Line account- no have

email- no have

Twitter - no have

Address - you can have it.

Date of birth- you already have it.

Name- you already have it.

Passport number, and expiration date.

that is all you are going to get.

And some people wonder why they always have issues dealing with the authorities. Note that it is not your right to get an extension or a visa, and the officer can make things quite difficult for you. If I was the officer I would either rip up the form and give a new one, or send you away and tell you to fill in the correct details and go to the back of the queue. Or come back tomorrow.

A little private rebellion may make you feel better, but it just makes things painful for everybody else in the queue too. They have to wait longer, and the officer will be in a bad mood.

For all of the officers you meet, who are basically just normal employees doing a tedious job, the form is also a pain in the bum. More work, more filing, more checking, more complaints, no more salary. They probably do not want the form either.

So just try and make it easier for everybody and fill in something plausible.

Actually, it is our right to get a visa, as granted by law. So long as we fulfill the requirements of the law. We also have the right to be treated fairly under the law, both as a natural right and a specific right codified in the Thai Licensing Facilitation Act.

A little private rebellion isn't a problem. The problem is that too many people cower and don't respectfully request their rights. The law is on our side. This is the age of the digital camera. Thai hate to lose face by being called out for being malfeasant.

I get that they have a tedious job, but that's no excuse for them not doing their jobs competently and at least trying to do it correctly.

There is no country in the World which provides a "right" to a visa or a "right" to be allowed to enter a country other than your own.

Seems you have a misplaced sense of entitlement !

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Read my article. That's pretty much exactly what I did. I refused to pay a fine that the shmucks from Kantang wanted to levy on me, and even presented my hands for cuffs and told them to arrest me. I walked out with my 90 day extension and no fine.

Seriously, people need to read the article. We have the legal authority to push back against this bullshit now. If they don't adhere to their own law, then they will lose major face. It also includes references to agencies for complaints.

http://diogeneticlight.blogspot.com/2016/04/thailands-licensing-facilitation-act-of.html

What 90 day extension were you applying for?

What immigration fine did you refuse too pay?

They refused to accept my 90 day by mail. Instead of contacting me, as the law requires, they wanted to play telephone through a teacher at my school. I told the teacher that I wasn't required to go in, I sent it by mail. They tried to give me a fine for not doing the 90 day. I think it was 2,000bht. I cited the law to immigration (at a different office) and invited them to arrest me. It's all in the story.

I was a little confused as to why immigration would be trying to fine someone granted a 90 day extension.

Penal Code Chapter 2 § 367

Any person who is required by a public officer to inform his name or address in the interest of the legal enforcement and refuses to so inform or maliciously gives false name or address shall be liable to a fine not exceeding one hundred baht.

No mention of other "Personal Information"

Pretty Stiff Penalty

Penal Code worth a read if you enjoy amusement!

This may be a stupid question but where can it be found in a understandable english prose? Is there a Web site address or can it be found someplace like a library (never seen one here but you never know)?

Try this: http://www.thailandlawonline.com/table-of-contents/criminal-law-translation-thailand-penal-code

This is a good resource for Acts and Decrees: http://www.thailaws.com

Thank you for this. There is also a page on TVF here that has links to the immigration and visa rules. I can't, for the life of me, figure out where it is though.

Could we maybe get these law links and the immigration & visa links put on a page that is easier to find?

I can only assume that most on here would prefer that Thailand adopted a visa application process similar to the UK. No visa exempt and a 12 page visa application form, not to mention supporting documents and the restrictions on long term stay.

Careful what you wish for.

Sorry, but it's not an apples and oranges comparison. The UK has their process set to screen people out. If they didn't then so many under-educated people would blood the UK and not be able to find work that the system would crash.

In Thailand, most foreigners are more highly educated and contribute more to the economy than the average native. They don't need to screen us as tightly as our home countries do.

We don't need a UK style system. We only want an honest one.

Are those "educated" ones the people found on bar stools and frequenting "go-go" places which are, of course only there to cater for the "intelligent", well educated foreigner ?

You are correct in only one thing ---------The UK is happy to see the back of such "educated" people and is not keen on allowing them to be replaced hence the sensible "screening" process !

I'm sorry that's your experience. What I see here are young teachers who come to teach for a year; refugees from South Africa, who are all teachers and mostly young; a few old retirees that seem to enjoy drinking beer in the heat; and quite a few family men who are here because of their families. I have no idea about the retiree's educational level. For the rest of the categories, nearly every person has a bachelor's degree from a western uni where they actually had to learn in order to graduate.

I can only assume that most on here would prefer that Thailand adopted a visa application process similar to the UK. No visa exempt and a 12 page visa application form, not to mention supporting documents and the restrictions on long term stay.

Sorry, but it's not an apples and oranges comparison. The UK has their process set to screen people out. If they didn't then so many under-educated people would blood the UK and not be able to find work that the system would crash.

In Thailand, most foreigners are more highly educated and contribute more to the economy than the average native. They don't need to screen us as tightly as our home countries do.

I presume by "blood" you mean "flood" and isn't that happening already, as forecast by Enoch Powell in his famous "Rivers of Blood speech? (Maybe that's where you got it from!)

Yeah, I didn't notice the typo until after I posted. I have to look up that speech now.

Are those "educated" ones the people found on bar stools and frequenting "go-go" places which are, of course only there to cater for the "intelligent", well educated foreigner ?

You are correct in only one thing ---------The UK is happy to see the back of such "educated" people and is not keen on allowing them to be replaced hence the sensible "screening" process !

I'm sorry that's your experience. What I see here are young teachers who come to teach for a year; refugees from South Africa, who are all teachers and mostly young; a few old retirees that seem to enjoy drinking beer in the heat; and quite a few family men who are here because of their families. I have no idea about the retiree's educational level. For the rest of the categories, nearly every person has a bachelor's degree from a western uni where they actually had to learn in order to graduate.

"What I see here are young teachers who come to teach for a year"

Really?

Would these "young teachers" be degree qualified Teachers with Teaching licences in their own countries ?

Or would they be fake,pretend, unqualified, back packer types with no real "teaching" knowledge or experience. Those who cannot obtain a relevant visa or Work Permit and are not recognised as Teachers by the Thai Teaching Council ?

Facebook account- no have

Line account- no have

email- no have

Twitter - no have

Address - you can have it.

Date of birth- you already have it.

Name- you already have it.

Passport number, and expiration date.

that is all you are going to get.

And some people wonder why they always have issues dealing with the authorities. Note that it is not your right to get an extension or a visa, and the officer can make things quite difficult for you. If I was the officer I would either rip up the form and give a new one, or send you away and tell you to fill in the correct details and go to the back of the queue. Or come back tomorrow.

A little private rebellion may make you feel better, but it just makes things painful for everybody else in the queue too. They have to wait longer, and the officer will be in a bad mood.

For all of the officers you meet, who are basically just normal employees doing a tedious job, the form is also a pain in the bum. More work, more filing, more checking, more complaints, no more salary. They probably do not want the form either.

So just try and make it easier for everybody and fill in something plausible.

Actually, it is our right to get a visa, as granted by law. So long as we fulfill the requirements of the law. We also have the right to be treated fairly under the law, both as a natural right and a specific right codified in the Thai Licensing Facilitation Act.

A little private rebellion isn't a problem. The problem is that too many people cower and don't respectfully request their rights. The law is on our side. This is the age of the digital camera. Thai hate to lose face by being called out for being malfeasant.

I get that they have a tedious job, but that's no excuse for them not doing their jobs competently and at least trying to do it correctly.

There is no country in the World which provides a "right" to a visa or a "right" to be allowed to enter a country other than your own.

Seems you have a misplaced sense of entitlement !

You'll see that this is not a sense of entitlement, but merely an accurate command of both the law and the English language.

Right

In an abstract sense, justice, ethical correctness, or harmony with the rules of law or the principles of morals. In a concrete legal sense, a power, privilege, demand, or claim possessed by a particular person by virtue of law.

Each legal right that an individual possesses relates to a corresponding legal duty imposed on another. For example, when a person owns a home and property, he has the right to possess and enjoy it free from the interference of others, who are under a corresponding duty not to interfere with the owner's rights by trespassing on the property or breaking into the home.

In Constitutional Law, rights are classified as natural, civil, and political. Natural rights are those that are believed to grow out of the nature of the individual human being and depend on her personality, such as the rights to life, liberty, privacy, and the pursuit of happiness.

Civil Rights are those that belong to every citizen of the state, and are not connected with the organization or administration of government. They include the rights of property, marriage, protection by law, freedom to contract, trial by jury, and the like. These rights are capable of being enforced or redressed in a civil action in a court.

Political rights entail the power to participate directly or indirectly in the establishment or administration of government, such as the right of citizenship, the right to vote, and the right to hold public office.

West's Encyclopedia of American Law, edition 2. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
right

1) n. an entitlement to something, whether to concepts like justice and due process, or to ownership of property or some interest in property, real or personal. These rights include various freedoms, protection against interference with enjoyment of life and property, civil rights enjoyed by citizens such as voting and access to the courts, natural rights accepted by civilized societies, human rights to protect people throughout the world from terror, torture, barbaric practices and deprivation of civil rights and profit from their labor, and such American constitutional guarantees as the right to freedoms of speech, press, religion, assembly and petition. 2) adj. just, fair, correct

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/right

Read my article. That's pretty much exactly what I did. I refused to pay a fine that the shmucks from Kantang wanted to levy on me, and even presented my hands for cuffs and told them to arrest me. I walked out with my 90 day extension and no fine.

Seriously, people need to read the article. We have the legal authority to push back against this bullshit now. If they don't adhere to their own law, then they will lose major face. It also includes references to agencies for complaints.

http://diogeneticlight.blogspot.com/2016/04/thailands-licensing-facilitation-act-of.html

They refused to accept my 90 day by mail. Instead of contacting me, as the law requires, they wanted to play telephone through a teacher at my school. I told the teacher that I wasn't required to go in, I sent it by mail. They tried to give me a fine for not doing the 90 day. I think it was 2,000bht. I cited the law to immigration (at a different office) and invited them to arrest me. It's all in the story.

I was a little confused as to why immigration would be trying to fine someone granted a 90 day extension.

The local office wanted to fine me because they didn't do their job with the 90 day. (They haven't liked me since I called them out for trying to extort some tea money from me a couple years ago.) The fine was in the system when I went to a different immigration office for the 90 day extension.

Really?

Would these "young teachers" be degree qualified Teachers with Teaching licences in their own countries ?

Or would they be fake,pretend, unqualified, back packer types with no real "teaching" knowledge or experience. Those who cannot obtain a relevant visa or Work Permit and are not recognised as Teachers by the Thai Teaching Council ?

If they have a recognised TEFL qualification and a degree, then they would be qualified to teach TEFL classes in their own countries.

No problem.

Open a bank account with 100 Baht. Give them (and only them) the account number and PIN code or whatever. If there are ever any attempts to withdraw money then you now where it comes from.

As for places visited:

make a long list of places and mix them .

Paragon Starbucks

Paragon Dairy Queen

Paragon Greyhound

Paragon McDonalds a

and many more places in Paragon

Tops Thong Lor,

Tops Sukhmvit 49

Tops Sukhumvit xxx

other Tops

Big C Rama 4

Big C Ekamai

Big C Ratchaprasong

Big C On Nut

other Big C's

+ others

Villa

Sukhumvit 23

Villa Thong Lor

and other branches

Bars

Robin Hood

Dubliner and so on

Chaeng wattana immigration bureau

List all the 7/11s you visit.

Make an email address : [email protected]

only use it for this purpose

Facebook : Likewise

Hospitals: I use 4 or 5

Drown them in information.

See how long it lasts

The local office wanted to fine me because they didn't do their job with the 90 day. (They haven't liked me since I called them out for trying to extort some tea money from me a couple years ago.) The fine was in the system when I went to a different immigration office for the 90 day extension.

You do not extend anything when making a 90 day report. If you stay in the country for more than 90 days you need to report your address to immigration. It has no affect on your permit to stay.

The law says that we must report in writing and that we can send it to the immigration office in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Director General. Has the Director General prescribed that we can send the report by mail?

IMO it is our responsibility to make sure a report is made, and there certainly isn't any law that requires immigration to contact anyone should a report be outstanding or rejected.

I have a problem understanding the purpose of this form.

Most of the information asked is already a matter of record in the case of those here on extensions of stay.

Asking about the names of my long deceased parents is pathetic

I was asked for that parents thing in my Amphur and, as well as that, the married & maiden names of my sisters one deceased over 20 years ago and full name of my first wife 43 years ago, back home. Oh and as well, last week on a health insurance application form. The Thais seem to collect this information like the Mormons do. Maybe it is to baptize all our ancestors to be Buddhists as well as being baptized as Mormons. Most of this information is already known but much of this arcane detail is the kind of stuff an identity thief would love to have to bolster his legitimacy. That is the worry of this sort of form and those recent information security breaches

PS A repeat of someone else's question. "Where is UbonJoe on this?" Did I miss him on one of the pages?

It just amazes me that our embassy types sit on their polished pants and do nothing to help us. All they do is give us this blah blah blah about obeying the rules of a foreign country. They want us good little consumers who do have money to spend to stay at home and boost the local economy.

What would you like your embassy to do about this form, Fill it in for you ?

No silly just make their lips move and inform the Thai government and immigration that this is an ILLEGAL FORM. Capish

What is "Illegal" about the form ?

A detailed response please, fully referenced to the Thai Law about "illegal forms"

cheesy.gif

Would 8 pages, single spaced, with quotes, citiations, and a direct link to the official Thai to English translation fo the law suffice?

Here ya go:

What would you like your embassy to do about this form, Fill it in for you ?

No silly just make their lips move and inform the Thai government and immigration that this is an ILLEGAL FORM. Capish

Why is it illegal?

It's your choice whether or not to complete it.

Of course it is! And it is also the Immigration Officer's choice whether to grant you a visa or extension or whatever you went in there for in the first place!

They don't have as much discretion anymore. It's been curtailed by the new law. Now, that doesn't mean that some will try ot carry on as usual - acting as a law unto themselves. There will be some adjustment period.

However, when I started citing the Licensing Facilitation act, I noticed an immediate change with the immigration officer. (I don't think this officer was trying to be unfair, but her whole demeanor changed when I started quoting the law.) She listened and had a real conversation with me. It was like she realized that, maybe for the first time, a foreigner came in who really knew the rules.

It just amazes me that our embassy types sit on their polished pants and do nothing to help us. All they do is give us this blah blah blah about obeying the rules of a foreign country. They want us good little consumers who do have money to spend to stay at home and boost the local economy.

I had a chat with the consul of my country and he informed me that the embassy is filing a official complaint to the Thai government.

So not all embassies are sitting on there polished pants. :-)

If more embassies would do this maybe something can be changed.

Really?

Wow, you are out of your league and out of line on this.

First, these are recent college grads, mostly from the US. Honestly, I have never met the proverbial backpacker that would keep moving from one place to the next every few months since I've been here. A co-worker worked with one about 6 or 7 years ago, but those types are pretty much a thing of the past around here.

Second, what is this insane fetish with teaching licenses in home countries? I've worked with a couple people that had teaching licenses from their home countries. One was a 20 year veteran who had taught all over the world in some very rural and poor areas. She only lasted a semester because the system here is so pathetic. To date, every teacher that I've asked the question, "has your certification (ed degree, PGCE, or TESOL) assisted you in any way as a teacher in Thailand? To a person, they have all responded with a resounding "No." I have only used small portions of my TESOL training to help with classes.

Further, any formal teaching credentials are of very limited value because of several systemic failures in the education system here. First, there is a failure of placement. It is normal to have abilities range from near fluent to unable to say "I'm fine, thank you, and you?" within a single classroom. There is just no possible way to design materials that will provide meaningful educational experiences for even a simple majority of students with that much variance.

Second, there is a failure of curriculum. There should be some type of nationwide standards (or at least aspirational goals) and expectations of what material kids should cover in each grade level. They don't even want us to teach vocabulary, but we have no lists of vocabulary or topical subjects that they should have covered. When a large majority of the speaking teachers are new each year, how can they plan meaningful learning activites without some type of guideline?

Third, there is a failure of accountability. Because of the social pass system, the kids are basically guaranteed a 1.0 minimum grade, even if they skip class all semester. (Of 400 students, it's common to have about 50 who skip so often that they shouldn't be allowed to take the exam. However, if we do that, then we are blamed for the students not showing up. Every time I informed my admin about kids skipping, however, they didn't do anything to remedy the problem except talk about "Thai culture" and how we have to look after the children . . . blah, blah, blah.) I was even told once, for an English Program that, if a kid couldn't pass the exam after taking it several times (we had to change the exam each time, so we made it easier, yet they still couldn't pass) that we could just tell the kid to bring some flowers into the school and write 2 or 3 sentences about the flowers, then pass them. How is that, in any way whatsoever, related to what they were supposed to have studied and learned?

Fourth, there is a failure to coordinate. The textbooks that most Thai teachers use for grammar are really bad sources for teaching speaking and listening. They drill way too fine of grammar points for the speaking/listening teachers to give meainingful practice with. Also, they go too fast through the grammar points. The kids never spend enough time on most aspects of the language to have a decent grasp of the grammar before they are asked to speak the words. The result is kids who are confused and frustrated.

Fifth, there is a failure of discipline. The kids know that the farang teachers won't really do anything if they misbehave, or skip, or cheat, etc. If we report it, we get lectured about "Thai Culture" or told that we "have to manage our classrooms better." They provide no support to manage a classroom, however, when kids can misbehave, skip, cheat, fail, and just not even bother to write the test and still pass.

I could go on, but I think this is enough on systemic failures.

Finally, I have never worked with anyone who did not get their license from the TCT. Your list of pejoratives to describe the people who try to teach here are factually incorrect. Further, they are just rude and out of line. The overwhelming majority of foreign teachers I've worked with work very hard to provide good learning opportunites for the kids here. It's not their fault that the system is designed for failure.

Again, you are way out of line.

You do not extend anything when making a 90 day report. If you stay in the country for more than 90 days you need to report your address to immigration. It has no affect on your permit to stay.

The law says that we must report in writing and that we can send it to the immigration office in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Director General. Has the Director General prescribed that we can send the report by mail?

IMO it is our responsibility to make sure a report is made, and there certainly isn't any law that requires immigration to contact anyone should a report be outstanding or rejected.

I know that extensions and 90 day reports are different. Perhaps I should have split that into separate paragraphs? Sorry if I confused you.

I sent my report in by mail, but the local office has a grudge against me. (Perhaps it's my fault. Maybe I should have just paid the bribe instead of calling them out on their corruption.)

Yes, it is our responsibility to ensure that a report is made.

There is, however, a law that requires immigration to provide applicants with a written list of application defects if the application is not sufficient to give the license. (In this context, license includes our 90 day reports.) It is called the Licensing Facilitation Act of 2015. I wrote a nice little analysis of it here:

So the ugly whale resurfaces at Phuket shores.

Hope it takes long for this stupidity/wastepaper production to reach upcountry bah.gif

EDIT: deleted reference to an (older) PDF version of the form.

Looks like it has been edited/revised in the meantime.

One of my Filipino friends arrived by Air Asia from KL today at Chiang Mai. He was given one of these forms and made complete it BEFORE they would stamp him entry

They randomly selected people and he was upset.

Loves Thailand but says he will not be coming back because of this

he felt Imtimidated

I agree and i am off soon having sold my car and house in a week

See not everyone comes with money and leaves it here :)

As I leave I would really LOVE to say what I think of the place now compared to when I started coming 20 years ago and what it was like even 5 years and 4 years ago. But hey, I do want to go

I will write a FACEBOOK and LINE entry then~! And as I don't have either I will open one especially for PRAYUTH

I know that extensions and 90 day reports are different. Perhaps I should have split that into separate paragraphs? Sorry if I confused you.

I sent my report in by mail, but the local office has a grudge against me. (Perhaps it's my fault. Maybe I should have just paid the bribe instead of calling them out on their corruption.)

Yes, it is our responsibility to ensure that a report is made.

There is, however, a law that requires immigration to provide applicants with a written list of application defects if the application is not sufficient to give the license. (In this context, license includes our 90 day reports.) It is called the Licensing Facilitation Act of 2015. I wrote a nice little analysis of it here:

I understand that you sent it by mail, but where is your evidence that they have to accept it?

A 90 day report in not an application for anything so how does this Licensing Act apply?

How do you know that the Immigration Bureau is governed by this law? And if they are why has there been no change to Immigration practice since the law was enacted nearly a year ago?

The way that I read it is that they were trying to impose a fine because they refused to accept the application by mail, so as far as they were concerned he had not been given a 90 day extension, hence the threatened 2000 baht fine.

Asking for details like Bank Accounts and other Private details is an infringement of the Privacy laws as written in the Court of La Haye and many other instances to protect the individual for misbehavior.

This is showing the TRUE face of a country ruled by a Junta which has totally no power anymore.

Thailand is going the wrong path with their rules.

Taking the wrong path? Would that not depend on where the this self administration wish to go.

No problem.

Open a bank account with 100 Baht. Give them (and only them) the account number and PIN code or whatever. If there are ever any attempts to withdraw money then you now where it comes from.

The form is not asking for the pin number so why would you give it to them ?

No problem.

I said "PIN code or whatever".

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that they were asking for PIN codes (I don't believe that).

What I mean to say is open bank accounts, emails, usernames or whatever specially for this form.

I have disposable emails for many websites. I receive so much spam on some of them. It would be interesting to see what would happen to an email account only for immigration.

No problem.

I said "PIN code or whatever".

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that they were asking for PIN codes (I don't believe that).

What I mean to say is open bank accounts, emails, usernames or whatever specially for this form.

I have disposable emails for many websites. I receive so much spam on some of them. It would be interesting to see what would happen to an email account only for immigration.

Absolutely nothing would happen on that email account.

Archived