Islamic salmon ?

crusty

Printed on the packet of Norwegian smoked salmon I had purchased from Macro, Lamai, Koh Samui was Product of Thailand and The Central Islamic Council of Thailand. What is this all about as I understand this salmon is a Norwegian product not Thai ?

Fish from Norway but processed and packed in Thailand and therefore a 'product' of Thailand ?

Similar can be found in the UK where bacon, sourced in Denmark, is labeled as "British" product (But the Muslims lay no claim!)

(1) The smoking was done in Thailand - hence the "product of Thailand".

(2) The Islamic Council has simply certified that the product is halal. I presume that means the salmon was brutally killed by slitting its throat without stunning whilst the executioner said a pray dedicated to the Moslem "god". (Or, more likely, all the products used in processing it were "halal", so, for example, no pork products such as gelatine were used.)

The halal certification is a tax levied on non muslims to pay for the certification itself. In Australia for example, this money goes toward building mosques etc. So, if you think you don't support islam, you actually do.

today, dear children, we get a lecture from a renowned scholar pertaining to halal slaughtering of fish cheesy.gif

I presume that means the salmon was brutally killed by slitting its throat without stunning whilst the executioner said a pray dedicated to the Moslem "god".

today, dear children, we get a lecture from a renowned scholar pertaining to halal slaughtering of fish cheesy.gif

I presume that means the salmon was brutally killed by slitting its throat without stunning whilst the executioner said a pray dedicated to the Moslem "god".

Oh dear. Somebody lost their sense of humour?

Nothing to do with method of "slaughter", gelatine or prayer.

Apparently Salmon counts as Halal because it is has scales:

"Eat any fish that has scales, and do not eat what does not have scales". Iman Baqir

Halal - Haram Food & Drink FISH - ISLAMIC - LAWS

"And lo, it was seen that truth is indeed stranger than the fiction of the unread and ignorant...... who had not bothered to Google"

(Don't lose your sense of "humour" now) wai2.gif

"Eat any fish that has scales, and do not eat what does not have scales". Iman Baqir

That's necessary, but not sufficient. The producer will have had to provide a halal certificate for the salt used in curing for the smoked salmon to be declared halal. I presume a similar certificate will be required for the wood used for smoking. The requirements for halal certification are thoroughly anal. (Salt requiring a halal certificate is based upon personal experience.)

The halal certification is a tax levied on non muslims to pay for the certification itself. In Australia for example, this money goes toward building mosques etc. So, if you think you don't support islam, you actually do.

the same applies to kosher certification. the only difference is that this indirect tax is not used to build mosques smile.png

the same applies to kosher certification. the only difference is that this indirect tax is not used to build mosques smile.png

There is another difference: kosher food isn't being foisted upon the general public, halal food is (and often without being labelled as such). Here in Thailand all Big C/Lotus beef is labelled halal, so it's a matter of putting aside one's distaste for halal or not eating beef.

There is another difference: kosher food isn't being foisted upon the general public, halal food is (and often without being labelled as such). Here in Thailand all Big C/Lotus beef is labelled halal, so it's a matter of putting aside one's distaste for halal or not eating beef.

distaste or not = up to you!

to acquire more "distaste" i suggest you do some research how non-halal slaughtering, especially of fowl in Europe, is carried out, learn how male piglets are castrated without any trauma reduction or

Maceration, a little known part of egg production, is the mass killing of male chicks—of no use to the industry since they don’t lay eggs. Discarded like trash, these baby birds—hundreds of millions of them a year, just in the United States alone—are dumped into massive grinders while fully conscious, or sometimes simply thrown live into trash bags to suffocate, on the first day of their lives.

http://blog.humanesociety.org/wayne/2014/09/unilever-male-chicks.html

coffee1.gif

Speaking of Thailand, the only significant source of Kosher products comes from Chabad in Bangkok. You might find a few Kosher products in other stores, but not many. Thailand has only a tiny number of resident Jews and only a portion of them would be following Kosher diets. In my experience most Israeli tourists don't (most restaurants catering to Israelis do not offer Kosher food).

On the other hand Muslims are a significant minority group in Thailand. There is no equivalency in the situation but I have to admit I don't know anything about the charge of Halal taxes going to mosques. I'm skeptical but I'm sure such things vary from country to country.

I find the entire topic, complaining about Halal and Kosher in your case Naam, to be suspiciously toxic. They're coming to force feed you Halal or Kosher. Give us a break from the irrational complaints about NOTHING.

If true, that seems to me to be a PRACTICAL matter.

As we all know, Thais are crazy about eating pork and beef is not popular, except among Thai Muslims.

I see no issue with beef being Halal at all.

It's like people are taking pains to find things to complain about and blame Muslims.

Nothing to do with method of "slaughter", gelatine or prayer.

Halal - Haram Food & Drink FISH - ISLAMIC - LAWS

"And lo, it was seen that truth is indeed stranger than the fiction of the unread and ignorant...... who had not bothered to Google"

(Don't lose your sense of "humour" now) wai2.gif

Never heard of Imam Baqir, but it is clear in Islamic law that all that comes from the sea is halal. If something is added (and definitely not smoke or salt) it may require a halal certificate. If no halal certificate is required, then it is a scam to sell certificates when not needed. If You have lived in Muslim areas, you will see shops called "halal butchers" but you will never see "halal fishmongers".

It really matters how you feel about:

(a) Cows having their throats brutally slashed (often carelessly) without prestunning, and being left to die an agonising death

(cool.png One's meat being dedicated to a pagan moon god

© Paying a "tax" to finance Islam, Islamic expansionism and Islamic terrorism.

Personally, I have a beef about all the above.

It really matters how you feel about:

(a) Cows having their throats brutally slashed (often carelessly) without prestunning, and being left to die an agonising death

(cool.png One's meat being dedicated to a pagan moon god

© Paying a "tax" to finance Islam, Islamic expansionism and Islamic terrorism.

Personally, I have a beef about all the above.

Islamophobia much?

Islamophobia much?

Ah, "islamophobia", a word like "racist", designed to halt any discussion of the vilest of behaviours in the name of "political correctness" (or "The Religion of Peace") by repudiating the author. Best avoided - at least in civilised, educated society.

And it's hardly an irrational "phobia" when they really are out to kill you. And you as a gay man really should know that. Fancy being thrown off a tall building? I don't. How keen are you on being thrown from your death from the Baiyoke Tower?

Keep apologising for the Islamists and that day may well come.

Islamophobia much?

Ah, "islamophobia", a word like "racist", designed to halt any discussion of the vilest of behaviours in the name of "political correctness" (or "The Religion of Peace") by repudiating the author. Best avoided - at least in civilised, educated society.

And it's hardly an irrational "phobia" when they really are out to kill you. And you as a gay man really should know that. Fancy being thrown off a tall building? I don't. How keen are you on being thrown from your death from the Baiyoke Tower?

Keep apologising for the Islamists and that day may well come.

Didn't shut you up. Did it?

they got smoked salmon on the breakfast buffets at most hotels that I've stayed at in arab countries...whenever I stayed in one and had to go into work I useta make a couple of smoked salmon sandwiches to take with...

and I said to one of the breakfast supervising staff (he looked like a pakistani fellow): 'that jewish salmon is quite nice...do you fly it in from Tel Aviv?...'

he then looked concerned and went to investigate...

Archived