Chelsea Fc Thread

Seapok

• Replies 15.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Essien: Hunt not the hunted

Michael Essien insists Reading midfielder Stephen Hunt should not fear a revenge attack at Stamford Bridge on Boxing Day.

Hunt was involved in an incident that left Blues goalkeeper Petr Cech hospitalised the last time the sides met at The Madejski Stadium.

The clash left Jose Mourinho seething, but Essien claims there will be no reprisals.

"Everything that happened in the first game is put to one side, although it is still fresh in our memory," said Essien.

"Two injuries to two keepers in the same game is very rare.

"But he needn't worry about coming here - nothing is going to happen.

"We are not vengeful at Chelsea. If he is afraid, it will only be if he does not have a clear conscience."

Three points against The Royals is a must if Chelsea are to keep Manchester United in check, but Essien is in no doubt that the tables will turn, with the Ghanaian adamant his team will claim the title by at least five points.

"We have a better team this season than last season," added Essien.

"We have progressed and matured a lot and have learned to suffer but come back and that is vital.

"We are much better than Manchester United. The difference in points in the Premiership is just a coincidence.

"It is just a matter of days before we are the leaders...I have done the calculations and we will finish at least five points clear of United at the top of the table."

Drog: I am Player of the Year

Chelsea's Didier Drogba insists he should be voted England's Player of the Year.

The Ivorian ace has sparkled this term and has bagged 17 goals so far for the Premiership champions.

"The voting is not down to me," he said.

"But if I don't win the prize of best player in the Premiership it will be a great let down.

"This is not vanity but reality. I believe that, today, I am the best in the league.

"I am enjoying the best moments I have ever known in all my life. It is curious, but nearly everything is positive for me. It is wonderful.

"The number one in world football? I do not say that, but it is possible."

After scoring the winner in their Carling Cup triumph over Newcastle, Drogba insists Chelsea want to win all four trophies on offer to them this season.

"I warn you: Chelsea look to win all the competitions. We want to sign up for a big piece of history in English football," he told the News of the World.

"Chelsea is the best club in the world and I am only a piece of the team. I believe that no player is indispensable.

"And after my goals at Everton and Newcastle I don't wish to appear like the saviour of Chelsea.

"We are a team and all the players works for the victory. I am a striker and perhaps because of this I am more often in the newspapers.

"The race for the title is only between Manchester United and us.

"And before long The Blues will take over the leadership of the Premiership and United will be finished. At Old Trafford we demonstrated that they are not a force like us.

"The matches this Christmas will be decisive but talk of failure for us is prohibited. The team is very concentrated and united. This is the reason for our big success."

Chelsea 2-2 Reading

Chelsea squandered two priceless Premiership points against Reading.

Didier Drogba headed Chelsea in front from Frank Lampard's corner seven minutes before half-time.

But Reading responded after the break and it was no surprise when Leroy Lita headed a deserved equaliser from Glen Little's cross after 67 minutes.

Drogba's header swiftly restored Chelsea's lead, but Reading levelled after 85 minutes, Ashley Cole's clearance flying in off Michael Essien.

Reading's Stephen Hunt, who was involved in the controversial collision that resulted in a fractured skull for Chelsea keeper Petr Cech earlier this season, was left out of the starting line-up.

Chelsea drafted in Andriy Shevchenko and Wayne Bridge for Arjen Robben and Ashley Cole, with John Terry sidelined again with a back injury.

And the champions dominated the opening 45 minutes, with Drogba inevitably the spearhead.

He played in Frank Lampard after only two minutes but his half-hit shot rolled tamely wide.

And Drogba then forced a fine save from Reading keeper Marcus Hahnemann, who dived at his feet to smother a shot after a clever pass from Shevchenko.

Drogba was denied again after 28 minutes when Hahnemann saved low to his left as he flicked on Lampard's free-kick.

But he was not to be thwarted as Chelsea took the lead.

Drogba outmuscled Hahnemann and Reading defender Ibrahima Sonko to head in Lampard's corner.

Reading opened with a much greater sense of purpose and ambition after the break, with Brynjar Gunnarsson's cross deflecting dangerously across the goal after taking a deflection off Ricardo Carvalho.

Steve Sidwell then gave Chelsea keeper Hilario a scare with a right-foot shot that flew into the side-netting.

A sign of Chelsea's struggles came after 57 minutes when Shevchenko, who had again looked desperately off the pace, was replaced by Wright-Phillips.

Chelsea had been totally subdued since half-time and it was no surprise when Reading drew level after 67 minutes.

Little's cross was inviting from the right-flank and Lita dived forward to head past Hilario with ease.

Mourinho responded with an instant double substitution, sending on Mikel Jon Obi and Ashley Cole for Geremi and Bridge.

And Reading's joy lasted only five minutes before Chelsea were in front again, Drogba heading in Wright-Phillips' cross at the far post.

Reading's most reliable marksman Kevin Doyle then wasted a glorious opportunity to restore equality again, shooting wildly over when unmarked from only eight yards.

Steve Coppell's side deserved much credit in the second period and Gunnarsson was again only inches away with another header.

And they equalised in farcical fashion with five minutes left when Cole's attempt to clear Doyle's cross flew past Hilario off Essien.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho:

"That was a fair result. We did enough to win because we scored two goals and could have scored more.

"I don't think I can complain about the players. For example the game at Wigan was easy but we made it hard for ourselves. Yes, I had reason to be unhappy with them then.

"But today no because Reading made it difficult for us. When the opponents do well and create problems, you can't complain, only praise the opposition.

"They got a point at Stamford Bridge. Of course we want to win every game and we are never happy to draw, but there is no criticism aimed at my players because they did the best they possibly could."

Reading manager Steve Coppell:

"We had a defined gameplan and the players stuck resolutely to that. I think 1-0 down is a precarious position to be in but we really pushed on.

"There was a real determination in the dressing room. The players were very positive and the momentum was with us for the second half.

"Once we got back in I thought we might have gone on to win the game. We had a bit of fortune for the second goal. We are pleased with the point. We haven't played well recently."

Chelsea: Hilario, Geremi (Mikel 70), Ferreira, Carvalho, Bridge (Ashley Cole 70), Kalou, Essien, Ballack, Lampard, Shevchenko (Wright-Phillips 58), Drogba.

Subs Not Used: Hedman, Diarra.

Booked: Ballack.

Goals: Drogba 38, 72.

Reading: Hahnemann, Murty, Ingimarsson, Sonko, Shorey, Little, Sidwell, Harper, Gunnarsson, Doyle, Lita.

Subs Not Used: Federici, Hunt, Oster, Sodje, Ki-Hyeon.

Booked: Lita.

Goals: Lita 67, Essien 85 og.

Att: 41,885.

Ref: A Wiley (Staffordshire).

Mourinho faces defensive concerns

Jose Mourinho says the absence of captain John Terry and keeper Petr Cech has left Chelsea vulnerable in defence.

Terry, who may need back surgery, has missed the last three league games - in which Chelsea conceded six goals - and Cech fractured his skull in October.

"We sold William Gallas and Robert Huth in the summer. We don't have enough cover so at this moment in time we are having problems," said boss Mourinho.

"Normally for Chelsea three consecutive matches would mean three clean sheets."

To lose Petr and John at the same time is a very difficult problem to solve, especially in a squad without more central defenders

Terry missed Chelsea's 3-2 wins at both Everton and Wigan and the 2-2 with Reading on Boxing Day.

He was also sidelined for the Carling Cup victory lover Newcastle.

Mourinho paired Ricardo Carvalho alongside right-back Paulo Ferreira in the centre of defence against Reading.

"For us to win matches right now we need to score three times. Sometimes we'll do it, sometimes we won't," added Mourinho.

"To lose Petr and John at the same time is a very difficult problem to solve, especially in a squad without more central defenders."

In September, German defender Huth moved from Stamford Bridge to Middlesbrough and Gallas joined Arsenal .

Chelsea's first-choice keeper Cech was injured in a collision with Reading's Stephen Hunt in October.

Terry has surgery on back injury

Chelsea and England captain John Terry has undergone successful surgery to cure his troublesome back injury.

But Blues officials have yet to reveal how long they expect the 26-year-old centre-half to be out of action.

"The operation to remove a sequestrated lumbar intervertebral disc was successful," said a Chelsea statement.

Chelsea have conceded six goals in three league matches without Terry and have fallen four points behind Premiership leaders Manchester United.

The early indications are that Terry could return within weeks not months.

But having sold both William Gallas and Robert Huth, manager Jose Mourinho has admitted the continued absence of Terry has left him short of defensive options.

The Blues have already conceded 15 league goals so far this season - only seven fewer than they did over the whole of the last Premiership campaign.

Terry's injury could also hit England, who are due to play Spain at Old Trafford on 7 February.

Cole could face surgery

Chelsea's Joe Cole could face surgery in a bid to save his season after the injury he picked up last month failed to respond to treatment.

The England midfielder suffered a stress fracture of the foot against Manchester United last month and is still wearing a surgical boot to protect his foot.

It was first thought that the Cole would be back in the New Year, but if the player goes under the knife then he could be out for up to two months, possibly longer.

Manager Jose Mourinho is now left with a difficult decision that could make or break Cole's season.

The Chelsea boss told The Sun: "With this injury, sometimes the medical philosophy is for surgery, while some other medical philosophy is to wait for the bone to heal.

"But, at the moment, I don't know how long Joe Cole will be out."

Mourinho also declared his love for old team Porto in a statement proclaiming that Chelsea would not come close to the Portuguese side that won both the UEFA Champions League and Uefa Cup.

"My team is undoubtedly the Porto side that won the Uefa Cup. It was a group of players that went from nothing to the moon," he added.

"The Chelsea of today could be seen as superior because we have the better individual players but, in terms of playing as a team, Porto was second to none.

"That was the team I took more pleasure in building."

Desailly hails boss Terry

Marcel Desailly says Chelsea have lost an on-field manager in injured captain John Terry.

The England captain is likely facing up to a month on the sidelines, as he tries to recover from successful back surgery in France on Thursday.

Terry has already missed Chelsea's last four games with the back problem, and Chelsea legend Desailly feels his absence is a major blow for Jose Mourinho's side.

"I know the influence John has on the team," the former Nantes, Marseille and Milan defender told The Sun.

"Although Didier Drogba has been the difference in many games this season, John is probably the most important player at the club.

"He is the manager on the pitch. He's not afraid to take responsibility because he is the man.

"When the team is in trouble, he is able to lift his level and show the other players the spirit they should have.

"He knows how to correct the team when something goes wrong.

"This might even mean doing the opposite of what Mourinho has told them - but John is not afraid to do that because he's the one who sees the reality on the pitch.

"And he is very important in the dressing room. He is strong and defiant and manages to organise everything. He provides stability for the team."

Desailly thinks Terry has the capabilities of emulating the legendary career of Milan centre-back Paolo Maldini.

"I want John to reach the same level as Paolo, who I played with at AC Milan," added the France World Cup winner.

"He has been at the very top level for 20 years and John is capable of doing the same.

"I cross my fingers that he can get over this injury and go on to become the best defender in the world. I think he can do it.

"He can really be the image of Chelsea, making new players understand the spirit of the club and the story of where it has come from."

Terry fitness boost for Blues

Chelsea captain John Terry has handed the club a massive boost by returning to light training just 24 hours after undergoing back surgery.

Terry underwent surgery on his troublesome back injury on Thursday after missing Chelsea's last four games with the problem.

Chelsea's defence has struggled in Terry's absence conceding six goals in their last three Premiership outings.

The England captain returned to light training on Friday by taking part in some jogging and the injury appears not to be as serious as first feared.

Reports suggested that Terry could be missing for up to six weeks with the injury, but Chelsea club doctor Bryan English has hinted the influential defender could be back in action in under a week.

"The instructions from the surgeon were to run the day after surgery. That is great for us and great for John," English told Chelsea's official website.

"We are not going to do anything with John that is going to cause him problems.

"I am not in the game of pushing him out there because it is for the benefit of Chelsea football club but I also don't want to hold him back unnecessarily.

"When I hear so called experts say that he is going to have a six week recovery - I won't say exactly how long he is going to take to recover - but when people comment

when they don't know his pathology, what he has had done or who he has been working with then I have a bit of a problem with that."

Chelsea 2-2 Fulham

Chelsea lost further ground on leaders Manchester United as Carlos Bocanegra struck a late leveller for Fulham in an entertaining game at Stamford Bridge.

Moriz Volz put the visitors ahead when he stole into the box and lashed in the Premiership's 15,000th goal.

Frank Lampard levelled when his 20-yard drive was deflected into the bottom corner by Fulham's Liam Rosenior.

Didier Drogba headed in Lampard's cross to make it 2-1 but Bocanegra slotted home late on to earn Fulham a point.

It was just desserts for the visitors who had more than played their part in a fascinating encounter in at times torrential weather conditions in west London.

But it all looked so unlikely at the start as Chelsea began brightly.

They could have been 2-0 up inside the first five minutes, Salomon Kalou crossing for Michael Essien to poke wide and then Essien returning the favour only for Kalou to fail to make contact six yards out.

Kalou was causing all sorts of problems down the Chelsea left and Rosenior was struggling to cope with his electric pace and dribbling ability.

Yet without the formidable John Terry, the Blues at present always look likely to concede and against the run of play, they fell behind.

A long throw from the left from Franck Queudrue was missed by every Chelsea player and Volz had time to take a touch and rifle it in from eight yards, via the right leg of Paolo Ferreira.

In an instant Volz wrote his name into the Premiership history books and he will have £15,000 from league sponsors Barclays to donate to a charity of his choice.

Yet it was Chelsea who were in a charitable mood and it should have been 2-0 when Wayne Routledge blazed over from 12 yards after more ponderous defending from the champions.

Fulham could barely believe the freedom they were being allowed, but the Stamford Bridge faithful need not have worried as normal order was soon restored.

A hopeful punt into the box from Claude Makelele was weakly headed away by Rosenior and as Lampard drove it goalwards with interest from 20 yards the ball ricocheted off the Fulham defender and into the net.

If the visitors felt hard done by with the manner of the equaliser they did not show it and they burst out of the blocks in the second half.

McBride was foiled by a Hilario save and the American then crossed for Collins John who was inches away from making contact.

But as the heavens opened, Chelsea found that extra piece of quality they needed to go in front.

Ashley Cole's long cross was not properly cleared and Lampard turned neatly on the left-hand edge of the six-yard box to cross for Drogba to comfortably head home.

To coin a cliche, the rain was continuing to prove a real leveller and Fulham to their credit always looked capable of getting back on level terms.

Their perseverance was rewarded six minutes from time when Ballack failed to clear Queudrue's cross, Hilario saved McBride's effort with his right foot and Bocanegra was on hand to slot in.

The point keeps Fulham 12th, but more importantly Chelsea go into the new year six points behind United at the top.

Yet another draw, another 2 points dropped, terrible defence, crap keeper and no organisation!!

What the hel_l is going on with this Chelsea team, are we just going to implode and hand the Manc's our title?

They say 1 player doesn't make a team, I agree with that, it takes 2!! Cech and Terry have been a massive loss to us this season.

Thank god for Drogba being in such fine form, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't even be in the top 4, come on boys get it together and sort it out!!! :o

dont worry seapok, essien has done the calculations,,and as mourinio says you have already won the game against us in april, and as drogba said his goal at everton was the one that won you the title,and he has already made himself player of the year, i think ronaldo will have a say in that stement.

you are missing gallas.

30million pounds for shevchenko,what a waste.

do you think you guys will spend big to shore up you defence?

dont worry seapok, essien has done the calculations,,and as mourinio says you have already won the game against us in april, and as drogba said his goal at everton was the one that won you the title,and he has already made himself player of the year, i think ronaldo will have a say in that stement.

you are missing gallas.

30million pounds for shevchenko,what a waste.

do you think you guys will spend big to shore up you defence?

I know there are still many points to gain so I'm not going to give up just yet, Man U can't carry on playing at this level to the end, soon as they get a few injuries things will change as you don't have a big squad, just like us! We haven't played well all season so we have to get it going sooner or later.

Sheva has lost all of his confidence and you can never really judge a player on their 1st season in a different league, you have to admit the man is a quality player, just give him time.

JT is supposed to be back next week but it looks like we will be paying big for Micah Richards, we need a good right back but he is also very versatile, the same as Gallas.

Cole blow deepens Chelsea gloom

Chelsea midfielder Joe Cole may miss the rest of the season through injury.

The England international, 25, last played as a substitute in the 1-1 draw at Manchester United on 26 November.

He was sidelined with what was then termed as a minor stress fracture of his foot but has since been advised by a club doctor to undergo surgery.

The player has yet to make up his mind but Blues boss Jose Mourinho revealed: "Joe Cole, I think is an injury forever - or at least for the season."

Pain in his foot following the Old Trafford match stopped Cole from taking part in training and bruising was discovered.

"He has a stress fracture and has to make a decision about surgery or no surgery. I don't know his decision but time flies," added Mourinho.

"He has an opinion from our doctor, which is surgery, but we are waiting for the player to make his decision."

Cole has made only three starts and eight substitute appearances this season.

The champions go into 2007 six points behind Premiership leaders Manchester United and also have captain John Terry, winger Arjen Robben and goalkeepers Petr Cech and Carlo Cudicini nursing injuries.

Mourinho hits out at Chelsea form

Boss Jose Mourinho has made a scathing assessment of Chelsea after the draw with Fulham left them six points behind Premiership leaders Manchester United.

On Saturday the Blues were held to a second 2-2 draw at home in a week after a Boxing Day point against Reading and Mourinho said: "This is not a surprise.

"In this moment Chelsea cannot defend. I am the first to know that.

"Maybe we are not as good as we think, maybe I am not such a good boss, maybe the players are not such good players."

The result meant Chelsea slipped further behind United in the race for the title and Mourinho publicly named several players as his side's weak links in recent weeks.

I need the best goalkeeper and the best central defender in the world back

"What can you do with Michael Ballack, with Paulo Ferreira, with Geremi? Nothing," he said. "The players have no qualities adapting to the game opponents are playing against us.

"Furthermore, Andriy Shevchenko, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Solomon Kalou are just not performing. Didier Drogba is the only one doing his best at the moment.

"When the opponent sees one mistake and another mistake they smell the chance. It's exactly the opposite of previous periods with us."

And Mourinho admitted he may ask owner Roman Abramovich to spend more money in the January transfer window in a bid to catch up with United, although he would prefer to have number one keeper Petr Cech and skipper John Terry back from injury.

"If the club ask for my opinion I would say yes to new players but at the same time, when I see the eyes of some clubs and they want incredible money for very ordinary players, I would say no," he said.

"In fact I need to spend nothing. It is difficult but I hope that John Terry and Petr Cech are back soon. I don't need millions next month, I need the best goalkeeper and the best central defender in the world back."

Terry hopes to return to action in January following a back operation, while Cech is also on course for a comeback early in 2007 after fracturing his skull in a collision with Reading's Stephen Hunt in mid-October.

Mourinho refuses to panic

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hinted that he could make forays into the January transfer market, but only if the price is right.

Injuries to key defensive duo Petr Cech and John Terry have seen Chelsea struggle of late to keep clean sheets and again at the weekend, Fulham managed to breach their rearguard twice.

A makeshift back four has looked unlikely to keep Chelsea in sight of in-form Manchester United, with a six-point gap developing between the pair following the weekend results.

Despite having Roman Abramovich's millions at his disposal, Mourinho is adamant that he will not be held to ransom over transfer fees or make panic buys in the New Year.

"If the club asks for my opinion, I would say `yes' to new players but at the same time, when I see the eyes of some clubs and they want incredible money for very ordinary players, I would say `no'," said Mourinho.

"A normal player is a normal player. You cannot pay a fortune, so if it is like that, we go with the players we have.

"It is difficult but I hope that John Terry and Petr Cech are back soon. I don't need millions next month, I need the best goalkeeper and the best central defender in the world back."

Essien issues rallying call

Michael Essien insists the mood in Chelsea's camp remains upbeat despite the champions having fallen six points behind leaders Manchester United.

While Sir Alex Ferguson's side helped themselves to a three-point haul against Reading at the weekend, Chelsea faltered at Stamford Bridge and had to settle for a 2-2 stalemate against West London neighbours Fulham.

The title pendulum appears to have swung in the direction of United but Essien is confident Chelsea can claw back any deficit and recover to claim a third successive title.

Essien, along with Didier Drogba, has perhaps been Chelsea's most consistent performer this season and the midfield powerhouse is ready to lead from the front, of the opinion that should Chelsea claim the title this season, then it will be their greatest achievement.

"Winning the league this season will be our greatest moment, greatest because I am told only four teams have ever managed three league titles in a row in the entire history of English football," he told the News of the World.

"It will be our greatest because of all the problems, the setbacks and challenges we've had to overcome this season.

"Not only have Manchester United presented a real challenge but we have suffered so many difficulties along the way.

"But I remain confident that we can turn it around and be champions once again."

Willing to concede United are performing at the peak of their powers at present, Essien accepts that the title could go to the wire, a prospect he is clearly not afraid of.

"Look at our squad - we definitely have the players who can do the job," he added.

"And if we have to go the full distance in a head-to-head with Manchester United to win the Premier League then we are ready to do that.

"Sure Manchester United are playing some good football. It's free-flowing and they are scoring goals.

"But that doesn't mean they'll go on and win the title."

Aston Villa v Chelsea

Villa Park

Tuesday, 2 January

Kick-off: 2000 GMT

Coverage on the BBC Sport website, BBC Radio Five Live, and highlights on MOTD

Aston Villa captain Gareth Barry is suspended having been shown a straight red card for bringing down Dennis Rommedahl at Charlton.

Stiliyan Petrov was replaced by Isaiah Osbourne in the second half at The Valley and could miss out following his problems with a hamstring injury.

Chelsea have defender Khalid Boulahrouz back after he missed Saturday's 2-2 draw with Fulham through suspension.

Michael Ballack is banned and Arjen Robben still has a hamstring problem.

Villa (from): Kiraly, Hughes, Mellberg, Cahill, Gardner, Petrov, McCann, Davis, Baros, Agbonlahor, Ridgewell, Bouma, Osbourne, Angel, Olejnik, Whittingham, Samuel, Djemba-Djemba.

Chelsea (from): Hilario, Hedman, Geremi, Carvalho, Ferreira, Boulahrouz, Bridge, A Cole, Essien, Lampard, Diarra, Makelele, Drogba, Shevchenko, Kalou, Wright-Phillips, Mikel.

BIG-MATCH FACTS

ASTON VILLA will run out hoping to follow in the footsteps of Reading and Fulham in this festive period, in taking points off title chasing Chelsea. But Martin O'Neill is going through his toughest time in the managerial position at Villa Park. The Midlanders have not won in 10 since their triumph at Everton on 11 November, and have lost the last four.

Manchester City, Bolton and Manchester United have all taken away maximum points from Villa Park in the Villans' last three home games. They've not enjoyed a victory in four on home soil, since defeating Blackburn 2-0 on Guy Fawkes Day.

Villa are aiming to extend their undefeated home Premiership sequence against Chelsea to eight games, having won two and drawn five of the last seven. They've not lost a home League game to the Blues since March 1999. Luke Moore rescued a point with a late equaliser in last season's equivalent fixture.

CHELSEA go to Villa Park with their sights set on closing the gap to four points between themselves and Manchester United at the summit. Playing catch-up is a new phenomenon to Jose Mourinho in two and a half years in charge at Stamford Bridge. The champions may be undefeated in 10 Premiership matches, but they've dropped four points out of six and this is clearly the greatest test yet to the managerial credentials of the Portuguese.

The champions are hoping to add the scalp of Aston Villa to those of Bolton, Everton and Wigan claimed in their last three matches on the road. They've not lost in four away League games since the 2-1 reverse at Tottenham on Guy Fawkes Day. It was only their second away defeat of this Premiership season.

The Blues are looking for a 50th competitive victory over Villa. They've already thrashed the Midlanders 4-0 in the Carling Cup this season, but were held to a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge in September. Gabriel Agbonlahor netted just before half time to cancel out Didier Drogba's 2nd minute opener. The Londoners are unbeaten in five Premier League contests against the Claret and Blues.

REFEREE

Phil Dowd (Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire)

Premiership referees' table

Phil Dowd's 2006-07 Premiership card count

SEQUENCES/RECENT FORM

ASTON VILLA

Club stats

Fixtures

Current position: 14th 25 points

Highest achievable: 11th

Lowest could fall: 14th

CHELSEA

Club stats

Fixtures

Current position: 2nd 47 points

Highest achievable: 2nd

Lowest could fall: 2nd

KEY PLAYER NOTES/POTENTIAL MILESTONES

ASTON VILLA

Squad profiles

Gareth BARRY is Villa's top scorer, with nine goals - eight in the Premiership.

Gabriel AGBONLAHOR is the only remaining player to have been on the field for every minute of every one of Villa's Premiership fixtures.

When he next keeps goal, Thomas SORENSEN will be making his 250th career Premiership appearance (Sunderland and Aston Villa).

If he plays, Aaron HUGHES will be making his 50th Premiership appearance in a Villa shirt.

If he participates, Steven DAVIS will be playing the day after turning 22.

CHELSEA

Squad profiles

Didier DROGBA is the highest scoring Premiership player this season with 20 goals, 13 of which are League goals putting him one clear of Manchester United's Cristiano RONALDO at the top of the table for the Barclays Golden Boot award.

Only Michael ESSIEN has figured in every minute of every one of Chelsea's League and Cup matches this season.

LAST SEASON'S CORRESPONDING GAME

Aston Villa 1-1 Chelsea

1 February 2006 - Ref: Rob Styles

Villa scorer: Moore 77

Chelsea scorer: Robben 14

THIS SEASON'S REVERSE FIXTURE

Chelsea 1-1 Aston Villa

30 September 2006 - Ref: Graham Poll

Chelsea scorer: Drogba 3

Villa scorer: Agbonlahor 45

HEAD TO HEAD TOTALS

Home and away

League: Villa 47 wins, Chelsea 44, Draws 28

Prem: Villa 8 wins, Chelsea 13, Draws 8

at Villa only

League: Villa 29 wins, Chelsea 13, Draws 17

Prem: Villa 4 wins, Chelsea 5, Draws 5

Lamps: Third title would be best

Frank Lampard feels winning the Premiership this season would eclipse Chelsea's previous two titles.

Chelsea have coasted to the last two championship crowns, but are embroiled in a fierce battle with Manchester United in their attempt for a hat-trick.

The holders currently trail United by seven points, although victory over Aston Villa on Tuesday, live on Sky Sports 1, would reduce the deficit to four points.

And with questions being raised about Chelsea's ability to win three titles in a row, Lampard believes extra kudos would be attached to this season's triumph.

"The Champions League is obviously something massive for us, but Man Utd are the only team to win three on the spin since I've been around," Lampard told Chelsea TV.

"To match that would be great. Once you're in the situation, you realise how hard it is over a three-year period to keep your standards that high.

"We'll have to push ourselves and do it.

"Hopefully, if everything goes to plan and we do win again, it would be even more enjoyable.

"The first one is always a great memory for me, and the second also.

"But if we go and win it now, when they're trying to doubt you more than they've doubted you at this stage, then that will be great."

Aston Villa 0-0 Chelsea

Chelsea failed to break down Aston Villa to leave the champions six points behind leaders Manchester United.

The visitors dominated the first half and should have been well ahead by the interval, but both Didier Drogba and Ashley Cole missed gilt-edged chances.

Drogba miscued with a volley, while Cole headed straight at Gabor Kiraly.

Outclassed in that opening period, Villa provided a sterner test for Chelsea after the break and Liam Ridgewell went close with a header.

Chelsea had drawn their previous two league games, allowing leaders Manchester United to move seven points clear ahead of Tuesday's game with Villa.

And this was another stuttering performance as Chelsea struggled to replicate the high standards they have set themselves over the previous two seasons.

In the absence of John Terry, Chelsea's defensive problems have been well documented and the visitors suffered another blow in that department when Khalid Boulahrouz limped off with a knee injury in the opening half.

But it was Chelsea's attack rather their defence that let them down in an opening half that saw the visitors fail to convert a host of chances from the surfeit of possession they enjoyed.

In scoring 13 league goals this season Drogba has probably been Chelsea's most effective player, but even the Ivory Coast forward seemed to be affected by the Blues' mid-winter malaise.

Drogba should have put Chelsea ahead inside the opening 10 minutes, but his volley went into the ground and over the bar after Michael Essien crossed from the right.

That flank proved a productive avenue for the visitors with Drogba soon swinging over a cross for Salomon Kalou, who was unable to get a clean header on the ball due to the diligence of Olof Mellberg.

Essien was soon marauding his way down the right wing again, but when the cross came over Drogba uncharacteristically miskicked.

Cole was the next Chelsea player to miss, sending his header directly at Kiraly.

Just before the first half ended, Frank Lampard's surging run brought him to the edge of the Villa box, but he failed to spot Claude Makelele, who was free on the right, and the attack broke down.

Midway through the second half Andriy Shevchenko came on for Shaun Wright-Phillips as Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho opted to provide extra support for Drogba.

But the Ukraine striker proved as peripheral a figure as he has for most of this season and he rarely touched the ball.

Villa had barely an attack worthy of mention in the first-half, but as the game wore on the home side began to threaten from set-pieces and Ridgewell went close with a header from a corner.

In the closing stages Chelsea launched one final onslaught, but Lampard put the ball over the bar from close range, while Drogba headed over.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill:

to against a side like Chelsea.

"We had to try to match them as much as we possibly could and I have nothing but praise for the players.

"They worked tirelessly and stuck it right to the end. We have played better and lost games."

"Six points at the end of this disgraceful period is not bad.

"We're leaving with a lot of hopes for the second part of the season.

"I think they answered my criticism. We got the point but more important was the attitude of the team. We are alive."

Aston Villa: Kiraly, Mellberg, Cahill, Ridgewell, Bouma, Gardner (Osbourne 27), McCann, Petrov, Davis (Baros 75), Agbonlahor, Angel.

Subs Not Used: Olejnik, Samuel, Hughes.

Booked: McCann.

Chelsea: Hilario, Ferreira, Boulahrouz (Geremi 33), Carvalho, Ashley Cole, Essien, Makelele, Lampard, Wright-Phillips (Shevchenko 66), Drogba, Kalou (Mikel 75).

Subs Not Used: Hedman, Bridge.

Booked: Drogba, Carvalho, Ashley Cole.

Att: 41,006.

Ref: P Dowd (Staffordshire).

Terry set to return against Wigan

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho expects John Terry to be fit to play against Wigan in the league on 13 January.

Chelsea captain Terry, 26, underwent a successful operation just last Thursday to cure his troublesome back injury.

"This will be the last Premiership game Terry will miss," said Mourinho, ahead of Tuesday's game with Aston Villa.

The England defender is reportedly set to play in a behind-closed-doors friendly later this week as he continues his recovery.

Mourinho added: "Robben is the same and Petr Cech I think after Wigan will be back too, so the situation is improving for us."

Terry will also be aiming to be fully fit ahead of England's clash against Spain at Old Trafford on 7 February.

He has not played since going down with the calf problem that ruled him out of the 3-2 victory at Everton on 17 December.

Chelsea have conceded eight goals in four league matches without Terry and are seven points behind Premiership leaders Manchester United, but have a chance to close the gap at Aston Villa on Tuesday evening.

Mourinho taunts Man Utd over lead

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho claims Manchester United have wasted a chance to open up an unassailable lead in the Premiership title race.

United hold a six-point Premiership advantage after Chelsea's goalless draw at Aston Villa.

He said: "Considering the problems Chelsea have had, Manchester United should be 10, 12, 14 points clear of us. I am happy to be six points behind.

"In my opinion, Manchester United did not take advantage of our bad moments."

Mourinho is also preparing to welcome back John Terry, Arjen Robben and Peter Cech from injury.

Skipper Terry has been pencilled in for the next league game with Wigan at Stamford Bridge on 13 January, with Robben and Cech set to be available for the trip to Liverpool the following week.

Mourinho said: "Six points is nothing. In previous seasons, we have gone 11, 12 points clear and killed things off by Christmas.

"They (Manchester United) didn't take their opportunity on Monday when they drew at Newcastle.

"Manchester United have dropped five points at West Ham and Newcastle recently and the gap could have been bigger.

"Now we look forward to the second half of the season when we should have some people back pretty quickly.

"John Terry should be available for the next Premiership game with Wigan and Petr Cech and Arjen Robben for the game after that at Liverpool."

It was not all good news for Mourinho, with defender Khalid Boulahrouz suffering suspected medial ligament damage at Villa Park which the Blues boss reckons will sideline him "for four to six weeks".

And centre-back Ricardo Carvalho is now suspended from the Carling Cup semi-final first leg with Wycombe after picking up his fifth booking of the campaign.

Mourinho fumes at transfer prices

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho has hit out at the inflated transfer prices the champions are being asked to pay.

Short of central defenders, Mourinho is expected to sign a centre-back during the January transfer window.

But Mourinho insisted he would rather play his 55-year-old assistant Baltemar Brito - a former defender - than pay over the odds for a centre-back.

"Just because of the smell that Chelsea needs a central defender, it has people thinking we are stupid," said Mourinho.

The Chelsea manager added: "With the reality of the English market I prefer to play with Brito than pay the crazy money.

"I would love an Aston Martin but if you ask me for £1m for an Aston Martin, I tell you, you are crazy because they cost £250,000."

Chelsea have been linked with a move with Manchester City's England defender Micah Richards, though Mourinho insisted the champions have yet to speak to any club.

Cech ready to return for Blues

By Vasek Kadlec -Sky- Created on 10 Jan 2007

Chelsea keeper Petr Cech has revealed that he is fully fit and ready to return to first team action.

The Czech shot-stopper has been sidelined since fracturing his skull against Reading in October, but he is now close to making a return

He has confirmed that he is only awaiting the green-light from Chelsea's medical team before making himself available for selection to Jose Mourinho.

"I have to say I am feeling physically 100 per cent ready," he told his own website.

"After they give me the green light for a return it will only depend on how well I feel and when I will be ready for the first game."

Mourinho will be desperate to have Cech back in his starting line-up given their current run of form - which has seen them fall six points behind Manchester United.

Cech feels Chelsea have missed captain John Terry in recent weeks.

"It is a pity that we concede goals mainly from set-pieces," he said.

"It is clear that we miss John Terry and his height. Moreover, we have been a bit unlucky most recently. The ball always bounces to an opponents legs."

Cech also believes the Premiership title race is still wide open.

"The gap is not small but there is still a lot to play and nothing is decided yet," he added.

redrus

Cech ready to return for Blues

By Vasek Kadlec -Sky- Created on 10 Jan 2007

Chelsea keeper Petr Cech has revealed that he is fully fit and ready to return to first team action.

The Czech shot-stopper has been sidelined since fracturing his skull against Reading in October, but he is now close to making a return

He has confirmed that he is only awaiting the green-light from Chelsea's medical team before making himself available for selection to Jose Mourinho.

"I have to say I am feeling physically 100 per cent ready," he told his own website.

"After they give me the green light for a return it will only depend on how well I feel and when I will be ready for the first game."

Mourinho will be desperate to have Cech back in his starting line-up given their current run of form - which has seen them fall six points behind Manchester United.

Cech feels Chelsea have missed captain John Terry in recent weeks.

"It is a pity that we concede goals mainly from set-pieces," he said.

"It is clear that we miss John Terry and his height. Moreover, we have been a bit unlucky most recently. The ball always bounces to an opponents legs."

Cech also believes the Premiership title race is still wide open.

"The gap is not small but there is still a lot to play and nothing is decided yet," he added.

redrus

Thanks for updating Chelsea news Redrus while I'm in Los enjoying myself with my newly wed wife, I will be back next week to continue with the updates.

Any Blue boys or girls out there feel free to add any news or statements in my absence.

Chelsea 4-0 Wigan

Arjen Robben produced a fine display to help ensure Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho ended a tumultuous week with a win.

Despite a host of rumours surrounding Mourinho's predicted exit, the Blues saw off a poor Wigan side with ease.

Frank Lampard's free-kick drifted in for the first before Robben made it two from Kristofer Haestad's back-pass.

Chris Kirkland then put the Dutchman's cross into his own net, before Didier Drogba's header sealed the victory to make it six straight defeats for Wigan.

From the outset there was little doubt where the Stamford Bridge faithful's loyalties lay and, as choruses dedicated to Mourinho rang out across west London, it quickly became clear that the Chelsea players were keen to make their own statement about his future.

A return to a 4-3-3 formation helped, as did the form of Robben who lit up the match with jinking runs, clever passes and intelligent movement.

But, after three successive draws in the league and one in the Carling Cup to Wycombe, the Blues still needed a huge slice of luck to open the scoring.

Lampard's tame 35-yard free-kick from wide on the left was allowed to drift between defence and keeper and into the far corner, though replays suggested Kirkland in goal may have been distracted by Fitz Hall's clear foul on Drogba six yards out.

Thereafter, Chelsea assumed complete control, with Robben pulling the strings and Lampard and Michael Ballack attacking from deep at every opportunity.

However, while Salomon Kalou twice wasted decent openings behind the Wigan defence, it took until the 32nd minute for the hosts to force a clear opening, Kirkland doing well to keep out Lampard's firm low drive at his near post.

Such was Chelsea's dominance, it took until the last minute of the half for Wigan to trouble the Blues' defence, Ricardo Carvalho deflecting Lee McCulloch's shot over from six yards.

There was little change to the pattern of the game in the second half, with the Latics virtual strangers to the ball.

And it was not long before the Londoners grabbed a deserved second, man-of-the-match Robben dashing onto Haestad's dire back-pass, rounding Kirkland and slotting home.

The champions were rampant and, seconds after Kirkland had done well to deny Robben's curled effort, the keeper then put into his own net on the dive from the Dutchman's cross to make it 3-0.

Wigan, on the worst run under Paul Jewell, were bereft of confidence and imagination and the Blues could even afford tame finishes from Drogba and Ballack late on.

Josip Skoko did go close with a 25-yard strike late on for Wigan, but then Drogba wrapped up the victory with a powerful header from John Obi Mikel's cross.

The win saw Chelsea end their worst winless run under Mourinho and remain six points behind leaders Manchester United, while Wigan are once again looking over their shoulder as they slip to just three points above the drop zone.

"It was a very good result for us. We pushed the defence up, scored a few goals, played with a good spirit and dominated the game.

"After a run of three league games without a win it is nice to get one. It has been a dark period in that we haven't won, but a light one because we haven't lost despite all our problems.

"We have missed our special players recently. You saw the way Robben played today - imagine if we had been able to call upon him over Christmas, a lot of the results might have been different."

Wigan boss Paul Jewell:

"I thought at half-time that if we could just nick a goal - even though we didn't look like doing so - we might get something from the game.

"But their second goal was an absolute disaster and it really broke us. In fact, the first three goals were avoidable and you can't give away soft goals at this level and get away with it.

"We have 16 matches left and, yes, it is going to be a battle to stay in this division. I think we need five or six victories and that's what we are aiming for."

Chelsea: Hilario, Ferreira (Geremi 86), Carvalho, Essien, Bridge, Ballack, Makelele, Lampard, Drogba, Kalou (Mikel 82), Robben (Sahar 82).

Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Wright-Phillips.

Booked: Drogba.

Goals: Lampard 13, Robben 63, Kirkland 70 og, Drogba 90.

Wigan: Kirkland, Boyce, Hall, Unsworth, Baines, Cotterill (Taylor 66), Skoko, Haestad (Landzaat 73), Kilbane, Heskey (Johansson 77), McCulloch.

Subs Not Used: Filan, Cywka.

Booked: McCulloch, Cotterill, Haestad.

Att: 40,846

Ref: M Atkinson (W Yorkshire).

Terry will fight to keep Mourinho

Chelsea captain John Terry says he is prepared to lead a players' protest to persuade the club's hierarchy to keep boss Jose Mourinho at Stamford Bridge.

Mourinho has been widely linked with a move away from the Premiership champions at the end of the season.

"We don't want Jose to go and if it takes five or six of the senior players to tell them so, then that's what we're prepared to do," said Terry.

"We are all loyal to Jose but this is putting pressure on everyone."

Mourinho is in his third season with Chelsea and has led the club to two Premiership titles during his tenure.

But he is rumoured to be unhappy with the Blues board over a lack of transfer funds in January to add to his injury-hit squad and has been linked with Real Madrid and Inter Milan.

After Saturday's emphatic 4-0 win over Wigan, Mourinho refused to confirm if he would see out the rest of his Chelsea contract, which ties him to the club until 2010.

He said: "I am still young for a manager but I am very old in football. I will be 44 next week, so I've lived in football for 44 years.

"I've seen so many things in football, since I was a kid. In football you cannot be 100% categorical about some issues.

"When I say the club is more important than me - the future of the club is more important.

"My future is not important in this context and in this moment everyone in the club should think about the club and not himself."

But Mourinho did deny reports that there had been attempts to remove Steve Clarke as his number two - and said that if such a decision was made then the club would have to take him away from his role as well.

Mourinho insisted: "I can say that it is not true. One thing is for sure that it is not true.

"The second thing I can say is that, although it is completely untrue, if the club try to do that - they would have to do me and him together because without him I would not work in this club.

"The club has respect for Steve and they know how good an assistant he is and they know how important he is for our work. It is complete nonsense. The people around me are together."

However, England captain Terry, who is currently sidelined with back and calf injuries, is confident that Mourinho will stay at Chelsea.

"Jose is the best in the business, there's no doubt about that, and I am sure he will be for the next 20 years," said Terry.

"That's what we want at Chelsea, the best and only the best.

"I am convinced he will stay. I think he will be here next season, I really do."

Chelsea striker Didier Drogba has also expressed his desire for the self-styled 'Special One' to remain in London.

"Losing him will be extremely painful, it's not easy losing a good friend," the striker told The Sun.

"I don't know if it will happen but if it's true it is very sad. Stories keep cropping up but hopefully he'll stay."

Drogba says the Chelsea players are desperate for Mourinho to stay with the club and lead them to even greater heights.

The Ivorian added: "Jose has built a culture that has become Chelsea's.

"We're in love with his style of coaching and the confidence he has infused into the team.

"I just hope people give us and the boss a break about this talk because it's not good for the team."

Mourinho has also found unlikely support from some of his rival Premiership bosses, who are keen for the maverick Portuguese coach to remain in England.

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson said: "I would be disappointed if he was leaving.

"I have enjoyed his company in the times we meet after the game and things like that.

"He has a good personality and I enjoy the competition against him."

Fulham boss Chris Coleman added: "You will only see how big a loss Jose is after he has gone.

"He has won back-to-back titles, won the Carling Cup, reached the semi-finals of the Champions League.

"That is why any successor has to be better. If they do not better that, it is a backward step for Chelsea."

Newcastle boss Glenn Roeder said it would be a "great loss to the Premiership" if Mourinho left.

Roeder continued: "I am sure the big one he wants is the Champions League, that is probably the only one that would really, really satisfy Jose Mourinho.

"He has worked hard to get into the position he is in and he is fortunate to have a squad of players lots of other managers would die for."

Informer jibes anger Shevchenko

Chelsea striker Andriy Shevchenko is furious at reports that he has become an unsettling influence at the club.

The 30-year-old striker is seen as the cause of a conflict between manager Jose Mourinho and the club's hierarchy.

He has been accused of being the dressing-room 'spy' of owner and friend Roman Abramovich but has strongly denied the accusations.

"I am being made a scapegoat for things that have nothing to do with me," Shevchenko told The Times.

He added: "My contract runs for four years. I am here now and I am staying here. I am continuing to work to fit inside the team.

"I have been attacked from all sides but I intend to carry on. I will grit my teeth. I am not a quitter I just want to be kept out of the politics."

It is no secret that Abramovich wanted Shevchenko and the Ukraine star moved to Chelsea in a £30m summer deal from AC Milan.

But he has struggled to fit into Mourinho's plans and reports suggest that new striking arrivals have been blocked with Abramovich keen for his manager to get the best out of Shevchenko.

Chelsea have yet to make any signings in the January transfer window, even though they have lost key players and fallen six points behind Manchester United in the Premiership title race.

Shevchenko's form - he has just three Premiership goals in 20 top-flight outings - has been a source of concern with his relationship with Abramovich resulting in accusations of him reporting back about team affairs to the Russian.

"Those rumours are all lies," said Shevchenko, who insisted he will only now speak on his personal website or club santioned news conferences. "A lot of things have been said which aren't true.

"They have caused a lot of hurt to myself and my family. I am a footballer, not a politician.

"My job is to play, that's all. It is what I've been doing since I was nine years old. People are crossing the limits in what they are saying."

Shevchenko has not been involved in Chelsea's last two games because of a hamstring injury, which has been called into question in some quarters.

He is fit ahead of the game at Liverpool on Saturday but, with Mourinho unhappy at his contribution, his inclusion at best is set to see him earn a place on the bench.

"If he decides I am not capable I just have to work harder," said Shevchenko. "It doesn't matter what I think."

Mourinho demands Chelsea backing

Jose Mourinho says he is happy to see out his contract as Chelsea manager - so long as he receives "real support" from the club's hierarchy.

There has been speculation Mourinho could leave the club this summer.

"It's important for a manager to know the club wants him and likes him and supports him," Mourinho told BBC Sport.

"If that support is real - real support and complete respect for your job in the club - I will be very happy to see my contract go until the end."

Mourinho is contracted to Chelsea until 2010, but there have been reports that a rift with owner Roman Abramovich will force him out of the club.

"To be supportive is not just about giving you money to spend on players - being supportive is much more than that," Mourinho said.

"I would say that the money is the last part of the support you need.

"If the club is supportive of me, it means it's supportive of my team, because my team is completely with me.

"I don't change my mind in relation of the love I have for Chelsea, the Premiership and the football country.

"The family is happy here. My kids are in a moment of their lives where a change year after year isn't good for them."

Chelsea chief Peter Kenyon moved to deny reports of a rift between Mourinho and Abramovich.

"The board and the owner fully support Jose and Jose is fully on board in looking to achieve more success on the field," Kenyon told BBC Sport.

"There's not a lot I can do about speculation. We are very confident that both the manager and the board are together on how we make Chelsea even more successful.

"He's got a contract to 2010 and wants to finish what we started when we brought him in. That was a long-term plan for Chelsea being successful on the field.

"There's no crisis at Chelsea. How many clubs would like to be six points away from the leader of the Premiership at this time, halfway through the season?

But he admitted Mourinho would not be given "extensive" funds during the January transfer window.

The Portuguese boss is believed to have been keen to sign a central defender and striker during the January transfer window, with Milan Baros, Jermain Defoe, Jorge Andrade and Tal Ben Haim all linked with a move to Stamford Bridge.

"Jose's fully involved in the players we bring in or move out," Kenyon said.

"We've talked to a couple of clubs over a couple of players. There's nothing done yet.

"If we do, we will not be spending extensive amounts of money (and will) only be bringing someone in who is of use longer-term than the next two and a half, three months.

"We're not going for a big success and then a bust. We're not in it for this season, we're in it for a lot longer than that.

"The investments that have been made right across the piece are to support Chelsea being successful over many years to come."

And Kenyon said Mourinho could have to field young home-grown players in the first team.

"We've invested heavily in the squad but, equally, we've invested heavily in our youth and training facilities," he said.

"Part of our overall plan - and it's always been part of our plan - is that we started to generate talent that could end up in the first-team squad.

"That is... a key component of Chelsea becoming profitable.

"We weren't looking, and aren't looking, to regularly play a number of 16- and 17-year-olds that clearly are not right for that first-team squad yet.

"But it is going to happen during the course of the season and we have to accept that and if there wasn't a window today we wouldn't be talking about bringing players in."

Cech brushes off health risk fear

Chelsea goalkeeper Petr Cech insists he is not putting his health in danger by returning to the game after suffering serious head injuries.

Cech, 24, suffered a fractured skull in a clash with Reading's Stephen Hunt but may be back at Liverpool wearing a headguard after resuming training.

He said: "I know I am not risking my life by playing again, and that is the main thing.

"I must not think too much - other people are more afraid than I am."

Cech added: "I have never felt as strong, physically and mentally, as I do now.

"I played my first game in training last Tuesday. I didn't think about my injury at all. I dived in at the strikers' feet, and it was no problem."

The Czech Republic keeper admitted he was disappointed Hunt had not spoken to him since their controversial collision in Chelsea's 1-0 win at Reading three months ago.

He said: "I was disappointed to see Stephen Hunt talked a lot about me in the press, while he never called me. That wasn't so difficult to do.

"He didn't write to me. In October, I had a letter of apology from Reading Football Club, with his signature on it - nothing more.

"I was disappointed, but I told myself it must be difficult for him also to live with it.

"I don't know if he did it on purpose - and I am not interested in knowing."

Archived