Grab Bike and Uber MOTO motorcycle taxi services ordered to stop operations

webfact

Grab Bike and Uber MOTO motorcycle taxi services ordered to stop operations

28_Grab-Bike-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Grab Bike and Uber MOTO motorcycle taxi service providers have been told to stop their operations otherwise they will face legal actions.

Representatives of the two companies were invited to the Land Transport Department today (Tuesday) for a meeting with Mr Nanthapong Cherdcho, deputy director-general of the department and representatives from the first army division, Metropolitan Police Bureau and Pathumwan municipal police to be informed of the regulations governing motorcycle taxi services.

Mr Nanthapong said that the two companies were warned before to stop their operations but it was discovered that the warning was ignored and the illegal services continue unabated with the two companies announcing openings for new motorbike riders and publicizing their services in the social media.

He said Grab Bike and Uber MOTO services are unfair to the traditional motorcycle taxi services which are governed by rules laid down by the National Council for Peace and Order. The two providers may be considered as criminal influential figures for illegally operating public transport services, he added.

He explained that motorcycle taxi drivers must have a special license, a vest, an ID card and their vehicles must be registered for use in public transport services.

He disclosed that a crackdown would be launched against the illegal motorcycle taxi drivers who, when caught, will be fined 2,000 baht for illegall providing services to others, 1,000 baht for not dressing properly and another 1,000 baht for not having a special license.

Mr Nanthapong then urged members of the public not to use the services of the illegal motorcycle taxi drivers.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/163638

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-18

No Really, Govt Tells GrabBike and UberMoto, What You’re Doing is Illegal
By Sasiwan Mokkhasen
Staff Reporter

14634812211463481245l.jpg
GrabBike taxi operators in a promotional image posted Feb. 3. Photo: Grab / Facebook

BANGKOK — Two alternative motorcycle taxi services were summoned by authorities Tuesday and told to get off the road for a second time.

After ignoring a March order to cease operations, representatives of GrabBike and UberMoto were called in again by transportation officials who told them they present unfair competition to traditional motorcycle taxis, who have faced stricter regulation under military rule.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1463481221&typecate=06&section=

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2016-05-18

Why not give them the chance to get that special driverslicense (which allows one to drive against traffic) and the vest?

If they obey all the rules they deserve a fair chance on the market.

I think the likes of Uber are far better especially in places like Melbourne Australia. They are cheaper, more reliable, clean and the drivers speak English. I would never get into a filthy taxi in Melbourne the stench and odour is overpowering and you can't communicate with the driver because they don't speak English. Uber is the way to go world wide.

Funny how they just discovered that their cease to continue operations order was ignored and that they will now start to crackdown on them. Why aren't they cracking down on those other supposedly legal vested drivers that scam and con every foreigners with jacked rates in Bangkok. They can't even enforce their own preferred drivers yet here they want to crackdown on others for competing.

This is reminiscent of the thinking behind the idea a few months ago to strongarm the cheap flight carriers into raising their prices because the poor old deathtrap crap wagon buses couldn't compete. Shagwitted thinking at it's best I want to say, but that's not true, it's all financially motivated and I dislike that even more than plain old fuzzy Thai logic.

He who pays the piper calls the tune.

As every/any innovation which will improve services products or peoples lives is stymied because of the corrupt links between vested interests and the regulators , so this country will fall further and further behind...

I think the likes of Uber are far better especially in places like Melbourne Australia. They are cheaper, more reliable, clean and the drivers speak English. I would never get into a filthy taxi in Melbourne the stench and odour is overpowering and you can't communicate with the driver because they don't speak English. Uber is the way to go world wide.

What an absolute load of dribble.

I have ridden in Melbourne taxis hundreds of times and never once experienced what you describe.

The drivers are usually Indian but do speak English and have GPS to guide them if they need it.

The taxis are always late models and clean.

Their ID is prominently displayed, they have security cameras fitted and are in constant communication with their base.

i have no idea why you wrote that.

He disclosed that a crackdown would be launched against the illegal motorcycle taxi drivers who, when caught, will be fined 2,000 baht for illegall providing services to others, 1,000 baht for not dressing properly and another 1,000 baht for not having a special license.

Strewth, one would get less of a rap for running their merc into a horde of innocents!

Generational divide becoming apparent here.

Difference between the Melbourne and Bangkok Uber example here is that ultimately all the marginalised motos taxis in BKK will get uberfied and adjust, whereas that cultural transition cannot happen in Melbourne taxis because of economic commitment that uber jeopardises.

Uber is ultimately inflationary in any event simply because it has found market position and must pay itself.

Depends, mate caught uber, well booked one, turned up wrong time, he ended up catching a normal taxi to airport in Sydney, he's wife said uber driver was rude, and english was very vague !!

Why not give them the chance to get that special driverslicense (which allows one to drive against traffic) and the vest?

You are indicating competition and since when does Thailand like competition? Answer................never

You are indicating competition and since when does Thailand like competition? Answer................never

That form of corruption has never been addressed. The power to issue licenses, and the returns it entails...

All the nice comments about Uber aside, they are aggressively trying to get a big market share. Hence their pricing is reasonable and their service is outstanding.

The minute that Uber has a major market share established, this will all change, of course. This is just an investment phase to try to control the market. I agree with Thai government on this.

Like in China where they gave drivers generous commissions and hand outs first to lure them in and later stopped that and charged drivers for a percentage, it is called economics.

Can somebody explain why Grab motorcycles are banned? Is it not the same system as with Grab taxi where licensed taxis are used? In other words why Grab taxi is allowed and Grab motorcycles not?

All the nice comments about Uber aside, they are aggressively trying to get a big market share. Hence their pricing is reasonable and their service is outstanding.

The minute that Uber has a major market share established, this will all change, of course. This is just an investment phase to try to control the market. I agree with Thai government on this.

Like in China where they gave drivers generous commissions and hand outs first to lure them in and later stopped that and charged drivers for a percentage, it is called economics.

Let it be.

If that happens, then they leave the door open for GOOBER taxi services to do the same thing to them.

Fair competition is a good thing, market disruption is a good things and consumers will decide who wins in the end.

If we just let one group have the market to themselves then we fail to progress and service deteriorates.

Let UBER put taxi Drivers out of a job. They are generally hopeless.

I love walking past the orange taxi gang and walking 600 metres to the subway. Starting using ubermoto for complete journey 3.5 km for 30 baht , orange jackets charge 70 baht for same trip. They wont be getting any business even by stopping any competition!

Can somebody explain why Grab motorcycles are banned? Is it not the same system as with Grab taxi where licensed taxis are used? In other words why Grab taxi is allowed and Grab motorcycles not?

I believe that's the very heart of this article. Grab "Taxi" operates using properly licensed taxis (the orange, pink ones) while Grab "Bike" uses unlicensed riders (no proper vest with ID as per NCPO rules issued).

All the negative comments..

Thailand is protecting it's sovereignty, and staying with tradition while protecting those drivers already licensed.

Guests in a country have no right to complain and all it does is make Thai citizens angry especially the Immigration Officers who decides who gets a visa and a visa extension.

Be careful what you post. Everything is monitored today worldwide. In some countries posters get arrested, and incarcerated with no trial for any length of time. If you don't believe it Google Cuba Dave in Costa Rica. It appears he may be getting a life sentence.

Depends, mate caught uber, well booked one, turned up wrong time, he ended up catching a normal taxi to airport in Sydney, he's wife said uber driver was rude, and english was very vague. (quote)

I just returned from Perth, where the majority of my family live, and they all swear by uber, and never ever use a regular taxi.... Whereas I did, having no uber account, and I couldn't complain about the ride, or the Somalian driver and his dash mounted navigator

That said, I believe that one of their (uber) successes is security for passengers, given the amount of dodgy mongrels posturing as taxi drivers, in years past, but nowadays (in Perth anyway) the taxis are fitted with so many cameras, inside and out, that a driver breaking any code of conduct rules, would be instantly recognized and busted.

This leads me to think that the best scenario is to encourage uber, and the like, which may force the normal taxis to up their game, which would be a very good thing

As to the guts of this article... <deleted>... Unadulterated rubbish... To suggest that normal Thai bike taxis are any good is nuts, as they doodle along on clapped out death traps at thirty clicks, which is their max speed (going thirty is not the problem... Unable to go faster, in need, is ), in faded out, ill fitting vests etc, all of which fail miserably to compete with the professionalism of the uber operation... (My experience... Others may differ, as in the two uber accounts above).... Ergo, it's not about user safety... It's all about money money money

Let it be.

If that happens, then they leave the door open for GOOBER taxi services to do the same thing to them.

Fair competition is a good thing, market disruption is a good things and consumers will decide who wins in the end.

If we just let one group have the market to themselves then we fail to progress and service deteriorates.

Let UBER put taxi Drivers out of a job. They are generally hopeless.

In the County court, Melbourne Australia today 18 May at 11.30 a.m UBER won thier appeal to operate. The taxi directorate was ordered to pay all costs. This is a good thing as they provide a far better service and the taxi industry will have to clean up its act dramatically. Cleaning thier vehicles, taking a shower, learning English, dropping the rude arrogant attitude and charging a reasonable fare will be a start. Thais should go down the same path but with the taxi mafia the courts may get stacked against them.

Archived