The Euro 2016 Thread

Chicog

marco reus out of the germany squad. shame that, hell of a player.

missing his third big tournament due to injury (2012, 2014, 2016). what a tragedy for this guy

Maybe he just likes long summer holidays.

Who wouldn't?

I mean let's face it Nasri ain't getting picked because it's Ramadhan.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

missing his third big tournament due to injury (2012, 2014, 2016). what a tragedy for this guy

Who wouldn't?

well, and because he isn't really that good. and is apparently a bit of a dick in a squad environment. and of course because as cantona pointed out, deschamps is a massive racist.

Who wouldn't?

well, and because he isn't really that good. and is apparently a bit of a dick in a squad environment. and of course because as cantona pointed out, deschamps is a massive racist.

And because he often gets mysteriously "injured" just prior to Ramadhan.

Shocked...plain shocked.

Out Of ALL the players in the squad, he DESERVED to be part of this tournament. Not only because he is a great player, but he missed last World Cup on an injury he got during the last test game before the the start of the World Cup. THAT already makes me feel sad for him....and now this.

I hope he will psychologically recover from missing 3 major tournaments due to injury.

Shocked...plain shocked.

Out Of ALL the players in the squad, he DESERVED to be part of this tournament. Not only because he is a great player, but;) he missed last World Cup on an injury he got during the last test game before the the start of the World Cup. THAT already makes me feel sad for him....and now this.

I hope he will psychologically recover from missing 3 major tournaments due to injury.

Scotland have missed 8 tournaments and we're still going strong.

I recommend a few jellies and a case of lager.

I see that Payet from West Ham scored a cracker of a goal to clinch the game for the French.

Could be another one to watch in this years Euros he's looked rather tasty for West Ham,I wonder if they will keep hold of him,sure to be a lot of interest in him sooner than later.

I see that Payet from West Ham scored a cracker of a goal to clinch the game for the French.

Could be another one to watch in this years Euros he's looked rather tasty for West Ham,I wonder if they will keep hold of him,sure to be a lot of interest in him sooner than later.

Leyton Orient are preparing a bid! :D

bbc and itv have announced their punditry teams. not much to get excited about to be honest. one day the bbc will realise what an irredeemable tit robbie savage is and quite how depressed lawrenson makes viewers.

ITV: Bilic, Matthaus, Hoddle, Wright, Dixon, Crouch, Pulis, Petit, Karembeu, Saha, Whiteside, Aluko and Dunne.

BBC: Lehmann, Kompany, Keown, Jenas, Murphy, Savage, Hartson, Saunders, Brunt, Lennon, Armstrong, Lawrenson and Kilbane.

bbc and itv have announced their punditry teams. not much to get excited about to be honest. one day the bbc will realise what an irredeemable tit robbie savage is and quite how depressed lawrenson makes viewers.

ITV: Bilic, Matthaus, Hoddle, Wright, Dixon, Crouch, Pulis, Petit, Karembeu, Saha, Whiteside, Aluko and Dunne.

BBC: Lehmann, Kompany, Keown, Jenas, Murphy, Savage, Hartson, Saunders, Brunt, Lennon, Armstrong, Lawrenson and Kilbane.

Did Hodgson choose both teams?

no goalkeeper in the ITV lineup. schoolboy oversight.

spain have announced their squad and players as good as isco and saul can't get in it.

Goalkeepers: Iker Casillas, De Gea and Sergio Rico.
Defenders: Juanfran, Bellerín, San José, Piqué, Ramos, Bartra, Azpilicueta and Jordi Alba.
Midfielders: Lucas Vázquez, Bruno Soriano, Silva, Cesc, Koke, Busquets, Iniesta, Pedro and Thiago
Strikers: Morata, Aduriz and Nolito.

I think Jenas has been quite good on the occasion i've listened to him.

think it depends really. if he plays a midfield 3 and closes down like they did against germany in the friendly, they could actually be effective. in the last world cup the clown hodgson went in with 4-2-3-1 with gerrard and henderson in the 2, a formation that none of the players was used to playing. and predictably, they got overrun.

england have got goals and pace in the attack, so keep things tight behind that and they could beat teams. the big elephant in the room though is the requirement to crowbar rooney into the side and that affects the whole XI.

Would you not play Rooney?

If so who would you play in the midfield? and <deleted> dont say Henderson.

Rooneys performance in the cup final in a deeper role changed the game Uniteds way... we need players that can make things happen and he is probably still as good as we have with his experience and he can score goals...and he is the captain like.

To not play him is ridiculous!

Shameful decision by Woy to not include Leicester City's Drinkwater after they ran away with the Premier League,also Sturridge and Jack Wheelchair will be injured getting off the team bus or checking into the hotel.Just proves yet again players are picked on reputation and not form,I predict an early bath with Scotland throwing street parties upon England's departure!

Can we agree now that England will be murdered at first sight of a half decent side.

We all know it. Don't make me come back and make any dissenters embarrassed in the coming weeks, because I will, just for fun.

Wait for the newspaper's inevitable "Hand us the trophy now" headlines after the first match though!

Rooneys performance in the cup final in a deeper role changed the game Uniteds way... we need players that can make things happen and he is probably still as good as we have with his experience and he can score goals...and he is the captain like.

it's far from ridiculous. and making an ageing rooney captain was a stupid move because a] he's not a captain and b] it puts pressure on the manager to force him into the team.

england have looked best when pressing with a high tempo game like spurs used this season. rooney's not up to that physcially.

so who starts depends on what formation you're playing really and where your width is supposed to come from. but i'd definitely go three in midfield with dier holding and probably milner and alli ahead of him. then perhaps a front three full of pace and movement of kane, sterling and vardy. that's quite a narrow side though so you need width to come from your fullbacks.

and rooney deeper in the cup final is justification for him being a must-start? against a tired, defensive crystal palace? ok.

I think Jenas has been quite good on the occasion i've listened to him.

I quite like Jenas too, don't mind Lee Dixon.

There's also a few others who I understand when they speak.

A few big mouths on there too.

it's far from ridiculous. and making an ageing rooney captain was a stupid move because a] he's not a captain and b] it puts pressure on the manager to force him into the team.

england have looked best when pressing with a high tempo game like spurs used this season. rooney's not up to that physcially.

so who starts depends on what formation you're playing really and where your width is supposed to come from. but i'd definitely go three in midfield with dier holding and probably milner and alli ahead of him. then perhaps a front three full of pace and movement of kane, sterling and vardy. that's quite a narrow side though so you need width to come from your fullbacks.

and rooney deeper in the cup final is justification for him being a must-start? against a tired, defensive crystal palace? ok.

Ageing lol!!

He's not a captain lol!

Add Rooney to your vendetta list with Woy laugh.png

Ageing lol!!

He's not a captain lol!

Add Rooney to your vendetta list with Woy laugh.png

If we are playing to our strengths within the selected squad then theres no start for Rooney imho.

(And Drinkwater for example, whilst being unlucky to not be selected, works extremely well in the Leicester set up but i'm not so sure he'd be nearly so effective out it it.)

When Spurs press so high its crucial to have a back three in place when the fullbacks advance upfield and this is something Dier does so well. Throughout the game the rest of the midfield sets about a press, then possibly a counter press to retrieve possession then retreat back to the middle bloc. Its relentless and you need exceptionally fit players who ideally play this way week in week out. Hodgson has watched Spurs more than any other side last season. All that remains is whether he has the tactical acumen to create a vision of how to best use the players available. Actually he hasn't!

Can you see Rooney being able to put in the required yardage? I can't. I see him running around in circles chasing shadows, getting frustrated, huffing and puffing chasing guys that are five years younger and fitter. but of course he'll get picked for none other reason than he's wayne Rooney.

^^ and that he's scored 17 or is it 18 in his last 31 games for England.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

And how many of those goals were scored against pub teams?

Check out his record at the world cup and euros.....its rather different playing the likes of Spain, Germany than say, the Faroe Islands

^^England are not Spurs pal and the 4 players who will be playing possibly still need to prove themselves also against the best teams in Europe it is not all about Rooney .....but to talk about him not being able to fit into any system with his experience is just bowlacks in fact his best position now is as a central midfielder as he does get about the pitch when playing there.....plus we need some experience in the side from someone who has been there and done it before...... goals an all.

I would be more worried about both full back positions because that is where our weakness is as a team and teams will go for that against us.

And Carmine International teams are not pub teams anymore wink.png

^^ and that he's scored 17 or is it 18 in his last 31 games for England.

And how many of those goals were scored against pub teams?

Check out his record at the world cup and euros.....its rather different playing the likes of Spain, Germany than say, the Faroe Islands

Would you expect anything different? He can only score against the opponents put in front of him and 18 in 31 emphaticaly says he does Every striker/team and recordsbuilt taking advantage of weaker teams and players i suspect if you look at nearly EVERY striker current and in the past you'd find the same. Can't remember arguably Englands greatest certainly mins per goals, greaves getting many in tournaments, and he didn't have the ducking burden of &lt;deleted&gt; dropping him into midfeild, not saying that he won't in time drop back but for this tournament UPFRONT is where he's earned to be, exactly how,, that's a conundrum for Roy, but given the players we've got not such a bad one and if rooney ain't performing given the competition Im sure his arsenal :P will be on the bench if he don't deliver.

Archived