32 foreign tourists in a speedboat accident in Samui

webfact

Breaking – 32 foreign tourists in a speedboat accident in Samui

speeboat-accident-3.jpg

SAMUI: -- 32 foreign tourists have been involved in a speedboat accident in Samui. It is believed that 1 is confirmed dead and not all on board are accounted for. Early reports suggest the boat, Anthong Explorer, was returning to Koh Samui after a day trip to the Marine Park. The accident occurred at around 4pm

The Samui Times will update this story as news comes in

http://www.samuitimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/speedboat-accident-1.jpg[/o,g]

speedboat-accident-2.jpg

Source: http://www.samuitimes.com/breaking-32-foreign-tourists-in-a-speed-boat-accident-in-samui/

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2016-05-27

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speedboat capsized off Samui Island with 32 tourists

A speedboat with 32 tourists on board including 31 foreign tourist and one Thai capsized while it was heading back to Koh Samui after a day trip to the Marine Park this afternoon.

It was not immediately known what caused the accident but nearby fishing boats and rescue boats of the Department of Marine were able to rescue all on board, except one who is still missing and believed trapped in the capsized boat.

Rescue teams were racing with time to try to locate the missing tourist, believed to be woman, before dark fall.

Early reports said the boat, Anthong Explorer, was returning to Koh Samui after a day trip to the Marine Park. The accident occurred at around 4 pm

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164949

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-27

Two died, 5 missing in Samui speedboat accident

13310583_1301153403246047_40994241703376

SAMUI Two tourists died and five went missing after a speedboat capsized off Samui Island late this afternoon.

Of the 36 people on board the speedboat, Angthong Explorer, two are Thais and the rest foreign tourists.

The boat was returning to Samui at 4 pm after a day trip to Angthong Island.

The boat was returning to Samui as the sea was rough.

But the incident was spotted by several fishing boats which rushed to rescue the tourists in the sea.

All were plugged by fishing boats and rescue boats of the Department of Marine.

Two tourists died as they were trapped inside the capsized boat.

Both were women.

Five others are still missing.

Of all the rescued tourists, 21 were injured, 7 are in serious condition.

The cause of the incident is not yet known.

Rescue teams have resume searching for the missing.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/164953

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-05-27

Thailand speedboat crash: British woman killed as tourist boat capsizes near Koh Samui
Samuel Osborne

SAMUI: A British woman has died and a British man is feared missing after a speedboat capsized near Koh Samui, Thailand.

Another British national was injured in the accident, the Foreign Office said.

Thai tourist police said 32 passengers and four crew were on board the Ang Thong Explorer, which was travelling from Mo Ko Ang Thong National Park when it hit a "big wave" and capsized at 5pm local time.

Full story: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-speedboat-crash-british-woman-killed-as-tourist-boat-capsizes-near-koh-samui-a7050956.html

-- INDEPENDENT 2016-05-27

In 14 years of living in Thailand, the only time I've been truly terrified is when riding with these cowboys.

30-40 people, driving at full tilt in rough seas, hitting the swells at dangerous angles, without adequate life jackets, and with small children who could not swim.

I grew up near the sea, and I assure you that "boatmanship" is not part of the picture here on many of these tourist high-speed boats. I fear many of them are piloted by a Somchai who came directly from the back of a buffalo, and got lucky when someone bankrolled him to buy a speedboat.

After that experience, I happily take the slow boats; cheaper too.

all over the English press two dead obviously not headline news in Thailand, I have not used a boat in Thailand for eight years as once was enough overcrowded over safe speed = overturn worse than the roads out here....RIP the tourists never had a chance to learn.

The weather has been rather grey these since Monday in Samui. Many of our guest complained that all their tours were cancelled. Yesterday two of our guest were on that speedboat. They initially bought a tour from our in-house tour desk but the tour was cancelled due to brought seas and bad weather. Our two guests decided to buy outside as they guaranteed them that the excursion would not be cancelled. All this despite the bad weather. Our guests were safe and sound. RIP to those who lost their lives. Angthong Discovery should have cancelled their tour as most companies did.

One British woman killed and another Briton injured after boat capsizes in Thailand
By Lexi Finnigan

SAMUI: -- A British woman has died and a British man is believed to be missing after a speedboat capsized in Thailand.

Another British national was also injured in the accident near the popular tourist island of Koh Samui on Thursday afternoon, the Foreign Office said.

Thai police said there were 32 passengers and four crew on the boat, which was travelling from Mu Ko Ang Thong National Park when it capsized.

Thirty people in the group are said to have been rescued by another passing speedboat, with some of them having suffered minor injuries.

A second woman from Hong Kong also died, while a British man and German woman are missing, police added.

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/26/koh-samui-speedboat-crash-two-tourists-feared-dead-as-boat-carry/

-- The Telegraph 2016-05-27

I've watched deck hands, and operators here try to load boats here where the surf was so heavy it took 3-4 minutes to load one person and every boat appeared to be overloaded with some standing up!

An overloaded boat in heavy seas with tourists jumping around is always an accident waiting to happen.

I doubt the operators even had training in how to maneuver a boat in heavy seas.

And most never wear a life preserver.

Some boats appeared not to have enough life preservers.

I really miss common sense.

They should all be wearing one!coffee1.gif

Just the boost the gulf islands needed.

More senseless loss of life and negligent operations.

Thailand, the home of truly extreme tourism.

Not sure what you mean, the people still keep coming. This changes nothing.

I am currently not in Thailand, but one look at Facebook and the internet and it is very apparent that both operating the boat and purchasing a ticket ride on one was I'll advised. Did people think the waves crashing into the dock would get smaller on open water?

People need to take some responsibility here as well as the boatmen. In a cash strapped economy boats will run if demand is there.

To book a trip with another firm when you have already been told by another company that trips are cancelled due to weather and waves is rolling the dice. Nothing wrong with taking a gamble, just need to be willing to pay the price when you lose.

It is a tragedy, but who in their right mind books a trip like this when the weather is crap? It would make sense if it were a commute or travel between islands to make flights etc, but this was a leisure excursion easily cancelled.

I just read 4 dead, 3 still missing - but for the life of me, i can't find the source.

RIP

I left the Island on Monday just as this current bout of bad weather began. Having said that, even though there was some "bad weather", I have never seen anything like "big seas" in the gulf of Thailand - so I'm going with human error at fault here. We've all seen how fast some of these tour boats move to and from destinations.

more safety measures will be put in place, they may be followed for a while if they are not too expensive, then something similar will happen again, then more safety measures will be put in place, they may be followed for a while...........i am starting to see a reoccurring cycle. surely the good general can use article 44 to break that cycle. i guess he is a busy man.

Thailand has certainly been bad luck for British tourists. It is curious that there have been no reports calling for a national boycott of Thailand. The approach to safety and holding people accountable is no different than that of IUU fishing practices. It has been 6 years since the EC began talking with the Thai government about IUU fishing and the need to correct the practices. The response is platitudes and the announcement of meetings and complaints that EC does not understand Thai culture.

The driver of this boat, assuming he is alive, should be sent to prison for 15 years, and it should happen within 90 days. No plea agreement or payments to families to lower jail time, just a criminal charge, a trial, and the maximum sentence. The owner (s) of the boat and/or the company should be paying millions of baht to each of the families of the dead and injured. This is accountability and until it is instituted Thailand will continue to loose "quality" tourists.

On booking , one has the option of going on a speedboat or a larger much slower boat. My nephew was recently here from the UK , i advised him to go on the large boat and this was one of the reasons. There really is no safety here in Thailand, i often watch them boarding at Lompraya pier and they just pack them into these small speedboats. AS an ex seaman, i certainly would not contemplate taking one of these small overladen boats out in some of the choppy seas i see. As someone has already said, these crews have no proper training and just teach each other on the way up from 'buffalo driving' and this applies to cars and motorcy's. I will probably be corrected here, but yes, Thailand really is a dangerous place to holiday, and i am not just talking of violence. There is not a week that goes by without some kind of avoidable deaths, car, bus, boat, motorcy, fire, tourists related entertainment etc., take your pick.

Thailand the Land of Gonna ! Gonna do this gonna do that surely a Government can fix something as simple as this along with Mini Buses Tourist buses Smoke Alarms in dormitories along with their other achievements like removing sun chairs from some beaches and catching taxi drivers over charging oh nearly forgot about the lottery price fixed.

The word "Responsibility" is unknown in Thai language.

As long nobody teach them this word, en let them know the meaning of the word, it will always happens, again, again, again, ag......

You can see it everywhare, on the roads, in this case at the sea, but also when you buy something and get troubles with it, they are not resposable, yesterday with the dogs who attack somebody, name it.......

Just the boost the gulf islands needed.

More senseless loss of life and negligent operations.

Thailand, the home of truly extreme tourism.

Not sure what you mean, the people still keep coming. This changes nothing.

I am currently not in Thailand, but one look at Facebook and the internet and it is very apparent that both operating the boat and purchasing a ticket ride on one was I'll advised. Did people think the waves crashing into the dock would get smaller on open water?

People need to take some responsibility here as well as the boatmen. In a cash strapped economy boats will run if demand is there.

To book a trip with another firm when you have already been told by another company that trips are cancelled due to weather and waves is rolling the dice. Nothing wrong with taking a gamble, just need to be willing to pay the price when you lose.

It is a tragedy, but who in their right mind books a trip like this when the weather is crap? It would make sense if it were a commute or travel between islands to make flights etc, but this was a leisure excursion easily cancelled.

"To book a trip with another firm when you have already been told by another company that trips are cancelled due to weather and waves is rolling the dice. Nothing wrong with taking a gamble, just need to be willing to pay the price when you lose.

It is a tragedy, but who in their right mind books a trip like this when the weather is crap? It would make sense if it were a commute or travel between islands to make flights etc, but this was a leisure excursion easily cancelled."

Totally agree. The consumer must use some logic and take some responsibility for their decisions in their dealings with anything in Thailand .

To learn that a sea going tour was cancelled and that the reason was bad seas , should have been "fair enough " for any thinking tourist to change their focus to a land based acrivity.

To actively pursue an alternative' boat and sign up knowing that the seas are rough and that much in Thailand is barely regulated , puts the onus back on the consumer... what were they thinking , that the new boat could magically calm the oceans , or for that matter , that the the National Parks waters would be in any way enhanced by grey skies and heavy conditions?

Thailand the Land of Gonna ! Gonna do this gonna do that surely a Government can fix something as simple as this along with Mini Buses Tourist buses Smoke Alarms in dormitories along with their other achievements like removing sun chairs from some beaches and catching taxi drivers over charging oh nearly forgot about the lottery price fixed.

Don't forget banning all alcohol ads and the fiasco about selling 300 meters from schools and stopping legitimate licensed establishments buying alcohol before 11.00 and after 2.00, but thats easy pickings for tea money

I left the Island on Monday just as this current bout of bad weather began. Having said that, even though there was some "bad weather", I have never seen anything like "big seas" in the gulf of Thailand - so I'm going with human error at fault here. We've all seen how fast some of these tour boats move to and from destinations.

We operate offshore platforms in the Gulf of Thailand and 4 meter seas are not uncommon during bad weather. That's 14' wave heights for us metric phobes. Waves almost as high as a 2 story building.

Yesterday, we were inundated with squall warnings from our weather service. Wave height wasn't so bad, but the surface would have been extremely rough and hard to navigate safely. Would have been a good day to stay in port.

The main "human error" was being out in a small boat in those conditions in the first place.

This is clearly a tragedy and many TV members here have pointed to the failings and shortcomings of the operation of such craft. If you have been to Phuket and anywhere else in Thailand where there are these open topped pleasure craft operating, you will have seen them speeding along. You will probably have seen some of them capsize to howls of laughter as everyone was able to scramble back on board.

Remember, everyone on board was there voluntarily, weren't they? Were they aware of the risks? Hmm! Not sure about that, are you? Did they expect to die during their trip? Unlikely.

All round tragedy.

I found some statistics for 2015 that you will probably find chilling too.

Where instruction was known, 71% of deaths occurred on boats where the operator

did not receive boating safety instruction. Only 15% percent of deaths occurred on

vessels where the operator had received a nationally approved boating safety

education certificate.

Where data was known, the most common types of vessels involved in reported

accidents were open motorboats (45%), personal watercraft (19%) and cabin

motorboats (17%).

Where data was known, the vessel types with the highest percentage of deaths were

open motorboats (46%), kayaks (12%) and canoes (11%).

For Open motorboats

Drownings 180

Other deaths 105

Total Deaths 285

Total Injuries 1376

Total Casualties 1661

How about the causes of deaths? Ranked in order of number of accidents and deaths

operator inattention 551 accidents 58 deaths

operator inexperience 458 accidents 37 deaths

excessive speed 305 accidents 18 deaths

force of wave/wake 159 accidents 8 deaths

Alcohol is cited as the cause of the single largest number of deaths at 92 for 2015

Water conditions in this case were said to be adverse and yet vessels still took to the water didn't they. However, in 2015 12% of deaths occurred in calm waters and 13% in choppy waters (6 inch to 2 feet waves ... are these the conditions in this case?). 57% of accidents occurred in calm waters and 27% in choppy waters.

Operator experience is clearly a factor: no surprise to find that the biggest single loss of life can be ascribed to the inexperienced operator although the age of the operator seems not to matter: they are all as deadly as each other except that operators over 55 years appear to be the most deadly!

And so on. You can see this is a situation filled with dangers and warnings. I have quoted from published statistics so everyone can easily find them and act on them. Of course, no one does, do they? Myself included.

In 14 years of living in Thailand, the only time I've been truly terrified is when riding with these cowboys.

30-40 people, driving at full tilt in rough seas, hitting the swells at dangerous angles, without adequate life jackets, and with small children who could not swim.

I grew up near the sea, and I assure you that "boatmanship" is not part of the picture here on many of these tourist high-speed boats. I fear many of them are piloted by a Somchai who came directly from the back of a buffalo, and got lucky when someone bankrolled him to buy a speedboat.

After that experience, I happily take the slow boats; cheaper too.

About that time, 10 years ago, I owns a fishingboat in the Boat Lagoon, in Phuket.

My neighbours who where working for the tourist companys there, also sailed with such a boat, always with a lot of bravado, who does me somewhat, from any rule or law attract anything.

When they have to go out, they have to go through a narrow river to the Phang Nga bay, because vegetation at the borders a max speed of 5 miles/hour, but not for them, sometimes with high speed they passing me etc, etc.

And we know the countless touristbus accidents, yeh...all cowboys, i think without any license for sailing or driving many times.

I just read 4 dead, 3 still missing - but for the life of me, i can't find the source.

RIP

You don't get BIG seas as per southern ocean, but the sea is shallow, there are tide streams and wave sets may be converging from 2 or 3 different directions due to shifting winds and the effect of the islands, all of which can contribute to a "confused" sea with steep and breaking waves between 2 and 3 m in height, trough to crest. Not dissimilar to the North sea though a lot warmer. This is more than enough for the standard overpowered plywood/resin speedboat if driven too fast by an inexperienced or impaired or incompetent driver. Add in overloading, and people who will all move simultaneously in the same direction if scared by an approaching wave, thereby shifting the centre of gravity in the least helpful direction, and you can easily get this kind of accident. A lot of these fairly flimsy and unstable boats are carrying 500HP plus of outboard on the back which in the hands of an arrogant and incautious driver is a recipe for disaster in anything other than ideal sea conditions.

Lots of things there possible to regulate and enforce to make it safer, but Thailand doesn't go in much for enforcing safety regulations, as you know.

Here is a list of things which will never be done.

1. Insist on trained drivers with skipper's licenses

2. Enforce a stay in port order in severe weather

3. Inspect and rate hulls for engine size and carrying capacity based on their construction and design.

4. limit engine size and the number of engines to that stated on the certificate

5. Don't carry more passengers than there are seats and lifejackets and have the carrying capacity clearly stated and displayed on the boat in all appropriate languages. Make the wearing of lifejackets by crew as well as passengers mandatory.

6. Train crew in emergency procedures including CPR, carry out a safety briefing (like on an airplane) before departure, covering action in the event of an emergency.

7. monitor and enforce the above with a regime of daily inspections.

Archived