Thai Drivers License Checklist

seedy

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jakob Clements said:

I am Chinese and I am going to study in Thailand. I want to apply for a driver's license there, so I don't need to take an exam when I return to my country. Does the above method apply to me? Or can I only use a work visa to test a driver's license?

I cannot give a comprehensive answer to your question as I am only aware of my own circumstances.  However I can say that you do not need a work permit to gain a Thai driver's licence.  I am retired and therefore have no work permit.  I am now on my fourth licence and it has never been an issue.  

On 7/12/2020 at 2:24 PM, losername said:

For the interest of other readers I can say it is not one of the big ones in major cities or tourist destinations.  To avoid any repercussions I will not name them publicly. 

Why not? At least people may know to avoid it or just to ignore what you went through as it bears little relation to most people's experience of getting a CoR for a driving licence.

Presumably it was not what you went through previously either I would guess?

There are several other threads on this at the moment but the problem is the requirements are likely to always differ depending on the specific IO/DLT. Hence not naming the office is somewhat counterproductive to providing the info :thumbsup:

On 7/30/2020 at 11:15 AM, Jakob Clements said:

I am Chinese and I am going to study in Thailand. I want to apply for a driver's license there, so I don't need to take an exam when I return to my country. Does the above method apply to me? Or can I only use a work visa to test a driver's license?

Several years ago, Thai DLT offices in many provinces, especially Chang Mai and Chang Rai were swamped with Chinese doing exactly what you want to do for the same reason.  The Thai DLT instituted a number of restrictions to address the problem, making it more difficult for Chinese to get Thai driving licenses..  I do not know what these restrictions were but they may apply to you so I suggest you get in touch with the DLT 

Edited by dddave

• 3 weeks later...

Hope can ask question in this thread.

So I have a certificate of residence (Bangkok) and other required docs and AU car and bike licence.

Do I need to apply for Thai DL in Bangkok or can I apply in Pattaya. Currently on Samet.

On 8/20/2020 at 11:13 AM, DrJack54 said:

Hope can ask question in this thread.

So I have a certificate of residence (Bangkok) and other required docs and AU car and bike licence.

Do I need to apply for Thai DL in Bangkok or can I apply in Pattaya. Currently on Samet.

Tough one.  Sorry you do not have reply from more knowledgeable member.  While it is certainly good to know in advance that you are doing the right thing in the right place I would suggest you simply go to the DLT Office of your choice and ask.  Maybe they will do it maybe not.  Nothing lost.  They are much more welcoming and amenable than Immigration.  Good luck.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, losername said:

Tough one.  Sorry you do not have reply from more knowledgeable member.  While it is certainly good to know in advance that you are doing the right thing in the right place I would suggest you simply go to the DLT Office of your choice and ask.  Maybe they will do it maybe not.  Nothing lost.  They are much more welcoming and amenable than Immigration.  Good luck.

Thanks.

Have decided to back to BKK to obtain it.

I'm after a bike license also. I'm hoping I can obtain both on same day. If not I will need stay extra day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2020 at 10:55 AM, Richrd said:

Hello, I a brit in TH on a spouse visa. My UK international license expired and due to covid cannot go back to UK. I want a TH license for bike and car. Do you know if and how that's possible?

Richard

You have your UK licence? If so you should be able to avoid the practical tests.

Just go to your local DLT and find out what they want from you (paperwork) and book an appointment.

By the way you could go back to the UK if you want - planes are flying...........:wink:

Thank you, sorry, to clarify, cannot go back to UK for the international licence and then come back.

Thanks for the heads up on visiting the office. Will look out local one. Wondered whether that list is published on www, so can get it ready without visiting.

Richard

11 hours ago, Richrd said:

Wondered whether that list is published on www, so can get it ready without visiting.

Lot of posts saying what was required - except different DLTs may have different requirements.

For car and bike you will need duplicates of each

UK licences

Passport details page

Extension/Visa stamps page(s)

Entry stamp/TM6 or whatever it is called

Medical certificate (can be one original and one copy depending on location)

Certificate of Residence from Immigration (can be one original and one copy depending on location)

Have a look at the other posts here or in the Pattaya section or maybe someone else will chime in if I have forgotten anything

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Nayet said:

I notice https://www.dlt.go.th/en/ still reads: "All Land Transport Offices have suspended all services related to driving license and transport personnel license from March 31st 2020 until the state of emergency is terminated or until there is any other announcement."

Is this still in effect? Or is there any way to currently get a driver license?

I can definitely confirm that the Land Transport Offices Chonburi as well as Bang Lamung are fully operational since many weeks as far as driving licenses are concerned. My stepdaughter just recently got a new license plate as well. You can go ahead - no problem.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I have two questions:

1. When converting my home country license to Thai license, will they take my home country document? 

2. I only have a car license, but I want to apply for motorbikes as well. I understand that I will have to take the tests etc, I just came to Thailand and I am still doing the quarantine. I am scheduled to get my work permit on Monday. Do I have to wait untill visa extension or 90 day report or something else is done to apply or can I apply do it on the same day I receive my work permit?

I have a condo rented out here, its only until March(I had a job before, but quit and just came back).

I also have IDP, but the front page is in my native language for some stupid reason, will that be a problem?

My embassy wants 3000-5000 baht for certified translations

20 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

Hi,

I have two questions:

1. When converting my home country license to Thai license, will they take my home country document? 

2. I only have a car license, but I want to apply for motorbikes as well. I understand that I will have to take the tests etc, I just came to Thailand and I am still doing the quarantine. I am scheduled to get my work permit on Monday. Do I have to wait untill visa extension or 90 day report or something else is done to apply or can I apply do it on the same day I receive my work permit?

I have a condo rented out here, its only until March(I had a job before, but quit and just came back).

I also have IDP, but the front page is in my native language for some stupid reason, will that be a problem?

My embassy wants 3000-5000 baht for certified translations

In response to 1: They will not take away you home country license original. Only a copy. But an embassy certified transIation is required. I would like to suggest never to give away your original permit.

In response to 2: To apply for any driving license, a Residence Certificate is needed. Not sure if this can be substituted by a working permit. Just ask the Land Transport Office.

IDP: You are allowed to drive for a certain period without a Thai Driving License when you have just arrived. But not sure for how long. Ask the Land Transport Office. All IDP have the front page in native language, but on subsequent pages there should be an English translation - after all it is an International Driving Permit.

• Like 1

Thanks for reply.

Do I need my original drivers license translation or can I substitute it with IDP? If the former is true, then does it have to be certified translation from my embassy or can I just use random translator from my own country? This way it would be faster and cheaper.

Yeah, I know I will have to get the residence certificate, this is why I can get it right away on my first day after getting a work permit or will I have to let's say wait until visa extension or whatever.

Btw, my friend said he was asked to pay 1000 baht for residence certificate. What to do if they ask me to pay?

Sorry I ask all these questions, when I could just go there, but I don't want to waste day off on this and I will have only one day between quarantine and  starting day at new job.

Edited by Kalorymetr

If you are on such a tight schedule I would not rely on what anybody says here. Get the first hand information. This is as well because each office may behave differently.

From what I know you may not substitute your original DP with the IDP. And I would recommend to have it translated from your embassy.

You get the Residence Certificate from your local Immigration Office. I do not recall how much it is exactly, but I am sure I paid much less than 1000 Baht. I would call them or better visit them to ask when you can get this paper. To do all this in one day seems impossible to me. And with some lockdowns coming up anyway. Ask the Land Transport Office for how long you can drive with your IDP alone.

Edited by moogradod
  • Like 1

On 12/30/2020 at 6:40 PM, moogradod said:

You get the Residence Certificate from your local Immigration Office. I do not recall how much it is exactly, but I am sure I paid much less than 1000 Baht.

Unless it has changed since I asked for one it was free (Nonthaburi).

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2020 at 7:31 AM, moogradod said:

IDP: You are allowed to drive for a certain period without a Thai Driving License when you have just arrived. But not sure for how long. Ask the Land Transport Office. All IDP have the front page in native language, but on subsequent pages there should be an English translation - after all it is an International Driving Permit.

I believe it is 3 months but there are different opinions. I've reached the end of 3 months now so plan on getting a Thai licence. I'll go down to the local office with my wife and see what is needed.