American Expat in Krabi Hangs Himself in Apparent Suicide

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a former teacher, I recall similar feelings a few times at the beginning of a new school year.

With each passing year it is harder to get up in the morning to keep your nose to the grindstone for little reward.

I can't imagine still having a boss at age 65.

This has got to be the most stupid newspaper heading of all time

If HE hung HIMSELF of course it was a suicide.Duh!!!!!!

R.I.P.

Not stupid at all ! First you have to look at the options. Only the deceased knows what happened, and he ain,t talking :( This IS Thailand, and there is always the possibility, small as it may be, that he was rendered unconscious and then hung by person or persons unknown, and thereby hangs (excuse the pun) the doubt !

That's the point, if he was hung by person pr persons unknown, then he didn't hang himself did he.

I think half of the questions posted here could be explained by the fact that the journalist here has been at the thesaurus again and failed to grasp the subtle usage difference between 'apparent' and 'alleged'.

R.I.P.

Not stupid at all ! First you have to look at the options. Only the deceased knows what happened, and he ain,t talking sad.png This IS Thailand, and there is always the possibility, small as it may be, that he was rendered unconscious and then hung by person or persons unknown, and thereby hangs (excuse the pun) the doubt !

That's the point, if he was hung by person pr persons unknown, then he didn't hang himself did he.

I believe "Man found hung in apparent suicide" is what actually happened.

Not being an expert in English grammar, i understood that hanged is the past tense of hang.Hang being the verb..to hang.I also understood that hung is the past participle.Please correct me if i am wrong.

I'm just tickled pink that I could understand the article.

Conjugation is elitist. So is inflexible spelling.

Not being an expert in English grammar, i understood that hanged is the past tense of hang.Hang being the verb..to hang.I also understood that hung is the past participle.Please correct me if i am wrong.

Hanged vs. hung

Hung is the past tense and past participle of hang in most of that verb’s senses. For instance, yesterday you might have hung a picture on the wall, hung a right turn, and hung your head in sorrow. The exception comes where hang means to put to death by hanging. The past tense and past participle of hang in this sense, and only in this sense, is hanged.

The World Health Organisation (2012) ranks Thailand 56th in global suicide rates, well below many Western nations such as the USA and France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

But I'm sure Thailand's media ranks very high in the world for reporting such stories. Full colour blood and guts photographs of homicide/suicide/accident victims on the front page of Thai newspapers are far too common.

That may contribute as to why these sad incidents appear so prevalent in LOS (NOT Land of Suicides)

At least in the attached Chiangrai Times report, a degree of dignity and respect was offered, as there was only a blurred image of the deceased on the ground, and not one showing the fellow swinging from a rope.

Let's hope this unfortunate did indeed take his own life....unlike the Frenchman's "suicide" with his hands tied behind his back?

Suicide is a terrible decision to make and leaves devastation behind.

Whatever reason drove him to such a final act I hope he has peace now.

Hanged vs. hung

Hung is the past tense and past participle of hang in most of that verb’s senses. For instance, yesterday you might have hung a picture on the wall, hung a right turn, and hung your head in sorrow. The exception comes where hang means to put to death by hanging. The past tense and past participle of hang in this sense, and only in this sense, is hanged.

As DeLorean says, it's time you all checked your grammar, you hang decorations... only people are hanged.

gigglem.gif

RIP. Seems strange. You hear of expat men who are washed up in Thailand, no money, no hope, end of the road, so they suicide. However, William was an English teacher, so he had a career and salary. Perhaps his marriage was turning bad, wonder why he didn't just pack up and move away.

He had recently quit work, and became depressed after doing so.

Yet another apparent suicide funny how the wife or girlfriend is never at home when it happens ! I always ask myself why ??????

Not many people commit suicide with somebody else present.

Ever thought, that had his wife been there she might have tried to talk him out of it ?

Makes you cynical living in Thailand doesn't it. With good cause I am afraid. No suicide note? There is obviously more to this but in the land of smoke and mirrors and secrets and lies it is unlikely the truth will ever be known.

I know it's news reporting but reading Thai Visa on a daily

basis it saddens me to read about so much hurt, pain and

people dying all the time, hurting children etc,

it's making me feel really sad.

How could he hang himself if he was lying on the ground...???

Well, the article also says, "The 38 year-old Thai wife, Wongduan Lunla, told police that she returned home from work at noon and found the body of William Patrick hung from a rope tied to a window frame."

It's not a real stretch to think she may have cut him down, is it?

True ..True...while it is not a real stretch to think she may have had him murdered ( Drugged first ) and then strung up to look like a suicide because "then" the police will assess the situation and come up with a brilliant deduction based on the "obvious" and state for the record that he.......Wait for it....

Committed Suicide ............Hmmmmm......case closed ......and the lovey wife is soon off to the Life insurance company.

As I said in another post....This is known as: Hypothesizing at large....until we know the details and or facts concerning the mans questionable death

Cheers

As in Krabi / Thailand most expats / retirees girlfriend is Thai, if on each of those suicides the girlfriend would be Namibian it would be more surprising, suspicious even. However with the strict visa regulations it isn't the greatest miracle that she happens to be Thai.

She probably turned up several times per day before the crime as well and we have no report on how immediately she arrived after the crime; few minutes? few hours? And again, if she suddenly wouldn't show up anymore after the crime things would become more surprising, suspicious even.

There is always a girlfriend somewhere who turns up immediately after thr "crime" and surprise surprise, she happens to be Thai.

R.I.P.

How do you know he hung himself?

Were you there?

People are murdered worldwide frequently and the criminals are staging suicides to avoid further investigation.

Don't be so negative.

Expats get into all sorts of problems in Thailand. Bad relationships, mixed up with criminals and rotten business deals but most I guess is because of money. May be rely on work or companies for their incomes, don’t have a lot in the bank and if the money begins to dry up they fall into panic and despair then see no ways out of the mess.

A lot of Thai Farlang partners are hardly on the same wavelengths. Me being the sole money provider at home my Thai gf has little understand of how my financial situation works, all she knows that when the bills come in they get paid and some mug (that’s me) always makes sure the money is there to see us through each month and year by year. If things started to go wrong on my end she wouldn’t have clues as for why and how. Most Thai partners may be good at budgeting and understand the amounts in figures, but where it actually comes from is often too technical for them. So it doesn’t come as a big surprise when these Thai wives seem shocked and bewildered when Farlang hubby goes into hyper depression and suddenly cracks up under the strain.

How could he hang himself if he was lying on the ground...???

Well, the article also says, "The 38 year-old Thai wife, Wongduan Lunla, told police that she returned home from work at noon and found the body of William Patrick hung from a rope tied to a window frame."

It's not a real stretch to think she may have cut him down, is it?

True ..True...while it is not a real stretch to think she may have had him murdered ( Drugged first ) and then strung up to look like a suicide because "then" the police will assess the situation and come up with a brilliant deduction based on the "obvious" and state for the record that he.......Wait for it....

Committed Suicide ............Hmmmmm......case closed ......and the lovey wife is soon off to the Life insurance company.

As I said in another post....This is known as: Hypothesizing at large....until we know the details and or facts concerning the mans questionable death

Cheers

T.I.T., and I don't mean this is Thailand, I am referring to you.

Sanctimonious knob.

I bet your wife is squeaky clean ? She has good 'brothers' ?

Archived