American Expat in Krabi Hangs Himself in Apparent Suicide

webfact

Not being an expert in English grammar, i understood that hanged is the past tense of hang.Hang being the verb..to hang.I also understood that hung is the past participle.Please correct me if i am wrong.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a former teacher, I recall similar feelings a few times at the beginning of a new school year.

With each passing year it is harder to get up in the morning to keep your nose to the grindstone for little reward.

I can't imagine still having a boss at age 65.

This has got to be the most stupid newspaper heading of all time

If HE hung HIMSELF of course it was a suicide.Duh!!!!!!

R.I.P.

Not stupid at all ! First you have to look at the options. Only the deceased knows what happened, and he ain,t talking :( This IS Thailand, and there is always the possibility, small as it may be, that he was rendered unconscious and then hung by person or persons unknown, and thereby hangs (excuse the pun) the doubt !

That's the point, if he was hung by person pr persons unknown, then he didn't hang himself did he.

Omg! Debate about the headline!? Surely the more important questions are why there are do many suicides/deaths like this, and what can be done about it? So much for support networks.

I think half of the questions posted here could be explained by the fact that the journalist here has been at the thesaurus again and failed to grasp the subtle usage difference between 'apparent' and 'alleged'.

This has got to be the most stupid newspaper heading of all time

If HE hung HIMSELF of course it was a suicide.Duh!!!!!!

R.I.P.

Not stupid at all ! First you have to look at the options. Only the deceased knows what happened, and he ain,t talking sad.png This IS Thailand, and there is always the possibility, small as it may be, that he was rendered unconscious and then hung by person or persons unknown, and thereby hangs (excuse the pun) the doubt !

That's the point, if he was hung by person pr persons unknown, then he didn't hang himself did he.

I believe "Man found hung in apparent suicide" is what actually happened.

Not being an expert in English grammar, i understood that hanged is the past tense of hang.Hang being the verb..to hang.I also understood that hung is the past participle.Please correct me if i am wrong.

I'm just tickled pink that I could understand the article.

Conjugation is elitist. So is inflexible spelling.

There is always a girlfriend somewhere who turns up immediately after thr "crime" and surprise surprise, she happens to be Thai.

It's amazing, isn't it.

Normally you would expect the President of Zimbabwe to be the first on the scene.

Hanged vs. hung

Hung is the past tense and past participle of hang in most of that verb’s senses. For instance, yesterday you might have hung a picture on the wall, hung a right turn, and hung your head in sorrow. The exception comes where hang means to put to death by hanging. The past tense and past participle of hang in this sense, and only in this sense, is hanged.

The World Health Organisation (2012) ranks Thailand 56th in global suicide rates, well below many Western nations such as the USA and France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_suicide_rate

But I'm sure Thailand's media ranks very high in the world for reporting such stories. Full colour blood and guts photographs of homicide/suicide/accident victims on the front page of Thai newspapers are far too common.

That may contribute as to why these sad incidents appear so prevalent in LOS (NOT Land of Suicides)

At least in the attached Chiangrai Times report, a degree of dignity and respect was offered, as there was only a blurred image of the deceased on the ground, and not one showing the fellow swinging from a rope.

Let's hope this unfortunate did indeed take his own life....unlike the Frenchman's "suicide" with his hands tied behind his back?

Suicide is a terrible decision to make and leaves devastation behind.

Whatever reason drove him to such a final act I hope he has peace now.

Archived