"north american" google nexus 5X in Thailand?

chubby

I can use the nano SIM in my old Nexus 5 if need be

Be very, very careful. Half the time you will wedge the SIM/adapter in the slot sliding it in and not be able to remove it without disassembling the phone. The other half of the time you will wedge it when you try to remove it.

Many, many, many people have been there, and done that.

Best to use the proper-sized SIM.

so, if you had to sign up for a new Nano SIM, you were going to trade/sell your N5X instead of registering a new SIM, I don't recall it being that bad to get a new SIM, last December

I've been using adapters in my N5 for some time, guess I'll need to be aware of what can happen, as seems to me, many new SIMs are no longer full size here in the USA.

DTAC, or any provider here, will exchange a micro-SIM for a nano-SIM free of charge. It takes about 10 seconds to re-map to new nano SIM to your existing account/number.

100 % correct, once I fought the traffic to the DTAC shop yesterday I walked out with a new nano SIM for free. Took my passport just in case and they copied it to place with the paperwork. Whether required or not I don't know but I sure wasn't about to go through the exercise again if it was

Joked with the girl if I could keep the old micro SIM and she knowingly smiled and said NO Can , but she did give me a SIM card adapter so that I can use the nano SIM in my old Nexus 5 if need be

so, if you had to sign up for a new Nano SIM, you were going to trade/sell your N5X instead of registering a new SIM, I don't recall it being that bad to get a new SIM, last December

I've been using adapters in my N5 for some time, guess I'll need to be aware of what can happen, as seems to me, many new SIMs are no longer full size here in the USA.

Most SIMs are now Micro or Nano.

Here in Thailand you can exchange a micro-SIM for a nano SIM, and vice-versa, typically without cost, and in a few seconds in a full(-er) service shop. Most pre-paid SIMs are now sold as 2 in 1 here. Obviously it would help if the person who the SIM is registered to completes the exchange in person. Some sort of ID (Thai national ID, or foreign passport) is typically required.

In the U.S. you can typically now buy a 3 in 1 kit. And with T-Mobile it is easy to re-map an existing number between SIM types; just buy the one you need (no activation kit required) and do it all on-line.

so if I run a VPN on my nexus which is always on, this is going to conflict with the project fi VPN that kicks in when connected to "free and open wifi spots"??

I asked them, just what are these open wifi spots they talk about, other than starbucks, which has a login screen to agree to also, I cant see that there are many open wifi spots

i guess now google will datamine every wifi spot i access to, under this project, good thing i'm not a criminal

I assume you could turn off "WiFi Assistant"?

Maybe read/ask in the Google product forum?

https://support.google.com/fi/answer/6164833?hl=en

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/project-fi

BTW, I just discovered a cool feature with an encrypted phone (mine is encrypted); you can add "Trusted places" (like your home or office) where the phone is unlocked if you are in one of these "places". Settings, Security, Smart Lock.

I can use the nano SIM in my old Nexus 5 if need be
Be very, very careful. Half the time you will wedge the SIM/adapter in the slot sliding it in and not be able to remove it without disassembling the phone. The other half of the time you will wedge it when you try to remove it.
Many, many, many people have been there, and done that.
Best to use the proper-sized SIM.

You are correct, here is an article that details the problems inherent with these adapters and possible solutions if you must use one. In my case I have to have a backup phone for Thai banking and their SMS , OTP requirement and I am not about to buy another Nexus 5X just for that purpose

http://www.androidcentral.com/warning-using-sim-adapter-incorrectly-brings-down-world-hate

for a Nexus 5, how important is it that the adapter is totally stiff? I looked at my Tmobile nano->micro adapter and while it seems to fit with only the tiny-est of gaps, it Does flex a bit. ; somehow I hesitate to put down $14 for a little plastic adapter like the Sadapter

for a Nexus 5, how important is it that the adapter is totally stiff? I looked at my Tmobile nano->micro adapter and while it seems to fit with only the tiny-est of gaps, it Does flex a bit. ; somehow I hesitate to put down $14 for a little plastic adapter like the Sadapter

If it snags on the pins inside the phone, your looking for a lot more than $14 for a qualified technician to get it out

But I think that if you are only going to take it out rarely you are probably correct, but if constantly changing SIM's I would spend the money and they can be had for a lot less than $14

post-10942-0-59884700-1464140409_thumb.p

http://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Samsung-Motorola-Iphone-Quality/dp/B00KCE0KLS/ref=pd_sim_107_14?ie=UTF8&dpID=51xEZzc8MgL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=0Z0GPEEEYK5M2WT8D9H7

well is the Noosy particularly stiff? do you have either one of these, just curious what makes for a 'quality adapter', a lot of those $3 items, end of with hidden $10 shipping charges I've noticed, etc

Hi Chubby.

Where can you by a Nexus 5X in Bangkok for $260?

Is it unlocked?

Has this version a removable battery?

My early Nexus body is sealed.

cheers.

r

'caught out' in what way?

do you mean you have to go to Big C to buy a ?DTAC nano SIM ?

I ended up with the 32Gb N5X, $260 out the door, + $30 for 1st month of PFi , after which I may just turn it off as I rarely ever use a mobile outside of home ; but, perhaps for Thailand it could be useful to carry around, esp. if I can mirror my 1 main google mobile account between the phones . Though I still do banking google account only on desktops. Which, in a way defeats the purpose of all the whizbang Google Now location phone search , that N5X/N5/Lollipop seems to celebrate ?? smile.png

Just a reminder so you don't get caught like I did. The Nexus 5X uses a nano SIM so I will be fighting the traffic this Saturday morning trying to get one at Big C , Pattaya South. I wouldn't dare to try and cut down my current micro SIM

Where can you by a Nexus 5X in Bangkok for $260?

Is it unlocked?

Has this version a removable battery?

My early Nexus body is sealed.

I got my Nexus 5X from Lazada for 13,000 THB,(32 GB model) reading chubby's earlier posts the $260 price is the promotional package price with Project Fi (mobile data)

All Nexus phones are unlocked

None have a removable battery and the body is still sealed, so no ability to expand the memory with a memory card

There was a promotion in the U.S.A., where you could get a Google Nexus 5X/16 GB for $199 (normal price is $349) if you subscribed to Project Fi, maybe for as little as one month; so with phone ($199) +1 month of voice/text/data ($20+$10=$30) plus any tax/shipping. I think that promotion has ended. (There was an awesome promotion on the Pixel C, for developers - but anyone could be a developer - but that ended as well.)

You can buy a Nexus 5X/16 GB here for as little as 10,390 THB, and a 32 GB version for as little as 11,999 THB. No clue if these are grey-market, and/or warrantied by LG here.

I think there are two different versions LG-H790 (more U.S. carrier/band centric) and LG-H791 (more global/band centric).

Google Nexus devices cannot accept uSD cards, and while the case is sealed, it is relatively easy to install a new battery on your own. (These battery installs typically require prying the case apart, removing a lot of screws, un-sticking the battery - the hardest part, unplugging a ribbon cable, then reversing the procedures.)

Google Nexus devices are carrier-unlocked. (The bootloader is locked, but can be unlocked quite simply.)

promotion is still on, for few days/weeks, and has been extended a few times, yes, you need to join PFi for 1 month then you can cancel out

my OP was about the North American vs. Global centric, hopefully for Thailand, as you guys said, it won't matter much, if at all, which version , as promo is north american version only

How can I receive a special Project Fi discount for the Nexus 5X?

For a limited time, Project Fi is offering a discount of $150 off our normal price for the Nexus 5X, with activation required. If you purchase a Nexus 5X from fi.google.com, the discounted price will automatically apply during checkout. You must then activate Fi service on the same account within 30 days of device shipment, or an additional $150 will be charged to your Google Payments account to match the full price of the device. There is no minimum activation time needed to be eligible for the discount.

In addition, if you purchase a Nexus 5X from the Google Store while this offer is valid, and then activate Fi service on the device, then you will automatically receive a partial refund to the form of payment used to purchase. The partial refund amount will match the difference between the amount you paid for the Nexus 5X and the Fi promotional price. You do not need to contact Project Fi or Google Store customer support to receive the partial refund, as it will be automatically applied within two weeks of reactivating Fi service.

This offer is valid until June 9th, 2016, while supplies last for U.S. residents ages 18 and older with a Google Payments account. There is a limit of 1 discounted Nexus 5X per customer, this offer cannot be combined with other offers, and terms are subject to applicable laws. The offer is void where prohibited.

Archived