BANGKOK 24 February 2019 06:27

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rooster59

Bangkok: Four US tourists injured when taxi overturns after driver fell asleep at wheel

Bangkok: Four US tourists injured when taxi overturns after driver fell asleep at wheel

post-247607-0-74084900-1463804629_thumb.

Image: Thairath

BANGKOK: Four American tourists are in hospital after the taxi that picked them up at Suvarnabhumi airport overturned when it hit a break down truck.

They were on their way to a downtown Bangkok hotel.

The 62 year old driver who was also injured said he fell asleep at the wheel.

Police called to the scene of the accident on Route 7 into Bangkok at Lat Krabang found a highway police break down truck on the left of the road and an overturned taxi some 100 meters further down the road.

The driver and four tourists who were heading for a Bangkok hotel were given emergency treatment at the scene before being taken to Wipharam Hospital.

Tawee Thongsuknork, the driver of the taxi, told police that he was in a central lane and fell asleep at the wheel causing him to lose control and hit the breakdown truck that was parked on the hard shoulder. The taxi then flipped and came to rest further down the road.

Police said that the highway vehicle was on duty preparing the road for a procession that was due along the route.

Police have initially charged the taxi driver with negligent driving causing injury to others as they await the results of other checks.

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-21

A couple of weeks ago I had an AOT Camry (to the airport) - The driver was quite erratic, accelerating, breaking repeatedly... it was an awful journey.

I positioned myself so I could see the drivers face in the rear-view mirror and noticed that looked like he was falling asleep so I chose to tell him to concentrate and stay awake. We got to the airport safely, but it was an uncomfortable journey.

I complained to AOT... the issue here is that I doubt much if anything will be done.

And so, with this taxi driver and many other drivers servicing the public, there is imply no accountability... To be honest, I'm surprised there are not more accidents with Taxi drivers falling asleep at the wheel, perhaps the slow speed of Bangkok's traffic can account for lives saved.

Forgot his pink pills to make it through the 24h shift? wink.png

whistling.gif In thailand. many taxi drivers do not own the taxis thay drive.....they are driving for a vehicle owner.

Many drivers drive more than one shift....especially if they need the money for their family.

i have even met taxi drivees in Bangkok who are policemen......driving a taxi on weekends or when not on shift as police.

whistling.gif In thailand. many taxi drivers do not own the taxis thay drive.....they are driving for a vehicle owner.

Many drivers drive more than one shift....especially if they need the money for their family.

i have even met taxi drivees in Bangkok who are policemen......driving a taxi on weekends or when not on shift as police.

Or actually on duty but with an agreement with their superior that they can work elsewhere for 50% of the extra take.

Reported numerous times years ago with cops (in police uniform) working as guards at jewelry shops.

Save money for years.

Take months to agree a plan book and pay for a holiday.

Fly 10 - 12 hours, get in a taxi and 20 minutes after landing in a roll-over and off to hospital.

Great start to vacation.

Looking at the picture they would be very lucky to get away with this without major injuries, The few times I take a taxi in Bangkok I am always watching the driver , and I try to sit in the front seat , just in case.....

I had a similar experience years ago taking a taxi to the airport. Driver kept nodding off so I kept talking to him and keeping him engaged. When we arrived I told him how dangerous it was and that he better take a nap rather than have an accident. Scary stuff.

I make regular use of taxis in many countries in the region and it is nowhere as bad as in Thailand. I once had a taxi driver in BKK that fell asleep at every single traffic light. Thailand is also the only country where I have repeatedly had attempts to rip you off by not using the meter, or charging some explainable sum out of the blue.

Looking at the picture they would be very lucky to get away with this without major injuries, The few times I take a taxi in Bangkok I am always watching the driver , and I try to sit in the front seat , just in case.....

yep, i am a front seat sitter, mrs can sit on back seat and dream of some horrible food.

i watch some bkk drivers very closely, fatigue, over dilated pupils etc.

blo*dy lottery every trip.

even as a one finger typer my brain cant keep up with it

So here is the A I am missing in my last post

So the breakdown truck was on the road, parked.

Preparing for a "procession".

Translation issues are common, and can usually be figured out with a bit of imagination.

This one, not so much.

Maybe he hit a car on side of the road.

An attempt at humor that some found offensive and responses to that post have been deleted.

I took a taxi from Pattaya to Bangkok with some friends who were first time tourists to Thailand.

The driver began acting strange about half way and then pulled the car over. He then explained to me that he had been driving non stop since NYE (it was about the 6th of Jan) and was so tired. I said you have not been home since NYE, no every day and night driving.

We were in sort of a rush and were not much interested in sitting on the side of the road for an hour so he moved to the passenger seat and I moved to the divers seat and I drove until the edge of Bangkok.

Some of the looks I got from passing cars was incredible.

That's my true story about being cabby for the day.

I should have drove round the city and pulled up next to Thai people shouted 500 baht at them and if they say no just drive off.

Save money for years.

Take months to agree a plan book and pay for a holiday.

Fly 10 - 12 hours, get in a taxi and 20 minutes after landing in a roll-over and off to hospital.

Great start to vacation.

Welcome to Thailand khappp wai.gif