Pink ID Card

HullyGully

Immigration does not know if you have one or not, thus it makes no sense to ask for it. Although some places may accept it instead of a rental contract, if you present it to them. Entirely up to you. It is not a requirement for an extension of stay to have a yellow housebook.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, MadMac said:

Immigration does not know if you have one or not, thus it makes no sense to ask for it. Although some places may accept it instead of a rental contract, if you present it to them. Entirely up to you. It is not a requirement for an extension of stay to have a yellow housebook.

Put it another way. There are immigration districts that it is mandatory that you have a YTB in their area to transfer your extension and to renew your extension. Its that simple.

7 minutes ago, MadMac said:

If you are saying some areas require a yellow housebook to get an extension of stay, I say this is simply wrong. A YTB is not and has never been a requirement to get an extension.

Thats exactly what I'm saying. Surin Immigration is one of them. A YTB is a requirement at that office. I have seen other immigration offices follow suit and even CNX is changing for the worst.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 7:50 PM, Chiengmaijoe said:

You voluntarily had a mugshot taken, and were finger-printed, but you don't have any reasons for it. If someone asked for my fingerprints, which has never happened so far in my life, I'd want to know why. I find it strange, but that seems to make me the odd one out here.

Apologies for late reply. I applied for the pink card simply because it was going to be a 15 min visit, based on others experiences, plus it was only a cost of 65 baht.

Why do I have photos with blue and white backgrounds ? because you never know what will be acceptable or useful.So at sometime in the future a pink card maybe of some use like at a Government Hospital or a BIB who can't interpret the details on my passport.

But my delay in answering was bought about mainly that last night we stayed at a local resort where normally I would offer my passport, or on most occasiosn they accept my wifes ID card,less work for them. Well with a flourish  I pulled out the pink ID card and presented it to the receptionist. She was very impressed, never having seen one before, and after reading every word photo copied it.And as an after thought she asked " do you have a passport" I answered "of course" but wasn't asked to produce it.

Like the Gov Hospital card for foreigners idea that was floated some time ago and then canned (yes I did get one) no one knows what is coming.

Right now you can't get a residence certificate from Imm to obtain a licence who would have thought that ? We are living in an environment of total confusion

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 1:39 AM, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Could you please be more specific?  Do you mean the Amphur offices for Mueang, about 300m west of the police station (old City)...which is where I wrongly started the Yellow Book process, and then was sent to the wrong Tessabon Office (There are at least two for Su Thep).

Amphoe is Thai for district, so amphoe office is district office, and there's only one. Near Three Kings.

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

Not so sure about that.

Some folks in this thread are discussing the pink card in relationship:

- To a yellow Tabien Baan book. In this case the pink card has a specific expiry date, in other words it's linked to that persons' current visa dates.

- But folks who have actual Permanent Residence status are also eligible to get the pink card and in terms of expiry it says, in Thai, 'lifetime'.  

When I got the pink card, at the main Chiang Mai amphur office, about 6 months ago, I asked whether I needed to carry my foreign passport. The answer immediately from the very pleasant senior lady officer in charge, in perfect clear English was (in my summary):

'No, for PR holders the rules are in many ways the same as for Thais. Thai people must carry their Thai ID card at all times but are not required to always carry their Thai passport and in fact the majority of Thais don't have a passport. The Thai ID card is issued for life but must be renewed because of one reason - the photo must be updated, but the ID number is for life.

For foreigners with PR there is no need to carry your passport if you have your pink Thai ID card with you, it also says 'lifetime'. 

But it's not the same policies when the pink card has an expiry date meaning that it's linked to a specific visa with an expiry date, also meaning there is no automatic renewal of that visa, therefore automatic renewal of the pink card. In this case the foreigner must carry their passport at all times, even if they have their pink Thai ID card with them.  

For PR holders you need to decide whether to always carry your passport or always carry your pink card. I encourage you to always carry your pink card, and leave your passport at home under good security.'

For the record, the back of my pink card says that's it's valid anywhere in Thailand with no restrictions.

My pink card, which I received in Chiang Mai a little over a week ago, say it's good for life. I am not a permanent resident.

• 3 months later...

Finally got my 'pink card' (not that I'm sure it's going to be useful) but anything here to give me a 'little more' status in Thai eyes is a good thing

Boring process and had to go back after submitting docs in the morning - about 4 hours total. Chanot, 2 witnesses, yellow book, passport etc.

3 hours ago, LannaGuy said:

Finally got my 'pink card' (not that I'm sure it's going to be useful) but anything here to give me a 'little more' status in Thai eyes is a good thing

Boring process and had to go back after submitting docs in the morning - about 4 hours total. Chanot, 2 witnesses, yellow book, passport etc.

Requirements seem to vary from Amphur to Amphur.

Hang Dong .In and out in 20 mins ,passport and yellow book ,no chanote or  witnesses.60 baht.

The only Gov office with any consistency and efficiency seems to be where you get your motor car or bike licence.

You can try using at hotels, sometimes it works sometimes not.Its more like a souvenir :smile: but Thais I have shown it to were very impressed ,maybe as they had never seen one.

My Hang Dong experience was a little different, but overall satisfactory.

No chanote, but I did need a witness (Puyai Baan). 60 Baht fee. About one hour.

Irritatingly, they would not accept my Work Permit as proof of abode, so I had to go to Promenada for a 'nangseu raprong'.

Of course it's useful. It establishes permanent abode and also - at least in my case - it is for life (talot chiwit).

• 7 months later...

Got my pink id card the other week. Used it to board internal flights from Swampy to Chiang Mai and back,  also used it to reserve two different hotels without problems. I like this card as the idea of losing my passport freaks me out, if I lost this all I have to do is go to the amphur's office and quote the id number and pay 60 baht.

On 7/31/2017 at 0:54 PM, SkyNets said:

Got my pink id card the other week. Used it to board internal flights from Swampy to Chiang Mai and back,  also used it to reserve two different hotels without problems. I like this card as the idea of losing my passport freaks me out, if I lost this all I have to do is go to the amphur's office and quote the id number and pay 60 baht.

My understanding is that the holders' name is still showing in Thai script? My lawyer friend spoke to someone at the ministry a few months ago about this, mentioning that probably 99% of the card holders can't read it. (But probably not true for the special group hilltribe folks etc., who probably can read it.)

The answer was 'not important'. 

Any other members have any info. on this point? Please share.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 7:13 PM, scorecard said:

Interesting, seems to be confusion all round.

On receiving mine the officer was perplexed why I would want one.It brings looks of amazement when I present it at a nearby  resort or hotel.Staff I have encountered, have just not seen one before maybe that will change but they all revert to asking for my passport for which I oblige.

Seems there has been no communication between Government and Hotel/Resort owners regarding the use of the ID card.

Also it was mentioned to me, on receipt, that should I change address its no longer relevant, understandably.

Mine sits in my wallet and never sees the light of day but at 60 b a reasonably cheap souvenir. It has my fingerprints and blood group but I am not planning any major crime:smile:

Archived