure from Antoine Sibierski.

Terry cut a frustrated figure as he appealed for a penalty, claming that Sibierski had impeded his run.

Chelsea played with more endeavour and purpose after the break - and soon created an opening, though Lampard drilled the ball over from 10 yards.

Newcastle underlined their attacking threat with two chances in a minute.

Cech smothered Dyer's shot after Nicky Butt had played him in, and from the resultant corner Martins, unmarked, headed over.

Chelsea responded, with Butt clearing up after Kalou guided the ball goalwards following a low drilled cross from substitute Joe Cole.

Mourinho introduced Andrei Shevchenko with 15 minutes remaining and the visiting team - with a great record of scoring late on - pushed forward in search of a decisive goal.

Terry's entanglement with Sibierski continued - and the Chelsea skipper's rant at referee Mark Halsey hinted at his frustration.

Cole deflected a Paulo Ferreira cross narrowly wide in the third minute of stoppage time as Newcastle held on to claim a point and dent Chelsea's title aspirations.

###### and blast!! we missed out big time with that result, didn't play well at all and Newcastle played very well defensively!

Newcastle 0-0 Chelsea

Chelsea failed to close the gap on Premiership leaders Manchester United after a goalless draw at Newcastle.

The Blues would have been just one point behind the Reds had they won at Newcastle but never really found their form and created few openings.

Frank Lampard shot over, Salomon Kalou had a tame stab at goal and Joe Cole missed by inches in injury time.

Chelsea keeper Petr Cech made a good save from Kieron Dyer, while Obafemi Martins headed over from a corner.

Jose Mourinho's team rarely looked like taking advantage of United's draw at home to Middlesbrough on Saturday.

The weekend's results mean Chelsea are three points behind United, who they play on 9 May, but with a vastly inferior goal difference.

There were no clear-cut openings in the first 45 minutes, though Newcastle played with the greater sense of urgency and did create several half chances.

Kieron Dyer hooked the ball wide under pressure, while a deflected Martins strike missed the target and a promising position for Stephen Carr came to nothing after he cut in from the left.

Chelsea went in to the match with Michael Ballack and Claude Makelele restored to the starting line-up.

But German Ballack limped off after 18 minutes following a heavy challenge from Titus Bramble.

The Blues did have one opening in the first-half, but John Terry headed wide from a Frank Lampard free-kick under pressure from Antoine Sibierski.

Terry cut a frustrated figure as he appealed for a penalty, claming that Sibierski had impeded his run.

Chelsea played with more endeavour and purpose after the break - and soon created an opening, though Lampard drilled the ball over from 10 yards.

Newcastle underlined their attacking threat with two chances in a minute.

Cech smothered Dyer's shot after Nicky Butt had played him in, and from the resultant corner Martins, unmarked, headed over.

Chelsea responded, with Butt clearing up after Kalou guided the ball goalwards following a low drilled cross from substitute Joe Cole.

Mourinho introduced Andrei Shevchenko with 15 minutes remaining and the visiting team - with a great record of scoring late on - pushed forward in search of a decisive goal.

Terry's entanglement with Sibierski continued - and the Chelsea skipper's rant at referee Mark Halsey hinted at his growing frustration.

Cole deflected a Paulo Ferreira cross narrowly wide in the third minute of stoppage time as Newcastle held on to claim a point and dent Chelsea's title aspirations.

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder:

"I'm very proud and pleased for them. They have taken a bit of flak recently but they have put on a real performance against the champions.

"I think we played some very good football at times.

"I think that over the full 90 minute a draw was the fair result. I do not think that there was a bad performance from any of my players."

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho:

"It was a chance missed to close the gap - but at the same time we had an away game and Man United had a home game and at the end of it the gap between us is the same."

Newcastle: Harper, Solano, Bramble, Taylor, Carr, Milner, Butt, Dyer, Emre, Sibierski (Carroll 78), Martins.

Subs Not Used: Srnicek, N'Zogbia, Ramage, Babayaro.

Chelsea: Cech, Ferreira, Essien, Terry, Bridge, Wright-Phillips (Joe Cole 55), Makelele (Shevchenko 76), Lampard, Ballack (Mikel 18), Drogba, Kalou.

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Boulahrouz.

Booked: Essien, Mikel, Lampard.

Att: 52,056

Ref: M Halsey (Lancashire).

Archived