Taking a Buddhist statue out of the country

geronimo

Can be a big problem even if it is just a cement reproduction.

Years ago, a friend bought a beautiful cement statue of a woman in Bali and brought it to Bangkok where he installed it into his garden. Though not a Buddha, it is in the traditional temple statue style.

This year he moved back to the US and consigned the statue along with some other goods to a shipper in Bangkok for shipment back to the US.

The shipper has been trying for six months to get this statue cleared for shipping but so far, the "Antiquities" inspectors at customs say "No", even though it did not originate in Thailand and is a cement reproduction.

Along with the legitimate concern of genuine Thai antiquities being exported, Thais are very concerned about Buddhist images being used inappropriately. I once took a tour of the famous "Jim Thompson House" with a group of Thais. They were disturbed that so many of the Buddhist statues were displayed on low tables and in other inappropriate ways, as decor, not as a symbol of worship,

Hi, a friend of mine was given a Buddha statue (about 30cm high) and he wants to know if he can take this through customs at Suwwanaphum airport without any problem.

Thx in advance

Instruction on the Export of Antiquities or Buddha Images from the Kingdom of Thailand

Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or related fragments, part of ancient monuments and prehistoric objects, are forbidden to be taken out of the Kingdom. Newly cast Buddha images in complete condition can be exported for worship, cultural exchange or educational purposes with licenses issued by the Fine Arts Department. Not more than 5 pieces per person shall be allowed.

(more information contact to 0 2628 5032)

Reproductions of antiquities can also be exported with licenses.

Procedures to obtain a license for export of antiquities or Buddha images:

3.1 The following documents ahould be produced together with the application form :

(a) two copies (3x5 inches) of front view photograph of the object(s)

(B) a photocopy of the applicant's passport (in case of export of Buddha images the photocopy of passport must be certified as true copy by the related Embassy or Consulate in Thailand.)

3.2 Bring the object(s) and the documents to apply for a license at any of the following places:

(a) Office of Archaeology and National Museums, 81/1 Si Ayutthaya Road, Theves, Dusit, Bangkok, Tel: 0 2628 5032

(B) Chiang Mai National Museum, Superhighway Road, Amphoe Muang, Chiang Mai, Tel : (053) 221-308

© Songkhla National Museum, 13/1 Jana Road, Tambon Bohyang, Amphoe Muang, Songkhla, Tel : (074) 311-728, 311-881

(d) Thalang National Museum, Tambon Si Sunthorn, Amphoe Thalang, Phuket, Tel : (076) 311-426

3.3 Please allow 4 working days for license issuing process.

I've heard the stories, but never had a problem exporting Buddha images. I've shipped them with furniture, checked them in, and hand carried with never a query.

They've ranged from Ayutthaya and Sukhothai periods (certified), through to modern reproductions. You shouldn't be having a problem, so maybe the shipper tried too hard to do the 'right' thing.

When I exported my first, the advice I was given by the owner of Chongkolnee Antiques, now deceased and business closed, was that checked in or shipped, there would be no questions asked. I've found that also when carried as cabin baggage.

When I moved to LOS from South Africa, two years ago, I wanted to bring three Balinese statues with me but my shipper said it was too complicated and I risked having my entire shipping container searched or even sent back!

They are still in Johannesburg.....dammit!

Having lived here for a while now, I would tell him to put them in the container and see how it goes. I probably wouldn't have had any problems.

As it was I had to pay 80,000 THB "import tax" for the shipment......down from a scary 200,000 THB! My entree into Thai ways of business.

Anyway, re: exporting, wrap it well and put it in checked luggage. 99% certain to be OK.

wai.gif

post-189147-0-39725300-1464521139_thumb.

post-189147-0-95597000-1464521156_thumb.

post-189147-0-52725600-1464521167_thumb.

Oh for heaven sake just stick it in your bag & take it-----if we worried about every silly law they have here,

we would have no time to do our knitting .....................coffee1.gif

I've just been reading that, by law, you have to turn your headlights on when it's raining in Sweden.
And I'm thinking, "Who the f$$c's going to let me know when it's raining in Sweden?"

Years ago, a friend bought a beautiful cement statue of a woman in Bali and brought it to Bangkok where he installed it into his garden. Though not a Buddha, it is in the traditional temple statue style.

This year he moved back to the US and consigned the statue along with some other goods to a shipper in Bangkok for shipment back to the US.

The shipper has been trying for six months to get this statue cleared for shipping but so far, the "Antiquities" inspectors at customs say "No", even though it did not originate in Thailand and is a cement reproduction.

Along with the legitimate concern of genuine Thai antiquities being exported, Thais are very concerned about Buddhist images being used inappropriately. I once took a tour of the famous "Jim Thompson House" with a group of Thais. They were disturbed that so many of the Buddhist statues were displayed on low tables and in other inappropriate ways, as decor, not as a symbol of worship,

...Buddha images are never displayed as an ornament in a Thai home.. I've read that Thompson made many enemies because of his treatment of Buddha images as decorations.. I believe it is illegal to export any Buddha image from Thailand.. an antique or not...

...Buddha images are never displayed as an ornament in a Thai home.. I've read that Thompson made many enemies because of his treatment of Buddha images as decorations.. I believe it is illegal to export any Buddha image from Thailand.. an antique or not...

As mentioned above, you can take out (non-antique) images with a licence. I have been through the process personally when I shipped a Buddha image back to the UK some years ago (although nothing seems to have changed in terms of the process). Its pretty straightforward in terms of the actual process (you just need a certificate), but they might grill you a bit as to why you want one (I am Buddhist, and showed them a photo of me when I was a monk in Thailand which cut through all the questions). The Post Office I shipped from was pretty surprised that a farang had a certificate, but once I showed it to them, there was no problem at all packing it up and posting off to the UK.

I don't believe that there are issues bringing Buddhas into the country. I suspect that a shipping agent might get nervous because of the restrictions stated above, but as I understand it, these only relate to shipping Buddhas out of the country. Buddhas are regularly brought back from India by Thais so I really don't believe that there would be any problem save for the usual import duty issues. The Balinese images might be a problem as they look antique so might cause more trouble than they are worth unless you get certificates of origin/manufacture or something which might not be readily available unless you did so regularly

Bought a big gold Buddha in Korat from the mall when they had a craft fare on about 4 years ago, must have been 30cms across and 40cms high, wrapped it up well in bubble wrap & card board carried it on the plane Home, no problem, now I'm moving back to Thailand Buddha has gone to a good home in Scotland.

in the 80.s you had the you take your Buddha's

to the arts dept, had to have pic's of all

the dept, would put a string the Buddha and seal the string

if the Buddha( was listed as very out) you can't take it out of Thailand,

if it was ok to be taken out of Thailand,they would give you paper work say it was ok

but the paper had to match the number on the seal,also you had to hand carry it

took 4 out that way,but brought them back when we care to live here

now all 4 Buddha's antique's and never taken out of Thailand

Wrong, twice. There are many Buddha ornaments, like paintings and low-relief that are placed by many Thais outside of the home shrine, but always in a dignified position.

And as you could have learned just reading the thread, export is legal as long the proper procedure is followed.

I think it's the ministry of fine arts department where you can get a permit. I did this 30 years ago. Pictures, forms and documents had to be compiled before obtaining permission. In this case, I'm talking about a large human size statue. For small Buddhas that you would wear, I have carried with me on many trips abroad and have never once been questioned.

I brought back a fairly large brass Buddha about 5 years ago. I had it in my check-in baggage. I was asked to open my bag and the inspector saw the Buddha, looked at me and smiled. He told me to close my bag and waved me on. We had heard about having to have a letter from one of the ministries, etc. We tried finding it but we never did and decided to see what happens.

Thx for all the replies guys. I understand that when an OP says it is a friend who wants to know, we assume it is the poster who is the real one with the problem, but in this case it really is a friend and when I told him its risky, he left it with me, gave me 100$ and asked me to mail it to him. So now my question isn't about taking it in the baggage, it's about mailing it. Lol

I don't think it's so risky. Even without filling the full paperwork have a letter done at the local temple stating the the recipient is a virtuous man conforming to Buddhism principles, and the image will be displayed with the appropriate dignity. Have it ready when flying out or shipping.

when we moved to US from BKK about 15 yrs ago...the wife put her "family buddhas" in her carry on... they are a few small statues, none over 6 inches tall. She is Thai and has had these her whole life. Also several amulets given to her by her brother, a long time monk.

anyways.. i know there is a lot more signage about this issue these days. The wife says it is crazy for her to have to go to a govt. building and get her personal, family, small buddhas "certified" so she can take them out this time, as we are moving back having been here for 7+ yrs this time round.

anyone care to comment on their personal experiences with a thai taking small personal buddhas out? I think she will be OK.... but TIT>..

Thx for all the replies guys. I understand that when an OP says it is a friend who wants to know, we assume it is the poster who is the real one with the problem, but in this case it really is a friend and when I told him its risky, he left it with me, gave me 100$ and asked me to mail it to him. So now my question isn't about taking it in the baggage, it's about mailing it. Lol

Removing any Buddha image from Thailand without the proper paperwork is a criminal offense. Wether it is taken by you in luggage, or mailed, you are taking a risk and breaking the law. If the officer on duty and dealing with your luggage or posted parcel is in the right mood, and does not get the paperwork, you could go to jail.

Removing any Buddha image from Thailand without the proper paperwork is a criminal offense. Wether it is taken by you in luggage, or mailed, you are taking a risk and breaking the law. If the officer on duty and dealing with your luggage or posted parcel is in the right mood, and does not get the paperwork, you could go to jail.

well, we all know that this is thailand and THAIS get differential treatment in many areas - for instance, my friends thai wife with american passport, who chooses to stay in thailand as a USA citizen, when she goes to immigration to do her 90 day report and yearly renewal, gets much faster and easier processing of her documents... anyways... i suspect that given the numbers of Thais who go to reside abroad for any period of time, that the taking of family buddhas (talking SMALL ones here, not big interior/exterior home "decorations") would be permitted, formally or informally.

I was just looking to see if there is some official position on the issue.

well, we all know that this is thailand and THAIS get differential treatment in many areas - for instance, my friends thai wife with american passport, who chooses to stay in thailand as a USA citizen, when she goes to immigration to do her 90 day report and yearly renewal, gets much faster and easier processing of her documents... anyways... i suspect that given the numbers of Thais who go to reside abroad for any period of time, that the taking of family buddhas (talking SMALL ones here, not big interior/exterior home "decorations") would be permitted, formally or informally.

I was just looking to see if there is some official position on the issue.

finally decided to open the horse's mouth and count the teeth, instead of speculation.

Called up the local authority here in CM and they said the wife needed to certify and get certificate for her 3 main (about 6-8 inches each) house buddhas, but all the amulets and smaller icons that she has gotten from temples all over thailand, do not need to be submitted for certification.

so, taking pictures and going to the national museum to get clearance. End of drama for the wife and me

Most postparcels are going true a scan, if they see the Buddha statue they will conficate the whole postparcel, this happened to a friend of my

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Very few Thais really understood Buddhism if they do then you wouldn't have this silly problem at all.

A Thai lay man (that is ordinary person ) or a Buddhist monk who has really studied "Abhidharma" (higher form of dharma teaching) will think this is a silly question, because you are ignorant of the teaching of Buddha.

You have mistaken a piece of stone for Buddha or rather a piece of brass copper for Buddha. Yes of course this is a religious object, you need to give it the proper respectful way of handling it or putting it in a proper place that's about all.

What a big fuss with the government saying you cannot take it out of the country without a permit.  They say they want to prevent people from disrespectfully using the statue of Buddha as a decoration or perhaps a door wedge. Anyone could make a statue of Buddha especially in this age of computer you could make any replica you want. So why would they need to take it out of Thailand to do something disrespectful to it. Does it makes sense?

Any clever Thai properly instructed in Buddhist teaching will understand that Buddha doesn't reside in a piece of wood. Buddha had taught his disciple in Abhidharma the "ultimate truth and skillful thinking". Even if you insulted Buddhism a clever Thai properly instructed in Buddhism with his skillful thinking would not get angry. Because he understood "The object of Anger, the rising and falling of Anger"- He understood the ultimate truth. Well, he understood the universe for that matter.

Only half-witted government official threaten you with fine and imprisonment for unknowingly taking a statue of Buddha out of Thailand.

I need to print some T-shirts that say , "Buddha loves you, don't misunderstood his teaching"  Is that ok with the government I wonder?

• 6 months later...
On 2016/5/29 at 5:12 AM, oxo1947 said:

Oh for heaven sake just stick it in your bag & take it-----if we worried about every silly law they have here,

we would have no time to do our knitting .....................coffee1.gif

I've just been reading that, by law, you have to turn your headlights on when it's raining in Sweden.
And I'm thinking, "Who the f$$c's going to let me know when it's raining in Sweden?"

Please don't give advice like this, you could get him into trouble. Just ask him, "Don't you have better things to do?"

• 1 month later...

And where do I purchase a statue of the Buddha in the first place (Bangkok, Watthana, ideally)?

Serious question. Quite unexpectedly, I will be staying in Krungthep for a few months and want to build a small altar in the new apt. I would prefer a wooden statue, no ghastly gold plated plastic.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived