Thirteen Years today on the trudge to happy destiny....

In view of naysayers and malcontents posting their frustration at those of us who acknowledge that we have packed it in, i.e. drinking, I considered not saying anything to mark my thirteenth sobriety anniversary which falls today. The truth is I don’t go on about it. I simply acknowledge that I am an alcoholic and I don’t drink anymore. I post here and that is about it beyond going to AA meetings occasionally and helping people on an individual basis. I do not endeavour to drag drunks out of bars to teach them the errors of their ways. Most people in my real life don’t know I am a sober drunk. Don’t get me wrong, I am not in denial - if I felt it would serve a useful purpose I would tell people that I am a sober drunk. If you are happy with your relationship with alcohol then so am I.

All I can say is I am chuffed to bits about another landmark anniversary for me and am amazed by how my life continues to change for the better. My wife and two kids remain happy campers - they really are the icing on the cake, the supreme blessing and gift of sobriety. In addition to the happiness my family brings me, this last year I gained a teaching credential from a British university and in fact earned a ‘distinction’, the top honour. This was important to me as I flunked out of university as a young man largely because of my drinking and I have had a chip on my shoulder about it ever since. I’m just about to start a full masters degree at the world’s most prestigious school of education and I am really excited about that. I treat my continuing education as a sort of amend to my deceased mother who fought to obtain me the best education money could buy and whom I let down badly by being unable to act on this gift due to being drunk. I have had a good year all round, including gains in my physical health and general well being.
I owe it in no small part to not drinking and joining AA just less than thirteen years ago. I couldn’t have sustained not drinking without AA. So to my fellow sober drunks, many thanks for the support and fellowship you offer here and elsewhere and to those of you who are struggling let me assure you it can be done and it is worth battling for. But remember, it can only be done one day at a time. Forget yesterday, forget tomorrow, it’s all about today.

Not another look at me I have not had a drink in x years, why go on and on about it? nobody else is interested and why should we be.

Because it is a monumental achievement for an alcoholic to abstain from drinking for 1 year, let alone 13!

If you are not an alcoholic, you won't understand but please don't try to belittle the feat of the OP.

Well done Gerry - it is awesome!

Not another look at me I have not had a drink in x years, why go on and on about it? nobody else is interested and why should we be.

Who are you to assert that "nobody else is interested"?

You can speak for yourself and nobody else.

Personally, I thought it was a nicely written, honest and interesting OP - and possibly helpful to others who may be dealing with similar issues.

• 3 weeks later...

Winning this battle is worth writing about. Except to a troll. Nice to hear your story, Gerry. Depending on your definition of "alcoholic", I was kind of between a heavy drinker and a problem drinker, but not "hooked". When diagnosed with a heart attack, I was able to quit on the spot without any problems at all - no need for AA. I've just passed the two year mark, and I get only the very occasional twinge to have a beer, which is nothing. The important point is the resulting higher quality of life, as Gerry has reminded us.

*Heavy drinker -- hmm. For me, it was 8-10 beers a night (never drank during the day), 5-7 days a week. That might not be heavy for some, but it was quite damaging to me.

** I also quit smoking at the same time - a battle, but not too difficult when your life is on the line. :) But what an amazing difference to my quality of life. Will never be able (allowed) to run a marathon, but cycling that distance is a breeze.

People with differing views on drinking, drunks and their stories are not trolls. If drinkers have given up they really ought to move on and stop droning on about it.

Gerry's story shouldn't affect you in any way, unless of course through his success you see your own failures.

Well done Gerry!

People with differing views on drinking, drunks and their stories are not trolls. If drinkers have given up they really ought to move on and stop droning on about it.

Have you ever thought that you might me a sad human being?

Not embarrassed at all at being responsible for a member leaving the forum due to you trolling, you want to kick him in the teeth for a great achievement.

You can't be sober so I feel some compassion - albeit you haven't got the balls to admit you have a problem.

Not embarrassed at all at being responsible for a member leaving the forum due to you trolling, you want to kick him in the teeth for a great achievement.

You can't be sober so I feel some compassion - albeit you haven't got the balls to admit you have a problem.

Obvious thai3 has a drinking problem, why else would someone put a photo of in ugly farmers daughter as their avatar?

I bet he wasn't sober when he meet her, or is it a him, hard to tell.

Obvious thai3 has a drinking problem, why else would someone put a photo of in ugly farmers daughter as their avatar?

I bet he wasn't sober when he meet her, or is it a him, hard to tell.

:cheesy:

• 1 month later...

GerryBScot writes a compelling little story about his early life on booze. He is to be congratulated on his achievement. It is sad to see other forum members denigrate his changed life. It is an "if only" scenario, had he not boozed as a young man, where would life have taken him. I hope your Mother will be very proud of you.

I'd just like to say I have not had a drink all day, when do I stop telling people?

Rather that try to ridicule people with drinking problems who have managed to do the almost impossible and quit for many years, I suggest you ask them how they did it and try the same yourself.

Why is it necessary to be rude to people that are proud of their accomplishments?? Jealousy I bet. Why would anyone who does not care about someone elses sobriety even look at this thread and then make childish comments? Jealousy.

Or denial....

• 4 months later...
7 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

7 weeks for me now,yesterday was the first day i did not think about beer,some kind of landmark?

I remember that day well. For me the days i thought about drinking got farther and farther apart and now there is hardly ever a day I think about booze.

Keep doing whatever you are doing!

On 12/1/2016 at 10:43 AM, marko kok prong said:

7 weeks for me now,yesterday was the first day i did not think about beer,some kind of landmark?

I'd put that in the win column.  Keep it up!

Wanna smile?  Figure out how much money you've saved.  I used to go out on a Friday with a couple of hundred $$$ in my pocket and wake up on Monday with a headache, a few coins and lots of ATM stubs.  Just knowing I could go out with less than $50 and come home with enough left over for tomorrow's lunch was a treat.

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats gerryBScot !

I read your post and do not see it as boasting. It's sharing your experiences and acknowledging the fruits of no longer being a drunk.

I don't generally share unless asked either. I don't want to project my stuff on someone else. I don't drink, my wife is happy and so am I.

If I were still drinking I'd still be following the little brain over a cliff, and ruining this loving relationship with zero conflict nor chaos.

If it's good at 13 years it will be even better as time passes for you, I'm sure of it.

Congratulations. I have not quit drinking, but in order to lose some weight I have drastically cut back. Before I decided to start losing weight I would have a bourbon or two every day after I got home from work. Now I might have one drink a week. I have lost about 14 pounds (6.4 kg) in two months without much effort.

The savings are a good thing also.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 1:12 PM, Dagnabbit said:

The 'trudge' to happiness sounds rather depressing.

If you are still miserable and 'on the way' to happiness after 13 years clean, I feel sorry for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have a point. The trudge to happy destiny is an AA oxymoron - go figure that one out!

Archived