Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong border hop/visa exemption

Hi all,

On Friday I'm planning to head from Chiang Mai to Chiang Khong via Green Bus. Then to hop the border into Laos and then back into Thailand. Stay one night and then head back to Chiang Mai the following morning.

I just want to know if this border location is still good use?

I am a bit worried that I will encounter problems returning into Thailand.

This will be my first ever border hop for a visa exemption. I have a UK passport.

Any tips for me?

Or is it simply a case of exiting Thailand, getting an exit stamp, crossing the friendship bridge, getting a Laos visa, entering Laos then turning around and heading back into Thailand & get an exemption stamp.

Kind regards

• You should have no problem getting a 30 day visa exempt entry at that border crossing.

Yes, once you are in Laos you can turn around and return to Thailand.

There is info lacking as to what his history of exempt entries was. He may of done several of them back to back already.

The OP will be doing his first one so he will not have a problem.

I know his previous entry was at Nongkai with a Tourist Visa from Vientiane.

There is info lacking as to what his history of exempt entries was. He may of done several of them back to back already.

The OP will be doing his first one so he will not have a problem.

I know his previous entry was at Nongkai with a Tourist Visa from Vientiane.

He might of had several exempt entries prior to his tourist visa.The officer will be alerted if a a person has more than 6 of them.

That is a bit concerning as I am due to travel to Chiang Khong tomorrow morning.

Hopefully that situation is unique?

Providing you do not have a series of visa exempt entries there will be no problem.

That is a bit concerning as I am due to travel to Chiang Khong tomorrow morning.

Providing you do not have a series of visa exempt entries there will be no problem.

Six Visa Exempts flags the IO to inquire further. Changing passports will not reset this count. Be aware your VisaExempt count is not based on "back to back" but total. This total is either "annual" or "lifetime" - I have read reports of people reporting it both ways - if there is a consensus on this, hopefully someone will reply with the details.

Entering on a 2nd or 3rd back-to-back may also be a problem, though it depends on your nationality and which point of entry. It is generally considered safest to get a Tourist Visa, though I realize that is quite a trek from the Chang Rai / Chaing Mai area of Thailand.

Please let us know how it goes.

Six Visa Exempts flags the IO to inquire further. Changing passports will not reset this count. Be aware your VisaExempt count is not based on "back to back" but total. This total is either "annual" or "lifetime" - I have read reports of people reporting it both ways - if there is a consensus on this, hopefully someone will reply with the details.

Entering on a 2nd or 3rd back-to-back may also be a problem, though it depends on your nationality and which point of entry. It is generally considered safest to get a Tourist Visa, though I realize that is quite a trek from the Chang Rai / Chaing Mai area of Thailand.

I have just returned back to Chiang Mai. The trip was extremely easy, I encountered no problems.

The border crossing was very quiet and the officials were friendly.

They didn't ask any questions and they even gave some sweets wub.png

Hopefully I can do this once more at Chiang Khong. I have a UK passport so would that increase my chances of another successful entry?

Thanks for the information thumbsup.gif

I have just returned back to Chiang Mai. The trip was extremely easy, I encountered no problems.

The border crossing was very quiet and the officials were friendly.

They didn't ask any questions and they even gave some sweets wub.png

Hopefully I can do this once more at Chiang Khong. I have a UK passport so would that increase my chances of another successful entry?

Thanks for the information thumbsup.gif

Your nationality does not matter other than the 30 day entry you get instead of 15. The number of visa exempt entries you have done is what effects you getting another entry.

Archived