Whats your belief ?

What do you believe in ?  

159 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry but I can't make sense of the offered choices.

It seems to imply that the very idea of "God" is linked to one precise religion, which it isn't

Wondering if "good" in the "good & evil" choice is a typo ("God"?) because the moral concepts seem disconnected from a choice about one's beliefs IMO

Can't vote then (not that anyone cares)

Dear oh dear, splitting hairs already, I and I think "generally" God is referred to by Christians.

If you disagree state what YOU would like to see? Instead of just criticising.

Then, Skeptic can advise if he wants to adopt that into the poll or not.

I merely set it up for him to assist him.

Agnostic, realistically it's rather unlikely that there is any sort of afterlife. Be it with (a) god(s), heaven, hell or some special dimension. The idea of seeing your loved ones again is nice thought. No person ever came back with evidence of there being anything, some people claim to be connected to an other 'realm'... When I die I'll find out. I assume there is nothing though. Just being a positive, respectfull chap, helping others out, making the most of it. If there is any greater power after this I'm sure he/she/it/them will acknowledge me being overall not a bad person. Met a nutjob Christian covert while I was in Oz, he disagreed. Telling me I'd burn in hell even if I did good but not believe in Jezus. 55555

Buddhism has no god, and the core of it is no religion but a way of life. Most Thai don't take it very stricly though (I don't blame them, got to enjoy some alcohol and sex) and instead and a fair share of aninism to it (fear of ghosts, offering to please ghosts etc.). I do like a good part of what Buddhism stands for, wouldn't call myself one though. Though compared to have your avarage Thai person is, I'd be just as much or less a Buddhist as any of them. My wife identified herself as one but in day to day life we did exactly the same things, would visit a Wat 1-2 times a year. She was fearful of ghosts but that is not buddhism. I think if the Buddha would come back today he wouldn't be very amused as to how the teachings are put into practise around Asia...

Religion is not a personally acquired belief system. It is almost entirely determined by your place of birth and indoctrination by your parents, who in turn were so influenced by their birthplace and parents.

Unfortunately, religion makes good people bad and it DOESN'T make bad people good.

What is the purpose of the OP? Is it a serious research question?

Thats why "other religion" is up there if you have belief in one of the many others.

If "Skeptic" wants to add or delete or modify any options just PM me.

The human condition is such that we are forever faced with the possibility of creating the word God, and then discussing forever what the definition is. As such it is unknowable.

The word choice "belief" is quite a good choice. Probably the only choice.

This issue was first asked a long time ago. Religions were the result of people answering it, and organizing around it for reasons including a belief in the divine but also many much more important issues. Politics. Safety. Protection. Nation state. And so on.... The result has been that the word is politicized.

To ask the question is the only valid question, IMHO.

The next would be: Do you do something with asking this question? i.e. Does it affect your life, and if so, in what ways?

The Big Bang Theory and evolution of species through a process of natural selection.

Certainly reasonable to "believe in" those two things, but what preceded the Big Bang? Whatever your answer, what then preceded that? And before that? And before that? ...

Don't get me wrong. I'm kind of an agnostic I guess, but I think there's a difference between the merely unknown, and the unknowable.

To be religious simplified:

yes) I want to dedicate myself to other people's rules

no) I wish to stay open minded and live my life the best way I can

Religious people are good workforce for the people in power. Just like worker ants doing everything for their queen. Once people has accepted the religion, they no longer have the full ability to question what is right and what is not. They simply follow the leader for good and bad.

It is early days yet but it gives me some hope for this world to see the Atheists leading the way. A majority would be nice but longest journeys begin with small steps.

It is early days yet but it gives me some hope for this world to see the Atheists leading the way. A majority would be nice but longest journeys begin with small steps.

I agree.

Then again, majority of people are de facto atheists. Majority of people do religious things as it has been polite to do so.

In my county, people 'belong to the church' mainly because the church offers nice environment for weddings. Very few people go to the churches except for the times it's socially mandatory.

As the knowledge increases, beliefs reduces.

Yes because if the atheists "win" the world will be a better place . North Korea, the real paradise on earth.

Yes because if the atheists "win" the world will be a better place . North Korea, the real paradise on earth.

Why do you think North Korea is the real paradise on Earth?

You've got to smile when ignorant people try and equate NK to atheism. That country with its cult of the deceased great leader who is worshiped as a god. Yes, that is what atheism is all about. Atheism is about thinking rationaly, reason, enlightenment. They are in pretty short supply in NK.

Looks like could do with a healthy dose yourself.

Why do you think North Korea is the real paradise on Earth?

North Korea is effectively an atheist state. The commenter about it being a better place refers only to that fact.

You've got to smile when ignorant people try and equate NK to atheism. That country with its cult of the deceased great leader who is worshiped as a god. Yes, that is what atheism is all about. Atheism is about thinking rationaly, reason, enlightenment. They are in pretty short supply in NK.

Looks like could do with a healthy dose yourself.

The only single thing that is common to ALL atheists is that they don't believe in a deity. Some atheists are definitely not rational or enlightened except in their non-belief. That is why your opening sentence is flawed. North Korea IS effectively an atheist state.

Archived