Chiang Mai Club

francois

hi'

it has been a little time that we decided to make a kind of appointment on a random basis

we can meet on wenesday, and on friday, which is nice for most of us .. I guess :o

but, a first meeting on a wenesday, we were a few... on the first friday we were less ...

I went back once or twice, but since did not go ...

I just felt that no one really wanted to get into it.

having meeting with someone, alright, BUT ...

how can we do if we don't accept the others that obviously are not as fitted-in as some of us are, can't we share instead of thinking, "oh this one is too ...blabla"?

I do believe that this not the right way to do things.

w can't have, let's say, a meeting point if a big part of the people concerned are going to stay away from it, especially if the ones cencerned know a lot about living here.

Is it really impossible to have something in common ?

does everyone want to stay in his own little corner .. and please "don't disturb" ?

Acceptance is a difficult word to get into practise.

I just quote this from another thread ...

Went to the club once. Threw up. Never been back since.

nothing to say about this ...

if this sentence reflects this meeting day, I feel that I'm right about the "club" ...

what do you think of it and of our meetings ...

and please, no phony-excuse!

cheers

francois

People who don't know each do need to have something or some purpose in common as an "ice breaker". Why don't you try and do something for charity, disabled kids, hilltribe education fund or some such thing. Use the forum to get it organised and have meetings with interested forum members who live in Chiang Mai. It might work. Just needs someone with drive such as yourself to get it going.

hi'

I do agree with you lamphun, but as I said "we" had a starting point ... meeting each-other

it turns out that it looks to me that not many are interested in :o

People who don't know each do need to have something or some purpose in common as an "ice breaker".
I do agree with this, for sure, but we met, and we did need this ...

does the pattaya club or any others have a special thing as you mention some?

I repeat myself ... Acceptance is a difficult word to get into practise ...

Why don't you try and do something for charity, disabled kids, hilltribe education fund or some such thing. Use the forum to get it organised and have meetings with interested forum members who live in Chiang Mai. It might work

we did not intend to have a charity meeting .. just an expat's thing, you know, exchange

share infos etc ...

it was intended to make people living here to meet, that's all ...

Just needs someone with drive such as yourself to get it going.

is it because I ask the why, that makes you think that I would like this to go on ?

think : if no one is interested to meet, what could make one moves for something we are supposed to have in common as a charity or concern about people.

I thought once, that the fact to live here was a common thing enough to be shared.

this is the reason of this thread, nothing more.

francois

The meetings, such as they were, were very worthwhile. It was most enjoyable to have a chance to meet and put names to faces and understand what really makes us tick.

It is just a great pity that general apathy made so few people turn up.

I am all for arranging more get-togethers for T-V contributors & their significant others. The benefits lie in the meeting, no additional "reason" is required.

I really have no interest in meeting people from the Internet. I have plenty of friends already.

I am not my real self here anyway, and I don't really expect other people to be. :o

I wouldn't mind if the real weirdoes (AKA the gentleman) were forced to post a picture somewhere just to satisfy my curiosity, but I don't really want to meet them, unless it were by coincidence. Coincidence would be cool. :D

I really have no interest in meeting people from the Internet. I have plenty of friends already.

I am not my real self here anyway, and I don't really expect other people to be. :o

I wouldn't mind if the real weirdoes (AKA the gentleman) were forced to post a picture somewhere just to satisfy my curiosity, but I don't really want to meet them, unless it were by coincidence. Coincidence would be cool. :D

Likewise

Unless of course they are girls/women of a certain age and a nice personality. They would however be required to pay for their own beer and possibly for mine as well ... :D

Me too, what G-P said

As I put in my post in the pre-meeting thread - the finally agreed venue, while "nice" is too expensive for many and too "nice"

Cosy get togethers are better in somewhere more laid back and less formal, which is why I suggested the "Home" restaurant near Rydges - cheap, laid back, and good food with very cold beers. Pretty staff of "good" girls too so the missus wouldn't object to being there.

Another alternative could be the writers club on Ratchadumnoern, or Mad Dog or anywhere where expats naturally congregate and the music is quiet enough to hold a conversation.

My experience in the UK is that the venue often decides the survival of these group meetings.

• 2 weeks later...

Gaz Chiangmai,

I will be going up to Chiang Mai on the 12th of May for a few days and would like some more info on this "Writers Club" you wrote about, do you have anykind of address? If you or anyone else have any other places that expats hang out after biz or just to socialize, I would like to hear about them. Going up for business but also like the place as I've been there a few times and will be moving up whenever I can. Thanks for any help. :o

hi'

as I wrote in another thread related to this ...

wenesday in mango tree around 6h30pm ...

see you there

kringle, just come by :o

mango tree is on Loi Kroh road right side beginning of the street :D

francois

francois, Thanks for the invite and I'll bring a friend with me if it's OK. I've been up there a few times before and the wife has friends up there. I now know a few people up there but I also think it's nice to meet new people. Been trying to put some kind of list together of places that we can check out and see what's happenning. I'm pretty sure I can find the place with the directions you gave. Thanks :o