Thai Drivers License Checklist

seedy

41 minutes ago, sotsira said:

My 5 year renewal is approaching and i remember that the 5 year period is calculated to

expire on your birthday.

What i can't remember is, depending on the date you actually go to renew will enable 

an additional year to be added to the 5 year period.

I think it is if you renew after the expiration date, you would benefit an extra year rounded

off to your birthdate.

Can someone just clarify that this is correct?

Yes, correct. Renew the day after your birthday and you get almost 6 years.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
27 minutes ago, stevenl said:
Yes, correct. Renew the day after your birthday and you get almost 6 years.

Is the 5 year period calculated differently to the 2 year? My 2 year is Issue date plus 2 years

Yes.

• 2 months later...
On 12/29/2017 at 8:56 AM, chris26be said:

Just got my Thai driver's license. Here is the current info (December 2017) for someone who does not have a driving license in the English language. I went to the Department of Land Transport (DLT) in Ubon Ratchathani (Ring road 231).

You need:
1. Your passport + copy of the first sheet + copy visa and stamp date of entering Thailand. A visa is apparently not necessary. I did not even have a visa, because this time I stay less than 30 days in Thailand.
2. Certificate of residence. Get this at the Tourist Police (Headquarters in Warin). Take your passport + copy, and also proof of your whereabouts, for example tabien job of your spouse + her ID card and copies.
3. Medical certificate. To be collected in a clinic. In my case, four doors next to the entrance of the DLT (80 Baht).
4. International driving license version 1949 + copy. Attention, Thailand does not accept version 1968.

Procedure:
After DLT has checked your documents on the third floor, four tests will follow:
1. Recognizing red, yellow and green.
2. A test in which you have to draw two rods with a cord on the same line (depth view, I suspect).
3. A reaction test: you have to brake when the light on the unit turns red.
4. To be able to recognize red, yellow and green on another device.

If you succeed, you have to watch a two hour video containing the traffic rules. Then you get your documents back. With that you go to the second floor, you pay 205 baht, they make a passport photo and then they make your driving license. That is valid for two years.

The bit about the Visa exempt stamp is interesting.... has anyone any experience with getting a licence at SamutPrakan with just a Visa exempt stamp (not a Visa) I'm over twice a year and it would save mhaving to remember to get an IDP each year.....

Andrew

On 22.3.2018 at 5:20 PM, RetroGTAndrew said:

The bit about the Visa exempt stamp is interesting.... has anyone any experience with getting a licence at SamutPrakan with just a Visa exempt stamp (not a Visa) I'm over twice a year and it would save mhaving to remember to get an IDP each year.....

Andrew

I got mine at DLT Bang Chak on a visa exemption...

Hi

I am out of Thailand right now but will return for a 90 day visit at the time my 5yr license will be up for renewal

But I will have a change of residence address

My question is if I no longer live in the same province can I still renew my license in the province where

I got the original 5yr license ? Or do I need to renew it at the province my current residence certificate will now show as home?

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How far in advance of the expiry (of a 2 year temporary) licence can one apply? Mine expires 28 June 2018, and my residence certificate ETA from Immigration which I applied for yesterday is about 30 May, or 1 month before the expiry. Is that too soon to apply for the 5 year licence?

I will apply at Bangchak in Bangkok. 

Edited by samtam
clarification

I really wonder why all the website owners claim that you can not get your thai DL if you have no visa..

I have just some 30 days extension from chonburi immigration.

However i went to bangkok in 2 Dlt's and handed them over my documents and there was no issue, i just canceled at the very last moment because the queue was like 1 month.

I whent on friday to cha am area and passed the test and on monday driving test.

So the info about visa is not true.

Edited by Woldenersen

On 5/19/2018 at 7:04 PM, Woldenersen said:

I really wonder why all the website owners claim that you can not get your thai DL if you have no visa..

I have just some 30 days extension from chonburi immigration.

However i went to bangkok in 2 Dlt's and handed them over my documents and there was no issue, i just canceled at the very last moment because the queue was like 1 month.

I whent on friday to cha am area and passed the test and on monday driving test.

So the info about visa is not true.

What "info about visa" are you referring to that is not true?

1 hour ago, Woldenersen said:

The part that you need a visa, like 90% of the websites claiming that on a 30 days on arrival is not enough and this is 100% false.

Not sure who you mean by 90% of the web sites - the 3 I use have loads of people stating not an issue - apart from possibly some specific DLTs. Maybe stick to TV in future.............:cheesy:

• 2 weeks later...

My USA license expired last year, the state say they extended it in the computer up to 2 more years, or 30 days of return to the USA.  Will I have to sit  through all the tests or no?  I will be doing it in Maha Sarahkam.  Also for the residency paper can i just get that at immigration or do i have to go to the embassy in Bangkok?  Thank you for any assistance!

My USA license expired last year, the state say they extended it in the computer up to 2 more years, or 30 days of return to the USA.  Will I have to sit  through all the tests or no?  I will be doing it in Maha Sarahkam.  Also for the residency paper can i just get that at immigration or do i have to go to the embassy in Bangkok?  Thank you for any assistance!
If your US physical licence has expired then i think you're have to do the test. If you can get hold of a new US card then you won't need to do the full test. Res certs are from immigration
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Could someone please reiterate the test and translation requirements based on nationality of the existing drivers license?

It appears if you have a US license: no IDP needed, no translation needed, no written, no driving test needed?

If you have a European license, no IDP needed?, translation needed (signed by embassy) unless it's from the UK?, no written and no driving test?

Verification of address: does a condo deed do the trick or do I have to go to my embassy? 

Work permit is acceptable as address verification, although it only has my work address on it, not my residence address?

Does your drivers license have to match your nationality?

1 hour ago, RaveBlond said:

It appears if you have a US license: no IDP needed, no translation needed, no written, no driving test needed?

Correct: if you have a driver's license in the English language, you do not need a IDP nor a translation. You do not have to take the written and driving test. You only have take color-blindness, depth view and reaction time tests.

• Like 1

Correct: if you have a driver's license in the English language, you do not need a IDP nor a translation. You do not have to take the written and driving test. You only have take color-blindness, depth view and reaction time tests.

I'm pretty sure there's a slight advantage of having an IDP, a guy i was queuing with who didn't have an IDP got lead off to watch a video where i didn't need to. No big deal but was a difference

Dunno where put this really I'll stick info here.

Update today Sukhothai DLT for car/ truck & m/c 5 year Thai DL's renewal 2 hours + 760 baht.

Yellow book or confirmation of address, passport & expired DL's, colour blind card test, watch 1 hour vid, you then get forms to sign, pay money, then a photo take, new DL's issued. 

I went more than 1 day late so have a 6 year DL's almost.

• 4 weeks later...

If you renew your 5-year Thai licence and you have a valid current work permit, does that count for anything. A previous poster said  'ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY'.  'Work permit with original and photocopy. I am not sure I understand original and photocopy. Does it mean original address?

Actually, the last time I renewed my drivers licence I showed them my work permit which happen to have the same address that was on my drivers licence. They accepted  the work permit as proof of address. But if your work permit has your company name in the address, I doubt that they would accept that. (This was in pattaya)

4 hours ago, khaepmu said:

If you renew your 5-year Thai licence and you have a valid current work permit, does that count for anything. A previous poster said  'ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT WITH ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY'.  'Work permit with original and photocopy. I am not sure I understand original and photocopy. Does it mean original address?

Actually, the last time I renewed my drivers licence I showed them my work permit which happen to have the same address that was on my drivers licence. They accepted  the work permit as proof of address. But if your work permit has your company name in the address, I doubt that they would accept that. (This was in pattaya)

Don't make sense to me either, just go along to DLT and renew your Thai DL like you did before.

• 5 months later...
6 hours ago, hackjam said:

My missus has Thai car licence, she wants an international licence, as we are heading to Europe soon, what is the procedure?

As long as it's a 5 year Thai DL your wife should go to a DLT office that issues an IDP ( International Driving Permit ) they are not licences.

The UK doesn't require a IDP don't know about other countries.

Edited by Kwasaki

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello. Can someone please advise (have tried looking for this info but cannot find).....

I've been working abroad and my two-year driving licence has expired (about six weeks ago).

I will go to renew at Pattaya in April after Songkran. Can I apply for a five-year driving licence or must I start again with a temporary licence?

What documents will I need?

When I got the temporary licence two years ago I did not show any immigration letter from the UK embassy, is that now required?

(Just to add, I also have a UK driving licence.)

Any advise much appreciated! Thank you!!

J

Edited by JRG23

1 minute ago, JRG23 said:

Hello. Can someone please advise (have tried looking for this info but cannot find).....

I've been working abroad and my two-year driving licence has expired (about six weeks ago).

I will go to renew at Pattaya in April after Songkran. Can I apply for a five-year driving licence or must I start again with a temporary licence?

When I got the temporary licence two years ago I did not show any immigration letter from the UK embassy, is that now required?

J

You might be OK! You still have your expired license! Present that!

(Just to add, I also have a UK driving licence.)

J
If on a tourist visa you can only get a 2 year driving licence. I needed doctor cert, res cert, copies of passport. If you are getting 2 licences, you need 2 copies of everything