New personal details form arrives at Phuket Immigration

rooster59

I can only assume that most on here would prefer that Thailand adopted a visa application process similar to the UK. No visa exempt and a 12 page visa application form, not to mention supporting documents and the restrictions on long term stay.

Careful what you wish for.

Sorry, but it's not an apples and oranges comparison. The UK has their process set to screen people out. If they didn't then so many under-educated people would blood the UK and not be able to find work that the system would crash.

In Thailand, most foreigners are more highly educated and contribute more to the economy than the average native. They don't need to screen us as tightly as our home countries do.

We don't need a UK style system. We only want an honest one.

Are those "educated" ones the people found on bar stools and frequenting "go-go" places which are, of course only there to cater for the "intelligent", well educated foreigner ?

You are correct in only one thing ---------The UK is happy to see the back of such "educated" people and is not keen on allowing them to be replaced hence the sensible "screening" process !

I'm sorry that's your experience. What I see here are young teachers who come to teach for a year; refugees from South Africa, who are all teachers and mostly young; a few old retirees that seem to enjoy drinking beer in the heat; and quite a few family men who are here because of their families. I have no idea about the retiree's educational level. For the rest of the categories, nearly every person has a bachelor's degree from a western uni where they actually had to learn in order to graduate.

Whatever educational qualifications the retirees have is irrelevant.

They "made it". They have earned enough money to retire here.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No problem.

Open a bank account with 100 Baht. Give them (and only them) the account number and PIN code or whatever. If there are ever any attempts to withdraw money then you now where it comes from.

The form is not asking for the pin number so why would you give it to them ?

I said "PIN code or whatever".

Someone mentioned in an earlier thread that they were asking for PIN codes (I don't believe that).

What I mean to say is open bank accounts, emails, usernames or whatever specially for this form.

I have disposable emails for many websites. I receive so much spam on some of them. It would be interesting to see what would happen to an email account only for immigration.

Maybe you should go to the supermarket and buy a roll of tin foil and make yourself a pretty hat with it.

I take it the 'other' line under social media is where we put our Thai Visa user names?

I don't think (means i don't know) that TV is regarded as social media. I put the car and my motorbike in my partners name, less agro for her when i kick the bucket, which i presume means i don't have to give any information regarding vehicles.

Not sure about that either, but as we are participating in an open discussion on the internet, i would (my interpretation) imagine TV would be classed as social media.

Depends how much it is monitored and how threatened the watchers feel, IMO..........................wink.png

my gf is Cambodian

Information of Community Leader (for national of Laos PDR, Cambodia, Myanmar and Vietnam)e needs

Name __________________ Surname __________________ Middle __________________ Occupation ________________
Address No. _____________ Village No. ________________ Soi, Lane _______________ Road _______________________
Sub-district ____________________ District, City ____________________ Region, Province, State ____________________
Country _________________________ Telephone Number _______________ Mobile phone Number

??? how are they going to check this>

we need a thai and western persons info as well?? How does this work if u do ur 90 day report online?

It just amazes me that our embassy types sit on their polished pants and do nothing to help us. All they do is give us this blah blah blah about obeying the rules of a foreign country. They want us good little consumers who do have money to spend to stay at home and boost the local economy.

When was the last time any embassy from the western countries did anything for their citizens other than make them wait in line and say "sorry we couldn't be of service "?

All one needs to do is examine the world's history to see where this is going...

It does seem rather worrisome. If things continue this way I way move to Laos or somewhere, the fact a communist state seems like the better option is quite striking in itself.

I had lived in Bangkok 9 years on a retirement visa. For many reasons, including living on a junta military, I moved to Cebu city, Philippines . I've been here now 8 months. The most friendly people. It's more fun in the Philippines. I will never go back to live in Thailand anymore

In the Philippines you can stay on a tourist visa 3 years WITHOUT leaving the country. All you have to do is going to the immigration every 6 months, give them 10,000 baht and voila. Nothing more to do. And the whole process at the immigration is less than 1 hour. Also PhilHealth is an insurance to cover you from illness and accident. It cost only 2,000 baht for 1 year

question; i assume ( and hopefully)

this ONLY has to be completed once?

same as Notification of Residence for Aliens

According to the HR dept here this forms needs to be submitted (along with a new photo) with every 90 day reporting.

According to the HR dept here this forms needs to be submitted (along with a new photo) with every 90 day reporting.

Are you sure about that? A photo has never been required for 90 day reports.

Are you suggesting that you would need to upload a photo, and submit this new form when completing the 90 day report online?

I think that maybe your HR department is confusing 90 day reports with annual extensions of stay.

Are you suggesting that you would need to upload a photo, and submit this new form when completing the 90 day report online?

I think that maybe your HR department is confusing 90 day reports with annual extensions of stay.

Why would the HR dept here confuse 90 day reports with extensions ?

This new form requires a photo. They claim this form needs to be submitted every time I submit the 90 day reporting form.

To date (to my knowledge) this new form is not part of the online 90 day reporting process so if you do not want to fill out the form than you had best do your reporting online.

I have a problem understanding the purpose of this form.

Most of the information asked is already a matter of record in the case of those here on extensions of stay.

Asking about the names of my long deceased parents is pathetic

Yes they have most of the information already.

I don't think it's a case of "the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing", it's more, "the left hand doesn't even know there is a right hand".

Facebook account- no have

Line account- no have

email- no have

Twitter - no have

Address - you can have it.

Date of birth- you already have it.

Name- you already have it.

Passport number, and expiration date.

that is all you are going to get.

And some people wonder why they always have issues dealing with the authorities. Note that it is not your right to get an extension or a visa, and the officer can make things quite difficult for you. If I was the officer I would either rip up the form and give a new one, or send you away and tell you to fill in the correct details and go to the back of the queue. Or come back tomorrow.

A little private rebellion may make you feel better, but it just makes things painful for everybody else in the queue too. They have to wait longer, and the officer will be in a bad mood.

For all of the officers you meet, who are basically just normal employees doing a tedious job, the form is also a pain in the bum. More work, more filing, more checking, more complaints, no more salary. They probably do not want the form either.

So just try and make it easier for everybody and fill in something plausible.

Actually, it is our right to get a visa, as granted by law. So long as we fulfill the requirements of the law. We also have the right to be treated fairly under the law, both as a natural right and a specific right codified in the Thai Licensing Facilitation Act.

A little private rebellion isn't a problem. The problem is that too many people cower and don't respectfully request their rights. The law is on our side. This is the age of the digital camera. Thai hate to lose face by being called out for being malfeasant.

I get that they have a tedious job, but that's no excuse for them not doing their jobs competently and at least trying to do it correctly.

Thank you. A voice of reason is a beautiful thing. You are right. A small amount of resistance, is a good thing, when it comes to silly policy. I am not advocating breaking any laws. Just resisting supplying information that is not mandatory, is all. And Ajahnski is correct. This is a right. We are bringing alot to the table. We are adding much needed diversity to the culture. We are bringing in, and spending far more money than the average Thai, thereby stimulating the economy in our own little way. We are law abiding. We cause no problems. Why should this not be our right?

Lastly, data mining through social media is a method the NSA, the CIA, the FBI, the Mossad, and others have been using for some time now. Thailand is just catching on to this. Those other agencies spend millions of dollars annually doing the discovery work required to get to those resources. Why should be provide them, gratis? What is the reasoning behind such a surrender or information? While we might succumb to an occasional vendor who uses the line, I have very little money, that does not apply to the army here. They have a fortune. They have a nearly unlimited budget. So, why provide this information for free? Voluntarily, if it is not required by law? At least not yet.

I have a problem understanding the purpose of this form.

Most of the information asked is already a matter of record in the case of those here on extensions of stay.

Asking about the names of my long deceased parents is pathetic

There must be a reason for the question. This very same question is also on visa application forms for Thai visiting Schengen countries, and i would presume UK and USA as well.

So what is the point of this question? I would presume background information on the applicant, but am very open to different ideas.

This new form requires a photo. They claim this form needs to be submitted every time I submit the 90 day reporting form.

To date (to my knowledge) this new form is not part of the online 90 day reporting process so if you do not want to fill out the form than you had best do your reporting online.

I think your HR department does not know how and when this form will be required, same as everybody else has no clue yet. I even think Thai immigration themselves does not know yet, see the flipflopping on the subject.

I think your HR department does not know how and when this form will be required, same as everybody else has no clue yet. I even think Thai immigration themselves does not know yet, see the flipflopping on the subject.

That might well be the case but we have one person in HR that liaises directly with one-stop on a daily basis and the form I have linked and the requirement for this form to be submitted every 90 days is information that has come from them. The person in HR is just passing long the details.

My next report is due at the end of next month, I guess I will find out then what the go is. Maybe they will not allow me to do it online and force me to fill out this form.

If a foreigner doesnt want to fill in their information by themselves, they will be questioned for our records anyway. If they dont fill in the form, we will suspect their reason, Chachaval was quoted as saying in Phuket News.

SEE ALSO: Thailand asking foreigners for bank account, social media, and hangout details

Apart from social media and account details, the three-page form asks for foreigners contact numbers and email addresses, vehicle registration, and places frequented by the foreigner.

In the form, visitors were warned that: Providing false information to an officer, shall be punishable under the Penal Code.

According to the paper, the form covers most types of applications for foreigners.

This form shall be used for making record of information of every alien entering and staying in the Kingdom of Thailand and shall be submit with Notification of residences for Aliens (section 37, 38 of Immigration Act, BE, 2522), or 90-days notification, or Extension of Stays (all purposes), or Re-entry Permits, or in all cases involving alien labors, the header reads.

However, Chachaval did not confirm whether failure to provide certain information would form a basis for applications to be rejected and clarified that the social media account details was optional. He said all other sections were mandatory.

We will not force people to provide their social media details, he said.

Do we honestly think we know what was going through the mind of this man? "If a foreigner does not want to provide the information, they will be questioned for our records anyway. But, we will not force people to provide their social media details". I am not confident this is the case. In the US, social media is one of the largest data mining areas for the NSA, the FBI, and other authorities. Are we moving in that direction here? In the US they spend hundreds of millions of dollars finding and collecting that data. Here, they appear to just want us to give it to them, saving them great expense in finding it, should they choose to do so.

I refuse to fill out their form and they can suspect this 78 year fart for as long as they want.

I refuse to fill out their form and they can suspect this 78 year fart for as long as they want.

Make sure all you affairs are in order just incase you find yourself in the predicament of having to leave the country that same day.

Do tourists entering on a visa exempt need to fill this in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No BUT they may be asked to complete it if applying for a 30 day extension of stay.

Ok thanks

The local office wanted to fine me because they didn't do their job with the 90 day. (They haven't liked me since I called them out for trying to extort some tea money from me a couple years ago.) The fine was in the system when I went to a different immigration office for the 90 day extension.

You do not extend anything when making a 90 day report. If you stay in the country for more than 90 days you need to report your address to immigration. It has no affect on your permit to stay.

The law says that we must report in writing and that we can send it to the immigration office in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Director General. Has the Director General prescribed that we can send the report by mail?

IMO it is our responsibility to make sure a report is made, and there certainly isn't any law that requires immigration to contact anyone should a report be outstanding or rejected.

I know that extensions and 90 day reports are different. Perhaps I should have split that into separate paragraphs? Sorry if I confused you.

I sent my report in by mail, but the local office has a grudge against me. (Perhaps it's my fault. Maybe I should have just paid the bribe instead of calling them out on their corruption.)

Yes, it is our responsibility to ensure that a report is made.

There is, however, a law that requires immigration to provide applicants with a written list of application defects if the application is not sufficient to give the license. (In this context, license includes our 90 day reports.) It is called the Licensing Facilitation Act of 2015. I wrote a nice little analysis of it here:

http://diogeneticlight.blogspot.com/2016/04/thailands-licensing-facilitation-act-of.html

I understand that you sent it by mail, but where is your evidence that they have to accept it?

A 90 day report in not an application for anything so how does this Licensing Act apply?

How do you know that the Immigration Bureau is governed by this law? And if they are why has there been no change to Immigration practice since the law was enacted nearly a year ago?

Your first question is a little ambiguous with 'evidence that they have to accept it'? By 'have', are you asking if they did accept it, or if they must accept it? Both are in the blog post above. The did accept it because they called a teacher in my school to pass me a verbal message about it. They must either accept it or provide a written list of defects in the application. It's all in the blog post.

(Also, playing telephone with a coworker teacher of mine is not allowed as an acceptable form of communication by the Licensing Act, and it's pathetically unprofessional. It would come off as informal and helpful if the officers in this office were decent people, but they arent'. They are notorious for making up rules and extorting tea money.)

This is why a 90 day report is an application for a license. First, the term license, as used in the act, specifically includes the acceptance of notices, and it makes clear that the acceptance of notices is a license in 2 separate sections of the Act. An application, in legal terminology, is the process or document used to request something, which would be a license here.

Further, sect 3 is a strong override that makes it apply to the entire govt with the exceptions of just a few narrow areas under sect 5. That's why immigration is covered by the law. I didn't go into sect 5 in the blog post b/c I didn't want to get to technical and use even more space with irrelevancies. It's all in the blog post. Have you had a chance to read it? (I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but was the language clear enough? I was trying to find a balance between all the tecnicalities of legal drafting and normal, everyday speech.)

Also, there were signs up in the Satun office that showed the approximate amount of time that applicants should expect the process to take. They looked brand new, and they were covering the requirements of the law with those signs. When I started to quote the law, I started by saying "the Licensing Facilitation Act of 2015 requires . . . " As soon as I said that, I could see immediate recognition by the govt officer I was speaking with. I have no doubt that they know about this law.

As to why there are no changes . . . First, I would say that there are some changes, though, obviously, not enough. In law, we call this a procedureal law. It doesn't say what is right or wrong (or what must be accepted and what must be rejected), but only how to act while deciding right (accept) or wrong (reject). This law is telling them to change not just a couple behaviors, but a whole range of behaviors. This many different behaviors add up to a cultural shift. If we know anything about Thailand, then we know these two things. First, nobody wants to ever be accountable for anything. Two, they will use "Thai Culture" as an excuse not to be held accountable. The very set of behaviors (or cultural attitudes) that this law requires officers to change are the very same behaviors (cultural attitudes) that prevent the change itself!

Part of the change must also come from us farang. I understand that the overall education level is quite low here. There are still a significant number of kids that will never be educated beyond 6 years, or P6 here. With such a low educational level, we have many people who have never really developed critical thinking skills. That's a major reason why people are always ready to defer to the person in charge, since the guy in charge is supposed to be more able and smarter. However, if we actually know the law and (politely) challenge them to adhere to their country's laws, we help them to make this cultural change.

(Before anyone tries to attack me for Thai bashing, the lack of critical reasoning skills is a complaint that I hear levied against US college grads too. It's not an isolated problem. However, the actual critique in the US is that critical reasoning skills aren't developed fully enough. Here, I don't even see them asking the question of whether or not they will teach critical reasoning.)

I was a little confused as to why immigration would be trying to fine someone granted a 90 day extension.

They refused to accept my 90 day by mail. Instead of contacting me, as the law requires, they wanted to play telephone through a teacher at my school. I told the teacher that I wasn't required to go in, I sent it by mail. They tried to give me a fine for not doing the 90 day. I think it was 2,000bht. I cited the law to immigration (at a different office) and invited them to arrest me. It's all in the story.

The way that I read it is that they were trying to impose a fine because they refused to accept the application by mail, so as far as they were concerned he had not been given a 90 day extension, hence the threatened 2000 baht fine.

Sure, as far as they were concerned. That would be fine if the legal standard were whatever they felt like doing. However, the Licensing Facilitation Act sets the standard here. As far as the law of Thailand is concerned, the officers at the old office not only failed to meet the standards, it appears as though they are completely disregarding the standard and the law.

When I presented my hands and told them to arrest me, but I refused to pay that fine, the officer at the new office became visibly worried. (Why else would I quote the law to her and freely challenge them to arrest me if I wasn't absolutely confident that (1) I am correct on the law, and (2) that I would win if they did try to arrest me? I'm pretty sure that they were making the same calculation.)

Again, read the blog post. If you don't beleive me, read the law. I have a link to the official English translation from the Thai government in the blog. I will warn you though, it is drafted in the typical legalese of legal drafting. It's a pain in the butt to read, and some parts of it are probably unintelligible if you haven't learned the in's and out's of reading legal code.

http://diogeneticlight.blogspot.com/2016/04/thailands-licensing-facilitation-act-of.html

All one needs to do is examine the world's history to see where this is going...

It does seem rather worrisome. If things continue this way I way move to Laos or somewhere, the fact a communist state seems like the better option is quite striking in itself.

I had lived in Bangkok 9 years on a retirement visa. For many reasons, including living on a junta military, I moved to Cebu city, Philippines . I've been here now 8 months. The most friendly people. It's more fun in the Philippines. I will never go back to live in Thailand anymore

In the Philippines you can stay on a tourist visa 3 years WITHOUT leaving the country. All you have to do is going to the immigration every 6 months, give them 10,000 baht and voila. Nothing more to do. And the whole process at the immigration is less than 1 hour. Also PhilHealth is an insurance to cover you from illness and accident. It cost only 2,000 baht for 1 year

Wow! What a great deal! I pay 1,900 Baht for a year extension and you think 10,000 Baht every 6 months is good?

Facebook account- no have

Line account- no have

email- no have

Twitter - no have

Address - you can have it.

Date of birth- you already have it.

Name- you already have it.

Passport number, and expiration date.

that is all you are going to get.

And some people wonder why they always have issues dealing with the authorities. Note that it is not your right to get an extension or a visa, and the officer can make things quite difficult for you. If I was the officer I would either rip up the form and give a new one, or send you away and tell you to fill in the correct details and go to the back of the queue. Or come back tomorrow.

A little private rebellion may make you feel better, but it just makes things painful for everybody else in the queue too. They have to wait longer, and the officer will be in a bad mood.

For all of the officers you meet, who are basically just normal employees doing a tedious job, the form is also a pain in the bum. More work, more filing, more checking, more complaints, no more salary. They probably do not want the form either.

Actually, it is our right to get a visa, as granted by law. So long as we fulfill the requirements of the law. We also have the right to be treated fairly under the law, both as a natural right and a specific right codified in the Thai Licensing Facilitation Act.

A little private rebellion isn't a problem. The problem is that too many people cower and don't respectfully request their rights. The law is on our side. This is the age of the digital camera. Thai hate to lose face by being called out for being malfeasant.

I get that they have a tedious job, but that's no excuse for them not doing their jobs competently and at least trying to do it correctly.

Thank you. A voice of reason is a beautiful thing. You are right. A small amount of resistance, is a good thing, when it comes to silly policy. I am not advocating breaking any laws. Just resisting supplying information that is not mandatory, is all. And Ajahnski is correct. This is a right. We are bringing alot to the table. We are adding much needed diversity to the culture. We are bringing in, and spending far more money than the average Thai, thereby stimulating the economy in our own little way. We are law abiding. We cause no problems. Why should this not be our right?

Lastly, data mining through social media is a method the NSA, the CIA, the FBI, the Mossad, and others have been using for some time now. Thailand is just catching on to this. Those other agencies spend millions of dollars annually doing the discovery work required to get to those resources. Why should be provide them, gratis? What is the reasoning behind such a surrender or information? While we might succumb to an occasional vendor who uses the line, I have very little money, that does not apply to the army here. They have a fortune. They have a nearly unlimited budget. So, why provide this information for free? Voluntarily, if it is not required by law? At least not yet.

Thank you!

wai.gifwai2.gifthumbsup.gifwai2.gifwai.gif

It's nice to see that reason and the rule of lost are not completely forgotten concepts!

Thank you!

wai.gifwai2.gifthumbsup.gifwai2.gifwai.gif

It's nice to see that reason and the rule of lost are not completely forgotten concepts!

Not forgotten? Only by the people that are supposed to know.

Let's hope spidermike (even though following the law) doesn't run in to any vindictiveness next extension.

That might well be the case but we have one person in HR that liaises directly with one-stop on a daily basis and the form I have linked and the requirement for this form to be submitted every 90 days is information that has come from them. The person in HR is just passing long the details.

My next report is due at the end of next month, I guess I will find out then what the go is. Maybe they will not allow me to do it online and force me to fill out this form.

Keep in mind that nobody know whats going on here, including the Thai officers, because this form and requirement is completely illegal! That's why there is no official form number; why some offices use it, some don't, and some use it once in a while; and why you don't get real clear answers.

Everyone is confused because there are no directions on how to use this form in the policy manual (that is required in every office by law). That's becuase this is some made up form by a general who is treating immigration as his personal fiefdom. It's not in the manual becuase it was never properly approved.

As to the HR person passing along the details, it's probably because nobody is taught critical reasoning here. If some officer, especially of higher rank, tells them to do something, then they just do it. I saw it with my admin in the schools the last two years. They aren't willing to push back against the corrupt beaurocrats, but, when we do, they back down.

Another posted stated, turn wanting front and BACK of his amt card,,!? that REEEKS of nefarious purposes,, 1,, there's no need for the front,, let alone the security code on the back,,, years ago credit card companies told me never hand out your credit card to a waiter or such at a store, restaurant, etc,, as that was EXACTLY how your account would be compromised,, the waiter, etc would then sell that info,, they told me that was the most common way for your card to be compromised,, in fact they told me if a waiter or clerk ever turn your card over to look at the back to immediately contact their manager,, so with this new info they now know where Joe Farlang hangs out,, how much he has in his account etc, etc,, that's very very scary info for corrupt officials say a policeman to have, as they have been known to kidnap wealthy individuals and ransom them,, this pertinent info just narrows their field down to certain individuals,,, I mean why bother extorting someone who has little money, let's find someone who does,

That was my post, and I agree,

I pointed out why this was not a good idea (from my POV), but the 'rules' change so regularly (and depending on the person involved) - I quickly realised it was a pointless discussion. Far better to just provide the photocopies and cancel the card.

And somehow get someone to bring a replacement card out here for you from your home country, or pay a substantial amount of money for it to be sent here by courier?

Sorry to take so long to respond - my modem was destroyed (yet again...) by a distant storm.

I provided proof of income details, so gave them copies of my Thai bank ATM card. Easy to replace and only costs 100 bht.

Keep in mind that nobody know whats going on here, including the Thai officers, because this form and requirement is completely illegal! That's why there is no official form number; why some offices use it, some don't, and some use it once in a while; and why you don't get real clear answers.

Everyone is confused because there are no directions on how to use this form in the policy manual (that is required in every office by law). That's becuase this is some made up form by a general who is treating immigration as his personal fiefdom. It's not in the manual becuase it was never properly approved.

As to the HR person passing along the details, it's probably because nobody is taught critical reasoning here. If some officer, especially of higher rank, tells them to do something, then they just do it. I saw it with my admin in the schools the last two years. They aren't willing to push back against the corrupt beaurocrats, but, when we do, they back down.

Pretty much black and white if you ask me.

If my HR person is told by immigration that the expat employees must fill the form in then guess what, I will fill the form in BUT. I will attempt the online reporting first and see if the form is required there.

Given the immi xtranet seems to be non functioning off late I wonder if infact this form is being added online.

Wow! What a great deal! I pay 1,900 Baht for a year extension and you think 10,000 Baht every 6 months is good?

I prefer to pay for having the peace of mind. Thailand now is not the land of smile anymore, far from that

Archived