American Expat in Krabi Hangs Himself in Apparent Suicide

webfact

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not being an expert in English grammar, i understood that hanged is the past tense of hang.Hang being the verb..to hang.I also understood that hung is the past participle.Please correct me if i am wrong.

I'm just tickled pink that I could understand the article.

Conjugation is elitist. So is inflexible spelling.

So, remembering what you were taught is elitist? Or, maybe you just slept through those classes.

Omg! Debate about the headline!? Surely the more important questions are why there are do many suicides/deaths like this, and what can be done about it? So much for support networks.

Perhaps some English language support networks.

Not being an expert in English grammar, i understood that hanged is the past tense of hang.Hang being the verb..to hang.I also understood that hung is the past participle.Please correct me if i am wrong.

Hanged vs. hung

Hung is the past tense and past participle of hang in most of that verb’s senses. For instance, yesterday you might have hung a picture on the wall, hung a right turn, and hung your head in sorrow. The exception comes where hang means to put to death by hanging. The past tense and past participle of hang in this sense, and only in this sense, is hanged.

Tsk, Tsk, let's not make it worse by plagiarizing; http://grammarist.com/usage/hanged-hung/

I'm beginning to think there is something fishy about Thai wives being away and returning home to find their husbands are dead. I think it is more likely a "Wifecide" than a suicide. This plot is popular here in Thailand especially when there is a 20 year or more age difference.

Yeah, imagine that; a wife allowed to go out and then the presumptuous bitch thinks she can come back home.

I'm beginning to think there is something fishy about Thai wives being away and returning home to find their husbands are dead. I think it is more likely a "Wifecide" than a suicide. This plot is popular here in Thailand especially when there is a 20 year or more age difference.

Did you think that he worked all his life, finished work, and found it hard to adapt ?

Maybe not, but who am I to argue when you live your perfect life ?

This has got to be the most stupid newspaper heading of all time

If HE hung HIMSELF of course it was a suicide.Duh!!!!!!

R.I.P.

How do you know he hung himself?

Were you there?

People are murdered worldwide frequently and the criminals are staging suicides to avoid further investigation.

Don't be so negative.

Expats get into all sorts of problems in Thailand. Bad relationships, mixed up with criminals and rotten business deals but most I guess is because of money. May be rely on work or companies for their incomes, don’t have a lot in the bank and if the money begins to dry up they fall into panic and despair then see no ways out of the mess.

A lot of Thai Farlang partners are hardly on the same wavelengths. Me being the sole money provider at home my Thai gf has little understand of how my financial situation works, all she knows that when the bills come in they get paid and some mug (that’s me) always makes sure the money is there to see us through each month and year by year. If things started to go wrong on my end she wouldn’t have clues as for why and how. Most Thai partners may be good at budgeting and understand the amounts in figures, but where it actually comes from is often too technical for them. So it doesn’t come as a big surprise when these Thai wives seem shocked and bewildered when Farlang hubby goes into hyper depression and suddenly cracks up under the strain.

There have been several hundred ( Possibly thousands ) of foreigners murdered here in Thailand, over the many years of course ...without a doubt..... while possibly 10 percent of them are exposed and very few are followed up on by the police.

Often it is because the police are just too lazy and or indifferent concerning the death of a foreign national while we will never understand their reasoning and or their attitude when it comes to any serious police work called for in an effort to confirm how the foreigner died and the circumstances involved.

Some yes...but most of the cases are not pursued.

Naturally the police are kept busy enough and often overloaded with a myriad of cases pending and such...but the death of someone should be given precedent ...but it does not or seldom does and especially when it is a foreigner....or so it seems.

That being the case, it seems the perpetrators of pre meditated murder obviously do not fear the ramifications of their actions knowing that the police will most likely not thoroughly investigate the death of a foreigner especially when the death is set up to look like a suicide and the police readily agree and deem the death as a suicide ...or .....over the balcony goes one more foreigner plunging to their deaths and seemingly a somewhat common occurrence amongst foreigners living in high rise apartment buildings ...and commonly having relationships with Thai women in some form or another....just before their deaths.

Although possible, this apparent suicide, as explained in the OP, comes with a load of suspicions while the case will more than likely be quickly closed and filed under suicide as the police have more important matters to deal with....if you know what I mean.

Of no surprise to me but still it would be satisfying to know the perpetrators are caught out and imprisoned for their heinous crimes...as should be.

Cheers

This has got to be the most stupid newspaper heading of all time

If HE hung HIMSELF of course it was a suicide.Duh!!!!!!

R.I.P.

How do you know he hung himself?

Were you there?

People are murdered worldwide frequently and the criminals are staging suicides to avoid further investigation.

Don't be so negative.

Expats get into all sorts of problems in Thailand. Bad relationships, mixed up with criminals and rotten business deals but most I guess is because of money. May be rely on work or companies for their incomes, dont have a lot in the bank and if the money begins to dry up they fall into panic and despair then see no ways out of the mess.

A lot of Thai Farlang partners are hardly on the same wavelengths. Me being the sole money provider at home my Thai gf has little understand of how my financial situation works, all she knows that when the bills come in they get paid and some mug (thats me) always makes sure the money is there to see us through each month and year by year. If things started to go wrong on my end she wouldnt have clues as for why and how. Most Thai partners may be good at budgeting and understand the amounts in figures, but where it actually comes from is often too technical for them. So it doesnt come as a big surprise when these Thai wives seem shocked and bewildered when Farlang hubby goes into hyper depression and suddenly cracks up under the strain.

There have been several hundred ( Possibly thousands ) of foreigners murdered here in Thailand, over the many years of course ...without a doubt..... while possibly 10 percent of them are exposed and very few are followed up on by the police.

Often it is because the police are just too lazy and or indifferent concerning the death of a foreign national while we will never understand their reasoning and or their attitude when it comes to any serious police work called for in an effort to confirm how the foreigner died and the circumstances involved.

Some yes...but most of the cases are not pursued.

Naturally the police are kept busy enough and often overloaded with a myriad of cases pending and such...but the death of someone should be given precedent ...but it does not or seldom does and especially when it is a foreigner....or so it seems.

That being the case, it seems the perpetrators of pre meditated murder obviously do not fear the ramifications of their actions knowing that the police will most likely not thoroughly investigate the death of a foreigner especially when the death is set up to look like a suicide and the police readily agree and deem the death as a suicide ...or .....over the balcony goes one more foreigner plunging to their deaths and seemingly a somewhat common occurrence amongst foreigners living in high rise apartment buildings ...and commonly having relationships with Thai women in some form or another....just before their deaths.

Although possible, this apparent suicide, as explained in the OP, comes with a load of suspicions while the case will more than likely be quickly closed and filed under suicide as the police have more important matters to deal with....if you know what I mean.

Of no surprise to me but still it would be satisfying to know the perpetrators are caught out and imprisoned for their heinous crimes...as should be.

Cheers

So a 65 year old man retires from work, starts suffering from bouts of depression, then he is found hanged.

And you are suggesting the possibility of murder !

Unbelievable.

So a 65 year old man retires from work, starts suffering from bouts of depression, then he is found hanged.

And you are suggesting the possibility of murder !

Unbelievable.

There are a lot of dysfunctional posters with zero empathy hiding behind anonymous identities who have absolutely no pity for the grieving people they are accusing of murder. I sincerely hope that the partners of the deceased do not read Thai Visa. It is surely upsetting enough to have to discover your husband/boyfriend has killed himself, without then having hurtful insinuations made.

Although I sometimes find that the moderation in TV goes a little far, mostly it is fair. I wish that such groundless accusations were immediately deleted without comment, unless the poster come out of anonymity and makes a declaration such as

I, Peter <deleted>, living at 12/4 Idiots Way, with no proof accuse the Wife of the deceased, John Doe, of murder.

Because that is exactly what you are doing.

In Thailand that is a serious offense.

I, Peter <deleted>, living at 12/4 Idiots Way, with no proof accuse the Wife of the deceased, John Doe, of murder.

Because that is exactly what you are doing.

In Thailand that is a serious offense.

I don't see it as an accusation as much as a call for a thorough investigation. Which seems pretty reasonable. If he was my brother, I'd be wanting one.

That's not a blanket rationalization of some of the cruel and thoughtless posts here. Some are truly despicable.

But an investigation that lasts longer than the 15 minute news cycle would be appropriate.

well as far as a thai wife, i would never marry one . like the look they give but , dont want that long term thing ill take european any time , i want to live long ,lol

Ya Don't Know What You Are Missing Matey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...

This American was my brother Bill. I read and reply to most of the sympathetic opinions of the topic of his suicide. My heart goes out to the ignorant people who make comments such as he was "broke" in Thailand, comments about his Thai wife and other distasteful comments.. He was a wonderful friend and brother to me. He had had a stroke two years ago and was despondent over this and just plain depressed. He did not want to be a burden to his wife or family. He was a proud man. Bill was collecting a wonderful pension and also social security from 30 plus years of hard work. He loved Thailand and his Thai family. Before you assume things you may want to ask yourself "How would I feel if this happened to my brother or sister?". Again, my heart is grateful for empathetic comments and I feel sorry for ones that disrespect and have no clue of what he may have been going through. It saddens me how badly people must feel about themselves to make such nasty comments over such a private and tender event. What comes around goes around.

This American was my brother Bill. I read and reply to most of the sympathetic opinions of the topic of his suicide. My heart goes out to the ignorant people who make comments such as he was "broke" in Thailand, comments about his Thai wife and other distasteful comments.. He was a wonderful friend and brother to me. He had had a stroke two years ago and was despondent over this and just plain depressed. He did not want to be a burden to his wife or family. He was a proud man. Bill was collecting a wonderful pension and also social security from 30 plus years of hard work. He loved Thailand and his Thai family. Before you assume things you may want to ask yourself "How would I feel if this happened to my brother or sister?". Again, my heart is grateful for empathetic comments and I feel sorry for ones that disrespect and have no clue of what he may have been going through. It saddens me how badly people must feel about themselves to make such nasty comments over such a private and tender event. What comes around goes around.

Sincerest condolences Roakely.... I hope the families mourning period is as short as possibly, concentrating on, and celebrating the many good memories that you must have, verses dwelling on those final moments of his life

May Bills release from this world, bring his soul some peace.

RIP. Seems strange. You hear of expat men who are washed up in Thailand, no money, no hope, end of the road, so they suicide. However, William was an English teacher, so he had a career and salary. Perhaps his marriage was turning bad, wonder why he didn't just pack up and move away.

He had recently quit work, and became depressed after doing so.

His contract was not renewed because of his age and the school finally followed the rule.

However.. yes, RIP, he has found death's sting; prayers for the family.

Archived