Badoo seems over-rated. Am I missing something?

I signed up for Badoo a couple of days ago to see if it lived up to its hype. So far it hasn't.

It seems to me that the free Badoo exists as a teaser to get people to pay for VIP or "Superpowers" Badoo. Apparently I can get these questionable superpowers for free if I provide contact information on friends by giving Badoo access to my e-mail contacts, Facebook, Instagram, Google+, etc., but I'm not willing to do this.

Many people on his forum rave about Badoo. Are they raving about the free version, or the version that costs money or personal data about friends?

If the free Badoo is useful, is there a trick to it I haven't discovered?

The trick is simple; be attractive to look at. Badoo is essentially Thailand's tinder. If you're hot, you'll get a million matches an hour, if you're not - you'll get none. If you're bald or have long hair or facial hair, for example, you're going to be barrel scraping. If you look the way Thai women like... you'll be hitting the jackpot in no time.

The trick is simple; be attractive to look at. Badoo is essentially Thailand's tinder. If you're hot, you'll get a million matches an hour, if you're not - you'll get none. If you're bald or have long hair or facial hair, for example, you're going to be barrel scraping. If you look the way Thai women like... you'll be hitting the jackpot in no time.

I'm getting the "----- is interested in you" messages. However since I'm not paying for VIP or "superpowers", I can't check out the profiles of these women. So I've joined a hook-up service that tells me that women are interested but won't tell me who. What good is that?

As I posted earlier, the free service seems like nothing more than a teaser to get people to pay for service, or hand over personal data on friends.

Badoo seems worthless as a free service. Has anyone had a good experience using the free version? Free meaning not paying with money or personal data of friends.

If you're relying on a phone app to meet (Thai) women, I'd say you're severely missing the social skills to survive another week in Thailand rather like those deluded losers who claim 'great successes' from Thai Friendly etc....

Of course they want to tease you into buying a paid version. It's how these pikeys work, the smarter ones playing on the make ego and his horniness.....

Badoo is a complete waste of time. Why not try it the way it was done long before the internet came along and just talk to women. You may be surprised at how well that works.

"Badoo is a complete waste of time."

Do you speak from experience?

"Why not try it the way it was done long before the internet came along and just talk to women."

You might as well ask "Why identify exactly what you want on Amazon when you can spend hours driving all over the place looking for it, and maybe not find it?"

If the internet will let me screen many women to identify a small subset of interest before chatting with them, why not do it the efficient way?

If you're relying on a phone app to meet (Thai) women, I'd say you're severely missing the social skills to survive another week in Thailand rather like those deluded losers who claim 'great successes' from Thai Friendly etc....

Of course they want to tease you into buying a paid version. It's how these pikeys work, the smarter ones playing on the make ego and his horniness.....

Are you speaking from experience, or just posting an opinion?

If the internet will let me screen many women to identify a small subset of interest before chatting with them, why not do it the efficient way?

It won't.

Women aren't books which can be categorised and 'filed' into categories to suit your perusal. Sadly the only true way is to do as RayK said, get out there and try talking to a few then see which ones fit into your 'suitable categories'

you can spend hours driving all over the place looking for it

Isn't that 'driving all over the place' part of the whole fun?

Are you speaking from experience, or just posting an opinion?

Both.

My experience of people from such threads on here (and other fora) is that the 'ease' involved leads folk into some state of sheer delusion that because they're not meeting a hooker/bar girl in a bar but on the internet, that they are some super stud dating guru/love god.....

My opinion is that Thailand is stuffed full of some of the hottest, most obliging women on earth, why look in cyberspace when actually functioning like a human being can have huge rewards

Badoo is a complete waste of time. Why not try it the way it was done long before the internet came along and just talk to women. You may be surprised at how well that works.

"Badoo is a complete waste of time."

Do you speak from experience?

"Why not try it the way it was done long before the internet came along and just talk to women."

You might as well ask "Why identify exactly what you want on Amazon when you can spend hours driving all over the place looking for it, and maybe not find it?"

Actually, I do speak from experience as I tried it when i first came to Thailand.

Quickly realized that the vast majority of girls on Badoo are either hookers, girls looking for sugar daddies or even worse they are married to a Thai man and looking for the BBD.

I met my fiancee the way my parents met and there parents met, I seen her and had the balls to speak to her.

That was 3 years ago.

If you have to drive around hours to find a girl in Thailand like your reference to Amazon then you have serious problems.

I can walk outside and within the first 5 minutes find at least 20 girls to speak with.

And looking to purchase a television on Amazon is not the same as finding women.

Tv's all look the same and do the same whereas there are no two women the same.

For those who wish to pass moral judgment on internet dating sites and those who use them, could you please start a thread dedicated to that subject and leave this one to its intended purpose?

Apparently Merylhighground and Rayk are under the impression that people use Badoo in search of true love. I don't. I don't know anyone who does. I thought my description of Badoo as a hook-up site made that clear.

Rayk was disappointed to learn that many of the girls on Badoo are hookers or girls looking for sugar daddies. Some of us think that is a good thing.

So, for those who have tried to use Badoo for its intended purpose--quick, no commitment hook-ups, has anyone had any luck with the free version? Does one have to pay Badoo to get useful information out of it?

BTW, I've been in Thailand ten years. I know I have more options than I have the energy for within 20 minutes of my condo, and I routinely take advantage of these pleasurable options. But there is something about being a man that makes him want to find out what else is available.

For those who wish to pass moral judgment on internet dating sites and those who use them, could you please start a thread dedicated to that subject and leave this one to its intended purpose?

Apparently Merylhighground and Rayk are under the impression that people use Badoo in search of true love. I don't. I don't know anyone who does. I thought my description of Badoo as a hook-up site made that clear.

Rayk was disappointed to learn that many of the girls on Badoo are hookers or girls looking for sugar daddies. Some of us think that is a good thing.

So, for those who have tried to use Badoo for its intended purpose--quick, no commitment hook-ups, has anyone had any luck with the free version? Does one have to pay Badoo to get useful information out of it?

BTW, I've been in Thailand ten years. I know I have more options than I have the energy for within 20 minutes of my condo, and I routinely take advantage of these pleasurable options. But there is something about being a man that makes him want to find out what else is available.

"I thought my description of Badoo as a hook-up site made that clear."

You should have made that clear in your original post which clearly you didn't.

"For those who wish to pass moral judgment on internet dating sites and those who use them, could you please start a thread dedicated to that subject and leave this one to its intended purpose?"

"Badoo sems over rated- am I missing something?"

You're a joke. You ask a question which both myself and merlyhighground both answered. You didn't like the answer so you decide to move the goal post.

It's a wonder you're still single.

What is the intended purpose of this subject?

Is it lonely over-rated farang guy looking for cheap sex.

If that's the case then why do you need an app? Why not just continue to routinely 'take advantage' of the 'pleasurable options' close to your condo?

I agree an app may help you 'expand your horizons', if you will but in my opinion it's more fun the old fashioned way.....

"For those who wish to pass moral judgment on internet dating sites and those who use them, could you please start a thread dedicated to that subject and leave this one to its intended purpose?"

You're a joke. You ask a question which both myself and merlyhighground both answered. You didn't like the answer so you decide to move the goal post.

You are correct, I assumed in the OP that everyone who would be interested in this topic knew Badoo was a hook-up site. I only referred to it explicitly so after people indicated they thought it was a serious relationship site.

Regarding the intent of this subject, from the OP:

"Many people on his forum rave about Badoo. Are they raving about the free version, or the version that costs money or personal data about friends?

If the free Badoo is useful, is there a trick to it I haven't discovered?"

Isn't it clear that I am seeking the information from Badoo enthusiasts about the whether the free site is useful, and if so, how to get maximum benefit from it?

The subject is Badoo. I am seeking information from Badoo users. I am not seeking spiritual guidance on how to conduct my love life. If you are not a Badoo user, you don't have pertinent information.

If that's the case then why do you need an app? Why not just continue to routinely 'take advantage' of the 'pleasurable options' close to your condo?

I agree an app may help you 'expand your horizons', if you will but in my opinion it's more fun the old fashioned way.....

Ok, so you are expressing an opinion. It doesn't answer the questions in the OP, but thank you for your input.

The question remains: Does the free Badoo provide anything useful in terms of facilitating interesting, no-commitment encounters, or does one have to pay to upgrade?

OP might be interested in the 'Who's Around' feature of the WeChat app instead.

Thank you for the input. I'll look into it after I'm done with Badoo, which may be very soon. I like to check out these apps one at a time.

Ok, so you are expressing an opinion. It doesn't answer the questions in the OP, but thank you for your input.

The question remains: Does the free Badoo provide anything useful in terms of facilitating interesting, no-commitment encounters, or does one have to pay to upgrade?

Free badoo is cool, I don't know why you are having difficulties with it.

You should specify a search radius around your area and then take the time to play the "encounters" game, hit "like" for everyone who looks okay and within a few days you will have a list of matches to contact by message.

Free badoo is cool, I don't know why you are having difficulties with it.

You should specify a search radius around your area and then take the time to play the "encounters" game, hit "like" for everyone who looks okay and within a few days you will have a list of matches to contact by message.

Just reading in, the OP seems to say that you can't send a message to anyone on your list because the free version doesn't provide their messaging details. For that, you need the paid version. Making the free version little more than a tease.

Or am I misunderstanding?

I'm getting the "----- is interested in you" messages. However since I'm not paying for VIP or "superpowers", I can't check out the profiles of these women. So I've joined a hook-up service that tells me that women are interested but won't tell me who. What good is that?

As I posted earlier, the free service seems like nothing more than a teaser to get people to pay for service, or hand over personal data on friends.

Badoo seems worthless as a free service. Has anyone had a good experience using the free version? Free meaning not paying with money or personal data of friends.

Let get this straight then. You want it all for free and not willing to give anything in return. Got it.

I have to weigh in on this topic. I am both a very experienced traveler and also very experienced with internet sites that offer jobs, dates, and the like. For those who say use the old fashioned way, go for it. I have no criticism of anyone out there putting themselves on the line to meet someone they want to be in love with. It is not as easy as some of the writers here say it is regardless of your opinions. To meet a quality woman anywhere, well she will not normally be found walking down the street. As a foreigner we are all suspect to begin with in the minds of women with class and intelligence. If you want a bar girl or common girl then sure they are easy to find everywhere, and that is what most of us end up with and then complain because there are so many issues with them.

A professional, educated woman with some decent class will not normally even want to be approached in the street. They are much more discreet and selective because they can afford to be. It is not much different in the nine countries I have lived in which include
Europe, North, Central and South America, Vietnam and now here in Thailand.

Modern thinking is acceptable now and in fact some reports I read said that 60% or more of the marriages in North America alone started with internet connections of some type. Divorce rate is very very high for you old fashioned guys, so that is nothing to brag about. Divorce rate is rising in most all countries now with the easier access to more choices perhaps, without the understanding required to live with someone of another culture than our own. The same old problems exist wherever you are, problems with money, sex, religion, and infidelity.

As for Badoo, ThaiCupid, or other sites offering their services...I have checked most of the legitimate sites out carefully because I was an owner of a dating company which became one of the largest in the USA many years ago, and I was the founder of probably the first online dating service over 25 years ago. I also owned franchises in the largest dating service in the USA at one time.

They are certainly not for "losers" or people who cannot find a date otherwise. Many people join these sites because their lives are already filled with their work, family responsibilities or other time consuming issues. Badoo is no different in that respect. Sure you are going to find undesirables who have agendas other than being in love, who will take you for a ride anytime they can. This goes for men and women. Women complain that men contact them wanting citizenship papers, man say women only want money. So first of all these sites are not easy to use. I know none of them now that are worthwhile that are totally free. They are first and foremost a business that is part of a billion dollar industry, so you will pay because the owners of these sites have them up to make money as their priority. A site may make you a millionaire, plain and simple if it is run well.

So what can you find...Badoo, PlentyofFish, ThaiCupid are amongst the stronger sites with the most members. But you must avail yourself to paying a membership fee in order to make them work for you. Women in fact will pay little attention to you if you are not a paid member anyway. They view you as a loser who is not willing to invest in your life and so not paying has other perceptual differences to them as well.

It is all about a numbers game, whatever system you use, (old fashioned, internet, arranged, whatever) A well written profile, with good pictures that are not showing off your bare chest or stupid pictures that include ex girlfriends and the like get what they deserve. If you want to find a really good mate, it is more than possible. They are rare in fact, if you are very selective, but these sites offer you an opportunity to screen very carefully who you are talking with, through a process of elimination, and patience to find that one special woman out there. They are there somewhere like in real life. They are no loses, bar flies, looking for sugar daddies etc. as some of you have said. They are honest hard working, educated, professional women who simply have about given up on finding a quality mate and someone has suggested that they give a dating site a shot.

The big issue is that most of us are not willing to put any effort into these sites. We want instant gratification, now, and are looking for a quick fix to our aloneness and think this is the place to find that. In fact you can find that if that is all you want, but it would be the same a going out on the street and talking to a dozen women and asking them if they will have sex with you....

So Badoo is doing the right thing by screening members to insure that they are not freeloaders and just there for a rush. I personally am highly educated, semi retired, overweight, going bald, and nothing spectacular to look at. One site I used gave me over 300 "hits" within the first week, and sure it was an ego rush for an old fart like me. But I also realized most of those hits were just as some of you have described already...losers

So out of those 300 I got the number down to around 10 which seemed to be manageable for me to take the next step with which was to get to know them a little on the site, and then get them to change over to Skype where I could do video interviews with them, and get to know them better. From those 10 I was able to boil it down to the top three of my choice and then get it down to the "one." It admittedly takes a lot of time and energy, but the end result can be the perfect match for you if you just take your time, do not expect 25 things on a list of them, and understand the culture of the women you are dealing with. It is a joy, just like anywhere else once you make that connection. But nothing worth having in life is free, is what my mom told me and I think she was right.

I have to weigh in on this topic.

Yada yada yada.... (No disrespect intended, but I hate scrolling through quotes, sub-quotes and sub-sub quotes for pages on end.)

But nothing worth having in life is free, is what my mom told me and I think she was right.

A lot of what you've said is true, in fact- true to the point of platitude. Which also smacks of an exploitative (is that a word?) sales pitch and a pre-built in excuse to blame the poor sap who pays his money, puts in the effort, follows all the steps, and still ends up lonely:

1) You have to use the paid version to be taken seriously. (And if you really want to be taken seriously by the good ones, you need to get into the Triple Platinum Plus Program for a few $$$ hundred more)

2) If you don't succeed with the program, it's because YOU didn't put in the effort (not because our $$$ program made promises it can't possibly keep- like getting gorgeous dates for broke lepers who just spent their last 30 baht signing up)

Not much different than MLM and $$$$ Success Training Programs that prey on the hopes and dreams of people for money, love, success or whatever, take money from thousands, prove successful for dozens, and still leave thousands of poorer corpses at the side of the road.

Edit: And what's universally true- They make their money whether you succeed or not.

You are correct, I assumed in the OP that everyone who would be interested in this topic knew Badoo was a hook-up site. I only referred to it explicitly so after people indicated they thought it was a serious relationship site.

"Many people on his forum rave about Badoo. Are they raving about the free version, or the version that costs money or personal data about friends?

Isn't it clear that I am seeking the information from Badoo enthusiasts about the whether the free site is useful, and if so, how to get maximum benefit from it?

The subject is Badoo. I am seeking information from Badoo users. I am not seeking spiritual guidance on how to conduct my love life. If you are not a Badoo user, you don't have pertinent information.

I have never considered Badoo as a hook-up site.

I agree it is crap if you are on the free version, I've not paid so I can't tell you if it gets better.

I would imagine it doesn't, unless you have low standards and don't really care what the girl looks like, how good her English is or how well off her family are.

But seeing as you are not looking for a serious relationship, I don't suppose any of that matters to you.

Archived