Tourist arrested for feeding fish

snoop1130

If so, can he get extension after extension and stay pretty much as long as he likes before finally paying the 2,000 baht expected fine? And if that's the case, I wonder how many TVF posters will be "feeding the fish" as a low cost alternative to the now discredited visa runs?

There are special extensions available at Immigration. When someone I knew was on bail for a minor drugs possession offence, the police kept his passport, though the bail was deposited with the court. When he had to extend, the court supplied a letter for Immigration, the police just handed him his passport and told him to return it when he had the extension stamp. The temptation to run to the border was very strong, especially as we knew he'd be deported anyway, but just in case he was on the Immigration computer he resisted the temptation, got his stamp (I can't remember if he had to pay) and duly returned the passport to the police.

Wow. I think I just heard the sound of a hundred dim bulbs all being switched on at once. Thank goodness dim bulbs don't use much juice.

Being arrested and having to pay 100k bht bail is obviously way OTT and I wonder how he was caught doing this blink.png ?

Not that I condone him feeding sea fish as it can be harmful. It was either in the Red Sea or Maldives I was told that diving visitors were feeding Napolean Wrasse boiled eggs, which resulted in the Napoleans eventually dying. No idea whether this is true or not, but it wouldn't suprise me as its far from their natural diet.

All the dumb comments about feeding fish. In Australian national parks, you are requested not to feed the wild animals, birds, and why, because bread crumbs and the other food stuffs that are fed to the birds etc,. are not part of their natural diet, therefore, can cause sickness and or death. Same with feeding fish bread crumbs.Please , do your research before knocking everything the thais do. They are not the ignorant ones in the matter.

All the dumb comments about feeding fish. In Australian national parks, you are requested not to feed the wild animals, birds, and why, because bread crumbs and the other food stuffs that are fed to the birds etc,. are not part of their natural diet, therefore, can cause sickness and or death. Same with feeding fish bread crumbs.Please , do your research before knocking everything the thais do. They are not the ignorant ones in the matter.

I think the reason people are coming down on it hard is that there are so many other things happening which get a far lower fine. If penalties were more fairly apportioned then no one would mind. However, these are sea fish and no matter what any one thinks they are not the property of any one country. What would happen if a swimmer drowns, fish will feed on the corpse so is the dead person going to be fined for feeding the fish? An extreme example I agree but when dealing with animals that can go anywhere without a passport in the sea it is difficult to see how fines can be levied. Fishing with explosives yes, clear case but breaking some bread hardly seems justified in an arrest and fine

I think the reason people are coming down on it hard is that there are so many other things happening which get a far lower fine. If penalties were more fairly apportioned then no one would mind. However, these are sea fish and no matter what any one thinks they are not the property of any one country. What would happen if a swimmer drowns, fish will feed on the corpse so is the dead person going to be fined for feeding the fish? An extreme example I agree but when dealing with animals that can go anywhere without a passport in the sea it is difficult to see how fines can be levied. Fishing with explosives yes, clear case but breaking some bread hardly seems justified in an arrest and fine

Bad example.

Feeding the fish is both harmful to the fish and the environment.

Bad example.

why is it harmful, just look at the rabit fish in the similans, they are well feed by the divers/diveboats.

Excellent, something is being done.

In a normal country you would be right ....but this is Thailand...Only foreigners will be punished... and not the Thais. even if they cause extensive damages to corals ....witch I have seen doing. dropping ankers and letting Tourists walk on corals...at Koh Chang. to be fair, not all boats dropped there anker on the corals. only the lazy boat drivers. the others went hook there boat to a Boei a bit further that was tied to a concrete block under water.

Best regards.

Bad example.

Depends what you feed them but for normal stuff that people feed them no it isnt dangerous. As for the environment there are far worse things happening in that area in Thailand. Feeding fish is the least problem they have. If the seas were pristine I would agree but they are far from that.

Excellent, something is being done.

In a normal country you would be right ....but this is Thailand...Only foreigners will be punished... and not the Thais. even if they cause extensive damages to corals ....witch I have seen doing. dropping ankers and letting Tourists walk on corals...at Koh Chang. to be fair, not all boats dropped there anker on the corals. only the lazy boat drivers. the others went hook there boat to a Boei a bit further that was tied to a concrete block under water.

Best regards.

I know of a few examples where Thais dropping anchor in the wrong place have been punished. On all divesites here the boats can moor at mooringlines, no anchor usage necessary.

Bad example.

Depends what you feed them but for normal stuff that people feed them no it isnt dangerous. As for the environment there are far worse things happening in that area in Thailand. Feeding fish is the least problem they have. If the seas were pristine I would agree but they are far from that.

More problems does not mean other problems should be ignored.

Bad example.

why is it harmful, just look at the rabit fish in the similans, they are well feed by the divers/diveboats.

Good point. I went on a Similans/Burmese banks liveaboard several years ago, and all the big fish had gone - but that had nothing to do with the divers, it was fishing using explosives etc. Our first dive site one day was cancelled 'cos the boat was warned that it was knee deep (exaggeration) in dead fish as a result of the previous nights' 'fishermen'...

To look on the bright side, the Burma Banks' octupi were fascinating and doing well.

What's the big deal?

The Chinese man was feeding fish, which is illegal..

Thai police get blamed for not being proactive enough in fighting crime..

Now a Thai, that does his job and makes an arrest, now that's too proactive??

Besides, the guy was feeding the fish corn!

Maybe fish can't shit out full kernals of corn?

Any fish experts that can answer that question..

Wonder what he was feeding them? Perhaps they just couldn't find a law on the books against pooping in the ocean... (yes, that's me taking the piss for anyone wondering)

On a more serious note (but not too serious- it's Friday after all), the logistics of being on a defined term visa and out on 100K bail intrigue me. If they wait him out, can they guaranty a 100K penalty when he has to leave or face immigration violations?

If the court date doesn't come up before his visa expires, can he stay legally so as not to forfeit the bail money?

If so, can he get extension after extension and stay pretty much as long as he likes before finally paying the 2,000 baht expected fine? And if that's the case, I wonder how many TVF posters will be "feeding the fish" as a low cost alternative to the now discredited visa runs?

There are special extensions available at Immigration. When someone I knew was on bail for a minor drugs possession offence, the police kept his passport, though the bail was deposited with the court. When he had to extend, the court supplied a letter for Immigration, the police just handed him his passport and told him to return it when he had the extension stamp. The temptation to run to the border was very strong, especially as we knew he'd be deported anyway, but just in case he was on the Immigration computer he resisted the temptation, got his stamp (I can't remember if he had to pay) and duly returned the passport to the police.
The 100000 baht bail is equal to the maximum fine in this case..

Or one year in jail/prison.

So, this guy can beat feet back to China anytime he wants..

Never heard of anyone being arrested or even fined for throwing a few bread crumbs. Seagull chip fights are on everyday.

Gotta say, this news is a little disconcerting. That could have been me under arrest.

Every time I go to the river tourist boat in BKK, I pay the nice lady 20 baht for a couple of scoops of fish pellets to while away the time waiting for the next boat. I assume it's all legal since I've been doing it for years, and the lady doesn't seem embarrassed or covert about selling the food.

I know the law has to do with MARINE fish, but I wonder if I'm risking arrest when they change the rules about feeding the RIVER fish without posting any warnings or making the nice lady stop selling the fish pellets and bread. I could be subject to arrest next time I go to the river to take the tourist boat. Or any one of the dozens of other families innocently feeding the fish with me.

I'm not claiming they should allow feeding the fish. Probably, they should have never allowed it. But arresting people today for what was perfectly acceptable yesterday (without proper warning and sufficient time for it to sink in) isn't a good way to increase the quality of the tourist experience.

Bad example.

With 25 years as a marine biologist, i can tell you gandalf, your wrong.

Who's supplying the food to the tourists to feed the fish? Answer that question and there are your true culprits.

I totally agree, when buying a loaf of bread, we all should be required to fill out a statutory declaration that we will not feed fish with it.

Who's supplying the food to the tourists to feed the fish? Answer that question and there are your true culprits.

I do not believe it unreasonable to think that the people who own the concession for selling fish food to tourists...are likely the same ones making the arrests...a turn-key system for profiteers...

This is Thailand...

Archived