Chiang Mai Expat Demographics

GeorgeCross

Hi,

i was thinking of moving up to chiang mai or to pattaya and am trying to find details of the demographics of expats living and working in the city and surrounding areas.

in terms of chiang mai would i find many 30-50 year olds living in the area or would it mainly be retirees?

thanks for your help,

George

The demographics are broad because a.) Chiang Mai is a reasonably big city and b.) it appeals to many different demographics for different reasons. There are many retirees, many English teachers (all ages but generally 20s - 50s). Digital Nomads (it's the digital nomad "hub" of the world) who range between 20 and 30 in the main, when it comes to the vocal and fairly useless grouping, but in fact are well represented in older age groups who won't use the term "digital nomad". Then there are the die hard sexpats who can't afford Thailand's better sex tourist destinations (generally 40+) and so on...

But wouldn't a sexpat on a tighter budget be in Cambodia? And aren't <deleted> beer cheaper in Pattaya, with plenty of rentals in the sub 5000 range. Otherwise a fair assessment, but the "churn" is much faster/higher for the "Nomads" as well as the teachers. They come and go in my condo building like the wind. I'm on a retirement extension, and the true long termers seem to be quite a bit older than me. You start looking at just high season and you see a lot of snowbirds (winter visitors) that are more 50-65, but stay a few months out of every year.

It's been my observations that he "longer term" 30-50 years olds tend to be involved with NGOs and religious groups. As KKK said, there's a high "churn rate" with the digital nomads and teachers in that age category. There are older retirees who are year-round residents and younger, active retirees (age 50 - 65) who seem to be more into travel and are in-and-out of Chiang Mai, using this as a base for travel.

One consideration is that it's more difficult for people in the age 30 - 50 age bracket to secure long-term visas than those over age 50. Often they have to scramble and string together various schemes to remain here long-term and sometimes these schemes don't work out too well.

But wouldn't a sexpat on a tighter budget be in Cambodia? And aren't hookers and beer cheaper in Pattaya, with plenty of rentals in the sub 5000 range. Otherwise a fair assessment, but the "churn" is much faster/higher for the "Nomads" as well as the teachers. They come and go in my condo building like the wind. I'm on a retirement extension, and the true long termers seem to be quite a bit older than me. You start looking at just high season and you see a lot of snowbirds (winter visitors) that are more 50-65, but stay a few months out of every year.

Cambodia is a harder place to be on a budget than Thailand. Yes, beer, smokes and possibly even ladies of the night are cheaper there but... accommodation and electricity (the two biggest expenses in daily lives) are definitely not. A $100 place in Cambodia is likely to be an abject dump barely fit for human habitation. In Chiang Mai, I have friends who live in sub-5,000 Baht accommodation which isn't too bad (actually in one case if it weren't for a shower mounted above the toilet - I'd consider living there myself and my rent is much, much higher than that). My April electricity bill here was a measly 5,000 Baht for 2 A/C's running 24 hours a day, last year in Cambodia it was more than 15,000 Baht and I was running only a single A/C unit - all other electrical equipment being much of a muchness between the two). Thailand also offers a better range of "budget meal" options than Cambodia; though I admit I know a few folks who are happy to eat "pork and rice" 3 times a day to keep expenditure low in Cambodia. And so on...

yes, the abundant street food is sorely lacking in Cambodia, although some of the bar-stool experts vehemently denied that fact. Imitation western food might be a little cheaper (than CM), but I think a can of tuna was about 90 tmb in S'ville. Reaper also made a good point about the "Nomads." The older people who manage large sums of money with their computers don't call themselves Nomads, and don't have visa trouble, but the people who are Amazon resellers or have blogs telling you about Tiger Kingdom, and make 32 Dollars per month, do have visa trouble and do call themselves "Digital Nomads." Just a bit of irony.

There seem to be 3 sub-groups of 30 to 50s here. The biggest being those with a passion for motorcycles, then those who profess to be teechers and then a small group of professionals who like to hang on the coat tails of a visa service chap.

I'm sure there are others, but I don't get out enough.

It's been my observations that he "longer term" 30-50 years olds tend to be involved with NGOs and religious groups. As KKK said, there's a high "churn rate" with the digital nomads and teachers in that age category. There are older retirees who are year-round residents and younger, active retirees (age 50 - 65) who seem to be more into travel and are in-and-out of Chiang Mai, using this as a base for travel.

One consideration is that it's more difficult for people in the age 30 - 50 age bracket to secure long-term visas than those over age 50. Often they have to scramble and string together various schemes to remain here long-term and sometimes these schemes don't work out too well.

Yes it would seem that way. I would how ever like to point out that the OP was interested in Chiang Mai or Pattaya. The visa requirements are the same where ever he goes in Thailand.

yes, the abundant street food is sorely lacking in Cambodia, although some of the bar-stool experts vehemently denied that fact. Imitation western food might be a little cheaper (than CM), but I think a can of tuna was about 90 tmb in S'ville. Reaper also made a good point about the "Nomads." The older people who manage large sums of money with their computers don't call themselves Nomads, and don't have visa trouble, but the people who are Amazon resellers or have blogs telling you about Tiger Kingdom, and make 32 Dollars per month, do have visa trouble and do call themselves "Digital Nomads." Just a bit of irony.

You want Irony a fellow asks about Chiang Mai demographics and you immediately start talking about sex pats and Cambodia.cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Yes it would seem that way. I would how ever like to point out that the OP was interested in Chiang Mai or Pattaya. The visa requirements are the same where ever he goes in Thailand.

And it's really not difficult to stay here if you're under 50. I'm not sure what is meant by 'schemes'. I've never applied for a visa that the Thai immigration officials were not more than happy to give me. The only people who do seem unhappy about some of the visas that under 50s expats utilise are over 50s expats. Quite why they care or what business it is of theirs, I'm really not sure.

You want Irony a fellow asks about Chiang Mai demographics and you immediately start talking about sex pats and Cambodia.cheesy.gifclap2.gif

Understood, but you've got to consider the source, NJ.

"Sexpats in Cambodia" may seem to you and me to have little to do with the topic at hand, but we all know that it could be much, much worse.

At least this topic hasn't (yet) reminded him of the average household income in Bumfrack, Virginia, or the optimal price and serving temperature of a mid-morning beer at a "gentleman's club" on the forlorn outskirts of Phoenix.

Neither has it engendered another embarrassing rant regarding the creeping price of eggs or the prevalence of "circus pants" in downtown Chiang Mai (although both of those fond favorites might be considered more arguably "on topic"). Or, like I said...... much, much worse.

I suppose that it's just a matter of time, though.......

The Birthplace of the Bill of Rights is an interesting place, but I guess that is something the Brits will never have or understand. Maybe not as interesting as your week stay at the Long Beach YMCA, where you became an expert on America. If there is anything you missed, NJ can tell you about it, it's just happens to be from the viewpoint of a Thorazine patient, so allow plenty of time, and try to stay awake, and of course, wipe the drook off his chin every 20 minutes, or so..

LT, did you submit your vote, yet, to remain as certifiable Eurotrash? Ladbroke says 1:5 that they will reaffirm. Not surprising.

OP, where are you now?

Hua Hin

i lived on Samui for a while and really enjoyed it, many younger families around and plenty of under-50 expats, however pledging our future to an island wasn't appealing for us so we moved to the mainland.

Hua Hin, whilst a lovely place with lovely people is however kind of like moving in with our parents (no offence to the retirees, it just is as it is!), there just seems to be few people around who are our age and place in life.

My April electricity bill here was a measly 5,000 Baht for 2 A/C's running 24 hours a day, last year in Cambodia it was more than 15,000 Baht and I was running only a single A/C unit - all other electrical equipment being much of a muchness between the two).

Are you being charged a premium rate for electricity or something? We ran 3 A/C's 18-20 hours per day this hot season and our bill was 2800 Baht (the highest bill we have had in 9 years).

You may find that moving to CM is like moving in with your quirky elderly aunts and uncles. You know, the ones who were fun to see at the holidays as a kid because they were so different from your parents, but once you're around them all the time, you'll discover they're simply dysfunctional.

Sounds like a bit of jealousy to me. I've met some of these kids (about 25 of them stayed in our moobaan for a few days last year during the nomad convention), and they were sharp kids making a heck of a lot more than "32 Dollars per month".

There seem to be 3 sub-groups of 30 to 50s here. The biggest being those with a passion for motorcycles, then those who profess to be teechers and then a small group of professionals who like to hang on the coat tails of a visa service chap.

don't forget the trust fund babies, or grown men who live off their parents. there are thousands of them living all over Thailand. they're easy to spot, haven't ever had a real job, living in Thailand forever without a worry in the world. there are many who are in their 50's and get a monthly allowance from their parent(s).

Understood, but you've got to consider the source, NJ.

"Sexpats in Cambodia" may seem to you and me to have little to do with the topic at hand, but we all know that it could be much, much worse.

At least this topic hasn't (yet) reminded him of the average household income in Bumfrack, Virginia, or the optimal price and serving temperature of a mid-morning beer at a "gentleman's club" on the forlorn outskirts of Phoenix.

Neither has it engendered another embarrassing rant regarding the creeping price of eggs or the prevalence of "circus pants" in downtown Chiang Mai (although both of those fond favorites might be considered more arguably "on topic"). Or, like I said...... much, much worse.

I suppose that it's just a matter of time, though.......

KKK seems a fitting name for this user.

don't forget the trust fund babies, or grown men who live off their parents. there are thousands of them living all over Thailand. they're easy to spot, haven't ever had a real job, living in Thailand forever without a worry in the world. there are many who are in their 50's and get a monthly allowance from their parent(s).

Those must be the people doing the 300 THB flat beers. And don't forget the able-bodied people the State of California gives SSDI to, mostly without regular check-ins or residency requirements. Back in the 80s, when they decided to give it to them with only a PO Box; it really opened the flood gates.

The demographics are broad because a.) Chiang Mai is a reasonably big city and b.) it appeals to many different demographics for different reasons. There are many retirees, many English teachers (all ages but generally 20s - 50s). Digital Nomads (it's the digital nomad "hub" of the world) who range between 20 and 30 in the main, when it comes to the vocal and fairly useless grouping, but in fact are well represented in older age groups who won't use the term "digital nomad". Then there are the die hard sexpats who can't afford Thailand's better sex tourist destinations (generally 40+) and so on...

Comparing Pattaya with Chiang Mai is like comparing chalk and cheese. Sexpats would be hard pushed to fulfill their desires in Chiang Mai and if the OP would like to discover the under 50s in crowd he won`t find them in Chiang Mai. For expats Chiang Mai is calm and collected, like the land of the lost souls aimlessly milling around, mostly over 50s, over 60s, over 70s, over 80s, over the hill locked in the twilight zone.

Then on the other side of the Universe there is Pattaya. Detached, a city that never sleeps, fast and furious, a sex mongers paradise, crude, impersonal and can easily get lost in the crowd.

Comparing Pattaya with Chiang Mai is like comparing chalk and cheese. Sexpats would be hard pushed to fulfill their desires in Chiang Mai and if the OP would like to discover the under 50s in crowd he won`t find them in Chiang Mai. For expats Chiang Mai is calm and collected, like the land of the lost souls aimlessly milling around, mostly over 50s, over 60s, over 70s, over 80s, over the hill locked in the twilight zone.

Then on the other side of the Universe there is Pattaya. Detached, a city that never sleeps, fast and furious, a sex mongers paradise, crude, impersonal and can easily get lost in the crowd.

LOL "if the OP would like to discover the under 50s in crowd he won`t find them in Chiang Mai...." i guess you don't get out too often? the under 50 - well under 40's crowd are the largest/fastest growing 'crowd' here.

Those must be the people doing the 300 THB flat beers. And don't forget the able-bodied people the State of California gives SSDI to, mostly without regular check-ins or residency requirements. Back in the 80s, when they decided to give it to them with only a PO Box; it really opened the flood gates.

You obviously have no idea how SSDI works. It is a federal program you pay into when you work. There is no residency requirement and 100% legal to collect and live in Thailand.

Why so full of hate against digital nomads. The fact that you think they make money from writing blogs about Tiger kingdom shows you have no clue about what they do. I detect a touch of jealousy in your post. Maybe you are upset that they have a found a way to make money that is beyond comprehension. Anyway stop with all the hate Bangmai. It makes you look like a very bitter sad lonely person, which I suspect is the truth.

You obviously have no idea how SSDI works. It is a federal program you pay into when you work. There is no residency requirement and 100% legal to collect and live in Thailand.

It's much easier to obtain in certain jurisdictions, and some areas it's not suppose to be permanent. People actually get well, except those in California. Once on it; never off it.

If I were to make a guess, on your 3 mentioned sub groups, In would have to say that you are not in the " teechers " group.

If I were to make a guess, on your 3 mentioned sub groups, In would have to say that you are not in the " teechers " group.

http://bit.ly/1sBknq7 clap2.gif

Not in any of them since I sold my bike.

Archived