New personal details form arrives at Phuket Immigration

rooster59

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Penal Code Chapter 2 § 367

Any person who is required by a public officer to inform his name or address in the interest of the legal enforcement and refuses to so inform or maliciously gives false name or address shall be liable to a fine not exceeding one hundred baht.

No mention of other "Personal Information"

Pretty Stiff Penalty

Penal Code worth a read if you enjoy amusement!

This may be a stupid question but where can it be found in a understandable english prose? Is there a Web site address or can it be found someplace like a library (never seen one here but you never know)?

Try this: http://www.thailandlawonline.com/table-of-contents/criminal-law-translation-thailand-penal-code

This is a good resource for Acts and Decrees: http://www.thailaws.com

Asking for details like Bank Accounts and other Private details is an infringement of the Privacy laws as written in the Court of La Haye and many other instances to protect the individual for misbehavior.

This is showing the TRUE face of a country ruled by a Junta which has totally no power anymore.

Thailand is going the wrong path with their rules.

You are correct and these Privacy Laws have been signed by Thailand as part of a UN agreement. Everyone must refrain from filling out this form then Phuket's tourist industry will go into total collapse.

It just amazes me that our embassy types sit on their polished pants and do nothing to help us. All they do is give us this blah blah blah about obeying the rules of a foreign country. They want us good little consumers who do have money to spend to stay at home and boost the local economy.

I don't see a penal code number on the form so it begs the question is there actually any penalty under the immigration laws that cover this or is it just a scare tactic

I'd say at the moment, it's a bluff, with no actual 'Penal Code' backing the form.

If social media is optional, then I'll 'Opt-Out' (thank you very much). All the other information can be found on the various 'TM' forms and supplemental visa forms that we are required to fill out. But if they insist of killing trees and wasting paper, so be it. I'll give them the same information again.

As far as were do I frequent? "Nong Gui's Mom & Pop Store, Nong Kip's Mom & Pop Store, Luang Tak's Mom & Pop Store, 7/11, Big-C, The Mall, Awbataw, local hospital, local train station, local gas station......" Essentially I'd write until I ran out of room, because in reality, it's all useless information - right along with the form. Think about it: Really, if someone committed a crime and didn't want to be found, just hang out somewhere that isn't on the form you submitted. They have actually provided a way for 'real criminals' to obscure their trail: The criminally minded provides of list of 'places they frequent', and then go elsewhere as the police are busy combing the list of 'hangouts'.

You can't make this stuff up. Why Thais are incapable of thinking things out to a logical conclusion is beyond me. But, there you have it.

It just amazes me that our embassy types sit on their polished pants and do nothing to help us. All they do is give us this blah blah blah about obeying the rules of a foreign country. They want us good little consumers who do have money to spend to stay at home and boost the local economy.

What would you like your embassy to do about this form, Fill it in for you ?

Why, when it was first resisted by Phuket Immigration, are they making a fuss about this idiot piece of paper dreamt up by some underling in Bangkok, now? Couldn't be anything to do with the current 'cleansing' (yet another boss transferred) could it? Spite? 'falang no good make me lose income' .. Get a bloody clue.

All these changes have led me to making the decision of selling my condo. Don't want to have any assets of decent value in this country anymore. I'll just come and go in between visiting Cambodia and Vietnam.

A wise decision.

Exactly. Why would any expat want their Embassy getting involved in their life?!

Exactly. Why would any expat want their Embassy getting involved in their life?!

Especially those who are forever glancing around, living in fear of being found and returned ! smile.png

I can only assume that most on here would prefer that Thailand adopted a visa application process similar to the UK. No visa exempt and a 12 page visa application form, not to mention supporting documents and the restrictions on long term stay.

Careful what you wish for.

Sorry, but it's not an apples and oranges comparison. The UK has their process set to screen people out. If they didn't then so many under-educated people would blood the UK and not be able to find work that the system would crash.

In Thailand, most foreigners are more highly educated and contribute more to the economy than the average native. They don't need to screen us as tightly as our home countries do.

We don't need a UK style system. We only want an honest one.

I can only assume that most on here would prefer that Thailand adopted a visa application process similar to the UK. No visa exempt and a 12 page visa application form, not to mention supporting documents and the restrictions on long term stay.

Sorry, but it's not an apples and oranges comparison. The UK has their process set to screen people out. If they didn't then so many under-educated people would blood the UK and not be able to find work that the system would crash.

In Thailand, most foreigners are more highly educated and contribute more to the economy than the average native. They don't need to screen us as tightly as our home countries do.

Are those "educated" ones the people found on bar stools and frequenting "go-go" places which are, of course only there to cater for the "intelligent", well educated foreigner ?

You are correct in only one thing ---------The UK is happy to see the back of such "educated" people and is not keen on allowing them to be replaced hence the sensible "screening" process !

No silly just make their lips move and inform the Thai government and immigration that this is an ILLEGAL FORM. Capish

No silly just make their lips move and inform the Thai government and immigration that this is an ILLEGAL FORM. Capish

The form is illegal ?

You have proof ?

Why is it illegal?

It's your choice whether or not to complete it.

The form is illegal ?

You have proof ?

Well we can discuss legal and illegal till the cows come home. It is my understanding from previous posts that it is illegal. It is being used by some general on a one on basis. There apparently again by previous post no markings on it saying it a a legal form.

What is "Illegal" about the form ?

A detailed response please, fully referenced to the Thai Law about "illegal forms"

cheesy.gif

Another posted stated, turn wanting front and BACK of his amt card,,!? that REEEKS of nefarious purposes,, 1,, there's no need for the front,, let alone the security code on the back,,, years ago credit card companies told me never hand out your credit card to a waiter or such at a store, restaurant, etc,, as that was EXACTLY how your account would be compromised,, the waiter, etc would then sell that info,, they told me that was the most common way for your card to be compromised,, in fact they told me if a waiter or clerk ever turn your card over to look at the back to immediately contact their manager,, so with this new info they now know where Joe Farlang hangs out,, how much he has in his account etc, etc,, that's very very scary info for corrupt officials say a policeman to have, as they have been known to kidnap wealthy individuals and ransom them,, this pertinent info just narrows their field down to certain individuals,,, I mean why bother extorting someone who has little money, let's find someone who does,

That was my post, and I agree,

I pointed out why this was not a good idea (from my POV), but the 'rules' change so regularly (and depending on the person involved) - I quickly realised it was a pointless discussion. Far better to just provide the photocopies and cancel the card.

And somehow get someone to bring a replacement card out here for you from your home country, or pay a substantial amount of money for it to be sent here by courier?

I was just reminded by another Phuket member on another thread about how the Phuket Immigration Office is reusing people's paperwork for printing some new forms. On the back of my last 90 report there is a copy of someone's Thai ID card. On the back of my Notification of Residence is someone's accounting information from the company's financial controller. On the back of his was some Russian woman's passport ID page with all her information on it...That doesn't exactly instill any confidence that my information hasn't been made into a 90 reporting form or another form and really doesn't make me want to submit more unprotected personal information.

Agree 100%! I am all in favour of conservation and saving paper, but there is a limit!

“If a foreigner doesn’t want to fill in their information by themselves, they will be questioned for our records anyway. If they don’t fill in the form, we will suspect their reason,” Chachaval was quoted as saying in Phuket News.

SEE ALSO: Thailand asking foreigners for bank account, social media, and hangout details

Apart from social media and account details, the three-page form asks for foreigners’ contact numbers and email addresses, vehicle registration, and places frequented by the foreigner.

In the form, visitors were warned that: “Providing false information to an officer, shall be punishable under the Penal Code.”

According to the paper, the form covers most types of applications for foreigners.

“This form shall be used for making record of information of every alien entering and staying in the Kingdom of Thailand and shall be submit with Notification of residences for Aliens (section 37, 38 of Immigration Act, BE, 2522), or 90-days notification, or Extension of Stays (all purposes), or Re-entry Permits, or in all cases involving alien labors,” the header reads.

However, Chachaval did not confirm whether failure to provide certain information would form a basis for applications to be rejected and clarified that the social media account details was optional. He said all other sections were mandatory.

“We will not force people to provide their social media details,” he said.

Do we honestly think we know what was going through the mind of this man? "If a foreigner does not want to provide the information, they will be questioned for our records anyway. But, we will not force people to provide their social media details". I am not confident this is the case. In the US, social media is one of the largest data mining areas for the NSA, the FBI, and other authorities. Are we moving in that direction here? In the US they spend hundreds of millions of dollars finding and collecting that data. Here, they appear to just want us to give it to them, saving them great expense in finding it, should they choose to do so.

I presume by "blood" you mean "flood" and isn't that happening already, as forecast by Enoch Powell in his famous "Rivers of Blood speech? (Maybe that's where you got it from!)

Why is it illegal?

Of course it is! And it is also the Immigration Officer's choice whether to grant you a visa or extension or whatever you went in there for in the first place!

Why is it illegal?

See Post #267

Why is it illegal?

See Post #267

Read my article. That's pretty much exactly what I did. I refused to pay a fine that the shmucks from Kantang wanted to levy on me, and even presented my hands for cuffs and told them to arrest me. I walked out with my 90 day extension and no fine.

Seriously, people need to read the article. We have the legal authority to push back against this bullshit now. If they don't adhere to their own law, then they will lose major face. It also includes references to agencies for complaints.

http://diogeneticlight.blogspot.com/2016/04/thailands-licensing-facilitation-act-of.html

What 90 day extension were you applying for?

What immigration fine did you refuse too pay?

They refused to accept my 90 day by mail. Instead of contacting me, as the law requires, they wanted to play telephone through a teacher at my school. I told the teacher that I wasn't required to go in, I sent it by mail. They tried to give me a fine for not doing the 90 day. I think it was 2,000bht. I cited the law to immigration (at a different office) and invited them to arrest me. It's all in the story.

Facebook account- no have

Line account- no have

email- no have

Twitter - no have

Address - you can have it.

Date of birth- you already have it.

Name- you already have it.

Passport number, and expiration date.

that is all you are going to get.

And some people wonder why they always have issues dealing with the authorities. Note that it is not your right to get an extension or a visa, and the officer can make things quite difficult for you. If I was the officer I would either rip up the form and give a new one, or send you away and tell you to fill in the correct details and go to the back of the queue. Or come back tomorrow.

A little private rebellion may make you feel better, but it just makes things painful for everybody else in the queue too. They have to wait longer, and the officer will be in a bad mood.

For all of the officers you meet, who are basically just normal employees doing a tedious job, the form is also a pain in the bum. More work, more filing, more checking, more complaints, no more salary. They probably do not want the form either.

So just try and make it easier for everybody and fill in something plausible.

Actually, it is our right to get a visa, as granted by law. So long as we fulfill the requirements of the law. We also have the right to be treated fairly under the law, both as a natural right and a specific right codified in the Thai Licensing Facilitation Act.

A little private rebellion isn't a problem. The problem is that too many people cower and don't respectfully request their rights. The law is on our side. This is the age of the digital camera. Thai hate to lose face by being called out for being malfeasant.

I get that they have a tedious job, but that's no excuse for them not doing their jobs competently and at least trying to do it correctly.

Archived