You need ID ,for posting letters Etc at Post Office.

worgeordie

All this can be avoided by having ones Thai wife post items. Easy !

not so. Thais have to show ID too.

Correct, Thai 's sending parcels overseas need to show their ID cards.

Thais sending parcels within Thailand have to show ID. wife just returned from the P.O. 2.5 kg package to Songkhla, ID required.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Posted 2 letters at main post office,near train station,had to show ID,used pinkID which they

put into a small scanning device,don't know how long this is going to last,as things change

from day to day, U-turns are popular,but better to take some form of ID,as it could turn out

a wasted journey,

regards worgeordie

• 1 month later...

Posted a parcel to U.K. last week from Kamtien post office,

nothing asked for and the ID card readers had been removed,

so it looks like the experiment has failed and things are back

to normal ?

regards Worgeordie

• 2 months later...

Last week, Bangkok:

Nana Post Office: notice pinned to counter insisting on passport showing for sending all parcels and letters, never knew anything about this ridiculous requirement before I saw that. Fortunately, because it's very rare, I was carrying my passport.

Sukhumvit Soi 38/36 post office:  no notice on the counter but was asked for passport to send a very thin envelope. Had my passport on me just in case, but tried showing my driving licence first. Fine!

Last week, Bangkok:

Nana Post Office: notice pinned to counter insisting on passport showing for sending all parcels and letters, never knew anything about this ridiculous requirement before I saw that. Fortunately, because it's very rare, I was carrying my passport.

Sukhumvit Soi 38/36 post office:  no notice on the counter but was asked for passport to send a very thin envelope. Had my passport on me just in case, but tried showing my driving licence first. Fine!

re

Nana Post Office: notice pinned to counter insisting on passport showing for sending all parcels and letters,

here s a sign about it in wat prah singh post office in chiang mai

two weeks ago when i sent two registered letters to england and was

asked for no id !

the rules may have chaned since then but im now in saigon :)

dave2

thai post id card sign 5 sept 16 20160905_114014.jpg

So what's it all about ......really ?

My guess : A couple of years ago the government announced that it was aware that e commerce was booming in Thailand and that they would take measures to promote it further.

One of their first measures was to announce that anyone who sold things on the internet on a regular basis was to declare their income for tax purposes. Failure to register your online business or earnings would result in a hefty fine if caught.

Response from Thai online sellers ......... Predictably, this edict was ignored.

It seems to me that by having to produce some ID every time you post something is going to result in a lot of online sellers getting nabbed and fined resulting in more people complying with the law and an increase in tax revenue. Make no mistake we are talking big bucks here.

Well I normally buy just the stamps at the post office and send letters at a later time, I just put them in one of the red letter boxes placed outside in the soi.  I guess I will continue doing that after this news.  

60bf15d66cfd0723bc0eefb742bd5a94.jpg

At my post office in western Bangkok they use to require ID to mail most anything....they even had Thai ID reading machines at the counter....then for about a month those machines went away and even when mailing stuff Thais would have their ID ready to present but the postal clerk wouldn't ask for it....or at least I didn't see any clerk ask for ID while I waited in queue for about 10 minutes.  Then about a month ago it changed back to the Thai ID reading machines back in use and postal clerks asking for IDs (passport OK) for most anything mailed.   The next time I mail something I try out my new pink ID card issued by my district office since I have a Yellow Book....will not carry along my passport.

Archived