New personal details form arrives at Phuket Immigration

rooster59

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The strange thing is that this subject came up before and the Immigration General who thought it up indicated that the form was not mandatory but requested co-operation. The Form to what I can see has no official TM number like other Thai Forms. I will fill it out if asked to the best of my ability with information that they require making sure nothing can be compromised later. It appears Phuket is a law unto its own, especially with the way the southern borders are 'run'. I do remember many years ago in the 60s- a personal history form similar to this was required and that eventually went away. I would guess that when enough people show hesitation at providing certain info- this will eventually be forgotten. It appears that in Phuket the form is required for any extension of stay to include 30 day extensions and 90 day reports.

The strange thing is that any person who they actually suspected of transnational crime or local crime would be under police surveillance and they would know the whereabouts and habits of that person immediately. A form would be of no value for this as an actual criminal wouldn't tell the truth anyway.

This is because Thai government agencies dont trust each other and wont share information. So each agency has to build its own database. Had some experiences of this in Khon Kaen. My worry is thailand doesnt have much legally in terms of privacy laws and if your private data endsup in the public domain you become a target for fraud, etc. So being a resident of your home country is probably not so bad at all?

Welcome to 1984. This is a most naive document that will do absolutely nothing to assist the authorities. I will not put in the names of my dead parents, only Mummy and Daddy. And in the bank account section I will use one of my accounts in another country as it does not stipulate it must be a local bank. And as for frequently visited places my local 7-11 and the noodle shop are all they will get. None of it is inaccurate, so what can they do.

No big deal here.They get your bank details at visa extension times. Plus your whereabouts at 90 day report times. Everyone I know has my email. I'm sure if they ask about where go it doesn't mean Joe's bar rather if you travel a lot. Far as I am concerned this is non issue. Try immigrating to Australia, The U S ,Canada. That is very hard by comparison.

Yes but the US, Canada, UK and Australia have their data protection laws and if confidential information is leaked then heads can roll for their breach of security. But no one has faith that the information we give up to Thai immigration is in competent safe hands, and that`s the main worry I think. The new form doesn`t worry me it`s where that and where all the other stuff goes that concerns me.

All these changes have led me to making the decision of selling my condo. Don't want to have any assets of decent value in this country anymore. I'll just come and go in between visiting Cambodia and Vietnam.

Signed up to TV on 30-07-2014.

This is your first post.

whats your normal TV username ?

Well, well no Thai person would ever give such information, even with ID card copies they are very cautious. So the IO suspects that aliens are weak and never made a law case out of it...so much fear in the expat community

So, Thailand is now going the direction of the NSA. No amount of information is enough for them. The little man is suffering from an insatiable thirst for power and control. Since he is famous for not following up on much, let us hope this is just another in the long line of programs that just blow over, after a minute or two.

Well, well no Thai person would ever give such information, even with ID card copies they are very cautious. So the IO suspects that aliens are weak and never made a law case out of it...so much fear in the expat community

Why would a Thai have to deal with Thailand immigration. not as though need a permission to stay extension or a re-entry permit.

Welcome to 1984. This is a most naive document that will do absolutely nothing to assist the authorities. I will not put in the names of my dead parents, only Mummy and Daddy. And in the bank account section I will use one of my accounts in another country as it does not stipulate it must be a local bank. And as for frequently visited places my local 7-11 and the noodle shop are all they will get. None of it is inaccurate, so what can they do.

No big deal here.They get your bank details at visa extension times. Plus your whereabouts at 90 day report times. Everyone I know has my email. I'm sure if they ask about where go it doesn't mean Joe's bar rather if you travel a lot. Far as I am concerned this is non issue. Try immigrating to Australia, The U S ,Canada. That is very hard by comparison.

Yes but the US, Canada, UK and Australia have their data protection laws and if confidential information is leaked then heads can roll for their breach of security. But no one has faith that the information we give up to Thai immigration is in competent safe hands, and that`s the main worry I think. The new form doesn`t worry me it`s where that and where all the other stuff goes that concerns me.

The Thai theory of "you think too much" comes to mind. They may be right. Why spend your life worrying about what might happen?

The Thai theory of "you think too much" comes to mind. They may be right. Why spend your life worrying about what might happen?

Because it might happen :-)

Because it might happen :-)

I will give you a like. Personally worry about this that and the other. Me worrying has never stopped "it" happening.

There is nothing on that form I don`t mind answering, I have nothing to hide and I guess that anyone who hesitates to give the information or only part information or deliberately gives incorrect information will come under suspicion. In fact I am glad the police may have a quick reference about me in Thailand, it shows I am being a good boy, behaving myself a and decent resizen. It also makes things more difficult for wanted criminals and may be terrorists entering the country. In the end I think it`s more for the benefit of all then against us.

Absolutely, nothing wrong with that. There could not be anything sinister in their motives.

When they ask you to put a little star on your chest it will be to help identify you to get priority treatment at hospitals.

and the ambulances will come directly to your house to pick you up, and they can take you to a nice special

room just for farang which has special air con to keep you cooler for your stay. History has shown Governments only

do things like this to help their citizens.

Went to khon kaen immigration on monday for 90 day report.lady gave me the form,but told me it was not for my 90 day but only when i renewed my visa.the bank details and all that stuff like email and that,they already have. But they want 2 addresses,names and phone numbers of contacts back in your home country and the same of a contact over here.

When i do come to renew,i will tell the truth,not because i'm a goody goody,but why risk a visit from you know who(and i dont mean Voldermort) When you dont need it.

There is nothing on that form I don`t mind answering, I have nothing to hide and I guess that anyone who hesitates to give the information or only part information or deliberately gives incorrect information will come under suspicion. In fact I am glad the police may have a quick reference about me in Thailand, it shows I am being a good boy, behaving myself a and decent resizen. It also makes things more difficult for wanted criminals and may be terrorists entering the country. In the end I think it`s more for the benefit of all then against us.

Absolutely, nothing wrong with that. There could not be anything sinister in their motives.

When they ask you to put a little star on your chest it will be to help identify you to get priority treatment at hospitals.

and the ambulances will come directly to your house to pick you up, and they can take you to a nice special

room just for farang which has special air con to keep you cooler for your stay. History has shown Governments only

Just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

This sounds very fishy. A form like this should need to be approved by the Ministry of the Interior and/or Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I've lost track of who the Immigration Department is responsible to. Back in 2000 it was responsible to the Minister of the Interior, same as the Police Department. Legally, is it a division of the Royal Thai Police? Does the form have an official form number on it? Why has this not been explained by the regular public relations spokesman from Immigration? Why is this General announcing it? Where did he come from? Is he just involved in office politics and empire building? I have so many questions about this I hardly know where to start. I don't particularly mind giving my bank account details -- heck, I had to give them copies of the bank book for about ten years after 1997. I think they were trying to force foreigners to keep money in Thai banks for some reason. Then they just stopped. No explanation, just, "You don't have to give us this any more."

Does the Immigration Department have an ombudsman or public relations office where inquiries can be submitted?

This should be troubling to anyone wishing to stay in Thailand...long term...

Throughout history...militarized countries have singled out certain groups of people for exceptional scrutiny...in some cases, especially in times of war...people may be rounded up for deportation or worse...

Can Thailand be trusted with the lives of farangs...especially if all hell breaks loose around the world?

Add all this to the courting of the Chinese military dictatorship...should give one pause...

At least have a backup-plan if the world starts falling apart at the seams...

No need to be paranoid. They are out to get you. That's a fact.

Went to khon kaen immigration on monday for 90 day report.lady gave me the form,but told me it was not for my 90 day but only when i renewed my visa.the bank details and all that stuff like email and that,they already have. But they want 2 addresses,names and phone numbers of contacts back in your home country and the same of a contact over here.

When i do come to renew,i will tell the truth,not because i'm a goody goody,but why risk a visit from you know who(and i dont mean Voldermort) When you dont need it.

Well, that's a problem for me. I don't have 2 contacts back in the States. I've lived in Thailand for the last 34 years, and my only living relatives are some distant cousins I met when they were little kids and I was twelve years old 65 years ago. I don't even know what states they live in, although one (I think a second cousin once removed, whom I've never met in person) lives in Texas, I think. This is all well and good for people who have just arrived and are requesting their first one year extension, but even when I came to Thailand I had spent twenty years in the Army, mostly overseas, and lost touch with just about everybody.

I too have nothing to hide but I certainly have a problem providing a large amount of personal information to one office. Yes, various companies and government departments have some of the information already but not all ( for instance immigration do not have my bank account details and currently i see no reason why they should). I am happy to provide the information necessary for them to do their job

When bureaucrats amass large amounts of information they do not really need my experience has been that they are less observant as regards how that information is kept/secured. I have also found that bureaucrats will keep asking for more and more information until they are told no. Not that they need it but just so they keep busy. Where will this all stop?

I have been the victim of identity theft in the past and would not wish to experience that again.

All that information in one place (paper) would surely be too much of a temptation for criminals from anywhere not to somehow attempt via hacking, bribery, robbery or whatever to lay their hands on it.

As for this making it more difficult for criminals/terrorists to enter Thailand, I do not see how this form could possibly assist or am I missing something. I only wish that it could.

Throughout history...militarized countries have singled out certain groups of people for exceptional scrutiny...in some cases, especially in times of war...people may be rounded up for deportation or worse...

Can Thailand be trusted with the lives of farangs...especially if all hell breaks loose around the world?

Add all this to the courting of the Chinese military dictatorship...should give one pause...

Been here since 2004 on work permits/stay extensions for the same company.

Nothing in this new form is info they do not have other than social media (optional) or which noodle stall I eat at.

Should I call it quits and head home ?

No need to be paranoid. They are out to get you. That's a fact.

I am s#$t scared every day here. "They hate me", "They only want my money", and on the TVF propaganda goes. Never suggest going elsewhere because they will want you to wear a patch on your arm saying "apologist". Hypocricy to the extreme.

I have a problem understanding the purpose of this form.

Most of the information asked is already a matter of record in the case of those here on extensions of stay.

Asking about the names of my long deceased parents is pathetic

If my Mum was still alive she would be 112 and if my Gad was still alive he would be 127 years old.

He was born in the 19th century. Do they really need to know that?

Of course they need it. Those are often secret questions for your social media account. Don't forget to give them your passwords and PIN number for your bank account as well. Otherwise you will be suspected

Been here since 2004 on work permits/stay extensions for the same company.

Nothing in this new form is info they do not have other than social media (optional) or which noodle stall I eat at.

Should I call it quits and head home ?

Naw...hang around...and if you make it out when the sxit hits the fan...you can have some great stories of your escape...

Archived