Pattaya Expat Demographics

GeorgeCross

Hi,

i was thinking of moving up to chiang mai or to pattaya and am trying to find details of the demographics of expats living and working in the city and surrounding areas. i have a young family and we are in our late 30s, early 40s and we'd be looking to move outside the city but still within reasonable distance of schools

in terms of pattaya would i find many 30-50 year olds living in the area? i'm coming from hua hin and here its mainly retiree and its a bit quiet for us

thanks for your help,

George

The only young people I see in Pattaya that might be called ex-pat are Russians, Indians selling suits and Burmese / Cambodian construction workers.

All the other ex-pats are older

The extension to stay visa based on retirement has a criteria of being over 50, that might be a clue.

The only young people I see in Pattaya that might be called ex-pat are Russians, Indians selling suits and Burmese / Cambodian construction workers.

The extension to stay visa based on retirement has a criteria of being over 50, that might be a clue.

Yeah, keep your screaming rug rats out of Pattaya, us oldies need peace and quiet!

Basic demographics of Pattaya expats are one or more of the below.

-over 50 and an alcoholic

-under 50 and a drug addict

-recently released from prison in the UK

-claiming some type of fake disability to scam the government or a corporation in their home country

- ex SAS or some other war hero

-skint and drinking at a concrete table or a cheap charlie happy hour bar.

-round dodger

-claiming some type of fake disability to scam the government or a corporation in their home country

-round dodger

Hey! I resemble those remarks

Chiang Mai is full of Americans and a terrible Immigration office. There are numerous foreign families living here in the Pattaya area (area... geddit?).. Who else goes tho the international schools?... Only Thais?.... Muppets!... OP.... Come over for a week and have a good drive around. Don't lose to this bunch of curmudgeonly, sour, bitter and twisted sad sacks for whom Pattaya doesn't exist any further out than Beach Road, Soi Boukheaw and 3rd Rd.

I've lived/worked in Thailand (house in Pattaya) permanently since I was 27, now 42. I spent a lot of time in Thailand before that, since I was 19 years old. I do notice that there doesn't seem to be as many younger people around here that you would class as expats.

For schooling you should have plenty more of choice in and around Pattaya, plus better contacts for work when your kids get older if you have no intention of schooling your kids back home.

Chiang Mai just seems too isolated to offer your kids the best future. In my opinion you need to be around Bangkok, Chonburi or Rayong to offer them the best options. I stress that this is only my opinion.

-round dodger

Which one are you bubba1? Be careful how you answer; I'm ex-CIA.

Plenty of expats in pattaya in the 35 to 45 age range. Most are working fulltime though and don't spend their dying hours siting on bar stools.

Pattaya is retirees and tourists (predominantly not the family type).

We lived 15 km south of Pattaya in Ban Amphur and are happy to have moved 5 years ago 30 km further south east to Ban Chang, the first town in Rayong.

More foreigners in the 30-50 age that work either on rotation or regular jobs in the nearby industrial estates.

Several good international and bi-lingual schools nearby and depending on the village where you live a lot of kids that play together.

As you build your network on the go via neighborhood, wives and schools you'll have more than enough opportunities to meet people.

I'm in a nice gated community in Jomtien. Lots

Of kids at the pool when school is out, van from

Private schools come each morning. Close to BKK

1.5hour bus ride, lots of young families on the week-

From BKK. A little more expensive than CM, but you

Don't have the 8-9 weeks of horrible air pollution during

The burn season.

-round dodger

Nothing wrong with this one, people should give it a go.

Sometimes you meet a more interesting and better class of person. wai2.gif

I'm in a nice gated community in Jomtien. Lots

Of kids at the pool when school is out, van from

Private schools come each morning. Close to BKK

1.5hour bus ride, lots of young families on the week-

From BKK. A little more expensive than CM, but you

Don't have the 8-9 weeks of horrible air pollution during

The burn season.

yeah, me to, but only a condo, not gated community in my 8700b a month, government rate electric, huge pool and free gym, 10b bus to the beach but can walk it in 10 minutes... - have 2 bedroom places here as well.

i have met a few russian women who send their kids to private school - many kids round the pool (russian and thai) - your kids might have to pick up either of these 2 languages in jomtien.

i'm 42, not seen many single guys like me here, the 30yo one I used to know has left as he split with his thai wife and now worried about getting visas - most older falangs here, 50+ with thai wife or russian tourists mainly.

How come you're such an expert on the subject. Don't tell me you live in Pattaya.

-round dodger

Yeah, keep your screaming rug rats out of Pattaya, us oldies need peace and quiet!

I thought a lot of the old dears came here to Pattaya to escape an escalating downward spiral into permanent "peace and quiet."

Interesting that the O/P only is asking about the farang demographics. One of the nice things about living in a country other than your own is that it allows children exposure to others ... so they don't end up with a boatload of prejudices based on superficialities, like so many bitter old things who post on TV.

I thought a lot of the old dears came here to Pattaya to escape an escalating downward spiral into permanent "peace and quiet."

Interesting that the O/P only is asking about the farang demographics. One of the nice things about living in a country other than your own is that it allows children exposure to others ... so they don't end up with a boatload of prejudices based on superficialities, like so many bitter old things who post on TV.

Oh dear, everything is lost without emoticons. I think I also need one that shows a hand being passed over a head.

-round dodger

All of which is what allows the rest to feel superior to someone else for the first time in their lives.

Actually your rant sounds like a potential real estate pitch that could be used to flog condos to a sizable niche market. I'm a little worried about the one poster who seems to be monitoring the number of children who congregate at the local swimming pool and the school van's arrivals & departures.

Oh dear, everything is lost without emoticons. I think I also need one that shows a hand being passed over a head.

I'm sure you could choose something appropriate from your stock of selfies.

maybe you don't realize that the people you are seeing are expats. I am 37 and most people probably just think I'm a tourist.

-round dodger

Agreed fully

I'm glad you're on the same page as me

Honest & not afraid to say what others think

Hoorah

maybe you don't realize that the people you are seeing are expats. I am 37 and most people probably just think I'm a tourist.

What's your job?

Archived