Newbie Mint query

bluesofa

I’m a Linux newbie, with definite emphasis on the word “newbie”. A couple of years ago I went back to the UK for a few months and a friend installed Mint Cinnamon 64 bit for me.

Being a programmer, he’s more technical than me, but even he couldn’t get it working properly, despite telling me Linux was the best thing since sliced bread.

I’m not having a pop at Linux here, just my observation that I feel that Linux is not just for regular PC users.

Having used Windows for 20-odd years, I know(-ish) how things work. But Linux is a different kettle of fish, very scary to me, as I have absolutely no understanding of what anything does or how it works. It took me ages to realise when told “go into terminal mode” it meant the same as opening a Dos-box in Windows.

I uninstalled Mint as I ran out of disk space before. Now I’m having a second attempt. Installed Cinnamon again (dual booting with W7), managed to get it to upgrade to 17.3. I wanted to run Thunderbird and Lightning Calendar on both systems, hoping I could share the same email data on my Windows data partition.

I asked on one of the mint forums if I could do this, and was told I could.

I asked in the newbie section, and they went into great detail about using programs I’d never even heard of, let alone knew what they were or how to use them, so I was completely lost.

The more important problems I have are, 1) I can’t adjust the screen brightness, and 2) I can’t get the internal speakers to work (both OK on W7). However, if I plug in the headphones I can hear the audio.

I’m using a laptop, Gateway 1D57H.

I doubt if there’s somewhere in the Udon area competent to solve these two issues?

I'd give up on trying to Thunderbird through 2 separate OS's, for now anyway.

For the other stuff,I'd suggest to try running Linux from a bootable USB, see if the problem still exists. There's a good chance everything will work and you can just do a fresh install.

The speakers work OK with Windows?

I'd give up on trying to Thunderbird through 2 separate OS's, for now anyway.

For the other stuff,I'd suggest to try running Linux from a bootable USB, see if the problem still exists. There's a good chance everything will work and you can just do a fresh install.

The speakers work OK with Windows?

Yes the speakers work OK with Windows.

Originally in the UK my friend ran Mint via my CD, with the same two problems. He thought installing it on the HD might overcome it, but it didn't, and this is the second install on the HD now.

I think when you upgraded from 17.2 it left out some drivers. A fresh install would probably fix it, loading from a USB would tell you real quick if that's the problem.

I think when you upgraded from 17.2 it left out some drivers. A fresh install would probably fix it, loading from a USB would tell you real quick if that's the problem.

Sorry to say no again.

It was run in the UK and not upgraded, same two issues.

Also after I installed Mint here a few weeks ago, I ran it before upgrading it, same problem. (I'm guessing that was Mint 17.0, as it didn't seem to have a version number?)

I thought upgrading to V17.3 might solve it, but no luck. I upgrading from 17.0 to 17.3 in one go.

I'll boot it off the CD and get back to you.

Thanks for your help.

I do not know Mint but do use Ubuntu, which is quiet similar. For the sound on your pc, check the settings menu (in Ubuntu a wheel with spanner icon)

look for an icon with Sound an click

Open that and on the tab output , check the systems recognised. the one required should read Built-in audio

there is (in Ubuntu) a button to test the sound : Right , Left.

I loaded Mint via the CD. Before I started, I checked the Bios was set to look for the CD first. It started to load Mint from the CD, then after a short while, the dual boot screen appeared, which confused me. I don’t know if Mint was being too clever for it’s own good and realising there was a HD installation already?

Anyway, I opted in the dual bootloader for the Mint option and it then carried on and loaded from the HD.

I don’t how this has happened, but after this odd startup, the speakers started working!

So thanks, very much, you’ve managed to get my audio working, not that I know how.

I did check the screen brightness, but I still can’t alter that. You can’t win ‘em all.
I’ve restarted Mint a few times, as well as d/loading some updates it notified me about. So far the speakers are fine.

Thanks for the post about checking the sound settings, although that was the first thing I tried.

i was having a hard time following all your upgrades. You should be able click on the battery power icon in the lower right and get a pop-up sliding switch to adjust the brightness or go into application menu in the bottom left and go to power management

Oh dear. After the euphoria of getting the speakers working, they’ve now stopped again.

When they started to work, I rebooted Mint a few times and all was OK. Since then, I went back into Windows and then to Mint. That’s when the speakers stopped. Trying to be logical about that, maybe booting into Windows affects something?

I even tried running the Mint CD again and then starting Mint, but to no avail.

Sadly, this for me bears out what I said in my OP, that Linux isn’t straightforward to use, there seems to be something you need to fiddle about with. I just want to be able to start it up and run it.

You sure it's not a bad connection with your speaker? Kind of odd for it to cut out llke that.

C'mon! They're internal latop speakers. Even if in the very unlikely event there was a loose connection, they've never cut out on Windows, they're working now (running Win7). It's ONLY on Mint they don't work (apart from an hour just now). I reckon it must be a driver not loading, or preventing being loaded?

in terminal type alsamixer and check the outputs are enabled and turned up....they should have green, white then red bars if turned up fully.

Also before updating anything make sure you type sudo apt-get update in the terminal, otherwise when you update something it might use an outdated repository, which can sometimes cause problems.

A lot of people dont do this and wonder why things stop working after updates.

rhythmworx, thanks for your suggestion.

A while back someone else suggested the same thing. I checked the settings – as far as I could make out anyway. They seemed OK to me. I've attached a pic of them.

However if you read the text below, you can see there are certain circumstances when I can now get the speakers to work.

I do hope you can follow what I've written. I really have tried to keep it precise – I don't know if I've been successful though?

Mint Cinnamon 64bit 17.3 recap:

Dual booting W7 & Mint.

Running Windows 7: all audio works consistently.

Running Mint: internal speakers no audio, headphones work OK. The first time the speakers worked in Mint was after interrupting booting up with a Mint CD, then restarting and running Mint via the Hard Disk. Rebooted Mint (using HD) half a dozen times and speakers worked every time. This was without running W7.

After running W7 (all audio OK there), then running Mint the speakers stop working in Mint.

If I run Mint again from the CD, but eject the CD as soon as the Mint logo appears In the centre of the screen, then restart the laptop and run Mint on the HD, the speakers work – until I start W7 and then go back to Mint, and they stop working in Mint.

I mentioned that I abort Mint on the CD. If I allow the CD to bootup Mint, the speakers don't work in CD mode, neither do they if afterwards I shut down Mint on the CD and start it up on the HD.

It is specifically only if I interupt Mint on the CD then startup with the HD the speakers will work.

Does that help, or just cause confusion?

post-4903-0-13729400-1464919873_thumb.pn

did you put in the space after cat?

Also try going to alsa mixer and use the cursor to get to the SP/DIF section and mute it with the M key.

Sorry, hopeless student here.

When typed correctly, it says:

0 snd_hda_intel

The S/PDIF section had MM in it already. Is that muted already?

I see if I put the cursor in that one and press "M" there's something top left of the window called: "Item: S/PDIF [Off]" It was Off with MM, if I press M again, it toggles to remove the "[Off]" and also puts "00" in the box at the bottom.

Which one do I want?

MM is muted.

What does this report?

aplay -l

It says:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: CX20588 Analog [CX20588 Analog]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: CX20588 Digital [CX20588 Digital]

card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]

Just to confirm: I need to leave S/PDIF muted?

OK your is similar to mine but need more info, dont worry about the SPDIF for now

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install inxi

then in full screen terminal

inxi -F

copy and paste the Audio: card, driver, sound, ver line

I'm afraid I have no idea whatsoever what I'm doing now.

It's all gobbledy-gook.

Is this what you want?

Audio: Card Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k3.13.0-24-generic

I also tried to close that aslamixer window, but it said:

There is still a process running in this terminal. Closing the terminal will kill it.

This is solvable its just a matter of patience. One thing I noticed is your ALSA is 3.13.0-24....im on 17.2 and mine is 3.16.038....have you done software updates since installation? I can see on the screenshot that there are some you still havent done.

I recommend updating or at least seeing if theres an alsa update in the list....if you dont want to do that try this and then test the audio

pulseaudio --start

This is solvable its just a matter of patience. One thing I noticed is your ALSA is 3.13.0-24....im on 17.2 and mine is 3.16.038....have you done software updates since installation? I can see on the screenshot that there are some you still havent done.

I recommend updating or at least seeing if theres an alsa update in the list....if you dont want to do that try this and then test the audio

pulseaudio --start

I really appreciate the help you're giving me. It's just that I understand nothing about what you've just said.

What software updates? Where?

All I know is I saw a message a couple of weeks back telling me to upgrade to Rosa, so I clicked it. That's all I know.

How do I update? what am I looking for?

Try this ALT +F2 then type

gksu gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

at the very botton.new line enter this

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop

Save then reboot check audio if not working try pulseaudio --start (note the double hyphen)

------------------------------

If that doesnt work remove the line you added by running

ALT +F2 then type

delete line resave

I've just typed what you said:

N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {5c6bb2063eebcbb180029b69572b39ce}unix:/run/user/1000/pulse/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper.

Yeah thats OK ,,,try my suggestion above this post

Try this ALT +F2 then type

at the very botton.new line enter this

options snd-hda-intel model=laptop

Save then reboot check audio if not working try pulseaudio --start (note the double hyphen)

------------------------------

If that doesnt work remove the line you added by running

ALT +F2 then type

delete line resave

I clicked on the blue icon and it's done half a dozen updates - no idea what though.

The stuff above is getting out of my comfort level now, I think I'll have another look in the morning.

Archived