Smart House & Internet Or Things in Thailand

rchapstick

Hi all

I am currently in the midst of a new build (abut 25% complete), and I have been contemplating installing (or preparing to install) things like:

• Smart lighting - being able to program lighting "scenes", and control remotely via smart phone app
  • Smart door locks
  • IOT security system
  • Smart AC control

The offerings have recently, in the last year or two, become more robust. Plenty of options in the US and UK. But seemingly little so far in Thailand.

Now before we get too far here, I can already hear the chorus of "Thai electricians are too dim-witted to do this" replies. I actually have a very good electrician, and I have no qualms about his ability to do the necessary wiring.

Here is what I do know .... all wiring must be 3 wire back to the source/junction box .... Live, Neutral, and Ground. Also, switch junction boxes need to be large enough to accommodate the smart dimmer/switch modules.

I am curious if anyone has experience with these systems thus far. Any local suppliers? Any real experience here installing and owning? Do I need to source from the UK (US is the wrong voltage)?

Thanks

That's going to be a large property. Be interested how you make out with the "smart" wiring, believe you will need to run cat 5 or similar throughout the house, hopefully someone in the know will be along. Good luck with the build.

Home automation I think is the operative word here. See jungasia.com (German hardware) and venzo.co.th (Italian bticino hardware). Ballpark pricing for a complete system maybe 300,000-600,000 baht. I too would also be interested to hear about any other sources / experiences / suggestions.

I started 3 years ago with controller from Micasaverde and few Fibaro relays and dimmers (all bought in Thailand). Later I expanded system with TKB relays and curtain modules (sourced directly from manufacturer in China). So far I had no issues, whole system is quite reliable. No additional wires are required since it is based on wireless standard - zwave. As you mentioned already I advise you to keep extra space in wall / switch boxes and tell electrician to run neutral wire to every wall box where you intend to place module. Costs are much lower as mentioned above especially if you can install modules yourself (there are guides on www.vesternet.com). Btw there are smart home systems based on other standards too: zigbee, BLE, insteon, arduino with NRF. I've only got experience with zwave and arduinos.

Below are few websites with thai suppliers

http://shop.clever.in.th/z-wave

http://www.iokgroup.com/

http://www.zwaveconnect.com/products.html

http://www.musicforyoucompany.com/index.php?mo=28&id=752611

http://www.smarthomeasia.in.th/

And heres the things you dont know

1 they might use any colour wire or all the same, they dont really care

2 They might use any size wire

3 they will bundle all the neutrals together

4 the Earth wire may well go nowhere except into the wall

you might think hes good but I would still check, I had an electrician worked for PEA and I had all of the above, I got rid of him and did it myself

What you want will most likely all be out of date in a very short time, great as it sounds and just wait until something goes wrongblink.png

We have smart lighting. It's btcino brand. You can have scenes and there is an app for control via the Internet. Very nice, and zero problems.

I wish we had smart aircon. It would be nice to turn it on a few minutes before getting home.

For something cheap and reliable, I've been using Broadlink line of products http://www.ibroadlink.com/

Use it mainly to turn on and off AC at certain time, I've bought their temperature sensor which enables you to turn on and off based on temperature of the room. Haven't tried it yet.

Products I've used are the RM Pro ($35), and RM Mini 3 (under $20), for turning on AC remotely through the app on the phone. These are very basic devices, nothing fancy like what you are after. I use it to cool the condo room off before I get home. Its cheap, reliable, and works well.

If you buy from US, voltage will be different, not worth the risk of putting a power converter to make it run. I don't think its worth it to install in Thailand, nobody can help you fix it if there is a problem with the system unless you go through local distributor - which will cost a lot, replacement parts tend to cost a bit as well. If you don't mind the cost here, go for it. I had friends who have it in the US, quite frankly its kind of useless. Its faster to walk to switch a light of than to open up an app, or get the universal remote. Its a WOW device to have and show off but rarely gets used out of habit.

Smart door locks will require backup power, many systems doors will unlock with power outrage. Not the best place for home automation really. Just more hassle.

Security System - I find that majority of the people that install sensor security end up not using it after a couple of months, its a hassle to turn it on and off, many times people forget that its on and walk to an "armed" area of the room triggering the alarm (you can set delay time for the alarm to trigger, but people still forget). For outside, mine has been trigger by cats/dogs/birds/tree branches/ etc in the middle of the night. Sensor with flood light is a better alternative as a deterrent. Stick with IP Video Cameras. I have seen thais wire the top of their wall with low wattage wires - if you want to go that route.

Smart Lighting - Most people end up using two functions, all on or dim for reading / listening to music. Have it in my home theater room, ceiling lights will flicker if its too dim, or if the systems setting switches the light off by slowly dimming the lights - this gets annoying. But new systems should be more configurable with led lights, not a problem. My system is 10 years old and I'm not using led lights.

Smart AC Control - Is probably the useful one if you want to keep your house cool and don't mind the increase electricity bill.

I find Video Door Phone systems useful if you live in the house, if you don't have guests or stuff delivered regularly, its kind of useless too.

Keep it simple is my best advice if you want home automation.

• 4 weeks later...

We have smart lighting. It's btcino brand. You can have scenes and there is an app for control via the Internet. Very nice, and zero problems.

I wish we had smart aircon. It would be nice to turn it on a few minutes before getting home.

May I ask who your supplier was?

Archived