Kangaroo Breeding

Maizefarmer

Some bright sprak has raised @kangaroos@ as a subject in the General Topics section !!!

Other than the obvious fencing requirements and the fact that the Aussies short of been willing to export them for free for any takers (so keen to get rid of them they would be!) ..... er, is there any value in them?

Meat? eadilble is it, comparable to what? - fancy a "roo fried rice" ?

Can they be farmed for meat or is it a no brainer?

Can just imagine an abbatoir setup for slaughtering kangaroos in Thailand!!!!! - the media would be all over it for a story (ie. you would n't have to spend much launching the product).

Nope - there are no resitrictions on importing them.

Tim

Some bright sprak has raised @kangaroos@ as a subject in the General Topics section !!!

Other than the obvious fencing requirements and the fact that the Aussies short of been willing to export them for free for any takers (so keen to get rid of them they would be!) ..... er, is there any value in them?

Meat? eadilble is it, comparable to what? - fancy a "roo fried rice" ?

Can they be farmed for meat or is it a no brainer?

Can just imagine an abbatoir setup for slaughtering kangaroos in Thailand!!!!! - the media would be all over it for a story (ie. you would n't have to spend much launching the product).

Nope - there are no resitrictions on importing them.

Tim

you cant farm them and you dont need an abbatoir just put bigger crash bars on your car or pickup :o by the way our village (Toorbul)is famous for its grey roos,who are every where, if it is green they eat it, but one consolation we have the best baited crabpots in queensland :D Nignoy

They are used for both human consumption and for pet meat.

I must admit that I did not like the meat that much, much better around.

The skins are used for wallets and bags and probably other stuff.

The nutt sack makes a great little coin change bag, or perhaps a bettle nut bag here.

The tail makes roo tail stew, but last time i made this it was shocking. this may have had something to do with 3 pissed blokes on a pig hunting trip that just realised 3 days into it, that nobody had yet touched the toilet roll paper.

Their forearms and claws make a good back scratcher.

And if all else fails you could make a st room nearby for lost Kiwis.

The meat is excellent so long as you don't overcook it (it's kind of like a lean, fine-grained version of beef, I prefer it and eat it as a substitute in Australia). Unfortunately there isn't a big market for it, and the price is fairly low (it is also cheaper than beef in Oz), so not a lot of value there.

And you can *forget* trying to fence them in.

Suppose you lot eat Koalas as well..............on the old Barbie I bet...covered in onions... :o
Sadly you cant eat Koala,s the flesh stinks, the most stupid animal in the world,bit like a yorkshireman really only time it is a wake is when it is eating or chasing females the other 22 hours a day it is a sleep :D:D Nignoy

• 1 month later...

Kangaroo is excellent meat but it is virtually fat free. We used to make sausages and hamburgers (bounce burgers) but it was essential to add a fair quantity of sheep fat, maybe as much as 20%.

The best roos are young does and kangaroo tail soup is excellent. You need a license to shoot them in Victoria but we backed onto a National Park so we had plenty to choose from and a license for 50 or so was very easy to obtain. It was necessary to have a license if you wanted to have the skins processed.

I used to get dirty looks on the tram if I wore my kangaroo skin coat my Mum made me....

Suppose you lot eat Koalas as well..............on the old Barbie I bet...covered in onions... :o

Sadly you cant eat Koala,s the flesh stinks, the most stupid animal in the world,bit like a yorkshireman really only time it is a wake is when it is eating or chasing females the other 22 hours a day it is a sleep :D:D Nignoy

So yorkie is a koala

So yorkie is a koala

Dont be Silly< Yorky a Koala :D Koalas dont Drink!!! :D Nignoy