New personal details form arrives at Phuket Immigration

rooster59

I have a problem understanding the purpose of this form.

Most of the information asked is already a matter of record in the case of those here on extensions of stay.

Asking about the names of my long deceased parents is pathetic

There must be a reason for the question. This very same question is also on visa application forms for Thai visiting Schengen countries, and i would presume UK and USA as well.

So what is the point of this question? I would presume background information on the applicant, but am very open to different ideas.

It's not on the current Schengen form (for a short term visit anyway) but it is required on the UK application for some reason. I've just completed both for the GF.

What is annoying is that certain data is retained on the UK application so you don't have to fill it in every year, but parents names, DOBs etc isn't. It's not as though you're going to change your parents, is it?

I wonder how often this new form will have to be completed. Once, or every year?

My extension is due in a couple of weeks so I'll experience first-hand what's going on.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be nice if someone who works at immigration or who's been there recently posted their experience instead of all this guess work

Merijn gave the information some pages ago.

As with all these so-called infringements of civil liberty, if you're a law-abider, you have very little to worry about. Sure, I get it that many people have no desire to give out personal information for no good reason, but when was there ever a good reason for most things that happen in the LOS?

There's nothing in that form that bothers me one iota. If it bothers you, just set up a new FB account or join Twitter and never use it. Email addresses are ten a penny, and so on. If you already have a bank account, you can go to your bank tomorrow and ask to set up another account with the same name and put a few Baht in it. The form only requires details of one bank account.

Yes, it’s a farce and a very minor inconvenience, but it's hardly going to give me a heart attack or make me pack my bags and leave.

Living in Thailand is a trade-off - if you don't like all these petty regulations and tin pot tyrants, then obviously the trade-off is not working for you, so maybe you'd be better slink off back to dark, cold miserable chaotic Europe or to Trump's America….smile.png

As with all these so-called infringements of civil liberty, if you're a law-abider, you have very little to worry about. Sure, I get it that many people have no desire to give out personal information for no good reason, but when was there ever a good reason for most things that happen in the LOS?

There's nothing in that form that bothers me one iota. If it bothers you, just set up a new FB account or join Twitter and never use it. Email addresses are ten a penny, and so on. If you already have a bank account, you can go to your bank tomorrow and ask to set up another account with the same name and put a few Baht in it. The form only requires details of one bank account.

Yes, it’s a farce and a very minor inconvenience, but it's hardly going to give me a heart attack or make me pack my bags and leave.

Living in Thailand is a trade-off - if you don't like all these petty regulations and tin pot tyrants, then obviously the trade-off is not working for you, so maybe you'd be better slink off back to dark, cold miserable chaotic Europe or to Trump's America….smile.png

"maybe you'd be better slink off back to dark, cold miserable chaotic Europe or to Trump's America" - why, when there are neighboring countries in South East Asia offering the same lifestyle with little to no "so-called infringements of civil liberty?"

Another posted stated, turn wanting front and BACK of his amt card,,!? that REEEKS of nefarious purposes,, 1,, there's no need for the front,, let alone the security code on the back,,, years ago credit card companies told me never hand out your credit card to a waiter or such at a store, restaurant, etc,, as that was EXACTLY how your account would be compromised,, the waiter, etc would then sell that info,, they told me that was the most common way for your card to be compromised,, in fact they told me if a waiter or clerk ever turn your card over to look at the back to immediately contact their manager,, so with this new info they now know where Joe Farlang hangs out,, how much he has in his account etc, etc,, that's very very scary info for corrupt officials say a policeman to have, as they have been known to kidnap wealthy individuals and ransom them,, this pertinent info just narrows their field down to certain individuals,,, I mean why bother extorting someone who has little money, let's find someone who does,

That was my post, and I agree,

I pointed out why this was not a good idea (from my POV), but the 'rules' change so regularly (and depending on the person involved) - I quickly realised it was a pointless discussion. Far better to just provide the photocopies and cancel the card.

And somehow get someone to bring a replacement card out here for you from your home country, or pay a substantial amount of money for it to be sent here by courier?

Sorry to take so long to respond - my modem was destroyed (yet again...) by a distant storm.

I provided proof of income details, so gave them copies of my Thai bank ATM card. Easy to replace and only costs 100 bht.

I still don't think it's a good idea to give a copy of your ATM card to ANYBODY!

That was my post, and I agree,

I pointed out why this was not a good idea (from my POV), but the 'rules' change so regularly (and depending on the person involved) - I quickly realised it was a pointless discussion. Far better to just provide the photocopies and cancel the card.

And somehow get someone to bring a replacement card out here for you from your home country, or pay a substantial amount of money for it to be sent here by courier?

Sorry to take so long to respond - my modem was destroyed (yet again...) by a distant storm.

I provided proof of income details, so gave them copies of my Thai bank ATM card. Easy to replace and only costs 100 bht.

I still don't think it's a good idea to give a copy of your ATM card to ANYBODY!

I wouldn't get overly concerned about the ATM card Sambun as the Thai ones don't have your name on them so really are useless as proof of anything.

"maybe you'd be better slink off back to dark, cold miserable chaotic Europe or to Trump's America" - why, when there are neighboring countries in South East Asia offering the same lifestyle with little to no "so-called infringements of civil liberty?"

I can think of no country in the immediate region that comes even close to a western democracy as far as your civil liberties are concerned - Malaysia? Cambodia? Communist Laos ? Communist Vietnam?, Burma? - all these countries will do just as they see fit as far as your civil liberties are concerned. Or how about the Phillippines, where the new president plans to shoot all suspected criminals before they can be brought to trial?.

Thailand may top of the list today - but tomorrow? Who knows.

As I said, living in South East Asia is a trade off.

But if you think you will be better off somewhere else in the region - then go there - simple...

I can think of no country in the immediate region that comes even close to a western democracy as far as your civil liberties are concerned - Malaysia? Cambodia? Communist Laos ? Communist Vietnam?, Burma? - all these countries will do just as they see fit as far as your civil liberties are concerned. Or how about the Phillippines, where the new president plans to shoot all suspected criminals before they can be brought to trial?.

But if you think you will be better off somewhere else in the region - then go there - simple...

"I can think of no country in the immediate region that comes even close to a western democracy as far as your civil liberties are concerned" - unless you have forgotten, Thailand is currently under military rule, with no democratic election in sight.

In any case, I was under the belief we were talking about "civil liberty" for expats living in South East Asia, not locals.

Cambodia - 1 year multi entry business visa for $300USD. Can work in any business you like, including your own bar. No need to leave the country.

Malaysia - 90 days visa exempt stamp on arrival for tourists and / or pseudo expats, and the "Malaysia My 2nd Home" policy with many generous concessions for retirees.

Vietnam - 3 month multi entry tourist visas that can be extended inside Vietnam. Many expats unofficially, but openly, working on this visa - officials turn a blind eye.

Philippines - info from another member is 10,000 baht for 6 months visa - no need to leave the country to extend / renew.

The above are just a few examples of more "liberty" being offered in neighboring countries in relation to visas / working.

"But if you think you will be better off somewhere else in the region - then go there - simple." - I chose to stay here because the visa situation doesn't bother me so much. I enjoy my visa runs, as a short break from Phuket, but many have sort more "liberty" in other nearby countries.

I'm simply pointing out that many expats "trade-off" a lot less in neighboring countries than in Thailand.

"I can think of no country in the immediate region that comes even close to a western democracy as far as your civil liberties are concerned" - unless you have forgotten, Thailand is currently under military rule, with no democratic election in sight.

In any case, I was under the belief we were talking about "civil liberty" for expats living in South East Asia, not locals.

Cambodia - 1 year multi entry business visa for $300USD. Can work in any business you like, including your own bar. No need to leave the country.

Malaysia - 90 days visa exempt stamp on arrival for tourists and / or pseudo expats, and the "Malaysia My 2nd Home" policy with many generous concessions for retirees.

Vietnam - 3 month multi entry tourist visas that can be extended inside Vietnam. Many expats unofficially, but openly, working on this visa - officials turn a blind eye.

Philippines - info from another member is 10,000 baht for 6 months visa - no need to leave the country to extend / renew.

The above are just a few examples of more "liberty" being offered in neighboring countries in relation to visas / working.

"But if you think you will be better off somewhere else in the region - then go there - simple." - I chose to stay here because the visa situation doesn't bother me so much. I enjoy my visa runs, as a short break from Phuket, but many have sort more "liberty" in other nearby countries.

I'm simply pointing out that many expats "trade-off" a lot less in neighboring countries than in Thailand.

If the countries you mention were anything like as popular as Thailand for expats, I'm sure their visa rules would be changed appropriately.

I wouldn't get overly concerned about the ATM card Sambun as the Thai ones don't have your name on them so really are useless as proof of anything.

I didn't realise that, but why would it be accepted as proof of ANYBODY'S income if there is no name on it?

I didn't realise that, but why would it be accepted as proof of ANYBODY'S income if there is no name on it?

It's not accepted as proof of income, even it did have a name it is still not proof of anything other than the person has a bank account.

dick dasterdly is talking from his anus.

It's not accepted as proof of income, even it did have a name it is still not proof of anything other than the person has a bank account.

dick dasterdly is talking from his anus.

That's what I thought!

Actually, DD isn't. If going for an extension of visa (marriage/retirement) and using the funds in bank/bank letter route, then copy of ATM card not required. Going the Embassy/Consulate route, then a copy of ATM card is required.

Actually, DD isn't. If going for an extension of visa (marriage/retirement) and using the funds in bank/bank letter route, then copy of ATM card not required. Going the Embassy/Consulate route, then a copy of ATM card is required.

Required, but not as proof of income, but as proof the applicant is withdrawing funds

When I did my extension using the Embassy/Consulate letter method last month, I was specifically told by the volunteer NOT to supply a copy of my ATM card, but just a photocopy of the title page of my bank book showing account # and name. He removed the ATM card copy from my stack of paperwork and returned it to me.

Exactly, I sent proof of income to the Brit. Embassy, who then provided the necessary proof of income letter. A copy of both sides of my ATM card was a new, additional 'requirement'. But I pay a lawyer to deal with Immigration for annual extensions and 90 day reports (far better for my stress levels biggrin.png ), so it was the lawyer (rather than Immigration) that insisted on copies of my ATM card.

My post was badly worded and didn't make this clear - I apologise.

You use a lawyer to do your 90 day reporting ?

Wow.

Yes, I do. As mentioned previously, its far better for my blood pressure.

Fair enough. I find it takes less than 5 minutes to do from the comfort of my chair whilst supping a cold beer.

Exactly, I sent proof of income to the Brit. Embassy, who then provided the necessary proof of income letter. A copy of both sides of my ATM card was a new, additional 'requirement'. But I pay a lawyer to deal with Immigration for annual extensions and 90 day reports (far better for my stress levels biggrin.png ), so it was the lawyer (rather than Immigration) that insisted on copies of my ATM card.

Copy ATM is not required when using proof of income.

Copy of the name page from your bank book is enough.

This is only to show that you have a bank account in Thailand.

I applied for my yearly retirement extension yesterday at Phuket Immigration.

I included a completed personal details form along with my paperwork and the officer rejected it; handed it back to me.

Good to hear, hope that they stop with this kind of nonsense.

Despite the bank letter and statement, they still wanted copies of my bank book transactions for the last three months as well as the front page! Otherwise no surprises when I renewed this week.

Despite the bank letter and statement, they still wanted copies of my bank book transactions for the last three months as well as the front page! Otherwise no surprises when I renewed this week.

sounds like a overactive officer. blink.png

It would be nice if someone who works at immigration or who's been there recently posted their experience instead of all this guess work

Merijn gave the information some pages ago.

It is currently only required for people doing a normal 7/30 day extension. (Visa exemption, VOA, TR)

The 3 page questionnaire has also been reduced to 1 page.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived