Chiang Khong Visa Run

Howdy chaps,

My visa extension expires in a few weeks and was thinking of doing a visa run to Chiang Khong, as it's relatively close to where I am right now. I have read other topics about this but they are quite old.

I would like to know what my chances are of being allowed a visa exemption stamp as a UK citizen. Also, do I need to pay for a Laos visa or can I simply go through and come straight back?

My history is 2 visa exemption stamps from flights in (1 extended) and 2 Tourist Visas from Vientiane (a single entry and a double entry - both extended for 1 month).

Thanks in advance for all helpful responses. :)

You will not have a problem dong a crossing for a 30 day visa exempt entry (G7 country rule) since you only have 2 previous ones,

You have to enter Laos or they will not stamp you back in the country. The fee for the Lao visa on arrival will be $35 US.

• Like 1

You will not have a problem dong a crossing for a 30 day visa exempt entry (G7 country rule) since you only have 2 previous ones,

You have to enter Laos or they will not stamp you back in the country. The fee for the Lao visa on arrival will be $35 US.

Thanks ubonjoe, as always you are extremely helpful and to the point. thumbsup.gif

A friend of mine attempted this today but was told border runs are not allowed. Luckily he had a plane ticket reserved to go back home so that sufficed. They said the flight he booked will be tracked.

His Thai history is very similar to mine, he just has 2 extra visa exempt stamps via land and he is Spanish.

Edited by Chesterpot

Not related to Chiang Khong crossing, but I was coming back through the Chong Mek crossing today and noticed a prominent sign on the thai immigration officers desk warning 'visa runners' (would have taken a photo off it but he was being a bit miserable checking me back in), sorry don't remember exactly what it said other than being a warning - is that a new sign or have they been warning visa runners at all borders.

The laos visa is us$35 for Brits but there's a sign up displaying differing rates for different nationalities. Don't forget you'll need one passport photo for a laos visa on arrival

I did the Chiang Kong border run a few days ago and immediately came back into Thailand without any issues .

I have a UK passport and came back on a Visa Exempt Stamp and it was my third consecutive one from that crossing and nothing was said .

The two previous times that I left from there, I got a minor integration and was told that I couldnt come straight back into Thailand again, so I waiting for ten minutes in Laos and then came back