Bangkok: Four US tourists injured when taxi overturns after driver fell asleep at wheel

rooster59

Some posters here and in similar news articles comment that drivers who fall asleep at the wheel and survive to relate it are simply excusing themselves having crashed or are just saying it’s a legitimate reason for crashing, and probably meaning that the driver is shirking any responsibility. If the claim of falling asleep is true, aren’t they just saying what happened? That could hold, unless there’s more context indicating they’re not taking any responsibility. Drivers falling asleep at the wheel happen all over the world. Let’s not be quick to judge; I have first-hand experience.

It is a legitimate reason, because there may be no other reason for such a crash. Yet, it is a terrible and devastating problem arising from diverse circumstances ranging from the foolishness of a driver to a melange of underlying ill fortune at the time stacked against a driver.

So many words and no point.

Some posters here and in similar news articles comment that drivers who fall asleep at the wheel and survive to relate it are simply excusing themselves having crashed or are just saying it’s a legitimate reason for crashing, and probably meaning that the driver is shirking any responsibility. If the claim of falling asleep is true, aren’t they just saying what happened? That could hold, unless there’s more context indicating they’re not taking any responsibility. Drivers falling asleep at the wheel happen all over the world. Let’s not be quick to judge; I have first-hand experience.

It is a legitimate reason, because there may be no other reason for such a crash. Yet, it is a terrible and devastating problem arising from diverse circumstances ranging from the foolishness of a driver to a melange of underlying ill fortune at the time stacked against a driver.

So driving drunk, or tired, or texting, is OK if you have a legitimate reason? I mean who knows what troubles the poor cabby was wrestling with?... The fact he could have killed four people is excusable given the correct, but unfortunate circumstances.

Roll out the, this is Thailand, stop thai bashing and go home if you don't like the way it is comments. Let's not forget it's the tourists fault, if they had stayed at home this poor taxi driver wouldn't have rolled with these Americans in his taxi.

Even if the taxi was an SUV as it appears it was, with four passengers one would have been in the front passenger seat and should have been more alert. No blame of course, just saying...an ounce of awareness.

The Americans had just got off a plane after 20/30 hours in the sky and got into a professional drivers cab.

Of course no blame is attached.

But do explain what you mean.

At last words of wisdom its a pity they are not arranged in the correct order

Sleeping at the wheel plus brake failure are well worn EXCUSES they are not an acceptable defence for dangerous and incompetent driving by anybody at anytime, ANYWHERE

This of course is nothing other than my personal opinion please dont let it spoil your sunday

Even if the taxi was an SUV as it appears it was, with four passengers one would have been in the front passenger seat and should have been more alert. No blame of course, just saying...an ounce of awareness.

Maybe the one in the passenger seat, or all of them for that matter, were as tired as the driver ?

Long haul flight, possibly a few scoops (alcoholic beverages) on the journey, time difference ?

When i take a taxi to the airport (mostly at night) the driver always thinks the plane won't wait for me and drives full speed over the tollway. 150-160 km/hr doing a slalom between other cars.

I don't understand why they have to that, i don't feel comfortable in a racing taxi in Thailand.

Save money for years.

Take months to agree a plan book and pay for a holiday.

Fly 10 - 12 hours, get in a taxi and 20 minutes after landing in a roll-over and off to hospital.

Great start to vacation.

Anybody notice any further reports about the injuries / recovery of the 4 tourists?

This would only happen in Thailand. Other countries aren't so greedy for money that they would stay up all day and night without sleep, risking their life and that of their passengers to make a few hundred extra baht. And then what do these taxi drivers do when they get paid? Blow it all on drugs (to stay awake even more) and bottles of whiskey to treat their friends at the street bar. I have seen them sitting with the motor running drinking whiskey while waiting for tourists to rip off by charging 300 baht for a 5-minute ride down the street. They are some of the worst people in Thailand, in many cases uneducated louts from Issan who haven't learned the manners to live in the city. I hope Uber causes all of these idiots to go out of business. There are a few good and honest taxi drivers, but by far the majority of them are a cheating, immoral, lazy bunch of layabouts who think that they deserve to make a good living fleecing tourists and can easily turn violent if you object to their scams. Despicable.

This would only happen in Thailand. Other countries aren't so greedy for money that they would stay up all day and night without sleep, risking their life and that of their passengers to make a few hundred extra baht. And then what do these taxi drivers do when they get paid? Blow it all on drugs (to stay awake even more) and bottles of whiskey to treat their friends at the street bar. I have seen them sitting with the motor running drinking whiskey while waiting for tourists to rip off by charging 300 baht for a 5-minute ride down the street. They are some of the worst people in Thailand, in many cases uneducated louts from Issan who haven't learned the manners to live in the city. I hope Uber causes all of these idiots to go out of business. There are a few good and honest taxi drivers, but by far the majority of them are a cheating, immoral, lazy bunch of layabouts who think that they deserve to make a good living fleecing tourists and can easily turn violent if you object to their scams. Despicable.

Please dont beat about the bush let us know what you think

When i take a taxi to the airport (mostly at night) the driver always thinks the plane won't wait for me and drives full speed over the tollway. 150-160 km/hr doing a slalom between other cars.

I don't understand why they have to that, i don't feel comfortable in a racing taxi in Thailand.

So why not grow some balls and tell them to slow down ? Or to scared ?

I have told many a wreck less idiot to slow down, even stop so I can get out and get another.... even taken over driving twice ....it's your life to matter, not some dimwit that thinks he is a pro driver.

Just as an aside, why not use the freaking Airport Rail Link? Why does anyone even use a taxi anymore from Suvarnabhumi airport when the ARL is much faster and more practical, not to mention cheaper and less likely to be in an accident? I thought most taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi would go out of business once the ARL opened (especially for trips downtown), I guess I was wrong.

Seriously, if I was a tourist coming to Thailand I'd either catch the train or rent a car. No taxis for me. Way too stressful to start a vacation on.

airport link is not convenient if you have 2 weeks worth of luggage. It is usually super crowded and nowhere to store large bags.

Yes it can get crowded and all (although usually only during morning and evening peak hour) but 4 people should easily be able to wheel a suitcase each down to the train and off the platform then catch the lift/elevator down to street level. From there they could have caught a cab to take them to their hotel. Tourists with large bags and suitcases catch the ARL every day.

Anyway, each to their own, just my thoughts. I know it won't help the family now that they're in hospital but just pointing out how easy it is to catch the ARL even with bags.

Just as an aside, why not use the freaking Airport Rail Link? Why does anyone even use a taxi anymore from Suvarnabhumi airport when the ARL is much faster and more practical, not to mention cheaper and less likely to be in an accident? I thought most taxi drivers at Suvarnabhumi would go out of business once the ARL opened (especially for trips downtown), I guess I was wrong.

Seriously, if I was a tourist coming to Thailand I'd either catch the train or rent a car. No taxis for me. Way too stressful to start a vacation on.

airport link is not convenient if you have 2 weeks worth of luggage. It is usually super crowded and nowhere to store large bags.

Yes it can get crowded and all (although usually only during morning and evening peak hour) but 4 people should easily be able to wheel a suitcase each down to the train and off the platform then catch the lift/elevator down to street level. From there they could have caught a cab to take them to their hotel. Tourists with large bags and suitcases catch the ARL every day.

Anyway, each to their own, just my thoughts. I know it won't help the family now that they're in hospital but just pointing out how easy it is to catch the ARL even with bags.

Maybe this is their first visit to Bangkok, travel to their destination airport, wait in line for check-in, security checks, wait for boarding, very long flight, can be a long walk to swampy passport check and sometimes a long wait, then wait for luggage.

By this stage they are super tired and want the easiest connection direct to the door of their hotel, so they take a taxi.

Many folks would do the same.

Possibly true.

The other side of the coin - 2 years back 2 uni buddies of my Thai son decided to fly from Don Muang to visit us in Chiang Mai, first flight ever for both of them.

About 45 minutes after the scheduled flight time son got a call 'we just arrived at DM airport, they didn't wait for us, it's not fair, the airline should understand about bad traffic, etc'. My son laughed his head off which made them more angry.

This year they tried again, they got to DM 3 hours before take off time.

Possibly true.

The other side of the coin - 2 years back 2 uni buddies of my Thai son decided to fly from Don Muang to visit us in Chiang Mai, first flight ever for both of them.

About 45 minutes after the scheduled flight time son got a call 'we just arrived at DM airport, they didn't wait for us, it's not fair, the airline should understand about bad traffic, etc'. My son laughed his head off which made them more angry.

This year they tried again, they got to DM 3 hours before take off time.

Is your Thai son your stepson or are you Thai ? I've heard lots of people describe having Thai wives, you are the first to have a Thai son.

Archived