32 foreign tourists in a speedboat accident in Samui

webfact

The truth is Thai people have no idea what a rough sea looks like. Anyone on here who comes from a country that has a coastline on the North Sea, North Atlantic or North Pacific will know what I am talking about. I have been offshore in the North Sea when there have been rollers over 10 mtrs high going up to over 20 mtrs.

Rig supply vessels nearly standing on their ends climbing over them. Beware, Scottish swearing in this video.

I have never seen any waves here over 4 to 5 mtrs, wich clearly points to gross incompetance on the part of the people driving these boats, again...and again....

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just the boost the gulf islands needed.

More senseless loss of life and negligent operations.

Thailand, the home of truly extreme tourism.

Not sure what you mean, the people still keep coming. This changes nothing.

I am currently not in Thailand, but one look at Facebook and the internet and it is very apparent that both operating the boat and purchasing a ticket ride on one was I'll advised. Did people think the waves crashing into the dock would get smaller on open water?

People need to take some responsibility here as well as the boatmen. In a cash strapped economy boats will run if demand is there.

To book a trip with another firm when you have already been told by another company that trips are cancelled due to weather and waves is rolling the dice. Nothing wrong with taking a gamble, just need to be willing to pay the price when you lose.

It is a tragedy, but who in their right mind books a trip like this when the weather is crap? It would make sense if it were a commute or travel between islands to make flights etc, but this was a leisure excursion easily cancelled.

I think ‘canuckamuck’ was exercising a dash of sarcasm and meant the tragedy counters and is the opposite of media coverage needed for gulf islands tourism, especially after all the other bad ones in recent times. Some of the public can’t properly discern the dangers of the sea in bad weather. Public safety should trump profit, so Angthong Discovery should be held fully accountable. Apparent lack of enough life jackets is also another indicator that public safety doesn’t trump profit. You'll know all this.
No tourist boat operators in really bad weather = public not placed in unacceptable danger, even when some of the public would otherwise insist on going out.

Going out in rough seas, in a boat not designed for it, wth a driver not trained to deal with the conditions exhibits a complete lack of common sense and greed on the part of the owner. The only way to prevent this kind of thing is to require training/licensing of the boat operators (licencee that can not be purchased with a donation) and accountability (heavy fines, loss of Licence, jail terms when negligence is found) by the pilot/operator and the boat owner. Does anyone else see the futility of this in a country that is unable to enforce even fire safety regulations or even bring to trial a boy why killed someone with his car? I myself have given up thinking anything will change. The systemic problems run far too deep and there is too much apathy. I feel like l live on a Hollywood movie set ... everything is a facade.

RIP to those who lost their life in this unfortunate accident. Wishes for a speedy recovery to those who were injured or traumatized.

British woman among three killed after boat capsizes in Thailand
Chris Johnston and agencies

Speedboat carrying 28 passengers overturns in rough seas off Koh Samui, killing Briton as well as German woman and Hong Kong woman

SAMUI: -- Three foreign tourists have died and one other remains missing after a speedboat capsized off the popular Thai holiday island of Koh Samui, a police officer said on Friday.

The boat, which was carrying 32 tourists plus four crew, flipped over Thursday afternoon after it was hit by a wave near a rocky stretch of coast in the Gulf of Thailand.

The bodies of a 28-year-old British woman and a 29-year-old German woman were retrieved that afternoon, said Paiboon Omark, a district chief on the island.

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/may/26/british-woman-killed-briton-missing-boat-capsizes-thailand

-- The Guardian 2016-05-27

I am currently not in Thailand, but one look at Facebook and the internet and it is very apparent that both operating the boat and purchasing a ticket ride on one was I'll advised. Did people think the waves crashing into the dock would get smaller on open water?

People need to take some responsibility here as well as the boatmen. In a cash strapped economy boats will run if demand is there.

To book a trip with another firm when you have already been told by another company that trips are cancelled due to weather and waves is rolling the dice. Nothing wrong with taking a gamble, just need to be willing to pay the price when you lose.

It is a tragedy, but who in their right mind books a trip like this when the weather is crap? It would make sense if it were a commute or travel between islands to make flights etc, but this was a leisure excursion easily cancelled.

One side of me agrees with you, that the tourists share some responsibility for making a decision to go out on a day like that. However, I think that would be giving the "common man" too much credit. Most of us come from Nanny states and assume a basic level of safety is in place as it is in our home country. Also fewer people than you think are familiar with how treaterous nature can be. Finally, few people understand enough about ship design to craft that can handle a storm and those that can't. Add it all up and you have a group of people willing to do something they think is safe but in fact is not. Should they have know better ... perhaps ... but lack the experience to make an informed decision.

Reoprted that many were not wearing life jackets in a Thai speedboat in heavy seas !!! although the original photos show its reasonably calm.

Surely life jackets should be compulsory and that's just for starters.Been on one of these vessels, near Similan Islands, never again.

Having been on one of these trips some 18 months ago I have to admit I was scared shitless on the way home when we hit really bad weather the waves were banging against the boat and the rain was that torrential you had to put a towel over your face due to the force . These guys will go out in all types of weather as at the end of the day it's about making money. The marine police need to insist that during bad weather boats must not go out yesterday the winds were very very strong on Koh Phangan so I would imagine it would have been terrifying on a speedboat. RIP to those who perished and my thoughts are with all who were involved in this terrible tragedy . It is time that the Thai authorities made it compulsory for all speedboat travellers to be issued and made wear a Life Jacket I fear in this case this did not happen I would not be surprised if there were not enough Life Jackets available on this particular trip.

Thailand has certainly been bad luck for British tourists. It is curious that there have been no reports calling for a national boycott of Thailand. The approach to safety and holding people accountable is no different than that of IUU fishing practices. It has been 6 years since the EC began talking with the Thai government about IUU fishing and the need to correct the practices. The response is platitudes and the announcement of meetings and complaints that EC does not understand Thai culture.

The driver of this boat, assuming he is alive, should be sent to prison for 15 years, and it should happen within 90 days. No plea agreement or payments to families to lower jail time, just a criminal charge, a trial, and the maximum sentence. The owner (s) of the boat and/or the company should be paying millions of baht to each of the families of the dead and injured. This is accountability and until it is instituted Thailand will continue to loose "quality" tourists.

Why is their never a sense of proportion in this kind of "boycott Thailand" posts.

Why are you not calling for a ban on say, UK Cross-Channel or Irish Sea ferries, far more people have been lost on those boats than have ever been lost in Thailand; many due to them putting to sea in appalling weather. How about those drowned on pleasure boats in the lake district.

How about a ban on Italy because of the people who lost their lives due to a totally reckless (and cowardly) Italian cruise ship driver. Why not ban visiting Korea because of the hundreds of school kids killed by a wicked operator who had illegally modified his ship.

I am not defending any reckless tour boat operators, they probably should not have put out knowing the bad weather forecast. But, local weather at sea is always difficult to forecast properly and what may be rough in one area can be quite calm in another. You can't just send people to prison without a trial and a proper review of the situation. There appear to be any number of boats around in the photographs and the waves don't look at all big to me.

Anyway, there is not yet any proof that bad weather caused the accident.

To call for a ban on Thailand because of this accident is simply preposterous and to link the loss of lives of some poor tourists to the Thai fishing industry simply makes this post yet another waste of space.

Thailand has certainly been bad luck for British tourists. It is curious that there have been no reports calling for a national boycott of Thailand. The approach to safety and holding people accountable is no different than that of IUU fishing practices. It has been 6 years since the EC began talking with the Thai government about IUU fishing and the need to correct the practices. The response is platitudes and the announcement of meetings and complaints that EC does not understand Thai culture.

The driver of this boat, assuming he is alive, should be sent to prison for 15 years, and it should happen within 90 days. No plea agreement or payments to families to lower jail time, just a criminal charge, a trial, and the maximum sentence. The owner (s) of the boat and/or the company should be paying millions of baht to each of the families of the dead and injured. This is accountability and until it is instituted Thailand will continue to loose "quality" tourists.

Why is their never a sense of proportion in this kind of "boycott Thailand" posts.

Why are you not calling for a ban on say, UK Cross-Channel or Irish Sea ferries, far more people have been lost on those boats than have ever been lost in Thailand; many due to them putting to sea in appalling weather. How about those drowned on pleasure boats in the lake district.

How about a ban on Italy because of the people who lost their lives due to a totally reckless (and cowardly) Italian cruise ship driver. Why not ban visiting Korea because of the hundreds of school kids killed by a wicked operator who had illegally modified his ship.

I am not defending any reckless tour boat operators, they probably should not have put out knowing the bad weather forecast. But, local weather at sea is always difficult to forecast properly and what may be rough in one area can be quite calm in another. You can't just send people to prison without a trial and a proper review of the situation. There appear to be any number of boats around in the photographs and the waves don't look at all big to me.

To call for a ban on Thailand because of this accident is simply preposterous and to link the loss of lives of some poor tourists to the Thai fishing industry simply makes this post yet another waste of space.

If you will read my post it called for: charges, then a trial, then sentencing, in that order. The boycott was mentioned with reference to a lot of very bad things that have happened to British tourists in the past several months.

With regard to the responsibility of the captain of this boat, he has to know how many passengers the boat is rated for and he can't take any more. He has to know when not to go out if the weather is bad and when to come back in if the weather starts to turn bad. The owner of the company needs to know that the passengers' safety comes BEFORE profit, and there have to be laws and prison sentences in place to remind them.

This is TVF and we're remarking on a thread about Thailand. Why are you banging on about things happening elsewhere as though it makes this accident ok.

The difference is that recommendations are acted upon in other places. Can you see things changing here?

The truth is Thai people have no idea what a rough sea looks like. Anyone on here who comes from a country that has a coastline on the North Sea, North Atlantic or North Pacific will know what I am talking about. I have been offshore in the North Sea when there have been rollers over 10 mtrs high going up to over 20 mtrs.

Rig supply vessels nearly standing on their ends climbing over them. Beware, Scottish swearing in this video.

I have never seen any waves here over 4 to 5 mtrs, wich clearly points to gross incompetance on the part of the people driving these boats, again...and again....

In 1989 the Seacrest drillship was lost in the Gulf of Thailand, waves of up to 40 ft were responsible, So when typhoons are around the seas can get very bad, I was in Rayong at the time and the seas were very poor. But the truth is if you have ever driven an FRC or speedboat, in rough seas (and I mean rough by Thai standards not by the North Sea) Then unless you have some training it is quite easy to turn one over, and this is the problem. These guys have no real training and there is no safety culture here in Thailand. As such, these incidents will continue on a yearly basis.

Brakes failed?

Absolutely hilarious! Didn't realise that there was anybody on Thaivisa with such a fantastic way out sense of humour. You should be on the stage mate, and we could all throw overripe mangos at you - W****R!

And then, I have to read this:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Tourist-arrested-feeding-fish/63952

How crazy a country can be, of-course, much more important than safety!!!

My thoughts entirely when I read that yesterday - at first I thought it was a joke! You CAN get stoned out of your brain and ride a motorbike into KFC , and CAN totally overload your speedboat and put to sea in obviously very dangerous conditions, but you CAN"T feed the fish!

Going out in rough seas, in a boat not designed for it, wth a driver not trained to deal with the conditions exhibits a complete lack of common sense and greed on the part of the owner. The only way to prevent this kind of thing is to require training/licensing of the boat operators (licencee that can not be purchased with a donation) and accountability (heavy fines, loss of Licence, jail terms when negligence is found) by the pilot/operator and the boat owner. Does anyone else see the futility of this in a country that is unable to enforce even fire safety regulations or even bring to trial a boy why killed someone with his car? I myself have given up thinking anything will change. The systemic problems run far too deep and there is too much apathy. I feel like l live on a Hollywood movie set ... everything is a facade.

RIP to those who lost their life in this unfortunate accident. Wishes for a speedy recovery to those who were injured or traumatized.

Actually the drivers are trained... for one year before going out on their own, at least with the larger companies, and these boats deal with much rougher seas than it was yesterday.... All have life jackets too... people just don't want to wear them.

Pure nonsense in many of these posts ... and anyone would think these types of accidents don't occur in every country of the world...

Actually the drivers are trained... for one year before going out on their own, at least with the larger companies, and these boats deal with much rougher seas than it was yesterday.... All have life jackets too... people just don't want to wear them.

Pure nonsense in many of these posts ... and anyone would think these types of accidents don't occur in every country of the world...

This is Thailand, and I'm sure you're not that naive.

Reoprted that many were not wearing life jackets in a Thai speedboat in heavy seas !!! although the original photos show its reasonably calm.

Surely life jackets should be compulsory and that's just for starters.Been on one of these vessels, near Similan Islands, never again.

As long as you know how to swim it would be safer without one. A bulky buoyant vest will impede your ability to escape the vessel. In airplanes you're told not to inflate until you're outside for this reason.

This is Thailand, and I'm sure you're not that naive.

No I am not naive , but I happen to know what goes on with these companies and how the staff are trained ... and seen them deal with people on tours..

and you assume you know so much? ....again nonsense posts for the sake of Thai bashing.... every time some unfortunate thing like this happens... they are out in force.... with no real knowledge. coffee1.gif

Nothing new here. The same company/boat travelling too fast hit a big wave and fractured my spine, two years ago. The company and insurers refused responsibility as I refused to let them take me to the incompetent, Mickey Mouse clinic on Koh Phangan and insisted upon being taken to the Bangkok Hospital on Samui. So two years later, 6 weeks on a board and still in out-patients, this accident does not surprise me.

As long as you know how to swim it would be safer without one. A bulky buoyant vest will impede your ability to escape the vessel. In airplanes you're told not to inflate until you're outside for this reason.

Not true at all. If you're not wearing it when the boat nosedives into a wave, you're never going to be wearing it. (Goes double for kids)

And if you're knocked out or injured, or succumb to hypothermia or fatigue, it doesn't matter how well you swim.

I have seen the carry on of these cowboy boat pilots there is absolutely no need for the speed they travel at. They have a total disregard for the laws of the sea I have even seen them and jet skies entering where there was a surfacing buoy for divers. Clowns to say the least but we can complain on here till the 12th of never but sadly nothing will change

They don't - some countries are landlocked.

dunno, but I think there is vital information missing regarding this accident

boats that size don't just capsize if driven by somebody reasonably close to sober,

unless the weather conditions are extreme, which I gather they were not

if you have some half baked idea about driving in seas you don't easily capsize such boats

have travelled a lot with such boats (on the West coast, Ranong) some drivers know what they're doing

some don't, but at least they have rough ideas about what to do / not to do,

again you dont capsize that thing easily, especially not when loaded with 30+ people, 30+ people would ensure a fairly low centre of gravity

I cannot easily see a scenario where this boat would just capsize in moderate seas and wind

(another element here is the boat itself, nearly all these boats are double shit,

built of thin and EXTREMELY low quality plywood and a thin GRP coating on top, they have nothing to do in salt water,

it is not rare that these boats quite simply disintegrates, but from the photos shown the boat doesn't look "sick")

anyway,

I don't subscribe to how this is presented in the press

It's all been said before.....but inexperienced, unregulated, negligent safety standards, for a start, will all lead to incidents that threaten the lives of people.........

Thailand is so far behind the ball from being able to manage these types of incidents and situations, that there will be many more, before the pressure applied from foreigners, has some impact...and until then, expect more of the same!

Archived