Many have beliefs so entrenched, escape almost impossible.

rockyysdt

In my interaction S with family, friends, and colleagues reveals and confirms entrenched, values, beliefs, and judgements are so powerful, no amount of proof will dissuade them.

I can illustrate in this way.

They will have a picture or mental summary which they will associate with others.

Presentation of concrete facts and verifiable discussion seems to be accepted momentarily, but the person will always return to the entrenched picture.

If this picture is negative the innocent party can be made to feel uncomfortable or rejected through no fault of their own.

First impressions can be critical.

These seem to be the strongest picture or evaluation travelers msy hold.

Overcoming it is not easy.

A manager I once had was thankfully, due to a series of circumstances had the best possible first impression of me.

Since then I turned out not to shine at all.

It didn't matter.

His first impression shined through.

I was perfect and bullet proof in his eyes.

These appear to be examples of Delusion.

They make us rigid and fixed.

Without Awareness there can be no acknowledgement let alone letting go.

Is this your experience?

This awareness of others helps me to inwardly focus on my fixed views and opinions.

Each of us must grow awareness in order to let go.

Has anyone had success in letting go?

Rocky,

This has always been the major problem for humanity throughout history, and the cause of so much conflict. People generally seem to need the confidence to feel that they are correct, in respect of their thoughts, attitudes, opinions and behaviour.

When one begins questioning one's own thoughts, attitudes, opinions and behaviour, then uncertainty results, which is not good for the efficient functioning of society.

An extreme example would be the role of the soldier. If he were to start questioning the decisions of his superior officers, and start questioning his own behaviour in following orders to kill people, then he would cease to be an efficient soldier. He'd be better off leaving the army.

A similar situation applies to all professions and activities. To continue doing what one is doing, one needs to feel it is right. This is why I have a great respect for the true hermit who has separated himself from the demands of earning a living, which usually involves activities which are associated with some degree of harm to others, even if that harm only consists of the occasional killing of worms and insects as one tills the earth. wink.png

Religious beliefs arose from the impossible task of understanding the world around them when mankind was in its infancy. Gods were necessary to explain what was happening.

Science has progressively explained the previously inexplicable. It's a scary fact, however, that about 50% of Republican voters in the USA reject evolution science. Another 15% say they don't know. And that's supposed to be one of the best educated nations on the planet.

I have found in Asia general rule of thumb, my mother said " blah blah" whether religion to latest antibiotics. The boss of the family rules the nest and everyone has

their pecking order and place...If there is a change of opinions it generally is done out of earshot & eyesight... So there is this cultural thing that cohabits the culture

of various countries. If you wish to change this especially for your respective partners my advice or should i state what i have experienced in order to save

everyone's FACE good luck. Most will do whatever way they want. There is one thing you will forever try to alter is scheduling appointment times whether it is a

simple txt or meet me scenerio. Simple truth is if i don't feel like it i won't do it. I found the best way to overcome this is "meet me at the ATM. This is never 100% but

what is in the land of smiles....

Religious beliefs arose from the impossible task of understanding the world around them when mankind was in its infancy. Gods were necessary to explain what was happening.

Science has progressively explained the previously inexplicable. It's a scary fact, however, that about 50% of Republican voters in the USA reject evolution science. Another 15% say they don't know. And that's supposed to be one of the best educated nations on the planet.

That last sentence is somewhat open to dispute perhaps.

You can make believe all you want. Understanding cannot result from only believing. Understanding happens when one knows, not believes. Nothing wrong with believing. All that I'm saying is that to understand, I would much rather know than to believe. Knowing is one step beyond believing. Once you know, believe all you want.

That's what I know.

Sorry Rocky, you come across like a fish out of water...trying to find your way home...good luck...

I was thinking the same thing.

Another person being all philosophical and seemingly searching for the meaning of life.

Cheers

The USA is the best educated country on the planet? Really? I think this is what a lot of Americans like to think but are somewhat deluded with ideas of greatness.

You can make believe all you want. Understanding cannot result from only believing. Understanding happens when one knows, not believes. Nothing wrong with believing. All that I'm saying is that to understand, I would much rather know than to believe. Knowing is one step beyond believing. Once you know, believe all you want.

That's what I know.

The problem for many is that, in their eyes, their beliefs are truth/fact.

Agree.

There's a shocking depth of ignorance in the religious community. Religion -The best example of the OP's key point.

This awareness of others helps me to inwardly focus on my fixed views and opinions.

Each of us must grow awareness in order to let go.

Has anyone had success in letting go?

For me it was examining my own mental processes, through practising Right Speech, that allowed me to see the role of ego in holding/defending views. At the same time, I read some excellent teachings on the subject of ego (True Freedom by Ajahn Jagaro, etc) and how it works. Once we understand how ego actually enslaves us much of the time, we suddenly wake up (a major theme in The Matrix) and have the potential to do something about it. It's then that we see it in others too.

The problem is maintaining awareness of the ego every minute of the day in order to deal with it. It's a slow process and it's easy to just give up and let the ego have its own way. As I understand it, having views is fine, it's fixed views that cause problems. i.e. We hold views but keep an open mind so that we can change them without feeling threatened. We don't make these views part of our identity by becoming attached to them.

Given time to think things over, it isn't difficult to let go of any particular opinion if a more logical or better supported opinion is presented. It's more of a problem during face to face human interaction, when the ego is liable to feel threatened and attempt to take control.

Certainly wisdom is required before one will even think about trying to escape suffering by following the teachings of the Buddha to attain Nibbana.

'The wise can be counted like the number of horns on a cow, whilst the unwise like the number of hairs'

Simple belief or even knowledge (second-hand) attained by reading, study or listening to teachings is just inellectual, but real experiential knowledge, which goes beyond belief, is only attained by practice. Just listening to those who do practice and relate their own experience is not enough... we have to experience it for ourselves.

Archived