Thai Drivers License Checklist

seedy

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The 1 year temporary is now a 2 year temporary allowing more time for the learner to get proficient (HAHA)

Also I believe this year they will start requiring a certificate from a officially licensed driving school to get the license.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Issuance of driving licenses to be tightened to improve road safety

BANGKOK: -- The Transport Ministry is amending a ministerial regulation to tighten up the issuance of driving licenses and the renewal of driving licenses by making in mandatory for the applicants to attend a training session of up to 15 hours instead of just 3-4 hours as it is the case now.

See the full story here.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Ouch.

That's a pitty.

Not blocked for Thailand but seemingly not paid his bill at the Russian hoster.

Well it's up and working again now so maybe he paid. Or could it be that an administrator saw it as not proper and broke the link only to realize later that it's not the official test and was actually taken for a very old Thai government document which is no longer relevant?
In either case, because the Thais seem intent on making everything official  difficult for foreigners by not having native English speakers write English documents for them, I'm personally grateful to the guy who went to the trouble of putting it together as it's great beginners guide for those foreigners wanting apply for a Thai drivers licence.
The guy has clarified that it's not the test one would do when making the application so there's nothing illegal or anything to suggest cheating in any way.

1 hour ago, kellio said:

was actually taken for a very old Thai government document which is no longer relevant?

In 2015 I used the 90 questions for preparation and could bet that I was not surprised by new questions.

I did some quick searches for such questions at the DLT site to no avail.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

In 2015 I used the 90 questions for preparation and could bet that I was not surprised by new questions.

I did some quick searches for such questions at the DLT site to no avail.

I know.
It's crazy that  far as I know, you can't download an English version of Thai road rules to study before you apply as you can in other countries.
You have to sit in a room with a bunch of "Learners" for around 5 hours watching videos that no Thais take any notice of anyway when driving.
Even if you can prove you've been driving in your own country for 50 years and like in Australia, the rules are the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Best option for medical is head to Bangchak BTS station, and go down to ground level, on RHS (if coming from OnNut). Clinic is almost where the escalator goes up to the BTS station. They charge an unbeatable Bt100 - remember to take your passport.

Then cross over to other other side, and either catch motorbike (20 - 25 Baht) or walk to the testing station.

In the vision test, I had great trouble aligning the 2 sticks,  and seeing peripheral colours from the side, but eventually was passed.

As stated before, if you have your IDP, passport & work permit,  just require copies of relevant pages  - I signed each copy to be sure. Went in at about 12.30, out at about 3pm. Was lucky that I managed to locate an application form from the desk (on left hand side) during lunch, when no assistance was available, wrote my name and telephone number at the top, and then headed to counter 9 during lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

I am approaching my second five-year renewal for my auto and motorcycle licenses.

Can anyone describe the current renewal process? It used to involve a vision test, and a response test. Has that been expanded at all?

And I've seen some "check-lists" which say that a medical certificate is NOT needed for a five year renewal. Is that correct?

I found this list in one of the links provided in this thread, which seems to suggest that a medical certificate is not required for a second (+) five-year renewal. And just the "physical" test(s), I guess.

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER RENEW THAI DRIVING LICENCE [BY YOURSELF]
FIVE-YEARS DRIVING LICENCE
HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1 ORIGINAL FIVE-YEARS THAI DRIVING LICENCE
2 PASSPORT WITH NON-IMMIGRANT VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
3 ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY

PROCEDURE

1 CHECK THE DOCUMENTS
2 PRINT THE APPLICATION FORM
3 TAKE ONLY A PHYSICAL TEST

Is there a link to the PDF for the "Application Form"? I couldn't find it.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

Just got my Thai vehicle drivers License in Issan. I needed documentation of where I reside in Thailand, Doctors note,International Drivers License,USA drivers license and a passport. I didn't have to take a exam,listen to a several hour speech or a driving test.

I had to take the color test (red,green,yellow) and a reaction test(brake and acceleration reaction).Because I had a METV I needed my GF to sign as a guaranty.

This License is valid for 2 years. After 2 years I will get a 5 year renewal .  

• 2 weeks later...

Spent the morning reading up on this again, as I can never seem to remember what I need when it's time to renew. Seems to always be more confusing than it needs to be, so here are the best two links I found to simplify things.

Thai Department of Land Transport page on renewing license, with links on that page as to how to get a new license.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

US Embassy in Thailand page for US citizens wanting to get a Thai drivers license.  Click the link near the bottom of the page to expand the license procedures guidelines, which includes a link to the form needed to show residence in Thailand.

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/driving-in-thailand/

• 1 month later...

I just came back from the DLT at Bangchak.

Just a few recommendations for Europeans.

If you have a driving license from Europe - even the latest credit card size model - you will have to get an English translation of your license.

Pretty ridiculous, because like 95% of everything written on the driving license is either a name, a number (dates) or a pictogram. Only some standard words like "name", "surname", "date of birth" etc. could be in French, Italian, Dutch or whatever. Also, there are about 700.000.000 Europeans, so you would think that after seeing a few thousands of European model driving licenses, they would accept that  we all use the same model. No need to translate "naam" in "name"...

Anyway, I thought I could overcome this obstacle by presenting them - together with my (European model) national driving license - a valid International Driving License. Everything in English, everybody happy. Nope. My valid international driving license was a license following an international convention of 1968.

"Aha, but Thailand only recognized a 1949 international convention."  "Yes but you can see this one is in English and exactly the same as my European."  "Yes but I cannot accept."

So, you'll have to ask your embassy to give you a list of approved translators. Have your national license translated in English (NOT in Thai) by one of their approved translators, and get your embassy to stamp and sign the translation (no formal legalization; normally free of charge).

As for the certificate of residence, you can get this at immigration or at your embassy. If you get it at your embassy and you still have your domicile in your home country, they can only legalize an affidavit (like a legally binding declaration by which you declare living at a certain address). Ask them to put the legalization formula on the front of the document. If it is a kind of "sticker" they attach to the backside of the document (like in my case), you could be sent back to your embassy because there is no signature or embassy stamp on the frontside.

More info about the procedure at Bangchak: http://www.adventurefamilylife.com/expat-guide-thai-drivers-license/

23 hours ago, khrai said:

I just came back from the DLT at Bangchak.

Just a few recommendations for Europeans.

If you have a driving license from Europe - even the latest credit card size model - you will have to get an English translation of your license.

Pretty ridiculous, because like 95% of everything written on the driving license is either a name, a number (dates) or a pictogram. Only some standard words like "name", "surname", "date of birth" etc. could be in French, Italian, Dutch or whatever. Also, there are about 700.000.000 Europeans, so you would think that after seeing a few thousands of European model driving licenses, they would accept that  we all use the same model. No need to translate "naam" in "name"...

Anyway, I thought I could overcome this obstacle by presenting them - together with my (European model) national driving license - a valid International Driving License. Everything in English, everybody happy. Nope. My valid international driving license was a license following an international convention of 1968.

"Aha, but Thailand only recognized a 1949 international convention."  "Yes but you can see this one is in English and exactly the same as my European."  "Yes but I cannot accept."

So, you'll have to ask your embassy to give you a list of approved translators. Have your national license translated in English (NOT in Thai) by one of their approved translators, and get your embassy to stamp and sign the translation (no formal legalization; normally free of charge).

As for the certificate of residence, you can get this at immigration or at your embassy. If you get it at your embassy and you still have your domicile in your home country, they can only legalize an affidavit (like a legally binding declaration by which you declare living at a certain address). Ask them to put the legalization formula on the front of the document. If it is a kind of "sticker" they attach to the backside of the document (like in my case), you could be sent back to your embassy because there is no signature or embassy stamp on the frontside.

More info about the procedure at Bangchak: http://www.adventurefamilylife.com/expat-guide-thai-drivers-license/

Depends where you apply and who is behind the booth requirement today will be not same tomorrow .

• 1 month later...
Here is more information for those who are preparing for the exam for Driving License in Thailand.

1) Required documents for application - DocsRequired.pdf
2) Information for driving tests - DrivingTestInfo.pdf
3) Examples of documents (medical certificate, embassy, etc.) ExamplesOfDocs.pdf
4) 44 practical with Pictures to prepare for Driving Exam - ExamQuestions.pdf
5) 128 theory questions to prepare for Driving Exam - GeneralRules.pdf
6) 28 questions from Motor Act 2552 to prepare for Driving Exam - MotorAct2522(1979)Questions.pdf
7) ~100 questions on Traffic Signs to prepare for Driving Exam - TrafficSigns.pdf

The process is quite easy, good and very detailed instruction is posted here (applicable for all Thailand): https://iglu.net/how-to-get-a-thai-driving-license/

Overall costs ~ 600-800 THB (depends on medical certificate).

Just a couple of questions on this.

In the "Docs required PDF it states in point 3 that you Need to be resident for 6 months. Is this correct ? I have been resident for 3 months and was planning to get my license soon.

I have An IDP and a full British Driving License. What tests, if any will I need to take for both motorbike and car ?

Do you need to two times the docs - one for motorbike and one for car ?

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, mikey99 said:

Just a couple of questions on this.

In the "Docs required PDF it states in point 3 that you Need to be resident for 6 months. Is this correct ? I have been resident for 3 months and was planning to get my license soon.

I have An IDP and a full British Driving License. What tests, if any will I need to take for both motorbike and car ?

Do you need to two times the docs - one for motorbike and one for car ?

Thanks

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Even non residents can apply.

Yes, you'll need all dopcuments double.

No practical driving tests required for you,  only colour, depth perception etc.

Just got my Thai vehicle drivers License in Issan. I needed documentation of where I reside in Thailand, Doctors note,International Drivers License,USA drivers license and a passport. I didn't have to take a exam,listen to a several hour speech or a driving test.

I had to take the color test (red,green,yellow) and a reaction test(brake and acceleration reaction).Because I had a METV I needed my GF to sign as a guaranty.

I needed the residence form from the IO even though I don't reside permanently in the Thai province( I have a METV) . Since you don't reside full time in Thailand you might need a guarantor(A Thai person vouch for you).

13 hours ago, riclag said:

I needed the residence form from the IO even though I don't reside permanently in the Thai province( I have a METV) . Since you don't reside full time in Thailand you might need a guarantor(A Thai person vouch for you).

No need guarantor for me an visa exempt but for renew you will not get a 5 years one without a longstay visa

Just got my Thai driver's license. Here is the current info (December 2017) for someone who does not have a driving license in the English language. I went to the Department of Land Transport (DLT) in Ubon Ratchathani (Ring road 231).

You need:
1. Your passport + copy of the first sheet + copy visa and stamp date of entering Thailand. A visa is apparently not necessary. I did not even have a visa, because this time I stay less than 30 days in Thailand.
2. Certificate of residence. Get this at the Tourist Police (Headquarters in Warin). Take your passport + copy, and also proof of your whereabouts, for example tabien job of your spouse + her ID card and copies.
3. Medical certificate. To be collected in a clinic. In my case, four doors next to the entrance of the DLT (80 Baht).
4. International driving license version 1949 + copy. Attention, Thailand does not accept version 1968.

Procedure:
After DLT has checked your documents on the third floor, four tests will follow:
1. Recognizing red, yellow and green.
2. A test in which you have to draw two rods with a cord on the same line (depth view, I suspect).
3. A reaction test: you have to brake when the light on the unit turns red.
4. To be able to recognize red, yellow and green on another device.

If you succeed, you have to watch a two hour video containing the traffic rules. Then you get your documents back. With that you go to the second floor, you pay 205 baht, they make a passport photo and then they make your driving license. That is valid for two years.

All rather painless for me too. I was in the Pattaya DLT just off the 36.

Arrived at 8.35 and left at 9.25 with two driving licenses. More or less the same procedure as Chris, but no Video for me (no idea why as the room was right next to where everything was going on) and only one color test not two.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

On 29/12/2017 at 3:56 PM, chris26be said:

Just got my Thai driver's license. Here is the current info (December 2017) for someone who does not have a driving license in the English language. I went to the Department of Land Transport (DLT) in Ubon Ratchathani (Ring road 231).

You need:
1. Your passport + copy of the first sheet + copy visa and stamp date of entering Thailand. A visa is apparently not necessary. I did not even have a visa, because this time I stay less than 30 days in Thailand.
2. Certificate of residence. Get this at the Tourist Police (Headquarters in Warin). Take your passport + copy, and also proof of your whereabouts, for example tabien job of your spouse + her ID card and copies.
3. Medical certificate. To be collected in a clinic. In my case, four doors next to the entrance of the DLT (80 Baht).
4. International driving license version 1949 + copy. Attention, Thailand does not accept version 1968.

Procedure:
After DLT has checked your documents on the third floor, four tests will follow:
1. Recognizing red, yellow and green.
2. A test in which you have to draw two rods with a cord on the same line (depth view, I suspect).
3. A reaction test: you have to brake when the light on the unit turns red.
4. To be able to recognize red, yellow and green on another device.

If you succeed, you have to watch a two hour video containing the traffic rules. Then you get your documents back. With that you go to the second floor, you pay 205 baht, they make a passport photo and then they make your driving license. That is valid for two years.

I have a 2 year "temporary" licence which expires in June 2018. I want/need to apply for the 5 year. So instead of 4. in your "you need" list, I will show them my current Thai temporary driver's licence? 

Do I need to go through the "test" again?

Also, can you advise which building (number 5?) at the DLT in Bangkok? I found it eventually last time, but it was not easy, or obvious. And which counter/floor within that building.

Any advices from those who have recently experienced this procedure in Bangkok gratefully received.

On 2.1.2018 at 8:36 AM, samtam said:

I have a 2 year "temporary" licence which expires in June 2018. I want/need to apply for the 5 year. So instead of 4. in your "you need" list, I will show them my current Thai temporary driver's licence? 

Do I need to go through the "test" again?

Also, can you advise which building (number 5?) at the DLT in Bangkok? I found it eventually last time, but it was not easy, or obvious. And which counter/floor within that building.

Any advices from those who have recently experienced this procedure in Bangkok gratefully received.

Yes, and you need to do the color, brake test and so on...

Depend on where you live in Bangkok, but I prefer DLT at Bang Chak(Sukumvit) 

18 hours ago, Namplik said:

Yes, and you need to do the color, brake test and so on...

Depend on where you live in Bangkok, but I prefer DLT at Bang Chak(Sukumvit) 

And is it correct that you get a 5 year licence after the expiry of the 2 year "temporary" licence?

I will check out Bang Chak; any building number, which floor etc?

Yes you will get a 5 year licence if you have a non immigrant visa. The DLT is not that big, go to the main entrance to the information desk at the door. State your your business and they will check your documents and give you the right application papers. 

Be early or come just after their lunch break :smile:

https://goo.gl/maps/RFM4M9n76SP2 

• 2 weeks later...

My 5 year renewal is approaching and i remember that the 5 year period is calculated to

expire on your birthday.

What i can't remember is, depending on the date you actually go to renew will enable 

an additional year to be added to the 5 year period.

I think it is if you renew after the expiration date, you would benefit an extra year rounded

off to your birthdate.

Can someone just clarify that this is correct?

Hi all.
Quick question I live in the Pattaya area and have a 2 year Thai licence due to expire next month (Feb) can anyone tell me what documentation is required of me to apply for the 5 year licence as I know it changes depending on what DLT you go to.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app