What would you miss about Thailand?

Inspire

The things you miss (like those reported by the OP) on a holiday when returning home are trivial and easily forgotten. I thought the question refers to people who live here and if they left what would they miss?

My answer if that is the case is that I would miss the things that brought me here in the first place:

It's cheaper to live, the weather suits me more than back home in UK and, of course, the Thai people and their culture.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dave 2 nailed it! I had a beer a few days ago at Big Dog's in Nana Plaza to watch the happenings come and go. All of sudden I heard this bar girl say to this poor guy behind me: What you name, where you come from, what hotel.....bla bla bla. I couldn't take it so moved a few seats away and right into a cloud of cigarette smoke. Didn't even finish my one drink, paid my tab and went back to my apartment. That was the final straw. After three years here on a retirement visa, I am packing it in. Finished. Going back to beautiful Hawaii at the end of my lease in July. I am done here.

Really petty incidents.

Makes me wonder why you bothered coming here in the first place ?

At bar girl places...the talk usually exactly what he said.

An alternative would be a non bar girl place. Many of those.

I remember some streets near Ala Moana shopping Mall just outside the "ki's".

Kona Street and Keamouku. All Asian Bars..and pretty much the same level conversation.

Tons more expensive...and that was 1985 there compared to 2016 here.

Girls usually were picked up by asian men in expensive luxury cars.

I owned a condo on the corner of Alawai and McCully.. It was fun, but the people were not.

Way too many tourists, and the locals treated me like krap.

Here..I sometimes feel a bit of a celebrity.... There, I was getting hit in head by football throwing samoans.....at the beach. Those were the girls...the big ones...

Warmness and civility of its people

Feeling of safety walking at night

Care-free, non-judgemental attitudes

Friendly women who arent afraid to be feminine

Consideration and regard for others not just one's self

They're hand sprayers? I've been using them for .... oh never mind.

I actually like the soft corruption (not the blatant heavy stuff where status buys influence), but if you forget about your tax disc because it's out of sight out of mind, greasing the wheels for smooth and painless paper processing - I know many will disagree with me on this one.

Simple access to basic street food.

A car not being a prerequisite to get by for 24 hours going about your business.

Frequent bin emptying and recycling centres where they will pay you rather than being charged a fine for having your wheelie bin out on the wrong day. You can just leave your glass and plastic outside your door and someone will see value in it and take care of the issue.

There are probably a hundred more things to add to that list, but would probably have to live back in my own country to get a feel for what they are, and if I did that I'd probably be a 'Thai bore' comparing everything to how they do it better in Thailand, so that's not happening if I have any say in the matter. There are things that work the other way around too - notably driving (in)competence, but that wasn't part of OP's question.

I suppose the way many of the cute ladies wink at me in Tesco Lotus.

Seriously, My rent is down to 2500 baht a month. Ten times lower than back home. This allows me to maintain a home in the Philippines, at the same time. (Rent there is similar). Yep..you can live in two countries...but I left the Philippines and my kids just stay there. I visit. After all that, I can put 30 percent of my income in the bank..per month.

Utilities and Internet are very low, compared to back home as well.

I tend to just slow down at stop signs, instead of coming to a complete stop. Back home, I get a ticket every single time. Here...I have never been stopped, for that.

Also...can double park...without issue. That comes in handy. I just leave the car in the middle of the road and take my time at the market. I save hundreds of dollars in parking fees and tickets.

Rent 2,500b, u must be living in a 12sqm box room on the Thai/Burmese border.

Dave 2 nailed it! I had a beer a few days ago at Big Dog's in Nana Plaza to watch the happenings come and go. All of sudden I heard this bar girl say to this poor guy behind me: What you name, where you come from, what hotel.....bla bla bla. I couldn't take it so moved a few seats away and right into a cloud of cigarette smoke. Didn't even finish my one drink, paid my tab and went back to my apartment. That was the final straw. After three years here on a retirement visa, I am packing it in. Finished. Going back to beautiful Hawaii at the end of my lease in July. I am done here.

Really petty incidents.

Ditto,Go home and make room for the next farang,and may be he will be the next friend the rest of us meet. By By

The old bum gun thing. Quite a few countries in Europe have had them for ages, that's where they came from, my guess is the French brought them to Indochina. Only barbarians scrape with sandpaper.

Thainess is squat & ladle. Enjoy that.

What would i miss about Thailand .. easy.. All the bickering on Thai visa.

Well, no reason for you to stay... time to go, because, the internet is NOT only in Thailand, you've been here too long, you can enjoy the bickering from anywhere in the world, as long as you have an internet connection, geez, they can probably get it in the international space station.

My Wife.................... honestly.........that's it. Nothing else. Been here 14 years now and it has lost all its appeal.

Yeah. Were it not for my extended family here, I'd be gone tomorrow. There's no indication of light at the end of the tunnel and rolling downhill eyes closed isn't something I like. Luckily, I've got a brilliant family, so it's worth it.

Very good food at a low cost. In fact, the culture of food in general.

Women you haven't heard from in months suddenly calling you up for a shag.

Random yet sometimes useful things for sale in unexpected locations.

Sleeping naked with no blankets.

The sense of adventure via travel.

Motorcycle taxis.

Happy endings.

Really petty incidents.

Obviously not for the bars/girls/booze/cigarettes. Definitely in the minority it seems

All their annoying personal questions.

Are you telling me you object to the taxi driver asking how much you paid for your condo?

Or the security guard asking you how much you paid for that pineapple in the market and even if you tell him 5 baht he says "oh you pay too much"

If you dont want to hear that type of talk from women then dont go to gogo bars. Plenty of good bars in BKK.

Archived