Yorkshire Tea Bags

Yorkshire tea? They grow tea in Yorkshire? I'd have thought it way too cold up there.

Just listening to BBC Radio 4, they are saying there's half a dozen commercial tea growing enterprises within the UK the most northerly in Scotland (Perthshire). Reporting from the Chelsea Flower Show, they say this years harvest is going to be good, very good.

Tops supermarkets often have products from Waitrose, I even saw some rich tea biscuits in there once but don't remember seeing Yorkshire tea anywhere other than "Friendship" supermarket in Pattaya..even they don't have a regular supply normally have very expensive PG tips and much more reasonably priced Typhoo.

when I lived in the UK I liked that loose tea in the small dark green box 'Special Blend' or something...don't know what region it was associated with...my at-the-time wife's irish family useta drink it exclusively up in Glasgow...

my then MIL got very serious when she instructed me, as a yank, in the way of making a good cuppa: warming the pot and etc...and it paid off as later I set out some tea and biscuits in Brighton and this english guy who I knew was very fussy remarked: 'mmm...this is a very good cup of tea...'

when he discovered that I had made it he became indignant...sorta like someone had cheated to have him 'give it up'...

it was hilarious and in the very best tradition of classic british humour...think of DelBoy and Rodney in 'Only fools and horses' trying to con someone...

I don't drink much tea but I'd like to find a box of that brew again...

sods law I bought 3 boxes x 100 typhoo tea bags a couple of weeks ago while there was no Yorkshire tea in sight now its everywhere laugh.png

Friendship ( sometimes )

NoQ never heard of them before but thanks for the link

London Pie Shop ( where is that ? )

Yorkies ( at Jomtien ? )

Spoilt for choice in Pattaya.

Tesco Lotus in On Nut occasionally had 'Tesco Finest' Assam tea imported in stock but the supply seemed sporadic at best.

"Yorkshire Tea' was a blend developed by the famous Harrogate Betty's Tea Rooms and is a fair drop too and that's coming from a Lancastrian.....

Has anyone found Yorkshire tea in Bangkok? Or Tetleys?

I managed to get some PG tips from Top Market at Robinsons on Sukhumvit they will suffice for a bit

I have checked Villa Market at Phrom Phong and Foodland on Soi 16, Asok

• 7 months later...

Our Thai "sister" thought that Liptons was the tea of choice for Brits.

Last year we brought her 5 boxes of Yorkshire tea and she could not believe the difference. She has given up Liptons, Chinese tea and Vietnamese chemical coffee and now drinks Yorkshire tea neat...no milk or sugar.

That's one strong stomach.

• 2 weeks later...

My almost 99-year-old mum sends me these babies out every so often.

It's the best tea by far that I have ever drunk.  This blend is strong and very refreshing.  Two pint mugs of that first thing in the morning beats any hangover  ...

I used to have the loose tea many years ago when in the UK, but it became too much faff emptying the pot and disposing of the leaves. Tea bag technology is much better than it was 30 years or so ago and the tea is perfectly acceptable.  

They will deliver to Thailand, but it's quite expensive.  http://www.ringtons.co.uk/

Ringtons_tea.jpg

• 1 year later...

Archived