Family Need To Raise Gbp 30,000

george

FAMILY NEED TO RAISE ฃ30,000 TO BRING COMA VICTIM HOME

The family of a man who's seriously ill in a Thai hospital after a motorbike crash are desperate to raise money to bring him home. Bob Ward fell into a coma after the accident but had no medical insurance, and has run up a hospital bill of thirty thousand pounds. Phil Brewster reports.

Six weeks ago Bob, from Huthwaite in Nottinghamshire, was involved in a motorbike crash on the holiday resort of Koh Samui in Thailand, and was rushed to hospital with severe head injuries.

Emma Edgar, Bob's daughter described his injuries: " He's got a fractured collar bone, fractured shoulder blade. He's fractured his toes, his fingers. He's still in a coma.

He's on a ventilator which is directly into his windpipe. He's also being fed oxygen".

Bob, a former RAF engineer, moved to Thailand six years ago to work as a partner in a diving school. At the time of the crash he had no medical insurance, and has subsequently run up medical bills totalling thirty thousand pounds. His family are now desperate to raise the ten thousand pounds needed to get him back to the UK.

His family are now desperate to raise the ten thousand pounds needed to get him back to the UK.

Mike Ward, Bob's brother says: " There's nothing we can do over here you see. It's not as if he's down at Kingsmill where we can go and see him or owt like that".

Emma's eager to have her father home: " If we get the money there as soon as the doctors give him the all clear to fly we can get him back. As soon as they say 'Yeah he's well enough', we just want to get him flying straight home".

Friends and colleagues of Bob in Thailand have already raised three thousand pounds. His family are now planning to hold fund-raising events in his home village to make up the rest.

--itv.com 2004-04-22

a hospital bill of thirty thousand pounds
He's on a ventilator which is directly into his windpipe. He's also being fed oxygen".

He's being held hostage under the two tier pricing system! :o

His family and friends should try to raise the funds and secure his release as soon as possible because the greedy hostage takers' ransom demand is likely to be increasing even during negotiations!

Get him out before they pull the plug on his respirator! :D

Snowleopard.

FAMILY NEED TO RAISE ฃ30,000 TO BRING COMA VICTIM HOME

The family of a man who's seriously ill in a Thai hospital after a motorbike crash are desperate to raise money to bring him home. Bob Ward fell into a coma after the accident but had no medical insurance, and has run up a hospital bill of thirty thousand pounds. Phil Brewster reports.

Six weeks ago Bob, from Huthwaite in Nottinghamshire, was involved in a motorbike crash on the holiday resort of Koh Samui in Thailand, and was rushed to hospital with severe head injuries.

m 2004-04-22

wonder if he was wearing a crash helmet ?

theres a lesson here for expats running around on bikes with no medical insurance or helmet .

Having spent the first 53 years of my life in Nottinghamshire may I translate a little:

yes, he would say "ayup" when meeting someone. perhaps even "ayup mi duck". That's acceptable even man to man.

"Kingsmill" is the hospital in Mansfield, the nearest large town to Huthwaite. Huthwaite was a mining village but I can't remember if it had a pit itself or not. Hucknall pit might have been the closest.

Bob's brother would say what would sound like to you "Dunt the hospital ger owt "

And finally they wouldn't say" in't pit" but "down t' pit."

Derek

Khon Kaen

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh now I see how the Empire dwindled. No one could understand what the other was saying. I can get a grip on what Queenie says though.

"One is not amused by the size of one's bill. Phillip, dear, go sell one of our properties and we'll bring the poor boy home". "Lizzie, my little sizzler, how does Orsetralia sound?" "Is that still ours? Fair enough, but can we really get that much for that arid dirt heap downunder?"

sorry gents, the guy was old enough to know that any day at anytime at any place in the world something like such an accident can happen to anyone as soon as one sticks the nose out on the street.

How in heaven can he live without any responsablility for himself and his family and run around without an insurance. I simply can`t cope that.

wonder if he was wearing a crash helmet ?

theres a lesson here for expats running around on bikes with no medical insurance or helmet .

Make sure your health insurance does cover you on a bike!!!

Royal & Sun Alliance 0%

Bupa Blue Cross 50%

if he has serious head injuries then he obviously wasnt wearing a helmet ,in which case no insurance company would pay out anyway.

gotta feel sorry for the bloke.but, if his in a coma why not leave him here.theres not much more can be done

if he has serious head injuries then he obviously wasnt wearing a helmet ,in which case no insurance company would pay out anyway.

gotta feel sorry for the bloke.but, if his in a coma why not leave him here.theres not much more can be done

With a family bereft of money even leaving the guy here sounds an unlikely outcome. He'd need care, and care costs.

sure he would need all of those things, but the bill is getting pretty big and the family cant support him, so what does the hospital do?

do they turn him off?

wheel him out and leave him in a bar with a beer in his hand?

would hate to think that they would just switch him off.

surely not

Hello, can anyone get serious here ? I had a friend in a similar situation a few years ago. I contacted the Consular Section at The Australian Embassy, who didn't say yes or no, but said they would investigate. It would have been a full fledged Medevac.

The good news - a previously unknown (to me) relative arrived and paid the hospital bill.

The bad news - he died a day later.

I got a call from the consul (can't remeber his name) who assured me that medevac via the embassy had not been ruled out.....

Ok so he was old enough to know better. Still sad when it happens though.

Raising funds. Why is it so difficult? if he has friends and more importantly family it should not be too hard. ie: run up the credit cards sell the motor, cash some savings, re mortgage the house, take a bank loan. Not so hard to raise 30K. This i san emergency after all. Get him back home and the NHS will help.

I'm not being hard but jeez if he were my bro I'd sell my house if I had to.......