"north american" google nexus 5X in Thailand?

chubby

I'm looking at a new Nexus 5X but for project Fi, it has to be a 'north american' version. I'm wondering if anyone has one of these phones in Bangkok, and are using it, with or without any issues, say on DTAC ? or is there a recommended mobile carrier

Sorry if this is a repeat question , I like to hear 1st hand what you all know

the Nexus 5x says it has these specs:

Network
GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900MHz
UMTS/WCDMA: B1/2/4/5/8
CDMA: BC0/1/10
LTE (FDD): B1/2/3/4/5/7/12/13/17/20/25/26/29
LTE (TDD): B41
LTE CA DL: B2-B2, B2-B4, B2-B5, B2-B12, B2-B13, B2-B17, B2-B29, B4-B4, B4-B5, B4-B7, B4-B12, B4-B13, B4-B17, B4-B29, B41-B41
LTE Cat

s your device ready for Project Fi?

Only the following devices are supported: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, and Nexus 6. Additionally, only the North America models of those devices will work: LGH790, H1511, and XT1103, respectively.

I have a 5X purchased via project FI and it works great with a DTAC sim card. Very high mobile internet speeds.

Also have a nexus 6P that I use with the project FI sim card. Mobile data is slow because of the throttling from Google but text and voice work fine with the US number.

All of the Project Fi-compatible phones (Nexus 6, 6p, and 5x) in their U.S. versions, will work fine here, with a local SIM. The only band missing would be LTE/Band 8 (900 MHz) and that's not really a big deal.

May I ask what the advantages of utilizing Project Fi are, if you live in Thailand?

You can get a free Google Voice (or Talkatone) 10 digit telephone number, for free outbound and in-bound calls with the U.S.

Actually, Looking at the rates, I probably would just stick a DTAC SIM in the Nexus 5x, because, seems to me, no one in Thailand does SMS anymore, it's all LINE and FB. As though, it would be free for me to SMS them, it would not usually be free for them to SMS to my International Project Fi number. or even for that matter a local Thai Mobile number. Which is why I guess everyone flocks to LINE for even phone calls now.

But, till June, getting a Nexus 5X for $200 + 1 month of service $20 , seems to be a saving of about $130

And since I hardly do much Data, being home a lot , I like the $20/month price point for 4G here in the US, where I am now, though, I spend 3-6 months in Thailand / year

Now, if you guys could just talk me into why I need/want a 5X when I have a perfectly good Nexus 5 , beside the Project Fi aspect , would be great.

Maybe I keep the Nexus 5 as a backup, mobile phones being such an important tool nowadays ?

like you bubba, why do you have both the 6P and the 5x?

All of the Project Fi-compatible phones (Nexus 6, 6p, and 5x) in their U.S. versions, will work fine here, with a local SIM. The only band missing would be LTE/Band 8 (900 MHz) and that's not really a big deal.

May I ask what the advantages of utilizing Project Fi are, if you live in Thailand?

You can get a free Google Voice (or Talkatone) 10 digit telephone number, for free outbound and in-bound calls with the U.S.

You should probably review the terms of the 5x/Project Fi deal. I thought it ended on May 8? And I think you'd need to subscribe to at least a month of the $20 (voice/text) + $10 (data) services?

And that's for a 16 GB unit.

The best thing about Project Fi is that they are a simultaneous MVNO for both T-Mo and Sprint, so if you are in the U.S. you are assured of coverage. Some of the international roaming features are interesting, as is the seamless nature of their connectivity integration into apps.

That said, I'd still go with T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs (Simple or Straightalk) as it is cheaper, assuming you are happy with the coverage.

If your N5 is working why get another? I use both my N5 and N6; and I still use T-Mo (pre-paid) on trips back to the U.S. and it roams here in Thailand (on AIS for me} when I need it. Some people really love the N5x; reviewers have been a bit harsh (2 GB RAM, crappy camera). Once it hits clearance prices I may buy one?

If you want to communicate with folks in Thailand just use LINE, which works fine for voice, text and even video.

they extended the deal till June, yes it is $200 or $150 off the list price, but the $10 data, is only if used, so it ends up being $20 for 1 month, or $130 off a new Nexus 5x , $200 seems like a great deal for a up to date Google phone, unlocked , which probably all I want to use because of the OS rollouts....

My Nexus 5 is few years old, now

But, I'm sure your right on the Tmobile, and DTAC being just fine.

Was hoping you were going to talk me into it smile.png not out of it

I seemed to be getting by with only 13GB Nexus 5 OK , though battery life is not good

Must admit, I don't understand the MVNO aspect to mobile phones

You should probably review the terms of the 5x/Project Fi deal. I thought it ended on May 8? And I think you'd need to subscribe to at least a month of the $20 (voice/text) + $10 (data) services?
And that's for a 16 GB unit.
The best thing about Project Fi is that they are a simultaneous MVNO for both T-Mo and Sprint, so if you are in the U.S. you are assured of coverage. Some of the international roaming features are interesting, as is the seamless nature of their connectivity integration into apps.
That said, I'd still go with T-Mobile or one of their MVNOs (Simple or Straightalk) as it is cheaper, assuming you are happy with the coverage.
If your N5 is working why get another? I use both my N5 and N6; and I still use T-Mo (pre-paid) on trips back to the U.S. and it roams here in Thailand (on AIS for me} when I need it. Some people really love the N5x; reviewers have been a bit harsh (2 GB RAM, crappy camera). Once it hits clearance prices I may buy one?
If you want to communicate with folks in Thailand just use LINE, which works fine for voice, text and even video.

I seemed to be getting by with only 13GB Nexus 5 OK , though battery life is not good

I replaced the battery (LG BL-T9) in my N5 - it was relatively easy, and inexpensive - and that really improved my battery life.

Project Fi, for $20/month (you say you don't really need mobile data in the U.S.), given you can ride on T-Mo or Sprint, with unlimited voice and text (text/SMS is still big in the U.S. as it is essentially free) is a good deal, assuming you live there all year.

T-Mo has a good PAYG plan for $40 ($42.50 with tax) which gives unlimited voice, text and 3 GB of LTE (Simply Prepaid), which is what I'd get if I lived there full time. As it is, I still have the $3/day plan grandfathered so that works for my short trips.

I haven't checked SIMPLE and Straightalk's current plans in a while; they resell T-Mo, and AT&T service, as a MVNOs.

I have a project FI sim for text messages to the USA, voicemail, and global roaming in 120 countries. My bill averages around $27 per month its worth it to me.

I have a project FI sim for text messages to the USA, voicemail, and global roaming in 120 countries. My bill averages around $27 per month its worth it to me.

Yes, the global roaming is probably one of the more interesting features of Project Fi. Of course you have to pay for in-bound and outbound int'l calls (all international texts are free).

https://fi.google.com/about/rates/

(These rates look the same as Google Voice, which would require local WiFi.)

Mobile data is extra: $10/GB, but also available internationally, but limited to 256 Kbps.

You can get free SMS and voicemail with Google Voice/Hangouts and Talkatone (among others). You also get free calls (in-bound and outbound) when on WiFi.

Yes, the global roaming is probably one of the more interesting features of Project Fi. Of course you have to pay for in-bound and outbound int'l calls (all international texts are free).

https://fi.google.com/about/rates/

(These rates look the same as Google Voice, which would require local WiFi.)

Mobile data is extra: $10/GB, but also available internationally, but limited to 256 Kbps.

You can get free SMS and voicemail with Google Voice/Hangouts and Talkatone (among others). You also get free calls (in-bound and outbound) when on WiFi.

It's the best attempt of a global phone I am aware of. WiFi is spotty in some countries and places such as hotels so voice service almost anywhere is nice to have when needed.

problem is no friends in thailand are going to make an international call to call you, nor an international SMS, so your probably gonna have to have a DTAC SIM, now if they had a dual SIM option, might make sense, otherwise, only good for friends in your home country whilst you are travelling, seems to me.

unless , you won't be getting any local calls and do everything on LINE app , which seems to be the trend actually , the data costs though, for any longer period of time, are still going to be 1/2 the price by using DTAC. for 1 month OK I could pay an extra $15 for 3GB , but not longer than that.

though, at least you have something working if your not set up yet with a Thai SIM, or if you were to go to Malaysia, Laos, etc ?

Seems to me it might make sense to have a backup phone, in case it became lost, stolen, esp. if one is travelling around a lot. Keep the nice one at home, as phones nowadays are almost like small laptops ?

I purchased a Nexus 5 a few months ago and am pretty happy with Project Fi. I don't use data so the cost averages to be about 26 USD a month with taxes and fees.

I like the idea of a global phone so that is why I switched from Virgin Mobile.

I am curious whether calls (or texts) to the US via Project Fi appear on receiver's caller ID any differently that it would appear if I were calling from the US.

I am curious whether calls (or texts) to the US via Project Fi appear on receiver's caller ID any differently that it would appear if I were calling from the US.

Yes, assuming the local roaming partner is operating up to spec., your 10 digit U.S. telephone number will get passed as CPID; not all receiving devices can display CPID of course. The called party would not know your physical/geographic location.

FWIW, the only models certified for Project Fi are the Nexus 6, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. You may be able to get a Project Fi Nano SIM activated on one of these devices, and then use a Micro-Nano SIM adapter and use it in a Nexus 5. (I think you can sideload the app, but not sure about the Sprint bands though?)

For $300/year, and assuming you are happy with one of these devices, Project Fi is the most cost-effective global solution for voice and text that I am aware of, if you don't have access to WiFi, and you are comfortable with the international calling rates. T-Mobile has a similar international roaming option (140+ countries), free but it must ride on top of an existing/qualifying Simple Choice voice/text plan, of which I think the min. plan is $65/month (includes 6 GB of data - I don't think it's free on the $50 Simple Choice plan.).

For those who use Project Fi here in Thailand, can you share which local provider you roam onto?

I called Project Fi today, on another topic, they more or less said N5 won't get sprint, fwiw.

and bunch of stuff I didn't understand, but then maybe the poster misspoke when he said N5 and meant N5X

I'm finding it hard to resist getting a N5X upgrade, for $200, as though my N5 is 1.5 years old, I'm reading it's access to support/ OS upgrades may be limited ........ and I'm a very light smart phone luser

Yes, assuming the local roaming partner is operating up to spec., your 10 digit U.S. telephone number will get passed as CPID; not all receiving devices can display CPID of course. The called party would not know your physical/geographic location.

FWIW, the only models certified for Project Fi are the Nexus 6, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6P. You may be able to get a Project Fi Nano SIM activated on one of these devices, and then use a Micro-Nano SIM adapter and use it in a Nexus 5. (I think you can sideload the app, but not sure about the Sprint bands though?)

For $300/year, and assuming you are happy with one of these devices, Project Fi is the most cost-effective global solution for voice and text that I am aware of, if you don't have access to WiFi, and you are comfortable with the international calling rates. T-Mobile has a similar international roaming option (140+ countries), free but it must ride on top of an existing/qualifying Simple Choice voice/text plan, of which I think the min. plan is $65/month (includes 6 GB of data - I don't think it's free on the $50 Simple Choice plan.).

For those who use Project Fi here in Thailand, can you share which local provider you roam onto?

and bunch of stuff I didn't understand, but then maybe the poster misspoke when he said N5 and meant N5X

Yes, I assumed as much, just wanted to clarify.

I'm finding it hard to resist getting a N5X upgrade, for $200, as though my N5 is 1.5 years old, I'm reading it's access to support/ OS upgrades may be limited ........ and I'm a very light smart phone luser

My N5 gets all the upgrades my N6 does, albeit a few days earlier. Both have 6.0.1 w/ May 1, 2016 security patch level.

A new N5X/16 GB for ~ $250-ish (tax, shipping, at least one month of service) is a good deal. Just make sure you understand the terms. Also, I think you can port in your existing number to Fi, if you want? But if you plan to cancel the service then this may not be a great idea? The N5X also takes a Nano SIM, so you'll have to get a new SIM, which won't work with your N5 (unless you try one of those dodgy adapters and then wedge it).

The network is shown as 'project fi' in the phone and also apps like signal check pro also show project FI as the network in Thailand. I have roamed in other countries such as Germany and signal check pro showed T-Mobile but most locations have the carrier masked by project FI.

I guess an IP address lookup might reveal the carrier. I can check later today.

Yes, I assumed as much, just wanted to clarify.

My N5 gets all the upgrades my N6 does, albeit a few days earlier. Both have 6.0.1 w/ May 1, 2016 security patch level.

A new N5X/16 GB for ~ $250-ish (tax, shipping, at least one month of service) is a good deal. Just make sure you understand the terms. Also, I think you can port in your existing number to Fi, if you want? But if you plan to cancel the service then this may not be a great idea? The N5X also takes a Nano SIM, so you'll have to get a new SIM, which won't work with your N5 (unless you try one of those dodgy adapters and then wedge it).

You can also suspend project FI a service for up to 3 months so this is another option.

Get your project FI 5x, use it for a month then suspend it while you are in Thailand and you won't get charged.

The 5x is much better than the 5 because of battery life, type C USB and rapid charging.

I think I use an adapter already with my N5 for Tmobile, whereas DTACs is full size.

I guess, like other SIMs , if you don't use it for X months, you lose the phone number, would that be the same with Project Fi , then you'd have to do what , buy another new SIM from Project Fi I guess

You can also suspend project FI a service for up to 3 months so this is another option.

Get your project FI 5x, use it for a month then suspend it while you are in Thailand and you won't get charged.

The 5x is much better than the 5 because of battery life, type C USB and rapid charging.

btw, what happens, if I have a N5 with an existing google account, and when I buy the new phone N5X, I use the N5 google account to buy it from? will the N5X have all my apps and google acccount ported over to the new N5X , anyone happen to know ?

When I signed up for Project Fi, I got the Nexus 5X. Sorry if my previous post was misleading.

I had just returned to US from LOS and I was asking about the Caller ID situation as I don't want people to necessarily know where I am.

The network is shown as 'project fi' in the phone

You can try Settings, About phone, Status, SIM status, Network (and/or Roaming)

Do you ever have issues establishing a connection here in Thailand?

Says project FI in the sim status.

No issues getting a connection in Thailand but I don't use data very much.

When I signed up for Project Fi, I got the Nexus 5X. Sorry if my previous post was misleading.

I had just returned to US from LOS and I was asking about the Caller ID situation as I don't want people to necessarily know where I am.

One person told me it had a 1 (country code)in front of the number on their caller ID. This was on a corporate landline

I guess, like other SIMs , if you don't use it for X months, you lose the phone number, would that be the same with Project Fi , then you'd have to do what , buy another new SIM from Project Fi I guess

There may be a few options: port out to Google Voice, or, someone in this thread mentioned a 3 month suspension with Fi. (This is why a prepaid T-Mobile number/SIM/account may be better for some; all depends on your travel patterns/usage.) In the U.S. it is very easy to port out/in between any/all providers (mobile, fixed-line, cable, Prepaid, VOIP). Maybe check to Google Product forums under Project Fi for more experiences?)

btw, what happens, if I have a N5 with an existing google account, and when I buy the new phone N5X, I use the N5 google account to buy it from? will the N5X have all my apps and google acccount ported over to the new N5X

Yes, as long as you use the same GMail account: all apps, contacts etc will replicate. Further, on start-up you can use the new "Tap & Go" feature (turn on bluetooth and NFC)

'caught out' in what way?

do you mean you have to go to Big C to buy a ?DTAC nano SIM ?

I ended up with the 32Gb N5X, $260 out the door, + $30 for 1st month of PFi , after which I may just turn it off as I rarely ever use a mobile outside of home ; but, perhaps for Thailand it could be useful to carry around, esp. if I can mirror my 1 main google mobile account between the phones . Though I still do banking google account only on desktops. Which, in a way defeats the purpose of all the whizbang Google Now location phone search , that N5X/N5/Lollipop seems to celebrate ?? :)

Just a reminder so you don't get caught like I did. The Nexus 5X uses a nano SIM so I will be fighting the traffic this Saturday morning trying to get one at Big C , Pattaya South. I wouldn't dare to try and cut down my current micro SIM

'caught out' in what way?

do you mean you have to go to Big C to buy a ?DTAC nano SIM ?

I ended up with the 32Gb N5X, $260 out the door, + $30 for 1st month of PFi , after which I may just turn it off as I rarely ever use a mobile outside of home ; but, perhaps for Thailand it could be useful to carry around, esp. if I can mirror my 1 main google mobile account between the phones . Though I still do banking google account only on desktops. Which, in a way defeats the purpose of all the whizbang Google Now location phone search , that N5X/N5/Lollipop seems to celebrate ?? smile.png

Just a reminder so you don't get caught like I did. The Nexus 5X uses a nano SIM so I will be fighting the traffic this Saturday morning trying to get one at Big C , Pattaya South. I wouldn't dare to try and cut down my current micro SIM

caught as in my Nexus 5X will not work in Thailand because of the nano SIM requirement. Which is smaller than my Nexus 5 SIM which is a micro SIM. So I must go to the nearest DTAC shop, which happens to be at Big C South Pattaya , and trade in or buy a nano SIM to be able to use the new phone

DTAC, or any provider here, will exchange a micro-SIM for a nano-SIM free of charge. It takes about 10 seconds to re-map to new nano SIM to your existing account/number.

100 % correct, once I fought the traffic to the DTAC shop yesterday I walked out with a new nano SIM for free. Took my passport just in case and they copied it to place with the paperwork. Whether required or not I don't know but I sure wasn't about to go through the exercise again if it was

Joked with the girl if I could keep the old micro SIM and she knowingly smiled and said NO Can , but she did give me a SIM card adapter so that I can use the nano SIM in my old Nexus 5 if need be

Archived