Thai Drivers License Checklist

seedy

17 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If on a tourist visa you can only get a 2 year driving licence. I needed doctor cert, res cert, copies of passport. If you are getting 2 licences, you need 2 copies of everything

No, I have non-imm one year extension

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 1:15 PM, JRG23 said:

No, I have non-imm one year extension

@JRG23 Can you give a little advice for me? Especially when I can try to extend/renew my 2-year driving licenses for motorbike+car while the current ones expire on April 24th?

My 2-year driving license will expire on April 26th and I will return on a 30-day (same as I applied for my driving license) stamp tomorrow and would like to extend the driving license.

Obviously this is only possible for another 2-years as I am on the entry stamp but...

... I was reaching out to a local agency providing support for Thai driving licenses and they told me that I can only apply from 24th (day my current license expires) onwards!?

I do not want to go through all the stuff again but have all documents (residency letter, health check, international driving license, European driving license etc.) ready so I thought I can apply 3-months before the current license expires!?

Anything I am missing? Better to do myself I think but any recommendations for the 2-year renewal?

[mention=297990]JRG23[/mention] Can you give a little advice for me? Especially when I can try to extend/renew my 2-year driving licenses for motorbike+car while the current ones expire on April 24th?

My 2-year driving license will expire on April 26th and I will return on a 30-day (same as I applied for my driving license) stamp tomorrow and would like to extend the driving license.

Obviously this is only possible for another 2-years as I am on the entry stamp but...

... I was reaching out to a local agency providing support for Thai driving licenses and they told me that I can only apply from 24th (day my current license expires) onwards!?

I do not want to go through all the stuff again but have all documents (residency letter, health check, international driving license, European driving license etc.) ready so I thought I can apply 3-months before the current license expires!?

Anything I am missing? Better to do myself I think but any recommendations for the 2-year renewal?

It's from day of expiry, in your case 24th Apr. Yes it's stupid, TiT. I got mine a couple weeks ago
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Is there a new 5 disease medical form other than the short very basic one?

i just checked the one i got last month, its in thai but I can't see a list of 5 things, they just check blood pressure 150 baht at a clinic, hospitals are probably more thorough

Is there a new 5 disease medical form other than the short very basic one?

I just went to a local clinic, told them it was for driving license, they gave me the basic health check, weight, height, blood pressure, counted my limbs etc, 100 baht.
Worked fine in Ayutthaya DLT.

The 5 disease med cert is for an OA visa, maybe other things also but I don’t believe it’s required for a DL.

• 3 weeks later...

One copy of each below as of 05th June 2019 for car/bike licence renewal for each licence

Residents cert
Passport copy
Immigration stamp and visa copy
Old licence - original
Copy of old licence (both sides)

Pattaya driving licence offices by Regents school.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

On 6/5/2019 at 3:49 AM, Anythingleft? said:

One copy of each below as of 05th June 2019 for car/bike licence renewal for each licence

Residents cert
Passport copy
Immigration stamp and visa copy
Old licence - original
Copy of old licence (both sides)

Pattaya driving licence offices by Regents school.......

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

As posted earlier, : Health cert ...also,  i am in a rather unusual situation: I  will be renewing my DL which was issued in 2001, expired in pril 2019. From what I have read at <https://www.richardbarrow.com/2019/06/a-quick-guide-to-renewing-your-thai-driving-license-in-bangkok/comment-page-1/?unapproved=345065&moderation-hash=d3b6d3461f2ad0458685b2caa27b3672#comment-345065> I will need to provide copies of my 5 previous passports, covering the 18 years. I wonder how I managed to get a 18 year driving licence? 

Edited by paddypower

Renewal of 5 year car and bike today,Chumphae Khon Kaen.

2 x copy of yellow tabien

2 x copy current non-o visa in passport

2 x copy passport main page.

Hand over old licenses.

Note( i went and got a medical certificate 100 baht but was told not required for 5 year renewal.)

Upstairs for reaction test,parallel test and colour test.

Into next room for half an hour spiel and 40 minute video.

Downstairs,pay 760 baht for the 2 licences,photo taken,waited to be printed out and done.

Went in at 9.10am and out the door at 11.30am.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

an i photocopy the first certificate,??

There where ok with that at Barnglamung/Pattaya DLT  when I did mine last year.

also only one "certificate of residence" reguired +  one copy.

edit:

as long as you do the both renewals at the same time/day.

Edited by johng

1 minute ago, mercman24 said:

by cert of residence do you mean my condo contract, never seen a cert of residence in 6 years

No you get a "certificate of residence" from either Immigration,your embassy or you can use a work permit or Yellow book depending on what province you live in,

Chonburi/Pattaya are reported to only except residence certificate.

by cert of residence do you mean my condo contract, never seen a cert of residence in 6 years
i was there in March, you can use a copy of doctor cert and resident cert. For the resident cert issued by Jomtien, you need 2 photos, condo/hotel/guesthouse agreement, completed form. Make sure your TM30 has been done already otherwise a 2,000 baht fine most likely if they check

thanks,,  live Jomtien 2 years, BKK 4 years, retired so no probs with TM 30 so can i get this residence cert from immigration up the road from me, wonder why i did not do this when i got my driving licences 2 years ago,

Edited by mercman24

thanks,,  live Jomtien 2 years, BKK 4 years, retired so no probs with TM 30 so can i get this residence cert from immigration up the road from me, wonder why i did not do this when i got my driving licences 2 years ago,

If you live in Jomtien you can get it from Immigration there. Desk 9

My IDP will run out shortly, so I applied for a Thai driving license, the Land Office in Nong Khai gave me a letter to take to immigration asking them to confirm where I live. NK immigration refuse to issue as I am on a O/A visa issued in Australia that has 11 months left and say they will only issue a letter when my visa expires and I convert to a retirement visa.

I reside in Nong Khai province could I go to a neighboring province where the Land Office is much nearer I.e. Bueng Kan and apply there and use my 90 report receipt which states my address.

Anyone have experience of BK and if it is more lenient.

hi,
I have 2 years temporary driving licenses for Motobike and Car. These two driving licenses were to expire end of september 2019 and I was supposed to go to DLT for renewal. Unfortunately I lost them both today while being abroad and i wont be back to Thailand before end of august.

Do I have to apply for getting my both DL remade and then do the renew process or can I just do the renew process if i dont have the original licenses anymore. I have a photo of them both though.

I stay with WP in thailande which have been renewed in june for a year.

Also, which documents should I bring to the office.

Thanks for any help i coul get

• 1 month later...

How early can I renew my 5 year DL?  It expires on December 14 and I am doing my yearly extension on October 15 .  I remember that I will need a "proof of residence" which I think is only good for 30 days and I would like to get it when I do my extension as Immigration is a 200 kilometer trip..  That would mean that I would have to renew my DL before November 15.  Can I do that?  I don't care about loss of any time.

• 2 months later...

Does the DLT still accept the International drivers permit to get a Thai drivers?

I often see reference made about "home country" licence exactly what is meant by that?  I hold an Australian Passport but haven't lived in Australia for 15 years have no drivers from Oz, but I have live HK 15 years and have a HK driver's licence - can this be used? 

18 minutes ago, shadowmaster1971 said:

Does the DLT still accept the International drivers permit to get a Thai drivers?

I often see reference made about "home country" licence exactly what is meant by that?  I hold an Australian Passport but haven't lived in Australia for 15 years have no drivers from Oz, but I have live HK 15 years and have a HK driver's licence - can this be used? 

Yes, they do: https://www.dlt.go.th/en/international-driving-licence/ 

1 minute ago, Peterw42 said:

That is a link about what is required to get an international license to use a Thai license overseas, not about use an IDL to get a Thai license.

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER TEMPORARY (TWO YEAR) DRIVING LICENSE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  2. 2
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)
  4. 4
    ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS N'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, chris26be said:

https://www.dlt.go.th/en/renew-license/

IN CASE OF FOREIGNER TEMPORARY (TWO YEAR) DRIVING LICENSE

HAVE TO PREPARE THE DOCUMENTS AS FOLLOW

1. 1
    PASSPORT WITH VISA (ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY)
  2. 2
    ORIGINAL PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IN THAILAND CERTIFY FROM EMBASSY / IMMIGRATION BUREAU (VALID FOR 1 YEAR) OR WORK PERMIT (WITH PRESENT RESIDENT ADDRESS IDENTIFIED) AND ORIGINAL PHOTO COPY
  3. 3
    ORIGINAL MEDICAL CERTIFICATE (5 DISEASES FORM) FROM CLINIC OR HOSPITAL (VALID FOR 1 MONTH)
  4. 4
    ORIGINAL AND PHOTO COPY OF INVALID INTERNATIONAL DRIVING LICENCE (1949 CONVENTION) OR LOCAL DRIVING LICENCE (TRANSLATE IN TO ENGLISH OR THAI LANGUAGE AND CERTIFY BY EMBASSY IF IT IS N'T IN ENGLISH LANGUAGE)

#4, why does the international driving licence have to be INVALID?

Is that a typo?

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Admins, please move this to a more suitable thread if there is one.

This post concerns my Residence Certificate.  It may already have been covered in the preceding pages which I have not read.  I apologise for that, but this experience was so different from previously that I thought it might be a helpful warning to others.  Yesterday I embarked on the fairly simple task of renewing my 5-year Driving licence.  This will be my fourth licence.  The first step went well enough and the newly reopened Land Transport Office provided the letter that I needed to take to the Immigration Office to get my Residence Certificate.

At the Immigration Office the official I will refer to as Lady 1 approached me carrying a big, full lever arch file.  She started going through this showing me the contents which were copies of documents that I needed to provide in order to gain my Residence Certificate.  It quickly became obvious that these documents were much the same as those required recently in March for my Extension of Permission to Stay for the purpose of retirement based on my original Non-Imm “O” Visa.  I pointed this out to her but was told that was no good because it all had to be taken to the “Big Boss”.  She said this pointing upstairs from where the “Big Boss” obviously ruled his domain.

Lady 1 then offered to write a list of all the copies I needed.  It is attached to this post and I left the office to scan everything required.

I returned in mid-afternoon with some 40 or so copies as required.  While Lady 1 was checking that everything was present and had been signed by me, I was approached by lady 2.  She demanded to see my bank book.  I was a bit surprised and explained that it was back in my room and I had not been asked for it previously.  I offered a copy of the bank letter I had used for my extension.  The two ladies had a brief consultation after which they dropped the issue.  Lady 1 eventually explained that they had wanted to check that I was complying with Criteria (4) for granting extension of stay.  This is the criteria for length of time and amounts of money that must be left in your account at any time.

All seemed to be complete and in order so I was optimistic enough to think that I would be able to go away this weekend, as planned, with my new driving licence in my wallet. 

Lady 1 added my telephone number to the records and then told me that she would phone me at some time within a week to tell me I could collect the certificate.

The scrutiny of us is becoming ever more detailed and frequent. 

45217.jpg

5 hours ago, mark5335 said:

I don't know how you did that, Mark.  For the interest of other readers I can say it is not one of the big ones in major cities or tourist destinations.  To avoid any repercussions I will not name them publicly.   Mark, I'll PM you now.